Has Conference Realignment at Last Reached a Lull? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Has Conference Realignment at Last Reached a Lull?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Maryland was a destitute former executive standing on a corner with a sign..."will move for money...Can't pay my bills..desperate!"

And yet their football schedule is way better than Florida State's. Strange days indeed.

Reaction Score
Depends on your vantage point...playing Midwestern teams year in and out would not be a better schedule for FSU then playing Miami, Florida, and Clemson....

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Depends on your vantage point...playing Midwestern teams year in and out would not be a better schedule for FSU then playing Miami, Florida, and Clemson....

Take the average Maryland schedule
going forward and the average FSU schedule going forward and let me know which one is better.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not an FSU fan in the slightest, but FSU's schedule this year is not easy.

Eh. Lot of bark and not much bite. Good OOC names but probably looks better on paper than in reality.

Reaction Score
Maryland left because of money. That's it. They will almost double their revenue from TV with the move and there is something to be said for long-term B1G security. The ACC and B12 are both conferences that will need to continue to defend itself against the likes of the B1G, SEC or PAC. One of those conferences will be raided at some point, so MD decided not to chance it and they got themselves a seat in the upper elite P5 while it could.
Finances were a part of it, yes, but it was just part of the issue. UMCP fans thought the the ACC no longer meant anything to them after schools were added. It is similar to Nebraska fans feeling left out of the Big 8 when it became the Big 12. Sometimes it is just the school feeling it no longer belong. I would use these as cautionary tales for conferences that want to expand. Make sure that your long-time members believe that they have a stake in the conference going forward before adding. The B12 and ACC didn't heed those lessons early on and other conferences took advantage of their vulnerabilities as a result. I hope the ACC learned to value every one of the members so that this won't repeat. It's an open question whether the B1G can integrate UNL, RU and UMCP without alienating the other members or whether the SEC will ease in A&M and Mizzou w/o one or two long-time members getting unhappy.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Take the average Maryland schedule
going forward and the average FSU schedule going forward and let me know which one is better.

Better is in the eye of the beerholder.

Not for us FSU fans....Playing So Cal and Oregon every year or Michigan and Ohio State might sound great...but not for our alumni footprint, not for our recruiting footprint.

I would not trade Maryland's schedule for FSU's....Clemson has become a rivalry game, Florida is the enemy that we hate but hold dear and Miami is a historic rivalry.

While playing midwestern teams might make sense for Maryland...it makes no sense for FSU.....just like playing BC and Syracuse makes no sense...and FSU fans find no joy in these games.

I have always stated that the best rivalries usually have an element of proximity to them.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
While I admit that I cheer against Ohio State (my dad was a Michigan grad and I learned at his knee)...I do note that in their last three games with FSU rival opponents, they lost.

Clemson 2013, Florida 2012, Miami 2011.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Better is in the eye of the beerholder.

Not for us FSU fans....Playing So Cal and Oregon every year or Michigan and Ohio State might sound great...but not for our alumni footprint, not for our recruiting footprint.

I would not trade Maryland's schedule for FSU's....Clemson has become a rivalry game, Florida is the enemy that we hate but hold dear and Miami is a historic rivalry.

While playing midwestern teams might make sense for Maryland...it makes no sense for FSU.....just like playing BC and Syracuse makes no sense...and FSU fans find no joy in these games.

I have always stated that the best rivalries usually have an element of proximity to them.

You are a bit brain dead aren't you? You've done nothing but complain about how bad most of the ACC teams are all through the thread, and now this nonsense.

You and that Virginia idiot didn't start out so bad but now it's just painful trolling.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Eh. Lot of bark and not much bite. Good OOC names but probably looks better on paper than in reality.

Just for humor's sake... if FSU and OSU swapped places, would either's in-conference schedule be any better? Neither is exactly the SEC, PAC or even the B12. Not sure I buy the "great B1G" football argument as long as UM and PSU aren't powers. Same with the ACC with VT and Miami being down. I think both conferences have been mediocre in football for a long time.

Reaction Score
Random thoughts on that:

Purdue has a habit of giving Ohio State fits. Wake Forest would not do the same.

A road game in the Big Ten is always an adventure. A road game against BC, not so much.

Injuries to your line can be masked against an ACC opponent. It will be exploited in the Big Ten.

Reaction Score
Just for humor's sake... if FSU and OSU swapped places, would either's in-conference schedule be any better? Neither is exactly the SEC, PAC or even the B12. Not sure I buy the "great B1G" football argument as long as UM and PSU aren't powers. Same with the ACC with VT and Miami being down. I think both conferences have been mediocre in football for a long time.

B12? B12 is pretty weak after UT and OU. What are you seeing? Same for Pac12.

The SEC is nice because it has so many powers in Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Texas A&M and sometimes Tennessee and for the first time in a while Missouri.

I would take the play in the B1G over both the Pac12 and the B12.

Reaction Score
Finances were a part of it, yes, but it was just part of the issue. UMCP fans thought the the ACC no longer meant anything to them after schools were added. It is similar to Nebraska fans feeling left out of the Big 8 when it became the Big 12. Sometimes it is just the school feeling it no longer belong. I would use these as cautionary tales for conferences that want to expand. Make sure that your long-time members believe that they have a stake in the conference going forward before adding. The B12 and ACC didn't heed those lessons early on and other conferences took advantage of their vulnerabilities as a result. I hope the ACC learned to value every one of the members so that this won't repeat. It's an open question whether the B1G can integrate UNL, RU and UMCP without alienating the other members or whether the SEC will ease in A&M and Mizzou w/o one or two long-time members getting unhappy.

It ain't about fans. That is just stupid.

Reaction Score
Random thoughts on that:

Purdue has a habit of giving Ohio State fits. Wake Forest would not do the same.

A road game in the Big Ten is always an adventure. A road game against BC, not so much.

Injuries to your line can be masked against an ACC opponent. It will be exploited in the Big Ten.

I don't see much more adventure in going to Champaign, Evanston, Bloomington, Minneapolis, West Lafayette, College Park and Piscataway versus going to half the ACC games. And the B1G vs ACC was 2-2 with SU losing both regular season games and Clemson and SU winning their bowl games. A pretty poor sample set to base arguments from.

And I'm sure Purdue gives OSU fits, I don't really follow B1G football that closely. But NCSU gives FSU fits and GT gives Clemson fits. That stuff happens in every conference.

Maybe OSU will look high and mighty this year after they beat Tech in the 2nd game of the season. Too bad OSU can't play Clemson or FSU instead to compare apples to apples.

Reaction Score
B12? B12 is pretty weak after UT and OU. What are you seeing? Same for Pac12.

The SEC is nice because it has so many powers in Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Texas A&M and sometimes Tennessee and for the first time in a while Missouri.

I would take the play in the B1G over both the Pac12 and the B12.

OU, Ok State, TT, Baylor and K State have good football teams. Texas is down a bit. The PAC has Oregon, Stanford, USC and UCLA who all have good football teams, with UW being decent last year (but lost their coach). The ACC and B1G aren't as good as either conference IMO.

Reaction Score
OU, Ok State, TT, Baylor and K State have good football teams. Texas is down a bit. The PAC has Oregon, Stanford, USC and UCLA who all have good football teams, with UW being decent last year (but lost their coach). The ACC and B1G aren't as good as either conference IMO.

You're wildly overrating teams. TT? How are they good? K State came back after awful seasons Baylor? Lost twice to UConn in last 5 years. Also lost to UCF in bowl. At best, you have a case for OK State, but I see nothing that differentiates them from middling B1G teams.

Pac12 is the same. USC and Oregon, with Stanford surprisingly coming on last 2 or 3 years, but no one believes they can sustain it.

B1G is Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Michigan st., Nebraska, Wisconsin. These are 6 teams with huge fanbases and a lot of NFL alums and good winning histories. Texas Tech and Baylors of the world don't hold a candle to these 6.

Reaction Score
You are a bit brain dead aren't you? You've done nothing but complain about how bad most of the ACC teams are all through the thread, and now this nonsense.

You and that Virginia idiot didn't start out so bad but now it's just painful trolling.

No...I am not brain dead...I prefer playing regional teams...and I do wish that some ACC Opponents were better....Clemson. Miami, and Florida all have the potential to have good years....as Ohio State can attest.

Few teams are consistently great, year in and out, but the good ones do have nice runs now and again. We do need more performance in football from some ACC programs.

Don't be obtuse and pretend that you don't see my argument....regional opponents=good thing.....non competitive opponents=a bad thing.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think the Pac 12 is way ahead of the Big 10 right now. Just list the head coaches top to bottom. No question which one is stronger.

Reaction Score
And yet their football schedule is way better than Florida State's. Strange days indeed.
What measure are you using for this claim? Just curious. I would use strength of the opponents if I were to make it.
FSU in 2014 is playing 7 bowl teams from 2013, 4 bowl winners. Maryland is playing 5 bowl teams from 2013, and 2 bowl winners. They overlap with one of the bowl winners in Syracuse. Just curious where you are coming from with this claim.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What measure are you using for this claim? Just curious. I would use strength of the opponents if I were to make it.
FSU in 2014 is playing 7 bowl teams from 2013, 4 bowl winners. Maryland is playing 5 bowl teams from 2013, and 2 bowl winners. They overlap with one of the bowl winners in Syracuse. Just curious where you are coming from with this claim.

I was talking in generalities going forward.

2014 is pretty close. How many won bowl games last season doesn't mean .

Don't you guys have anything better to do than obsess over Maryland?

Reaction Score

Come on Whaler11, you can figure out where he's coming from. He wants to be playing in the SEC. He sees those teams as better competition. The Big Ten is worse than the ACC and also farther away. There is nothing attractive in a Big Ten schedule for Florida State. I've realized after being here a while that people in the northeast view the Big Ten a whole lot differently than people in the south. The Big Ten isn't followed in the south, and never has been really. Most southern football fans aren't impressed. Saying it tends to make some posters here mad, but it is the case.

Reaction Score
I was talking in generalities going forward.

2014 is pretty close. How many won bowl games last season doesn't mean .

Don't you guys have anything better to do than obsess over Maryland?
My only obsession over Maryland is that I want them to pay the full exit fee. Other than that, they're gone. I do not see a huge loss for the conference, and I've debated that here many times. In honoring not to do it over and over again as some have asked, let's drop that now.

Reaction Score
I think the Pac 12 is way ahead of the Big 10 right now. Just list the head coaches top to bottom. No question which one is stronger.

Urban Meyer, Mark Dantonio, James Franklin, Pat Fitzgerald, Kirk Ferentz. A good 5.
Mark Helfrich, Jim Mora Jr., David Shaw, Mike Leach, Chris Petersen. Another good 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom