Giants | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Giants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Coughlin loses game after game with his lousy game day coaching. He is one of the worse in the league at managing the clock, that has cost the giants at least four game this season.

And worse, his goal for the team this year was "finishing." If that was his main goal, he has failed miserably. The giants have led in the last two minutes 10 times this year. Ten times. They have blow the lead five ties.

Finally, if this is such a big talent program, how has the team managed to lead game with less than two minutes left. That is proof they have not been short on talent. They have the talent to play with anyone --even with the rash of injuries. That is badge of honor for Reese.

Yes, Eli and the defense dragged his sorry ass to the SB twice. But even in those games his clock management made him look like a donkey.
I've always liked Coughlin and I respect what he has accomplished but it's either him or the offensive coordinator making those crazy end of game calls. Honestly, yesterday's call to go for it on 4th down with 8 minutes is not the way he used to coach, he was very conservative closing out games in past years. Maybe it's the blood flow to his brain.

Reaction Score
I have always been a Coughlin fan, like his style and manner. But this year has seen too much clock mismanagemenet, and he's also making uncharacteristic calls. 4th down yesterday, that pointless challenge of the spot that might have made a difference of 2 meaningless yards? Its just not the way he's been. I hate to say it and I haven't before today, but its time. It seems like his best days are behind him.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'm just looking for the right thread to say LoL Pats. Is this the right one?

Come on, this is just your sneaky way of gloating after the Jets over the Giants yesterday. Sniffed that out from a mile away.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Come on, this is just your sneaky way of gloating after the Jets over the Giants yesterday. Sniffed that out from a mile away.
I get pretty much ZERO gloating opportunities as a football fan. Please let me have my one perfect day. A late win over the Giants and then the Eagles taking out the Pats? Thats my frickin' Superbowl man. Ive got nothing else.

Reaction Score
The fact that it seems to be a near consensus among Giant fans to fire Coughlin is baffling to me. I understand that this would signal the fourth year in a row without a postseason appearance, but HE'S WON TWO SUPER BOWLS IN THE LAST EIGHT YEARS. As an Eagles fan, I'd give just about anything for them to win one of those things. I don't want to say some of you are spoiled but some of you are spoiled. I realize it's senseless to pay now for past victories, but at what point do those past victories - victories of which, by the way, followed almost identical dialogue that is ongoing now - represent a pattern of success that is, if not perfectly predictable, at least plausible?

Look, Andy Reid coached my team for over a decade. And as much as I love the guy, there cannot possibly ever be a coach in the history of sports that consistently provoked more unbridled confusion and frustration from his fan base. So I get it - it's one thing to watch your team lose, it's another to watch them lose in a fashion that causes you to question whether sports is just another word for self-harm.

But s***, if the results of four and eight years ago are going to be so thoughtlessly described as events that have no baring on the future, then maybe we should at least consider the fact that there have been a hell of a lot of plays this season that, completely independent of coaching, also have no baring on the future.

I'll ask: if Eli Manning doesn't throw the ball away against Dallas, if Landon Collins doesn't drop an interception that amounted to a fair catch, if Stephen Gostowski doesn't nail a 55 yard field goal (I can go on)...are you saying the same thing right now? Because if you're not, then I think you're making what ought to be a purely objective decision in the aftermath of a game where human emotion makes that impossible.

Frankly, I don't think the Giants are very talented. Until JPP returned, their front seven was among the worst in the league. They can't run the ball. Their offensive line has been poor. As a coach, there's not a whole hell of a lot you can do when you're starting from a disadvantage on both sides of the line of scrimmage...and yet still, this is a team that could easily be 8-4.

Coughlin is part of the problem, not the problem. But he was part of the problem four years ago and eight years ago, too, and then suddenly he became part of the success. I understand wanting to go with a younger guy if the future is going to demand a painful rebuilding process, but if you're rational for cutting ties is that he went for it up ten today (a decision I agree with, by the way) then I think you're looking at this wrong.

Because there's nothing suspicious about an Eagles fan imploring the Giants to hold onto Coughlin.

Reaction Score
Coughlin's post game interview he says "I still think it was the right decision to go for the 4th and 2." If the Giants took the field goal the Jets still need 2 touchdowns to win 24-23. A touchdown and a field goal are not that hard to get in 8 minutes, 2 touchdowns, another story. The fact that he can't say he screwed up finishes it for me. Sure the Giants defense sucks no doubt but we need new blood at the top.

Reaction Score
Mau, you're way off here. Romo had a great line ONE season (last year), and he put up MVP numbers. The year before that the line was average to above-average, every other season it's been bad. He's still put up great numbers. Eli is more clutch, and plays better in the playoffs, but during the regular season there's no question who's the better QB.

That's hilarious. But hey Rico I respect you too. Give Eli Tony's line and this one isn't close, he never gets touched .

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
That's hilarious. But hey Rico I respect you too. Give Eli Tony's line and this one isn't close, he never gets touched .

What's your point? Romo is probably the MVP last year if not for Rodgers, and that's the one year he had a great line. But he had plenty of years with a crappy line, and he never came close to the 25 INTs that Eli has thrown twice.

I'm not saying Eli is bad, he's a good QB and he always raises his game in the playoffs, but he's been closer to mediocre in the regular season than elite.

Reaction Score
Coughlin's post game interview he says "I still think it was the right decision to go for the 4th and 2." If the Giants took the field goal the Jets still need 2 touchdowns to win 24-23. A touchdown and a field goal are not that hard to get in 8 minutes, 2 touchdowns, another story. The fact that he can't say he screwed up finishes it for me. Sure the Giants defense sucks no doubt but we need new blood at the top.

I actually do think Coughlin made the right choice there pick up the 1st down and wrap it up, maybe he doesn't trust the defense to get a stop.

Reaction Score
The fact that it seems to be a near consensus among Giant fans to fire Coughlin is baffling to me. I understand that this would signal the fourth year in a row without a postseason appearance, but HE'S WON TWO SUPER BOWLS IN THE LAST EIGHT YEARS. As an Eagles fan, I'd give just about anything for them to win one of those things. I don't want to say some of you are spoiled but some of you are spoiled. I realize it's senseless to pay now for past victories, but at what point do those past victories - victories of which, by the way, followed almost identical dialogue that is ongoing now - represent a pattern of success that is, if not perfectly predictable, at least plausible?

Look, Andy Reid coached my team for over a decade. And as much as I love the guy, there cannot possibly ever be a coach in the history of sports that consistently provoked more unbridled confusion and frustration from his fan base. So I get it - it's one thing to watch your team lose, it's another to watch them lose in a fashion that causes you to question whether sports is just another word for self-harm.

But s***, if the results of four and eight years ago are going to be so thoughtlessly described as events that have no baring on the future, then maybe we should at least consider the fact that there have been a hell of a lot of plays this season that, completely independent of coaching, also have no baring on the future.

I'll ask: if Eli Manning doesn't throw the ball away against Dallas, if Landon Collins doesn't drop an interception that amounted to a fair catch, if Stephen Gostowski doesn't nail a 55 yard field goal (I can go on)...are you saying the same thing right now? Because if you're not, then I think you're making what ought to be a purely objective decision in the aftermath of a game where human emotion makes that impossible.

Frankly, I don't think the Giants are very talented. Until JPP returned, their front seven was among the worst in the league. They can't run the ball. Their offensive line has been poor. As a coach, there's not a whole hell of a lot you can do when you're starting from a disadvantage on both sides of the line of scrimmage...and yet still, this is a team that could easily be 8-4.

Coughlin is part of the problem, not the problem. But he was part of the problem four years ago and eight years ago, too, and then suddenly he became part of the success. I understand wanting to go with a younger guy if the future is going to demand a painful rebuilding process, but if you're rational for cutting ties is that he went for it up ten today (a decision I agree with, by the way) then I think you're looking at this wrong.

I pretty much agree with everything you said, I'm certainly grateful for the 2 Super Bowl runs. Banking off the past is perhaps why they are in the situation their in now. I do think Jerry Reese is getting a pass, the Giants bread and butter has always been power football and a pass rush and they have failed to address those areas while their division opponents have addressed it every year including your Eagles. Reese has lived off of the 2007 draft class, and Ernie Accorsi's players. Reese has hit on their 1st round picks for the most part its past the 1st round where Reese has failed. I definitely hate to see Coughlin go, and I don't expect the Giants to be magically better if they get a new coach. Perhaps it is time to rebuild in the NFL you can do that fast. Since 2012 the Giants have had 4 losing season in a row and are clearly getting worse its just time for a change.

Reaction Score
What's your point? Romo is probably the MVP last year if not for Rodgers, and that's the one year he had a great line. But he had plenty of years with a crappy line, and he never came close to the 25 INTs that Eli has thrown twice.

I'm not saying Eli is bad, he's a good QB and he always raises his game in the playoffs, but he's been closer to mediocre in the regular season than elite.

Last year Romo 3705 yds, 34 TD's , INT's - Eli 4410 yds 30TDs and 14 INT's (didn't have Beckham this first 4 games.) Now Eli played one more game than Tony I admit. But Tony had a great ground game to support him with Murray which also took away from his yards as they did run more, but it also helps your completion % to have a run game. These guys are similar and it can be argued except one gets it down when given the opportunity to shine the other not so much.

Reaction Score
Romo is a terrible QB.

The only reason he considered to be good is fantasy football. He produces fantasy points.

If you judge him by his results on the real field of play, he's below mediocre. In any other era except the fantasy football era, he would be scorned as one of the biggest chokers in history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom