Geno slams door on Tenn game talk | The Boneyard

Geno slams door on Tenn game talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Gosh reading this article? Geno's mouth clearly said no, no, no, but ESPN is carrying on as if he said yes, yes, yes with his eyes....

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Gosh reading this article? Geno's mouth clearly said no, no, no, but ESPN is carrying on as if he said yes, yes, yes with his eyes....
That's because ESPN wants it big time. There was an article in the Courant this AM about that very thing (maybe that's what's linked above). I don't blame Geno one bit.

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
I understand where Geno is coming from but I regret what he said.

I am not ignoring the different type of situation that led to Calhoun's saying he wouldn't ever schedule Boston College again, but I believe the animosity his statements engendered are a contributing factor as to why we were kept out of the ACC.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
That's because ESPN wants it big time. There was an article in the Courant this AM about that very thing (maybe that's what's linked above). I don't blame Geno one bit.

Yeah.....I was just trying to be funny....

Reaction Score
I am proud of coach Auriemma for making these comments. The Lady Vols and their higher ups decided to cancel the series over something false. Our program has moved on and developed intense series with Stanford and The Lady Irish over at Notre Dame. If coaches comments keeps us out of the so called P-5 (Power five Conferences) it is a good thing. The American Athletic Conference, in 4-5 years, will be better than any of the so-called P-5 conferences.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Awesome! I hope we never play them again either. :D

Reaction Score
Very interesting is Tenn's stance on this...... they think they do everything right, and falsely pointed out to NCAA what we did wrong.... they still contend we did something horrible...... will not apologize for falsely accusing us...... yet they want to play us? We do not need this! Hope we meet them though in the tournament

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
ESPN wants a UT vs UCONN game - for UT relevance.

There will be no renewal until Geno gets his apology for Tennessee. And we know that's never going to happen.

And Geno's comments on UT have nothing to do with us being left out of the ACC. Some of our former BE brethren don't want us - BC, Pitt, Syracuse, Miami anybody - plain and simple.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I am proud of coach Auriemma for making these comments. The Lady Vols and their higher ups decided to cancel the series over something false. Our program has moved on and developed intense series with Stanford and The Lady Irish over at Notre Dame. If coaches comments keeps us out of the so called P-5 (Power five Conferences) it is a good thing. The American Athletic Conference, in 4-5 years, will be better than any of the so-called P-5 conferences.

Better at what ?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
And Geno's comments on UT have nothing to do with us being left out of the ACC. Some of our former BE brethren don't want us - BC, Pitt, Syracuse, Miami anybody - plain and simple.
Neither the men's nor the women's basketball teams are a factor in conference realignment. It's all about football and TV revenue.

Reaction Score
Notice that Geno is quoted as saying he COULD care less. That means that yes, he cares about it; possibly very much. If he did not care; he would have said he couldn't care less.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Somebody spiked the egg nog at the ESPN holiday party, and I think they used 151 rum.

Reaction Score
... Hope we meet them though in the tournament

Nah! I hope they get flushed early by some newly hatched 15-seed and go home early in utter humiliation 3 out of the next 4 years. Couldn't happen to a more deserving bunch of fans.

Reaction Score
What I see here is that neither UConn nor Tennessee really cares to renew the series, for their own reasons. Holly has said she really isn't all that interested in the series and neither is Geno. The common denominator is the media who every so often propagates the idea of it, which seems to be making Geno a little more frustrated each time it's brought up. I guess you can't blame them. Like it or not, UConn and Tennessee are the two premier fan bases in WCBB. With respect to all the new, great rivalries, if the two played on ESPN, it would undoubtedly be the highest tv-rated women's game of the year.

However, it looks like anybody wanting this game will have to hope for the NCAA tournament.

Reaction Score
What I see here is that neither UConn nor Tennessee really cares to renew the series, for their own reasons. Holly has said she really isn't all that interested in the series and neither is Geno. The common denominator is the media who every so often propagates the idea of it, which seems to be making Geno a little more frustrated each time it's brought up. I guess you can't blame them. Like it or not, UConn and Tennessee are the two premier fan bases in WCBB. With respect to all the new, great rivalries, if the two played on ESPN, it would undoubtedly be the highest tv-rated women's game of the year.

However, it looks like anybody wanting this game will have to hope for the NCAA tournament.
Poor Holly. About to be fired. Oh well. In Tennessee you either win games [mod edit] or you're out. Guess the honorable Coach Warlick could do neither of those things, so she will be in search of a new job after the new year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Poor Holly. About to be fired. Oh well. In Tennessee you either win games or you're out. Guess the honorable Coach Warlick could do neither of those things, so she will be in search of a new job after the new year.
No way Holly gets fired after this year. She'll get her shot with Diamond and Mercedes on the floor. I think this year's team has a great deal of potential. We took our lumps with Izzy out at Chatt and Texas, but we're back on track.

The team's biggest issue moving forward is our shooting lack of variety on the offensive end, which falls on Holly. Our defense has been stellar, but she has neglected the offensive end and it's showing in a big way. particularly in our guards' putrid 3 pt percentages, with the exception of Ariel. Now that our defense seems to be clicking, I hope that is addressed or this team, like most of ours in the past few years, will indeed underachieve. Holly will have at least 2 more seasons before it is realistically looked at that she could be let go.

Last edited by a moderator:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
ESPN wants the matchup because they are stuck in the past. The series WAS great, but Pat is gone and UConn has become the consistently superior team. UConn v. ND and UConn v. Stanford are now the top match-ups.

Reaction Score
What I see here is that neither UConn nor Tennessee really cares to renew the series, for their own reasons. Holly has said she really isn't all that interested in the series and neither is Geno.
What I remember is that a couple years ago, Holly approached Geno about renewing the series and Geno shot her down pending an apology. Holly then said she wasn't for playing either and wouldn't go against Pat's wishes.

Regarding Geno's Could care less statement, yes, he did mean he could care less, and would do so next year, and the year after that ad infinitum.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Notice that Geno is quoted as saying he COULD care less. That means that yes, he cares about it; possibly very much. If he did not care; he would have said he couldn't care less.
Except that as a colloquialism it doesn't get phrased that way. Such phrases frequently defy analysis.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
A couple of years ago there was some discussion about renewing the series. IIRC Auriemma mentioned that an apology from UTenn would go a long way toward making that happen. Apparently that hasn't happened.

I suspect that if Tennessee apologized, and if the money were right, Auriemma would change his mind.

Reaction Score
There is still a lot of bitterness that exists on both sides. I don't think we will ever play Tennessee in the regular season again. Having said that I think the committee sends Tennessee to Albany in 2015 where they have a chance to meet UCONN in the Regional Final.

Reaction Score
because Holly Warlick [Tennessee’s coach] she was so close to Coach Summitt, so respectful of the history [of animosity between the programs] and she wanted to stand by her. Until that’s all resolved…
Great, so holly is obliged to carry on all of pat's biases, animosities, etc. What does that say about the character of their organization?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom