Friday Conference tournament results | The Boneyard

Friday Conference tournament results

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So Northwestern just downed Minnesota probably ending any chance of a NCAA bid - Banham with 26 but on 7-25 shooting. I assume they will get a chance in the WNIT

Miami advances
Auburn beats Missouri probably insuring a NCAA spot
TN plays at 6PM

Duke over UVA trying to claw back into contention

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Rachel's standing on the career scoring list depends on how many games she has left. It could be as few as 1. Minnesota is at least WNIT worthy.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
So ...
Oregon loses to AZ probably killing their chance of a NCAA
TN easily beats Arkansas
Rutgers comes back to beat Nebraska

and Dayton after their lovely run last year will miss the dance this year going down to George Mason

Reaction Score
So ...
Oregon loses to AZ probably killing their chance of a NCAA
TN easily beats Arkansas
Rutgers comes back to beat Nebraska

and Dayton after their lovely run last year will miss the dance this year going down to George Mason

Oregon was doomed after Alleyne's injury. They're definitely out.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Rachel's standing on the career scoring list depends on how many games she has left. It could be as few as 1. Minnesota is at least WNIT worthy.

Is there a limit on the number of teams per conference that can get WNIT bids?

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Is there a limit on the number of teams per conference that can get WNIT bids?

Okay, never mind; I just checked. Minnesota will definitely get a WNIT invite. Each conference gets one automatic-qualifier bid to the WNIT, which is the team with the best conference record that doesn't get an NCAA invite. Minnesota will be that team in the Big Ten.

While Charlie Creme may have written off Minnesota's chances, their coach hasn't given up the fight. She was quoted on ESPN still giving the hard lobby for her team: "When you're looking at a team on the bubble like we are, you look at the eye test piece, and I think it's a no-brainer. It would be a travesty not to have her [Banham] in the NCAA tournament."

I must admit I find it annoying that ESPN's segment on this game consisted of 4 highlights: 3 made baskets by Banham (that's 3 out of her 7 field goals) and then one made basket by Northwestern. Seems a bit disproportionate.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Much bigger day today with the 'chaff' of first round games out of the way in most of the P5.
We'll see if TN's improved demeanor can carry them against real competition - TAMU
Last night GA lost to Vandy which just shows that TN win at home wasn't quite that big with their injuries starter.
Miami v FSU 11AM, and KY v Florida 2PM are the early 'good' games, and I am curious about Vandy v MSST later as MSST has not yet convinced me they are good. NCSt v Syracuse and Purdue v MSU also should be interesting

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Conference tourney's make me so confused. So, if you are already a #1 seed they don't matter you could completely tank and then take 2.5 weeks to practice for the NCAA... but if you sucked all year but then cruise through the conference tourney on adrenaline, a bit of focus, and some lucky breaks you are in to the NCAA... right? No matter what the season if you win your conference tourney you are in correct?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Conference tourney's make me so confused. So, if you are already a #1 seed they don't matter you could completely tank and then take 2.5 weeks to practice for the NCAA... but if you sucked all year but then cruise through the conference tourney on adrenaline, a bit of focus, and some lucky breaks you are in to the NCAA... right? No matter what the season if you win your conference tourney you are in correct?
There are about 10 regular season conference champions who are in the NCAA already because their record is so good/their schedule was so strong - the P5 plus BE, AAC, A10, plus probably James Madison, Green Bay, BYU this year and of course the Ivy League which doesn't have a tournament. There are a few more that might be bubbly, like SoDak/SDState and FGCU. Beyond that, yes it is win the tournament or look to the WNIT - but the conferences themselves make their rules for the automatic bid, not the NCAA. There have been discussions on a yearly basis whether some conferences should change their rules, but it is just speculation because I don't think any conference has actually considered a change.
With the above in place, all the bubble teams, both in and out, pray for other bubble teams to lose early in conference tournaments, for the teams already firmly in the tournament to play to form, and for teams like James Madison, Green Bay, and BYU to win their tournament so they don't take one of the expected bubble spots off the table by putting a conference mate in with them. If Uconn were to lose to Temple or even possibly Memphis/Tulane in a semifinal, that loss probably would push the winner into the tournament - same would hold true for board line teams in any of the P5. A scary prospect for teams living on the edge.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Minny's coach said it would be a travesty if Banham is not in the NCAA's. Not sure about that, but at 19-11, they are certainly a bubble team - their only really good win is over Ohio STate, which is a really good win. Would you put them in over Temple, who has no win as impressive as that one? It's a tough call for sure...

Reaction Score
Dunno about James Madison. RPI #36 and no top 50 wins.
Green Bay has a great RPI (19), but also no top 50 wins. Further more, all 3 of its losses are to teams that won't make the tourney. (Rutgers, UVA, Oakland).
BYU is in a stronger position with a win over Texas A&M.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Minny's coach said it would be a travesty if Banham is not in the NCAA's. Not sure about that, but at 19-11, they are certainly a bubble team - their only really good win is over Ohio STate, which is a really good win. Would you put them in over Temple, who has no win as impressive as that one? It's a tough call for sure...
Minnesota has an RPI 77 which takes some serious scheduling magic in a P5 conference and they just lost to Northwestern with an RPI of 112. Sorry but they just didn't take care of their business - the ONLY decent win they have is their shocker against Maryland. They have a great player, but that gets you nothing if you do not win enough games.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
First big upset - Miami over FSU which puts a top 16 seed in question for FSU - huge loss and an opening for DePaul maybe hosting the first two rounds.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
FSU is an enigma to me sometimes. They have the talent and I have seen them in games look dominant and other times flat. Today was a flat day.
Miami looked great and deserved the win.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
What's funny is that the two regular season wins against Miami were easily Florida State's two best wins. Now they've lost to them, too. Meaning every top 25-ish team they've played this year (Florida, Arizona State, UConn, Notre Dame, Louisville, Syracuse, Miami) has beaten them.

Reaction Score
Big 10

Fun game going on with Indiana and Northwestern tied at the half 35 - 35.

Nia Coffey for Northwestern had an outstanding half.....19 points 7 rebounds and three blocks. Indiana with more balanced scoring being led by Tyra Buss with 10.

Reaction Score
With current results, Creme has Tennessee getting an 8 seed...
...in the Bridgeport bracket, which means...STORRS!!

HuskyFan1125

Reaction Score
Cal has been leading top seed ASU the entire game on the PAC12.

I'm flipping between that and the Kentucky/Florida game.

HuskyFan1125

Reaction Score
Cal up 59-46 with 8 minutes in the 4th. ASU is not a scoring team and I wonder if they can make this up in enough time.

Meanwhile Kentucky is lighting up Florida 70-49. Havnt kept up with Kentucky but the announcers are saying the kittens are playing the hottest basketball in the sec right now

Reaction Score
Cal up 59-46 with 8 minutes in the 4th. ASU is not a scoring team and I wonder if they can make this up in enough time.

Meanwhile Kentucky is lighting up Florida 70-49. Havnt kept up with Kentucky but the announcers are saying the kittens are playing the hottest basketball in the sec right now

KY had a midseason swoon in which they lost 4 of 5, including one to (gulp) Ole Miss.
Since then they have won 7 in a row (before today), including @Miss St & @TAMU. Should be an interesting matchup with SCar.

Reaction Score
12th place Northwestern followed up its upset of #5 Minnesota yday, with a win over #4 Indiana. This pushes the #4 Hoosiers onto the bubble.

Nwestern has won 2 big ten games in the past 2 days. During the whole season, they won 4 (of 18).

HuskyFan1125

Reaction Score
Arizona State is going down to Cal. The Bears lead 72-60 with 1:15 to go in the 4th.

HuskyFan1125

Reaction Score
California shooting 69% from the floor!!!! That will upset a few teams!

Leading 74-62

HuskyFan1125

Reaction Score
75-64 Cal upsets ASU.

Biggest upset in PAC12 history, 10 seed over 2 seed.

Led by PAC12 FOY Kristine Anigwe 24pts 11reb. She is an impressive athletic player. Does NOT play like a freshman.

Reaction Score
Does this bounce ASU out of a 2 seed? I think Louisville might be more deserving (or Ohio State,
or Stanford or UCLA if either of those two win the PAC12 tournament).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom