February Recruiting Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

February Recruiting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogstar

Of course I'm Sirius
Reaction Score
Bett's team couldn't get the ball past half court for her in a lot of games. She has her younger sister, who is a good player, but if you can't get the ball to the post you will have a tough time utilizing her talent. Watch her with USA basketball for a better eval. As the youngest player on the team she put up great numbers. She shot 64% and had 9.6 rebounds in 16.9 minutes of pt on average. Twice as many blocked shots as anyone else on the team. Extrapolated to 40 minutes, she would have been well over 23 points per game with 4 blocks and around 22 rebounds a game.
Her younger sister is Sienna, a 6'3 forward class of 2025.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
2/2

Morgan Cheli: 24 points, 11 rebounds

2/1

Keziah Lofton: 18 points, 6 assists, 4 steals, 3 blocks

Priyanka Ponnam: 25 points

Reaction Score
Let’s pump the brakes a little! She’s averaging 15 & 10 with 31/2 blocks. Nice numbers but come on, she’s 6’7” in high school! It seems to me that those numbers are pretty low considering her size advantage in virtually every game. People throw the “generational” tag around so much that it’s in danger of becoming meaningless. Now, she may be exactly what you say but she also may be just a nice player who happens to be a couple of inches taller than the usual 6’4”-6’5” kids we see so much of these days. I might regret it but right now, I’d have to take M. Williams or O Olson over her. (I realize they are in different years) Again, not putting her down, I just think she hasn’t really earned the kind of breathless awe you seem to be according her!
Betts was the dominent force on the USA All Star team playing in Europe this
summer. The team included Amari DeBerry and Azzi Fudd among many
other notable. She did not have to play many minutes. This was against
the national teams that had already made it though the section process. The
USA guard won the MVP, I believe, .... was it Caitlin? Betts was one of
the youngest players on the team. So.... many good players.....
Of course Mikayla Williams was the MVP for the Gold Winning
USA 3 X 3 team in Europe... again against the world's best 3 X 3 teams.
There are many stars in the bright WBB sky!

Reaction Score
Betts was the dominent force on the USA All Star team playing in Europe this
summer. The team included Amari DeBerry and Azzi Fudd among many
other notable. She did not have to play many minutes. This was against
the national teams that had already made it though the section process. The
USA guard won the MVP, I believe, .... was it Caitlin? Betts was one of
the youngest players on the team. So.... many good players.....
Of course Mikayla Williams was the MVP for the Gold Winning
USA 3 X 3 team in Europe... again against the world's best 3 X 3 teams.
There are many stars in the bright WBB sky!
Azzi Fudd was injured the entire time.

Reaction Score
Fudd started in the championship game vs Australia. She was just getting back into playing, if my memory serves me correctly.

After re-watching this video, it struck me that the player who changed the most, physically, over the past 6 months is Citron.

Reaction Score
Having watched several Dunmore games via generously imbedded thread videos, “C” certainly looks to have an impressive profile & skillset.

However, for those that have studied her tape more extensively, any concern about middling rebounding stats given her 6’4” (she has grown since initial prep line) length & relative size/caliber of her H.S. competition?

I read that she grew up playing guard prior to her growth spurt so comfortable on perimeter, which is clear from her handle, consistent floor spacing, & smooth, rangy shot. Perhaps this guard mindset has thus far restricted her penchant/desire to bang in paint?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Watching several Dunmore games via generously imbedded thread videos, “C” certainly looks to have an impressive profile & skillset.
However, for those that have studied her tape more extensively, any concern about middling rebounding stats given her 6’4” (she has grown since initial prep line) length & relative size/caliber of her H.S. competition?
I read that she grew up playing guard prior to her growth spurt so comfortable on perimeter, which is clear from her handle, consistent floor spacing, & smooth, rangy shot. Perhaps this guard mindset has thus far restricted her penchant/desire to play physical in paint?
Yes there have been some concerns. If I'm not mistaken @BobbyJ recently expresses a concern that C might be developing some bad post habits as a result of playing against small players. Hardly a UCONN recruit comes to UCONN without some level of BY concern and many of those concern turn out to be flat out wrong. Full personal disclosure: In the past I was concerned about Megan Walkers shooting, Caroline Ducharme level of HS competition and her foot speed, & Piath late start in basketball. BTW a recent video of C posted last month she remarked that one of the biggest improvements in her game has been the ability to handle contact- which was very very encouraging.

Reaction Score
I thought that Toomey's competition level was a concern until she faced some elite players in a big tournament and dominated. She shot up the rankings right after. That was when I first heard of her.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
2/3

Sarah Strong full line:

27 points (9-16 FG, 4-6 3-PT, 5-7 FT), 20 rebounds, 5 assists, 2 blocks

Not to detract from anything that she's doing, but Grace Christian is in the smallest NCISAA classification, 1A, meaning there are fewer than 100 kids 9-12. There is very, very little competition for her at that level.

Reaction Score
Not to detract from anything that she's doing, but Grace Christian is in the smallest NCISAA classification, 1A, meaning there are fewer than 100 kids 9-12. There is very, very little competition for her at that level.
Your point about the competition is obviously correct. But in evaluating her, it would only concern me if with her size, skillset, and fundamentals, she wasn't consistently the best player on the floor. And it looks like she is. Like most of the top HS talents, she gets her competition in spring and summer AAU events. That's why the majority of D1 programs build their most extensive recruiting schedules around those. From what video I've seen, Strong has a hard to find combination of very good fundamentals inside and out, shooting and ballhandling ability, court vision, and especially size and strength. There are very few kids with that mix. The top programs like UConn are going to be all over her.

Reaction Score
Thanks for “C” insight, CocoHusky (& BobbyJ).

Re: Sarah Strong, to Argonaut’s point & concurring with BobbyJ’s deft observations, I am less inclined to discount her H.S. stats due to very strong, mature build & developed style of play. She is therefore more apt to sustain such gaudy productivity against better players, though likely at least slightly less prolific owing to step-up in competition caliber.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Can you please expand on this a little bit. I understand the size of the class but would like to know more specifically about the Christian designation. My daughter went to a private school with a class size of 100 students total but they were power house program because they had the ability to recruit and play a power house schedule both of which public schools (regardless) of size were not able to do.

Reaction Score
Having watched several Dunmore games via generously imbedded thread videos, “C” certainly looks to have an impressive profile & skillset.

I read that she grew up playing guard prior to her growth spurt so comfortable on perimeter, which is clear from her handle, consistent floor spacing, & smooth, rangy shot. Perhaps this guard mindset has thus far restricted her penchant/desire to bang in paint?
There's an awful lot to like about Toomey's potential, she could definitely become an impact college player. Any concerns I would have about her rebounding and interior defense would obviously only be temporary unless she wasn't doing anything to improve them. But of course I have no way of knowing that. What I've seen so far in her HS games against smaller kids is a tendency not to aggressively box out and attack rebounds even if it's not necessary. And defensively, some reaching over into the shooter's vertical space and swatting instead of going up straight and getting the block a foot or so after the ball leaving the shooter's hand. All correctible if she gets some good instruction for bigs. In fairness to her, I've had many male bigs (6-5 and over) tell me how difficult it is to play as the biggest guy on the floor with a bunch of smalls going around and under them. But it's a good way to learn to focus on solid fundamentals. I think she'll get there.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Can you please expand on this a little bit. I understand the size of the class but would like to know more specifically about the Christian designation. My daughter went to a private school with a class size of 100 students total but they were power house program because they had the ability to recruit and play a power house schedule both of which public schools (regardless) of size were not able to do.
In NC, any of the private schools that are part of the NCISAA can recruit (there are a few Catholic high schools who are part of the NCHSAA who theoretically don't recruit -- see Blanca Thomas at Charlotte Catholic), so the stronger programs tend to be those in the larger classifications. All of them? No, but Grace Christian doesn't play a powerhouse schedule, either. Most of their games are just the other, really small private schools (religious and not) and homeschool groups around the state and in their conference.

The fact that they're religious doesn't really play into anything, and there are plenty of non-religious schools in the NCISAA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom