February 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 26 | The Boneyard

February 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
:eek: Tell me about this transfer big. How big? Where is she coming from? is 12 Mintues per game worth transferring for ?
I did not follow the discourse. I only read your comment. I just knew 200 minutes could spread across 10 players. Bruno does it with ease. Based on UCONN's lack of success at transferring bigs, I wold not advocate it. I doubt if their is one avail now. Certainly not a talented one.

Reaction Score
Uhuhuhuh. No speculating on specifics. But trust me, if she's a proven big she'll get more than the 18 minutes he has slotted for Aaliyah.

Just spit it out, I know who you want but I don't see it happening though.

Last edited:

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
I did not follow the discourse. I only read your comment. I just knew 200 minutes could spread across 10 players. Bruno does it with ease.

Bruno doesn't have the elite talent UConn has stockpiled. He has a couple good players and some others that would struggle to find any minutes at UConn.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I applaud your creativity, but I don't think that's gonna work. Minutes are too low for several players who theoretically will be POY contenders, and also low imo for Bueckers and Griffin. Too high for Edwards, probably.
How many minute per game did Maya Moore and Tina Charles average during their undefeated NCAA championship years? 25? 26? Only a very few UCONN players are in their league and they did not play huge minutes. Wasn't Maya POY both seasons?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
OK, I’m going to step back into this bizarre discussion. Somewhere out there is a proven sophomore or junior BIg (I.e. a starter at a P5 school) that wants to transfer to UConn because she believes she’s going to play over Liv, Megan, Aaliyah, Piath, Amari....?

To anyone who’s advancing that argument, please give us all a specific example of the type of player you’re referring to?

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
How many minute per game did Maya Moore and Tina Charles average during their undefeated NCAA championship years? 25? 26? Only a very few UCONN players are in their league and they did not play huge minutes. Wasn't Maya POY both seasons?

But you only have one player even averaging that much. Geno won't put freshmen who don't play the way he wants on the court for big minutes for fear of establishing poor habits. I'd bet the vast majority of minutes go to the top-7.

Reaction Score
I don’t see Auriemma bothering with a transfer big that he would project for only 12 a game. IMO he needs a quality big, a difference maker not a backup. And those numbers might be fine I guess against weak and average teams but against quality teams I don’t see him going more than 8 deep.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Just spit it out, I know who you want but I don't see it happening though.
Since I have a touch of the flu I've been spitting out aplenty. That tidbit however I will not. If however you are thinking of a player, consider certain factors. Think of the situation they're in next year, their chances in their division, their chances for even making the Dance next year, how precarious is the position of their coach, and who were their anchors this year and are they returning. Also how much is the fire in their belly to win a championship, how far will they go to achieve that goal, and do they think they fit into UConn scheme.

Reaction Score
OK, I’m going to step back into this bizarre discussion. Somewhere out there is a proven sophomore or junior BIg (I.e. a starter at a P5 school) that wants to transfer to UConn because she believes she’s going to play over Liv, Megan, Aaliyah, Piath, Amari....?

To anyone who’s advancing that argument, please give us all a specific example of the type of player you’re referring to?
Someone at the talent level of the kid he was in the mix to take this year. Sedona Prince. He wasn’t worried about future PT problems with her or lack of experience. Like I say, if he thinks they’re a fit for the group and talented enough to make a difference and will help him win now, he’ll find room. And worry about future rosters down the road.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
2022 commit "Ice" Brady went for 27 and 24 (11 offensive boards) in the sectional semi-finals tonight. I was not there. Championship game is on Saturday evening. I'll be there watching that one, against Max Preps #2 ranked nationally team La Jolla Country Day, along with @EricLA and @Golden Husky I hope... and maybe another Boneyarder or two.

This has Brady with 23 points, but then as usual, who knows. Lots of Brady in the video at the link including some misses for those who like a fuller picture.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
This has Brady with 23 points, but then as usual, who knows. Lots of Brady in the video at the link including some misses for those who like a fuller picture.

Whenever I watch Brady video, I remind myself that she has two more years. I just want her to stay healthy and keep improving.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Someone at the talent level of the kid he was in the mix to take this year. Sedona Prince. He wasn’t worried about future PT problems with her or lack of experience. Like I say, if he thinks they’re a fit for the group and talented enough to make a difference and will help him win now, he’ll find room. And worry about future rosters down the road.
I would only point out that Prince visited UConn, and decided to attend Oregon, before UConn received commitments from Piath, Aaliyah, Amari & Ice. We can only wonder how a Prince commitment to UConn might have impacted the decisions of the 4 Bigs who subsequently decided on UConn.

Reaction Score
I would only point out that Prince visited UConn, and decided to attend Oregon, before UConn received commitments from Piath, Aaliyah, Amari & Ice. We can only wonder how a Prince commitment to UConn might have impacted the decisions of the 4 Bigs who subsequently decided on UConn.
I agree but I just think Auriemma is a bird in the hand guy. Especially now at his age.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I agree but I just think Auriemma is a bird in the hand guy. Especially now at his age.
Yes, of course, everything is fluid. Had Prince decided to transfer to UConn, with the potential of 4 years of eligibility, at a minimum I doubt Geno would have offered Piath.

We could even go one step further. Had Boston decided on UConn rather than SC, Geno would probably not have invited Prince for a visit.

So back to my original point. We’re pretty well stocked with Bigs for the next few years. I’d much rather see Geno develop these kids that have made a commitment to UConn from the start than bringing in someone that you have to break down bad habits, teach them how to play UConn basketball, and maybe get 1-2 years out of them.

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Bruno doesn't have the elite talent UConn has stockpiled. He has a couple good players and some others that would struggle to find any minutes at UConn.
There are many good players out there, some who have played well against UConn, who would struggle for minutes at UConn and not because they are not good enough. UConn's system is not for every player and in many cases, not necessary for them to be outstanding players.

Reaction Score
Since I have a touch of the flu I've been spitting out aplenty. That tidbit however I will not. If however you are thinking of a player, consider certain factors. Think of the situation they're in next year, their chances in their division, their chances for even making the Dance next year, how precarious is the position of their coach, and who were their anchors this year and are they returning. Also how much is the fire in their belly to win a championship, how far will they go to achieve that goal, and do they think they fit into UConn scheme.
At least give us a conference.

Reaction Score
2021 recruiting class will be joining a roster with 10 players. Two are already committed from the 2021 class and 5 have expressed consideration. How do the numbers work out? If Azzi commits will be all?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
2021 recruiting class will be joining a roster with 10 players. Two are already committed from the 2021 class and 5 have expressed consideration. How do the numbers work out? If Azzi commits will be all?
A couple of things. I don't really expect Westbrook to stay at UCONN 3 years. She'll have her degree by May 2021 (I assume), so I imagine she'll go into the draft then. So the roster would be 9. Fudd would make 3, so a roster of 12. Could Geno go for 13? I think he would if he got the right player.

Usually back to back big classes don't happen. Ideally it would be 3,4,3,4,3,4, etc. One time though UCONN had back to back 5 player classes. 1997 (Abrosimova, Schumaker, Glenney, Clark and Czel - not sure if Czel was a w/o though) and 1998 (TASSK). So IF Geno could pull a class of DeBerry, Poffenbarger, Fudd, and 1 or 2 of Ducharme? Iraifen? Miles? Von Oalhofen?. Damn straight, I think he'd take it.

Having essentially 3 classes of 2 right now (Walker/Westbrook, Williams/ONO and Griffin/Makurat) leaves a lot of room for the next couple of classes. 5/4/3 would be kinda nice.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Whenever I watch Brady video, I remind myself that she has two more years. I just want her to stay healthy and keep improving.
She will. When I spoke with her after her game, I was impressed with her fun and engaging personality, but when I asked her about goals for the future, she was all business and competitiveness. Her head coach will push her as much as she can. This kid is going to be special.

As a side note, those who worry about the early verbal and if she might change her mind, while nothing is guaranteed, I see zero evidence she would even consider this. Her grandmother said she's loved UCONN for years, it was her dream school, she idolizes Tina Charles, Breanna Stewart, and Morgan Tuck. She wears UCONN gear all the time apparently, and even has a UCONN husky decal on her crocs. Kid already bleeds blue!

Reaction Score
A couple of things. I don't really expect Westbrook to stay at UCONN 3 years. She'll have her degree by May 2021 (I assume), so I imagine she'll go into the draft then. So the roster would be 9. Fudd would make 3, so a roster of 12. Could Geno go for 13? I think he would if he got the right player.

Usually back to back big classes don't happen. Ideally it would be 3,4,3,4,3,4, etc. One time though UCONN had back to back 5 player classes. 1997 (Abrosimova, Schumaker, Glenney, Clark and Czel - not sure if Czel was a w/o though) and 1998 (TASSK). So IF Geno could pull a class of DeBerry, Poffenbarger, Fudd, and 1 or 2 of Ducharme? Iraifen? Miles? Von Oalhofen?. Damn straight, I think he'd take it.

Having essentially 3 classes of 2 right now (Walker/Westbrook, Williams/ONO and Griffin/Makurat) leaves a lot of room for the next couple of classes. 5/4/3 would be kinda nice.
Loaded rosters would be a welcome change to recent years, a lack of reliable bench has been the Achilles heel the past few years, costly in last seasons 4th quarter semi. Would Geno pull back on offers to save one for Azzi or will it be whoever commits first fills out scholarships (13 or 15)?

Reaction Score

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Would Geno pull back on offers to save one for Azzi or will it be whoever commits first fills out scholarships (13 or 15)?
Pretty sure that Azzi will have a place available at whatever school she commits to whenever she decides to commit. Specific to Uconn, I doubt Geno will have taken the roster to 15 by the time Azzi chooses and he would happily take it there if she chose Uconn and the roster was at 14.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom