February 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 27 | The Boneyard

February 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread

Reaction Score
Pretty sure that Azzi will have a place available at whatever school she commits to whenever she decides to commit. Specific to Uconn, I doubt Geno will have taken the roster to 15 by the time Azzi chooses and he would happily take it there if she chose Uconn and the roster was at 14.
Is it 13 or 15 scholarships allowed?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
How many minute per game did Maya Moore and Tina Charles average during their undefeated NCAA championship years? 25? 26? Only a very few UCONN players are in their league and they did not play huge minutes. Wasn't Maya POY both seasons?
No.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Maya was POY for at least one selection organization for 2009 and 2010.

Tina had hand in the 2010 awards

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Tina had hand in the 2010 awards
I know she did. But there are multiple organization who select a POY. It is only an opinion so they can do so. In 2010 Tina won most of them. The original point was to counter the opposing comment about top flight players, presumably Meg, CW, and Liv, would not be playing so few minutes. My comment was both Tina and Maya played about 25 perv game during the 2009 and 2010 seasons. No matter how you feel about Meg, Liv, and CW, they are not in Maya and Tina's league as of now and they played relatively low minutes and as a result were not as beat up and tired at NCAA tourney time. Someone was suggesting transferring a big. I have no idea who is available but I doubt if anyone really good is available. Plus UCONN's track record with transfers is not stellar. Hopefully Evina will be the successful outlier. Mathematically there are plenty of minutes for 10 players (See Bruno and Berube).

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
How many minute per game did Maya Moore and Tina Charles average during their undefeated NCAA championship years? 25? 26? Only a very few UCONN players are in their league and they did not play huge minutes. Wasn't Maya POY both seasons?
Moore averaged 31 minutes in 2009 and 28.2 in 2010
Charles 25.2 in 2009 and 27.6 in 2010

Until late January in 2009 Charles was often in Geno's doghouse which probably accounted for the lower minutes. Kaili McLaren (still playing pro ball with Canberra in 2019) was in Tina's class and provided solid back-up for Tina as well (15+min in 2009 and 12+ in 2010.)

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Geno's a little over an hours drive from Hardin-Jefferson high school. Perhaps he'll take in Ashlon Jackson's playoff game tonight.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Pretty sure that Azzi will have a place available at whatever school she commits to whenever she decides to commit. Specific to Uconn, I doubt Geno will have taken the roster to 15 by the time Azzi chooses and he would happily take it there if she chose Uconn and the roster was at 14.
The roster will not be at 15 before Azzi decides (and probably not past 12 even after she decides). I would like 1-2 more, in addition to Azzi, from 2021. Rivers might be my first choice, but there are other solid options. Iriafen and Moore look really good too.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Rori Harmon with the turnaround jumper. Baylor also on hand to watch her.

I don't follow the recruiting threads closely, so I came here to find out who Shea was here to watch. Not at all surprising it's Harmon, who has one of the best handles you'll see on a high school player. She completely controlled the tempo of this game, and her decision-making was for the most part excellent. On a court with (what looked like) multiple D-I prospects, she was the clear standout.

She just led her Cy Creek team (undefeated and ranked #3 in the state behind Duncanville and DeSoto) to a 30-point shellacking of the #5 team Summer Creek.

Attachment 1(9).jpg

Chantel Osahor (Arkansas) was also in attendance.

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
Haha - not exactly an out-of-the-way charter flight for Shea (or Kim, for that matter).

Will Rori be watching the epic beat-down of Houston tomorrow?
She certainly won't be catching the start of it. Her team plays in the regional final tomorrow at 1pm in Katy. The UConn game starts at 2, and it's at least a half hour drive away. Probably more like 40 minutes.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Haha - not exactly an out-of-the-way charter flight for Shea (or Kim, for that matter).

Will Rori be watching the epic beat-down of Houston tomorrow?
... and she probably will have had her fill of epic beat-downs at that point, because the team they just beat is much, much better than the team they play tomorrow (Clear Springs). I'm still shaking my head at how Rori and Co. just made a very good team look like chopped liver.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
2/28

Ashlon Jackson: 17 points

Rori Harmon: 13 points

Jillian Hollingshead: 20 points

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Nice piece in the Courant on Mir Mclean:

McLean’s next step was to develop more of a face-up game, create her own shot, work on ball-handling and get more comfortable shooting on the perimeter. Steinbach saw growth in those areas and only expects her to continue improving under the tutelage of Auriemma and his staff. But what she was most impressed by were the intangibles that McLean brought to the court in a season where, with so many new faces, the team leaned on her for leadership and bringing people together off the court.

“She’s grown up very quickly in the last two seasons,” Steinbach said, “and it’ll be exciting to watch how that will translate to the college level.”

McLean only continued to impress on the floor, finishing the season averaging 21.3 points and 12.2 rebounds and notching 16 double-doubles in 23 games.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I know she did. But there are multiple organization who select a POY. It is only an opinion so they can do so. In 2010 Tina won most of them. The original point was to counter the opposing comment about top flight players, presumably Meg, CW, and Liv, would not be playing so few minutes. My comment was both Tina and Maya played about 25 perv game during the 2009 and 2010 seasons. No matter how you feel about Meg, Liv, and CW, they are not in Maya and Tina's league as of now and they played relatively low minutes and as a result were not as beat up and tired at NCAA tourney time. Someone was suggesting transferring a big. I have no idea who is available but I doubt if anyone really good is available. Plus UCONN's track record with transfers is not stellar. Hopefully Evina will be the successful outlier. Mathematically there are plenty of minutes for 10 players (See Bruno and Berube).
Semi serious maybe rhetorical question for you. Do you see anyone on the current or projected UCONN roster the caliber of Maya or Tina? Not sure why you keep bring up thier names.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
2/28

Azzi Fudd scored 25 points on Friday in a St. John's win. Sets up a meeting with Kiki Rice Sunday afternoon.
I don't understand the D.C. playoffs, even though I live there. When SJC lost to McNamara, I thought their season was over. What's the over/under on combined Azzi/Kiki scoring? I'd say 60.

Reaction Score
Semi serious maybe rhetorical question for you. Do you see anyone on the current or projected UCONN roster the caliber of Maya or Tina? Not sure why you keep bring up thier names.

The 08-09 and 09-10 teams also blew out nearly everyone. You're not going to keep Maya and Tina in and play much in 2nd half when you are up by 30+ in 1st half. They are bad examples to use.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I don't follow the recruiting threads closely, so I came here to find out who Shea was here to watch. Not at all surprising it's Harmon, who has one of the best handles you'll see on a high school player. She completely controlled the tempo of this game, and her decision-making was for the most part excellent. On a court with (what looked like) multiple D-I prospects, she was the clear standout.

She just led her Cy Creek team (undefeated and ranked #3 in the state behind Duncanville and DeSoto) to a 30-point shellacking of the #5 team Summer Creek.

View attachment 51339

Chantel Osahor (Arkansas) was also in attendance.
This pic refutes the idea that Shea can't travel to recruit because of her child.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom