February 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread | Page 24 | The Boneyard

February 2020 UConn Recruiting Thread

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
With the 5 freshman and Evina, they will still have only 11 players next year. I say sure there is room for a good big transfer.

And only minutes for maybe 9 of them.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
While I typically hate hypotheticals, what does the Board think Geno would do if he had the opportunity to pick up a solid, proven 6'4"+ center as a transfer? Do we have a scholarship for another player this year?
Well as someone noted we'll have 11 players next year. So that leaves 4 scholarships available. He's carried 15 a couple times, but not for quite awhile.

I suppose he might, depending on whether he thought they could help (either on the court or off) the team. I'm sure he prefers 4 year players to 3 year to, etc. But obviously he'll take a 2 year player (Westbrook) or/and a 1 year player (Adebayo).

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Accepting a junior as a transfer would mean by the time Deberry comes the transfer is a senior. By the time Ice comes, she won't be there. Saylor is not a big, but a wing, and it would affect her whether she comes or not.
How would it impact Aaliyah Edwards & Piath Gabriel?

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
How would it impact Aaliyah Edwards & Piath Gabriel?
Meg leaves after next year and Piath is a project. So I think not much.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Auriemma didn’t hesitate to take Stevens when he had a veteran, talented team that was fighting for PT. IMO, his concern is winning games and NCs. This team is still small and thin inside next year and if he thinks he needs a veteran big to give ONO some help and give them a shot at a NC, I don’t think he’d hesitate now either. JMO, but I don’t think he worries about sending PT messages.
That’s not quite correct. Geno took Z & Touly in 2016 with the knowledge that neither would be available until the 2017-18 season after the Big 3 had graduated, and after high-profile recruiting misses on both Wilson & Cox. At the time Z & Touly transferred to UConn, the Huskies only true Big for 2017 was going to be Natalie Butler, and she ultimately decided to transfer to George Mason as a Grad transfer.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I don’t see it happening, but time will tell.
So true. But with 11 on the roster next year and 6 guards don't discount it.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So true. But with 11 on the roster next year and 6 guards don't discount it.
I think you’re interpreting the term “guard” pretty broadly. Christyn, Paige & Nika are pure guards in my opinion. Evina, Anna, Aubrey & Mir are interchangeable pieces that can play just about anywhere on the floor.

Reaction Score
That’s not quite correct. Geno took Z & Touly in 2016 with the knowledge that neither would be available until the 2017-18 season after the Big 3 had graduated, and after high-profile recruiting misses on both Wilson & Cox. At the time Z & Touly transferred to UConn, the Huskies only true Big for 2017 was going to be Natalie Butler, and she ultimately decided to transfer to George Mason as a Grad transfer.
And a grad transfer will help since ONO is their only true big next year. My point is that Auriemma will do whatever he has to to win games and NCs and he doesn't worry about PT messages.

Reaction Score
I think you’re interpreting the term “guard” pretty broadly. Christyn, Paige & Nika are pure guards in my opinion. Evina, Anna, Aubrey & Mir are interchangeable pieces that can play just about anywhere on the floor.
I doubt that McLean will ever be a guard at UConn.

Reaction Score
And only minutes for maybe 9 of them.
That is all up to the player to earn minutes and who knows what injuries may happen.... There are always minutes for deserving players. I would love to get back to the days when the stars of the team average under 25 minutes so we can be bad for basketball again.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
That is all up to the player to earn minutes and who knows what injuries may happen.... There are always minutes for deserving players. I would love to get back to the days when the stars of the team average under 25 minutes so we can be bad for basketball again.

Gonna be hard with the talent UConn will have stockpiled. Maybe we'll have that discussion this summer.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Here's the thing. I'm not worried about everyone getting playing time. Here's why:

First, there are very few seasons where there isn't at least one player at UCONN who is out with an injury or illness. Of course I'm not rooting for that, but Touly was on the roster and was almost never healthy, Evina has had several surgeries, and that's just the recent past. Aubrey missed the 2016 season with a torn ACL. Lou missed a bunch of games a few years back. Tuck was often hobbled with knee issues. Etc etc...

Second, we know Gabriel is a big project. Mir - not sure how much of a project she will be. But it will certainly give the staff plenty of time to bring them along slowly.

Third, and this is perhaps a bit heartless, but here it is. The best players will play. Those who aren't up to snuff (skill or effort-wise) won't. If the kids not playing don't like it, up their effort, change their attitude, and/or work hard to get better. If they still don't like it, they may well transfer.
  • Almost without exception, the list of players we lost to transfer who left for more PT (or other issues after spending a year or so at UCONN), were never going to be starters, and were going to be reserves at best.
  • Johnson, Engeln, Banks, Walker, Coombs, Espinosa, Gordon, Boykin, Ekmark, Edwards - name one who even would have been a key reserve for UCONN. MAYBE Samarie Walker. Maybe...
I'm NOT rooting for kids to leave. But every kid who is coming KNOWS that UCONN is loaded. They know there will be limited minutes and it will be super competitive. I get the reality is often different when they get here and fully experience the situation, but Geno and the staff will do everything they can to help these kids be successful. IF they fall short or are unhappy and leave, we will wish them well - and go on and win multiple NC's. This is not T-league where everyone plays and gets a trophy.

So... while I can't guarantee it, recent history has shown we've NEVER had a top kid transfer out for PT issues.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It gives Edwards time to assimilate and pick up confidence plus I doubt Gabriel will be a factor for at least a year.
Assimilation means riding the bench. Edwards has the talent to go along with her international experience to start next year at the PF, allowing Megan to move to her more natural position as a wing. That may not happen on Day 1, and it certainly won’t happen if Geno brings in a hired gun for a year or two playing ahead of her.

Reaction Score
It’s great that you guys can show up and support a future Husky. I did the same thing last season with Aubrey. But if you really want to do it right, may I suggest that you, EricLA & Golden Husky show up to the game in bodypaint with a large “I”, “C” & “E” respectively..... :)

I thought we were trying to convince her to keep her commitment to UConn?:rolleyes:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
And a grad transfer will help since ONO is their only true big next year. My point is that Auriemma will do whatever he has to to win games and NCs and he doesn't worry about PT messages.
Which transfer exactly? And who’s minutes do you take?

Let’s do some speculating. The NCAA changes the rules allowing immediate eligibility for a 1st time transfers. Charlie Collier decides she doesn’t need to stay close to home for perennial underachieving TX. She enters the portal and calls Geno telling him she made a mistake and really wants to be a Husky. Against his better judgment, Geno gives her a scholarship.

Collier is a Big, but she spends a lot of time in Austin hanging around the arc, while letting Holmes do much of the dirty work in the paint, so Geno has to work really hard to get her to play near the basket.

Assuming Collier manages to satisfy Geno and earn the starting spot, that means both Aaliyah and Piath don’t see significant PT until their junior year. Collier in the starting lineup moves Megan to the Wing, which in turn dramatically cuts PT for that large group of players that will battle it out for PT at the 2 & 3 spots.

At the end of the year, there are wholesale transfers from UConn. In addition several verbal commits decommit, and Azzi decides to take her skills to a school where she knows she’ll play right away.

The top 3 teams in WBB next year will be SC, Stanford & UConn. Geno has everything he needs with the 11 players he will have to win a championship next season. All he has to do is coach them up, something he does better than any coach in the history of WBB. IMO Geno doesn’t need or want a graduate transfer.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I doubt that McLean will ever be a guard at UConn.
I didn’t say she was. I said she was interchangeable with 3 other similarly skilled players.

Reaction Score
Assimilation means riding the bench. Edwards has the talent to go along with her international experience to start next year at the PF, allowing Megan to move to her more natural position as a wing. That may not happen on Day 1, and it certainly won’t happen if Geno brings in a hired gun for a year or two playing ahead of her.
I don't assume that a transfer would play ahead of her. And no, assimilation doesn't mean riding the bench, it means getting used to the pace of the college game which is way ahead of HS. If she's as talented as you're assuming, Edwards will get plenty of PT. If she's not, that transfer will be very important. Auriemma's not going to wait around for her to develop. If she's great she'll play but if she takes a year to get where he wants her like Stewart did, he'll be glad he's got the depth up front to make a NC run. I'd have no problem with a 3 way rotation of big talent that can play with Baylor, Oregon, etc. I'm sure Edwards already knows nothing is promised about PT. If she's as confident and talented as it seems, she should welcome the competition that will push her to her potential. With what he has for bigs on the horizon I'd lean towards a GT but who knows what he thinks.

Reaction Score
Keep in mind that Amari, Saylor & Ice are not committed until they sign their NLI’s during their senior season. The last thing UConn wants is for their future recruits to have second thoughts because Geno is bringing in transfers to play ahead of them.
If that big is someone like Boston from South Carolina, I’d take her on an instant. Freshman sophomore transfer yes, Junior Senior, no.

Reaction Score
Which transfer exactly? And who’s minutes do you take?

Let’s do some speculating. The NCAA changes the rules allowing immediate eligibility for a 1st time transfers. Charlie Collier decides she doesn’t need to stay close to home for perennial underachieving TX. She enters the portal and calls Geno telling him she made a mistake and really wants to be a Husky. Against his better judgment, Geno gives her a scholarship.

Collier is a Big, but she spends a lot of time in Austin hanging around the arc, while letting Holmes do much of the dirty work in the paint, so Geno has to work really hard to get her to play near the basket.

Assuming Collier manages to satisfy Geno and earn the starting spot, that means both Aaliyah and Piath don’t see significant PT until their junior year. Collier in the starting lineup moves Megan to the Wing, which in turn dramatically cuts PT for that large group of players that will battle it out for PT at the 2 & 3 spots.

At the end of the year, there are wholesale transfers from UConn. In addition several verbal commits decommit, and Azzi decides to take her skills to a school where she knows she’ll play right away.

The top 3 teams in WBB next year will be SC, Stanford & UConn. Geno has everything he needs with the 11 players he will have to win a championship next season. All he has to do is coach them up, something he does better than any coach in the history of WBB. IMO Geno doesn’t need or want a graduate transfer.
If what you describe is against his better judgment, I doubt that he'd take her. I'm sure he'll know what the ramifications will be and that will form his decision.

Reaction Score
I didn’t say she was. I said she was interchangeable with 3 other similarly skilled players.
You said she was in a group of 4 that "could play about anywhere on the floor" which would include guard. I'm just saying that guard won't be one of them

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom