Dupree and DT Join - BG still being evaluated [merged thread] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dupree and DT Join - BG still being evaluated [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I wouldn't take Stef or Lavender. I would sacrifice the size to go with players that are more flexible and can provide additional scoring. I would take Nneka, Dupree, Stewart and then take either Skylar or Odyssey (my 1st choice). If Cambage or any other player 6'5" or taller were to have a huge game, Team USA should have enough weapons and defensive abilities to shut down the other players on that team. Phoenix did okay in the 3rd game of the playoffs when they had to match up against Fowles without Griner. Hopefully Griner will be able to play.
The fear of course is that Tina picks up a few fouls early in a game and/or suffers some sort of injury - you have only the 12 players with no replacements. In that case you are asking a college player or a group of 6-2/6-3 forwards to bump and grind against folks they are giving up 20+ pounds of muscle and 3 or more inches to.
Look at how Nneka/Chiney struggled against Dolson in college as an example of the problem. Not a situation that I think the committee wants to put the team or the coach in. The USA committee has always been (perhaps over) concerned with height and strength down low.
As for Phoenix prevailing without BG - Fowles was running wild inside early, but there is a reason she withdrew from the USA team for medical reasons - she was clearly not full strength in that game. And the Phoenix center responsible for controlling Fowles - an international center (who we will not see since Poland is not in the WC.)

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Here is who I would choose, assuming BG is not available.
  • Bird (PG)
  • Whalen (PG)
  • Sims (PG/2)
  • DT (PG/2/3)
  • Angel (2/3)
  • Augustus (3)
  • Maya (3/4)
  • Dupree (4)
  • Nneka (4)
  • Stewart (4/5)
  • Charles (5)
  • Dolson (5)

CASE CLOSED

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Darn, EDD can't ever catch a break. :(

Really wanted her to play on Team USA, but she'll be a lock for 16' I think.

It has been a rough year for her. I bet she is ready to have some time to focus on her health. I have no doubt that she will be on the Olympic team if healthy in 2016.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I wouldn't take Stef or Lavender. I would sacrifice the size to go with players that are more flexible and can provide additional scoring. I would take Nneka, Dupree, Stewart and then take either Skylar or Odyssey (my 1st choice). If Cambage or any other player 6'5" or taller were to have a huge game, Team USA should have enough weapons and defensive abilities to shut down the other players on that team. Phoenix did okay in the 3rd game of the playoffs when they had to match up against Fowles without Griner. Hopefully Griner will be able to play.

But Phoenix was tied with Chicago, with 14 seconds left in the game before DT hit that shot and got fouled by Sloot. Not having a good defender in the lane changes everything, and Cambage is probably going to shut down the US in the paint if we don't have some size to throw at her and occupy her on defense.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
  • Bird (PG)
  • Whalen (PG)
  • Sims (PG/2)
  • DT (PG/2/3)
  • Angel (2/3)
  • Augustus (3)
  • Maya (3/4)
  • Dupree (4)
  • Nneka (4)
  • Stewart (4/5)
  • Charles (5)
  • Dolson (5)

CASE CLOSED
I like it, but given her Euro league success, even as a Uconn homer, I think Lavender may replace Dolson. I wasn't impressed by either in the limited window we saw of them in the two televised games, but Lavender does have that international experience similar to Jones when the last place was being filled for the Olympic team.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
But Phoenix was tied with Chicago, with 14 seconds left in the game before DT hit that shot and got fouled by Sloot. Not having a good defender in the lane changes everything, and Cambage is probably going to shut down the US in the paint if we don't have some size to throw at her and occupy her on defense.
They also had Kobryn at 6'4 and 210 to throw against Fowles and did not put Dupree at 6'2, 175 on her. Nneka is 6'2, 174, and while Stewart is 6'4 she is even lighter and definitely not strong enough to go long minutes against any of the centers head to head.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
They also had Kobryn at 6'4 and 210 to throw against Fowles and did not put Dupree at 6'2, 175 on her. Nneka is 6'2, 174, and while Stewart is 6'4 she is even lighter and definitely not strong enough to go long minutes against any of the centers head to head.

Exactly, that is why I would go with Dolson, who has similar strength as Kobryn. Lavender seems to be more finesse than a player who wants to bang on the inside.

Reaction Score
IMO there are 10 locks with two of the up in the air depnding on how much the selection commtte fears size:
Locks
Guards Bird, Whelan, DT and Seimone
Forwards Maya (may even start at pf) Angel Nneka, Stewie, Dupree
Centers Tina

If selection committe thinks they can get away with Dupree, Nneka and Stewie at center at times then you take both Sims and Diggins. If there is a concern I'd take Lavendar and take Diggins.

Sorry Steph I just don't see it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If BG doesn't go, I'd say Dolson and Stewart as an experienced tandem are better that Dupree and Lavender. After which I'd be very tempted to take Dupree over Lavender and one of the young guards...added to UCMiami's 8 which I like...

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Huge difference in Nneka's game since turning pro compared to her days at Stanford. Also Stef's supporting cast was better then Stanford's. Meanwhile in the Exhibition games, Stef was eaten alive on defens and had limited contribution on offense. Not so with Nneka.

The fear of course is that Tina picks up a few fouls early in a game and/or suffers some sort of injury - you have only the 12 players with no replacements. In that case you are asking a college player or a group of 6-2/6-3 forwards to bump and grind against folks they are giving up 20+ pounds of muscle and 3 or more inches to.
Look at how Nneka/Chiney struggled against Dolson in college as an example of the problem. Not a situation that I think the committee wants to put the team or the coach in. The USA committee has always been (perhaps over) concerned with height and strength down low.
As for Phoenix prevailing without BG - Fowles was running wild inside early, but there is a reason she withdrew from the USA team for medical reasons - she was clearly not full strength in that game. And the Phoenix center responsible for controlling Fowles - an international center (who we will not see since Poland is not in the WC.)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Huge difference in Nneka's game since turning pro compared to her days at Stanford. Also Stef's supporting cast was better then Stanford's. Meanwhile in the Exhibition games, Stef was eaten alive on defens and had limited contribution on offense. Not so with Nneka.
Agree - but Nneka was still not trying to guard or being guarded by either Stef or Lavender. I thought Stef looked very slow on defense in both games and Lavender looked a little faster but not much between them. Nneka is great, not saying she isn't, but she is great at forward, not at center. Same for Stewart and Dupree. Put them against de Souza, Cambage, and the other big strong and pretty quick international centers and they will be in trouble defensively. Offensively Nneka and Dupree are mid-range and in players and would not pose too much trouble for most international centers to guard as they are used to that style of center. Stewart with her 3 point range might be more problematic, but would also struggle even more physically on defense - she would end up being pushed down below the basket/over the baseline by players like de Souza.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I would always take Stef over Lavender. For me it is not even close.

Reaction Score
For me Lavendar over Dolson. Lavendar has the experience as stated by another psoter overseas and was pretty productive with LA. Steph's defense is not good at all.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Can't say I'm surprised by either one not being good to go, especially EDD and her back/Lyme situation. :(

Look further down my boyo - Jim refuted his post and confirmed the Yet to be determined story re BG....FYI

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Cambage put up about 20 points in a half against the U.S. in London, mostly on Parker and Fowles. In the second half, Tina and Asjha held her to about 2 points, as we came back from a halftime deficit to win.

Tina is great, but we need insurance against injuries or foul trouble. I think I'd take Stef for her size and versatility. Tina may be the key player in the tourney. I'm confident in her.

The missing group would make a good team:

Parker
Catchings
DelleDonne
Fowles
Maybe Griner

Reaction Score
Agree - but Nneka was still not trying to guard or being guarded by either Stef or Lavender. I thought Stef looked very slow on defense in both games and Lavender looked a little faster but not much between them. Nneka is great, not saying she isn't, but she is great at forward, not at center. Same for Stewart and Dupree. Put them against de Souza, Cambage, and the other big strong and pretty quick international centers and they will be in trouble defensively. Offensively Nneka and Dupree are mid-range and in players and would not pose too much trouble for most international centers to guard as they are used to that style of center. Stewart with her 3 point range might be more problematic, but would also struggle even more physically on defense - she would end up being pushed down below the basket/over the baseline by players like de Souza.

Offensively Nneka and Dupree would be fine. Dupree would be terrfic. The reason imo they'd be a problem for other team is because of players that can slash like Whelen, DT, Seimone, and Angel also with ball movement you'd get Maya etc an even bigger threat. Ball movement would lead to easy jump shots for someone like Dupree who is near automatic. Ball movement in which the defnese would have to help would lead to easy pickins for Dupree.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I would always take Stef over Lavender. For me it is not even close.

Same here, even after learning of Lavender's overseas success...Stef is a fan favorite, and I am of course a fan.

But I also wonder if someone who wasn't as successful in college play against a player such as Stef then goes overseas and while there, a light bulb goes off and she learns and improves her play. I am just wondering....

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Where's Cat? She has great perspective on these things, and I'd like to hear what she has to say....

sTu

Reaction Score
  • Bird (PG)
  • Whalen (PG)
  • Sims (PG/2)
  • DT (PG/2/3)
  • Angel (2/3)
  • Augustus (3)
  • Maya (3/4)
  • Dupree (4)
  • Nneka (4)
  • Stewart (4/5)
  • Charles (5)
  • Dolson (5)

CASE CLOSED

Grrrr, I actually agree with you. :)

Reaction Score
If BG is not available, I would go with Dolson. We need someone with some bulk who can lean on Cambage and I just don't see Lavender having that ability. The team will have plenty of scoring threats and Dolson, IMO, offers the best overall size to push on Cambage.
I agree.

If Griner can't go, Dolson would be my choice, for both the size reason and Dolson's ability to hit the 15'-18' footer. She can draw opposing bigs out of the lane on offense. It would not be a smart move for team U.S.A. to take only one legitimate post presence.

Reaction Score

Not a chance in hell Cambage is going to lock down the paint defenisvely vs. USA. More than likely if she attemtps to, she'll have three fouls in the 1s t10 minutes. Players like Whelan way too crafty - they throw their bodies into "Cambage" type players.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Not a chance in hell Cambage is going to lock down the paint defenisvely vs. USA. More than likely if she attemtps to, she'll have three fouls in the 1s t10 minutes. Players like Whelan way too crafty - they throw their bodies into "Cambage" type players.

She was able to in the first half of the semifinal game at the 2012 Olympics, where she scored 19 points and held the American post players (mainly Fowles and Parker) in check. But she had Lauren Jackson next to her at the four, and Jackson will be missing this year's World Championships.

Curious to see if Australia just plays Suzy Batkovic with Cambage in the middle, giving the team tremendous size (6-5 and 6-8), but not a lot of shooting range.

Reaction Score
I agree.

If Griner can't go, Dolson would be my choice, for both the size reason and Dolson's ability to hit the 15'-18' footer. She can draw opposing bigs out of the lane on offense. It would not be a smart move for team U.S.A. to take only one legitimate post presence.

Lavendar can hit the 15-18 footer the little I saw of her. Which is part of the reason why I don't see Steph beating her out. I could be wrong but the little I saw from LA she showed she could hit outside shots a bit. And if she was as good as she was in Europe, I suspect she was also hitting them there. I could be wrong - maybe some people that watched her in LA could advise.

Last edited:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Cambage is a much improved player and I think nobody from the US team has faced her in the past 2 years. She is almost as unique as Griner due to her size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89

Top Bottom