Dupree and DT Join - BG still being evaluated [merged thread] | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Dupree and DT Join - BG still being evaluated [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Cambage is a much improved player and I think nobody from the US team has faced her in the past 2 years. She is almost as unique as Griner due to her size.
I believe Maya's Chinese team beat Cambage's team in the finals of of the Chinese league this spring - don't know the size of the supporting cast of either player.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
For me Lavendar over Dolson. Lavendar has the experience as stated by another psoter overseas and was pretty productive with LA. Steph's defense is not good at all.
You are kidding right. I love sarcasm.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Cambage is not going to beat the USA by herself and I don't believe Australia will be that strong this year given Jackson's absence. People are touting Spain and France as the best of the rest.

Reaction Score
Cambage is a much improved player and I think nobody from the US team has faced her in the past 2 years. She is almost as unique as Griner due to her size.
I also think Cambage's team beat Griner's team in the semi's of the Chinese league - again don't know size and skill of supporting casts.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Maya would have in China. No doubt she will give Geno her input.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Maya would have in China. No doubt she will give Geno her input.

It will be an entirely new experience for our centers to go against the Cambage of today. Maya will most likely not be guarding her.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Agree - not sure how strong Australia really is this year. BG and Maya I think have faced Cambage in China last year. And international centers are used to playing both down low and outside - much more normal than US college training - many with range to the 3 point line. And so they are also used to having to defend in space. Stef's defense in both the scrimmage and the friendly was very suspect and Lavenders was not much better, but she looked to have better foot speed. To be honest, I thought Tina didn't look good at all on defending pick and roles either as she was often caught out of position, and no one was impressing me with help side defense.
I am still hopeful for BG, but think USA should be able to overcome her absence with whoever they chose, but the margin for error is much smaller.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I also think Cambage's team beat Griner's team in the semi's of the Chinese league - again don't know size and skill of supporting casts.

Maya's team beat BG's team in the semis. Cambage was not available for any of the games against Griner.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Agree - not sure how strong Australia really is this year. BG and Maya I think have faced Cambage in China last year. And international centers are used to playing both down low and outside - much more normal than US college training - many with range to the 3 point line. And so they are also used to having to defend in space. Stef's defense in both the scrimmage and the friendly was very suspect and Lavenders was not much better, but she looked to have better foot speed. To be honest, I thought Tina didn't look good at all on defending pick and roles either as she was often caught out of position, and no one was impressing me with help side defense.
I am still hopeful for BG, but think USA should be able to overcome her absence with whoever they chose, but the margin for error is much smaller.

I am pretty certain that BG and Cambage never faced off in China last season as Cambage was unavailable for those games, but I could be mistaken.

Reaction Score
You are kidding right. I love sarcasm.

You're kidding right? You didn't see the Canada game did you? And you seriously expect her defense to have an impact on the more experienced pros? I'm all for homerism but . .

IMO if Steph gets in it's because of the package of her size and ability to pass the ball and because of a UCONN connection of famiiarity (which the connection is NOT a bad thing.). Not because of her "stellar" defense. Of which I don't think that supercedes Lavender at all. Of course Im notthere in pratcces nor as stated above not certain Lavender can shoot well but it seems like she can.

Reaction Score
You're kidding right? You didn't see the Canada game did you? And you seriously expect her defense to have an impact on the more experienced pros? I'm all for homerism but . .

IMO if Steph gets in it's because of the package of her size and ability to pass the ball and because of a UCONN connection of famiiarity (which the connection is NOT a bad thing.). Not because of her "stellar" defense. Of which I don't think that supercedes Lavender at all. Of course Im notthere in pratcces nor as stated above not certain Lavender can shoot well but it seems like she can.

Wow, didn't Stef win some sort of award this past year for her defense ? She's not Griner (who is ?) but not like you painted her. Not a homer's opinion either

Reaction Score
Come on- college and pros are completely different. Diggins has a terrible year in pros her 1st year overall. Why? The game is different.

And was she really "the number 1 defensive player" in wcbb? Because the vote says so? She's really better than expereinced pros such as Lavendar that competed agaisnt and did well vs other pros overseas?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Nope, I watched Lavender for 4 years in the Big 10 and was sadly disappointed by her performance every time. BTW, it isn't Steph. You clearly were watching the wrong player if she was called Steph.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
All I know is is give my right arm to see Sue, Maya, DT, Stewie, and Tina, on the court at the same time. That's the all-time UConn starting five once Breanna is done!

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
alexrgct said:
All I know is is give my right arm to see Sue, Maya, DT, Stewie, and Tina, on the court at the same time. That's the all-time UConn starting five once Breanna is done!

Good point - that would be amazing to see ! Never can be sure if Sue has a couple more USABB go 'rounds in her or if this is her last one. Could be the one and only time for this Fearsome Fivesome! (Hopefully not)

Reaction Score
Lavendar can hit the 15-18 footer the little I saw of her. Which is part of the reason why I don't see Steph beating her out. I could be wrong but the little I saw from LA she showed she could hit outside shots a bit. And if she was as good as she was in Europe, I suspect she was also hitting them there. I could be wrong - maybe some people that watched her in LA could advise.
Oh yeah?!?!?!?!?

Well Dolson can hit the 16-19 footer.:p

Reaction Score
Nope, I watched Lavender for 4 years in the Big 10 and was sadly disappointed by her performance every time. BTW, it isn't Steph. You clearly were watching the wrong player if she was called Steph.

You are talking about COLLEGE. COLLEGE. Her game has expanded- she can face the basket. Again as stated I didn't see a lot of LA (maybe someone elee has and can advise a different opinion) but she is different than the super-slow inside only player from Ohio State.

So you didn't watch the canada game?. And if you read the threads you read some quotes how the defenders blew by her, right? And if you watched the game you would have heard Carolyn Peck critiicze the lack of interior defense. While a knock on Tina too and on BS and a knock on Lavendar - she didn't get the minutes. But Dolson got some and was struggling. And in the few games I saw her at Washington - she wasn't a WNBA all-defender like we saw dominate the college game.

I just don't see what you see. You'll say "I know." But the player I saw at UCONN is like the frosh SD I saw at UCONN. Not a USA Olympian caliber player at this point in her rookie year.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Exactly, Stef was no worse than Lavender and she offers more skills.

Reaction Score
Exactly, Stef was no worse than Lavender and she offers more skills.

We can agree to disagree on the importance of your definition of "skills" and if you have a certain definition/importance placed on athleticism and the importance of experience when it comes to both. IMO Lavender is the better player right now and can fit in well enough. I'd take her first.

Reaction Score
You are talking about COLLEGE. COLLEGE. Her game has expanded- she can face the basket. Again as stated I didn't see a lot of LA (maybe someone elee has and can advise a different opinion) but she is different than the super-slow inside only player from Ohio State.

So you didn't watch the canada game?. And if you read the threads you read some quotes how the defenders blew by her, right? And if you watched the game you would have heard Carolyn Peck critiicze the lack of interior defense. While a knock on Tina too and on BS and a knock on Lavendar - she didn't get the minutes. But Dolson got some and was struggling. And in the few games I saw her at Washington - she wasn't a WNBA all-defender like we saw dominate the college game.

I just don't see what you see. You'll say "I know." But the player I saw at UCONN is like the frosh SD I saw at UCONN. Not a USA Olympian caliber player at this point in her rookie year.

I was at the game and only once was it Stef's fault when the very tall very slender person she was guarding took her off the dribble. the other times she tried to help aqnd her man got free with no weak side help.

Reaction Score
Either way, I think it would be a mistake to not take 2 legitimate post players and instead try to spread it out amongst the "4s".

Reaction Score
I was at the game and only once was it Stef's fault when the very tall very slender person she was guarding took her off the dribble. the other times she tried to help aqnd her man got free with no weak side help.
Hey Phil, you wouldn't have happened to play baseball with a Mike Sciortino would ya have???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom