Dupree and DT Join - BG still being evaluated [merged thread] | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Dupree and DT Join - BG still being evaluated [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Interesting stuff coming into this thread.
I will give another take on Stef - please see Appel, Jane.
Appel made it onto the last WC team early in her pro life because of injury concerns at the center position, but is no longer in the national pool.
Both players are tall, strong centers with high BBIQ, great passers, who played in intricate passing offenses in college with very good success and both also suffered foot/leg issues that they played through so they are tough mentally as well. And they both went through major body changes to improve their speed and stamina in college. And both at the professional level are having a little more trouble having the type of success they had in college. Appel obviously has had longer to grow into the pro game than Stef.
Unfortunately, because I really like Stef as a player and a personality (though I don't like the purple!), I suspect that she will have the same type of career that Appel has had both in the WNBA and for USA basketball. The international especially and the pro game as well is faster than college and while I think Stef will be a good player, I don't think she will likely be an all star.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
All I have to say to this whole Stef argument is that we are only seeing stats we do not have ability to see what she's doing on the court with respect to screening defense offense passing nothing we're not seeing it so bear in mind before you make judgement that you need to take a look at her on the floor, that others are taking a look at her in a different way other than a box score.

I know I sound like a homer - I get it I admit it - but I am also trying to be fair to all of the players who are trying out...even Diggins

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
All I have to say to this whole Stef argument is that we are only seeing stats we do not have ability to see what she's doing on the court with respect to screening defense offense passing nothing we're not seeing it so bear in mind before you make judgement that you need to take a look at her on the floor, that others are taking a look at her in a different way other than a box score.

I know I sound like a homer - I get it I admit it - but I am also trying to be fair to all of the players who are trying out...even Diggins
Good points all. I think the P by P gives a better read than just the box in seeing when and with whom she gets on the floor in these games.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
UcMiami said:
Good points all. I think the P by P gives a better read than just the box in seeing when and with whom she gets on the floor in these games.

But the play-by-play doesn't give you screenings or anything like that - it doesn't show whose passing to whom, it lets you know if there's a turnover and by whom, and a foul but you don't know what kind of file unless you see free throws after it. I mean as I mentioned several times before its a very dry telling of the game and you really can't make any assumptions based on what you read because you not seeing the whole picture.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
But the play-by-play doesn't give you screenings or anything like that - it doesn't show whose passing to whom, it lets you know if there's a turnover and by whom, and a foul but you don't know what kind of file unless you see free throws after it. I mean as I mentioned several times before its a very dry telling of the game and you really can't make any assumptions based on what you read because you not seeing the whole picture.
I was meaning that it gives a little indication of the coaching staff's thinking. Borderline player A gets five minutes playing with the starters or the second wave and borderline player B gets those same 5 minutes but playing with mostly other borderline players it suggest the coaching staff is looking at how player A is going to fit in an emergency situation and player B is only getting a chance to get some exercise.
It is all reading tea leaves at this point with no video but ... based on substitution patterns my read coming into todays games is:
Lavender had a distinct lead on Dolson
Diggins had a slight lead on Sims and McBride
After todays game I think Sims may have done enough to draw even or pass Diggins and Lavender solidified her lead on Dolson (which may be [moot] if BG gets on a plane in the next two days.)

Last edited by a moderator:

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I was meaning that it gives a little indication of the coaching staff's thinking. Borderline player A gets five minutes playing with the starters or the second wave and borderline player B gets those same 5 minutes but playing with mostly other borderline players it suggest the coaching staff is looking at how player A is going to fit in an emergency situation and player B is only getting a chance to get some exercise.
It is all reading tea leaves at this point with no video but ... based on substitution patterns my read coming into todays games is:
Lavender had a distinct lead on Dolson
Diggins had a slight lead on Sims and McBride
After todays game I think Sims may have done enough to draw even or pass Diggins and Lavender solidified her lead on Dolson (which may be [moot] if BG gets on a plane in the next two days.)

ok understood.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Still no news about BG? The longer she waits the less I think the chances are that she is going. It would indicate that the eye is not healing very quickly, IMO.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Without BG I see the 12 as -

Guards: Bird, Taurasi, Whalen, Augustus, Sims

Forwards: Moore, McCoughtry, Stewart, Ogwumike, Dupree

Centers: Charles, Lavender (With BG, I see her as taking Lavender's spot.)

That would be my guess, also. I would like to see stay in the US and not take any risks with her eye. Flying right now could be a decision she regrets for a long time. And the US doesn't need her to win the WC with Cambage out.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
That would be my guess, also. I would like to see stay in the US and not take any risks with her eye. Flying right now could be a decision she regrets for a long time. And the US doesn't need her to win the WC with Cambage out.
The only question in my mind besides whether BG flies is whether Diggins or Sims gets the nod. Up until yesterday it appeared to me that Diggins had the edge and I had seen something about Sims nursing and ankle or foot. Based solely on the box score and P by P she appeared to be more aggressive yesterday and the results were good. I hope she does make the team, but I think it is about a 50% chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom