Dupree and DT Join - BG still being evaluated [merged thread] | The Boneyard

Dupree and DT Join - BG still being evaluated [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
USA posted this:
http://www.usab.com/news-events/new...urasi-added-to-2014-usa-finalists-roster.aspx
Dupree arrived for this morning, DT arriving for this evening and BG still in the USA being evaluated and might be added later. EDD and Sylvia are out with injury and it appears neither Vandersloot or Bonner were invited to Paris.
So the team is at 15 now. And this explains USA keeping Lavender and Dolson over Chiney in the earlier cuts as they definitely will keep at least one of those players on the team should BG be unavailable to deal with some of the very skilled international post players as back-up to Tina.
So ... three cuts are coming with a fourth if BG makes it to Europe. Right now I would say these 8 are locks:
Charles
Augustus
Moore
Angel
DT
Whalen
Bird
Nneka
And then one each from the 3 groups below
1. Dupree/Stewart
2. BG/Dolson/Lavender
3. Sims/Diggins/McBride
The final spot is probably the second from #1, or if BG is unavailable possibly both Lavender and Dolson.
I would say Dupree and Stewart were locks, except USA basketball always seems worried about post play and may view this in the same way as the 2010 squad when they included Appel as insurance that they basically never needed.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Posted basically at the same time - Mods ... want to combine the thread.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Once again, BG opens the door for other players: 2012 Olympics, 2013 WNBA All-Star game (Thompson) and now 2014 WCs. I don't like this pattern, but I am glad to see that she is taking care of her eye situation before traveling. I am also guessing that the break is good for her body, as well.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
USA posted this:
http://www.usab.com/news-events/new...urasi-added-to-2014-usa-finalists-roster.aspx
Dupree arrived for this morning, DT arriving for this evening and BG still in the USA being evaluated and might be added later. EDD and Sylvia are out with injury and it appears neither Vandersloot or Bonner were invited to Paris.
So the team is at 15 now. And this explains USA keeping Lavender and Dolson over Chiney in the earlier cuts as they definitely will keep at least one of those players on the team should BG be unavailable to deal with some of the very skilled international post players as back-up to Tina.
So ... three cuts are coming with a fourth if BG makes it to Europe. Right now I would say these 8 are locks:
Charles
Augustus
Moore
Angel
DT
Whalen
Bird
Nneka
1. Dupree/Stewart
2. BG/Dolson/Lavender
3. Sims/Diggins/McBride
The final spot is probably the second from #1, or if BG is unavailable possibly both Lavender and Dolson.
I would say Dupree and Stewart were locks, except USA basketball always seems worried about post play and may view this in the same way as the 2010 squad when they included Appel as insurance that they basically never needed.

The US currently has maybe 1 player that I think can guard Cambage, and that is Charles. If BG cannot join the team that is going to be a tough match-up for the US.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The US currently has maybe 1 player that I think can guard Cambage, and that is Charles. If BG cannot join the team that is going to be a tough match-up for the US.
It is not just Cambage - there are other good centers in the field as well. I love Nneka's game and Stewart's and Dupree's but none of them have the strength or experience to fill the center. I know a lot of people were annoyed with Jones making the Olympic team, but the 'fill' that she provided was the strength and experience to be able to cover C/F positions on an as needed basis even while giving up a lot of height.
Both Dolson and Lavender have that strength necessary and Lavender has a bit more experience than Dolson whose advantage is system awareness. Neither is ideal, but both might make the team if BG isn't able to go.

Reaction Score
By the same token, none of those centers, have any possibility of guarding Stewie, and for a short while she can create havoc on defense with her length. If you have 2 centers, then Stewie can handle a few minutes at the center position, and as I said none of those centers can guard Stewie.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
If it comes down to a choice between Dolson and Lavender, Stef will get the nod. And I think that would be the right choice. Lavender is not a lot better than Stef in the main area where Stef is weak, which is guarding penetration by smaller but faster forwards. And Stef will set better screens, make better decisions and better passes.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Tweet from Jim Fuller a few minutes ago - BG will not play......looking for more confirmation

upload_2014-9-18_11-29-57.png

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Replied to Jim asking for confirmation....

Reaction Score
If BG can't go, I think you should have Dolson over Lavender. While Lavender is a better offensive player, that is not what team USA needs. They need someone to throw their body around and make life hard for opposing centers and DOlson can do that aside than all the other good things she does.
IMO they remaining 4 (I agree with the 8 locks mentioned above) should be BG (and if she can't than Dolson), Dupree, Stewie and Sims (Diggins is a great player but i think Sims is a better PG)

Coler

LSU/Rutgers fan
Reaction Score
Darn, EDD can't ever catch a break. :(

Really wanted her to play on Team USA, but she'll be a lock for 16' I think.

Reaction Score
If BG can't go, I think you should have Dolson over Lavender. While Lavender is a better offensive player, that is not what team USA needs. They need someone to throw their body around and make life hard for opposing centers and DOlson can do that aside than all the other good things she does.
IMO they remaining 4 (I agree with the 8 locks mentioned above) should be BG (and if she can't than Dolson), Dupree, Stewie and Sims (Diggins is a great player but i think Sims is a better PG)

Agree with your selections. That would make 6 from UConn. That's about right. :)
Here's a stream of consciousness question. What color will Stef's hair be if she plays in Turkey on the US team ?

Reaction Score
Charles
Augustus
Moore
Angel
DT
Whalen
Bird
Nneka
1. Dupree/Stewart
2. Dolson/Lavender
3. Sims/Diggins/McBride

With BG out, I'd say 3 from #1 & 2 and 1 from #3.

McBride seems the longest shot. The team is likely looking for big bodies and the PG of the future.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Fuller responded and made adjustments to his previous tweet:
upload_2014-9-18_12-26-57.png

upload_2014-9-18_12-23-6.png

Here is the LINK to his blog with more....

"With the addition of Candice Dupree, impressive play of Nneka Ogwumike during training camp and potential of Stewart, it remains to be seen if the U.S. thinks they add enough in the post to make up for the lack of a true center to bring off the bench,

I only saw the team live on Sunday and Monday in a practice and then a scrimmage against Canada and neither Dolson nor Lavender were especially productive. However, Lavender does have the added bonus of having been the leading scorer and second-leading rebounder during the EuroLeague season meaning she does have a track record against many of the players the U.S. will meet up with in the World Championships."

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
With BG out, I'd say 3 from #1 & 2 and 1 from #3.

McBride seems the longest shot. The team is likely looking for big bodies and the PG of the future.

Agreed. McBride is a different type of player than Sims or Diggins. Her competition for spots is Augustus, Moore, McCoughtry and she's not good enough to dislodge them yet. Maybe in a couple years.

Also, I think both Dupree and Stewart make it. Still hoping that Griner can play...she's a force of nature.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Fuller responded and made adjustments to his previous tweet:
View attachment 6894

View attachment 6893

Here is the LINK to his blog with more....

Not sure what just happened - when I replied the relevant quote appeared in your post, but I didn't see it in the original so I am adding it here:

"I only saw the team live on Sunday and Monday in a practice and then a scrimmage against Canada and neither Dolson nor Lavender were especially productive. However, Lavender does have the added bonus of having been the leading scorer and second-leading rebounder during the EuroLeague season meaning she does have a track record against many of the players the U.S. will meet up with in the World Championships."
Hadn't realized how effective Lavender had been in Europe last year.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Not sure what just happened - when I replied the relevant quote appeared in your post, but I didn't see it in the original so I am adding it here:

"I only saw the team live on Sunday and Monday in a practice and then a scrimmage against Canada and neither Dolson nor Lavender were especially productive. However, Lavender does have the added bonus of having been the leading scorer and second-leading rebounder during the EuroLeague season meaning she does have a track record against many of the players the U.S. will meet up with in the World Championships."
Hadn't realized how effective Lavender had been in Europe last year.

Agreed. I don't follow her, so this is news. She looked good in the red vs white scrimmage...I was surprised after learning this that they didn't use her more in the Canada scrimmage. Likely we will see more of her in this weekend's tourney.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I know the committee really wanted to add a young guard to the mix this year. If BG is not available and the USA is therefore a little undersized from where they thought they would be with Sylvia and BG available, I wonder if they revisit that choice. They might end up choosing to replace all the forwards/centers missing from the Olympic team with forwards and centers and waiting till the Olympics to add in the new generation of guards?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I wouldn't take Stef or Lavender. I would sacrifice the size to go with players that are more flexible and can provide additional scoring. I would take Nneka, Dupree, Stewart and then take either Skylar or Odyssey (my 1st choice). If Cambage or any other player 6'5" or taller were to have a huge game, Team USA should have enough weapons and defensive abilities to shut down the other players on that team. Phoenix did okay in the 3rd game of the playoffs when they had to match up against Fowles without Griner. Hopefully Griner will be able to play.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
If BG is not available, I would go with Dolson. We need someone with some bulk who can lean on Cambage and I just don't see Lavender having that ability. The team will have plenty of scoring threats and Dolson, IMO, offers the best overall size to push on Cambage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom