do you have hope in this? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

do you have hope in this?

Reaction Score
Actually...it was Coach K that wanted UConn.....UNC and Duke wanted to continue the ACC as a basketball first conference and both supported UConn...and UConn folks knew that.

When the ACC Commissioner announced that about 80% of the upcoming media contract was based on football, that door closed.

Clemson AD in 2012........."For example, in this latest contract with ESPN, 80 percent of it is generated by football," Phillips told TigerNet.com. "As good as basketball has been in the ACC, it is very evident just through this contract that the football has to be very, very relevant."

FOOTBALL......basketball

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Actually...it was Coach K that wanted UConn.....UNC and Duke wanted to continue the ACC as a basketball first conference and both supported UConn...and UConn folks knew that.

When the ACC Commissioner announced that about 80% of the upcoming media contract was based on football, that door closed.

Clemson AD in 2012........."For example, in this latest contract with ESPN, 80 percent of it is generated by football," Phillips told TigerNet.com. "As good as basketball has been in the ACC, it is very evident just through this contract that the football has to be very, very relevant."

FOOTBALL......basketball
Your basketball font is too big...

Reaction Score
Lol most of the blowouts were when we were in a G5 league.

As an indie: we are 1-7 against the P4 (with a 10-point loss to NC State, and a 7-point loss to BC). 3 of the losses were buy games we should have never played.

Our record against P4 teams as part of H/H series as an indie: 1-4. Not great, but if we play 5 P4 opponents every year and go 1-4 that leaves us seven games to get five wins (including one against an FCS opponent). That is very doable. If you can't go 4-2 against a smattering of G5 programs, the issue isn't with scheduling: it's with coaching.
Now we are G5 without a league. So it is a fair comparison. I want to be more than a .500 team regularly. You are happy with 6-6. That’s fine. Just don’t complain when that’s our ceiling. I want to watch games where we are competitive. You are ok with blow outs as long as it’s against a P4 opponent. Again, that’s fine but don’t complain about the players or the coach when it happens.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Can we get a serviceable QB and a few decent RBs, WRs from the portal? We can’t sniff the end zone. I’m tellin’ ya SHU is going to be hanging with us at half nexftweek

Reaction Score
There are other threads about next steps, and all the details about portal/NIL/conference.
This is not that.
My question here is more of a take-away / one-liner.

Do you have hope for the future?
if you want, feel free to share briefly why/why not, but again i'm not looking to turn this into a nitty gritty next-steps thead.
I'd love a poll on this to see what the feeling amongst our fans is beyond individual comments.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'd love a poll on this to see what the feeling amongst our fans is beyond individual comments.
Wait until the end of the season, give it a week or two, and then post one. If you want me to do it shoot me a PM to remind me and I'll put it up for you. I'm curious as well. This season was a bit of a gut punch for me.

I'm not sure that it has been as much of a regression as our record would lead us to believe. We weren't as good as our record indicated last year, and we're not as bad as our record indicates that we are this year. But we're still not a very good football team. After over a decade of this nonsense, it wears on you. Watching the games feels more like a chore than a pleasure. I'd be curious to see where other people are at the end of the season.

Reaction Score
Wait until the end of the season, give it a week or two, and then post one. If you want me to do it shoot me a PM to remind me and I'll put it up for you. I'm curious as well. This season was a bit of a gut punch for me.

I'm not sure that it has been as much of a regression as our record would lead us to believe. We weren't as good as our record indicated last year, and we're not as bad as our record indicates that we are this year. But we're still not a very good football team. After over a decade of this nonsense, it wears on you. Watching the games feels more like a chore than a pleasure. I'd be curious to see where other people are at the end of the season.
You are what your record says you are.

Bill Parcells

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You are what your record says you are.

Bill Parcells
Yeah, I actually thought about referencing this myself. But with the exception of Tennessee, on the field we haven't looked as outclassed as we have in the past. But yeah, we are a one win bad football team.

Reaction Score
More hope now than before since I heard Jim Mora on the coach's show say they've got nearly all the high school recruit slots filled and now they're going to hit the transfer portal hard to find 14 impact players. If there was ever any doubt, it appears he is absolutely fully committed to the success of this program. That's the best news I've heard in a while.

Is the 14 number based on the number of open slots today? I have to believe that the final number will be higher after outbounds.

Reaction Score
I dont have much hope because of the financial situation and the rejection in the latest conference realignment. It's hard to justify the Athletics deficit of $30-40 million per year when the Big 12 used us and the ACC picked Stanford, Cal, SMU (Still can't believe the ACC jammed us like that) over us. If we are not in a major conference by 2026 then I think there's a good chance we shut down the program. Sad, because I like tailgating at Rent.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
I dont have much hope because of the financial situation and the rejection in the latest conference realignment. It's hard to justify the Athletics deficit of $30-40 million per year when the Big 12 used us and the ACC picked Stanford, Cal, SMU (Still can't believe the ACC jammed us like that) over us. If we are not in a major conference by 2026 then I think there's a good chance we shut down the program. Sad, because I like tailgating at Rent.
#PackTheRent. Great name for someone who wants to shut us down. #MothballPAWS is a better one.
Take a breath. We need to be in a conference soon. Great if it is a major, okay if it’s mid major.

Reaction Score
Is the 14 number based on the number of open slots today? I have to believe that the final number will be higher after outbounds.
If you calculate the recruiting class that is coming in and add in that 14 number, it is above the current space on the roster.

Reaction Score
If you calculate the recruiting class that is coming in and add in that 14 number, it is above the current space on the roster.
This week.

Trust me - they will find room on the roster for anyone they want/need and is looking to come on.

Reaction Score
On the coaches show, Mora just said that they are in a better situation this year with the portal because some people put up some NIL money to get better players.

Reaction Score
Hitting the portal "Hard" is all well and good, but they have to do a better job than they have in the past.
On Offense there are 12 portal players with 1 starter.
On Defense there are 15 portal players with 3 starters.

Reaction Score
#PackTheRent. Great name for someone who wants to shut us down. #MothballPAWS is a better one.
Take a breath. We need to be in a conference soon. Great if it is a major, okay if it’s mid major.
I hope it does not happen but I am being realistic. If we are still running a $40 million deficit in 2026 with a small chance to get into a power 4 conference, do you really think it won't be an issue? The choice will either be to close a number of sports contributing to the deficit and save football, or cut football since it is the biggest cause of the deficit. We have been lucky with this governor but at some point it will change.

Reaction Score
I hope it does not happen but I am being realistic. If we are still running a $40 million deficit in 2026 with a small chance to get into a power 4 conference, do you really think it won't be an issue? The choice will either be to close a number of sports contributing to the deficit and save football, or cut football since it is the biggest cause of the deficit. We have been lucky with this governor but at some point it will change.
FCS doesn’t save much money and scrapping football all together isn’t happening. We have a lot invested in football, including great facilities that are already paid for. Going FCS wouldn’t accomplish anything at all.

Reaction Score
I hope there is a transformational change, or dare I say, revolutionary change, and soon. A conference invitation or another major conference disintegrating. Gradual improvement year by year won't accomplish anything, especially with the two steps back approach this year. Without something significant shifting the situation, stick a fork in us.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom