do you have hope in this? | The Boneyard

do you have hope in this?

Reaction Score
There are other threads about next steps, and all the details about portal/NIL/conference.
This is not that.
My question here is more of a take-away / one-liner.

Do you have hope for the future?
if you want, feel free to share briefly why/why not, but again i'm not looking to turn this into a nitty gritty next-steps thead.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
Just a fool’s hope
1699404436442.png

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I haven't given up, but this year has definitelyquestion whether our ascendancy to peace star football is possible.

Reaction Score
Define hope.
Not hard to find.
I am the most pessimistic person on this board in regards to the programs current state. But with that said I have hope - it is small but this program can become competitive. It’s just that we are so far away from that.
Not a fact, I have seen others beyond your pessimistic situation. Hang in and keep the UConn spirit!!!

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
More hope now than before since I heard Jim Mora on the coach's show say they've got nearly all the high school recruit slots filled and now they're going to hit the transfer portal hard to find 14 impact players. If there was ever any doubt, it appears he is absolutely fully committed to the success of this program. That's the best news I've heard in a while.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
Hope is an aspiration that something good might happen by chance. Faith is the belief that something good will happen in the absence of any evidence or understanding to the contrary. We need to operate on faith.
Great post! I have no hope for a turnaround, it hasn't happened for many years now, notwithstanding last year's reversal. We're constantly shunned during realignment, and our best fit spits in our face at every opportunity. No, I have no hope.

Faith however, this keeps me going. Will the school permit football to suck sooo bad that it justifies termination...I can't believe the school wrote allow it, otherwise it shows we're not capable of hanging with the big boys.

Reaction Score
Hopeful yes. I think we need a new OC and DC, but does that happen? Only the school knows, but these "take 3 seconds to get to the Los" run plays need to be removed from the playbook. I think we can be a winning program, yes hopeful. I don't think the ACC is happening. We had a Fiesta bowl and dual national basketball championships and they still snuffed us. I'm almost starting to think it's more likely the ACC implodes when the big football names leave and the Big East makes a pitch to absorb the basketball schools.

Reaction Score
If the 2010 Fiesta Bpwl year is cited as a high point...yes, I think that UConn can be an 8-5 team again. I have faith.

Four of those games were three point games with 3 of the 4 going the Huskies' way. Winning close games makes a difference.

However, as an Indy, it will be very difficult to see a NY6 bowl...and an 8 win record won't get you there if not a conference champ and probably not then.

But, I certainly see participation in one of the 42 bowl games as a recurring future possibility.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Now it's all about the money for staff and players- if the institution takes that to heart and sufficient funds are acquired and flow to the proper places the program will be successful.

If not we're toast.

The bigger question for me (and I'd be curious about others' feelings about this) is how far from the sport I grew up loving things will go before I stop giving a $#!+ about CFB and start following the professional curling circuit.

Reaction Score
If the 2010 Fiesta Bpwl year is cited as a high point...yes, I think that UConn can be an 8-5 team again. I have faith.

Four of those games were three point games with 3 of the 4 going the Huskies' way. Winning close games makes a difference.

However, as an Indy, it will be very difficult to see a NY6 bowl...and an 8 win record won't get you there if not a conference champ and probably not then.

But, I certainly see participation in one of the 42 bowl games as a recurring future possibility.
Having a RB like Todman with a FB like Sherman and an OL like that to block for him helps mightily when trying to go for 8-5.

Reaction Score
Hope is an aspiration that something good might happen by chance. Faith is the belief that something good will happen in the absence of any evidence or understanding to the contrary. We need to operate on faith.
Disagree. Faith is not gonna happen. We are beyond that. But I am good with aspirations. Yes, there are aspirations. That's why I asked the question.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
"Faith" is for losers. It's been so for time immemorial.

Reaction Score
There are other threads about next steps, and all the details about portal/NIL/conference.
This is not that.
My question here is more of a take-away / one-liner.

Do you have hope for the future?
if you want, feel free to share briefly why/why not, but again i'm not looking to turn this into a nitty gritty next-steps thead.

You should give up.

Reaction Score
Most days I believe we can eventually become a moderatly successful team with records like 6-6, 7-5 maybe even 8-4 here and there. However some days, such as after a CR kick or a 59-0 massacre, I have my doubts. But the doubts always subside and my belief returns that are good times for this program in the future, maybe as soon as next year!

Reaction Score
No hope for a competitive team, but I’ll continue to invest in the team, because I occasionally do stupid things

Reaction Score
I think we will be better next year, but I also think we need a realistic world view. Those who think we should be playing a heavily loaded P4 schedule are surely going to be disappointed. We can be a good to very good G5 team. We can win against mid to lower level P5 teams, but again being a realist, our upside is probably 40% on those type games. We aren’t beating a Top 15 team except in some exceptional circumstance. Think Appalachian State over Michigan. If I were making the schedule it would be more AAC/MWC/MAC and less P4. I’d say something like:
AAC: 2 home. 2Away
MWC 1 H 1 A
MAC. 1 H 1A
P4. 1H. 1A
Sun/CUSA 1 H 1A
Substitute FCS for 1 Sun/CUSA from time to time.
Avoid perennial Top 10s.
We need to schedule for success. Look at the ranked G 5 teams. Tulane played Ol’ Miss. That’s it and their only loss. James Madison beat a dismal Virginia by a point. That’s it for Power teams. Both are top 25 teams. Liberty is 25 in the AP and has played 0 p5 teams. We over schedule, at least right now. If we are 10-2, people will talk about us in a good way.

Bottom line is we are where we are. Our goal should be to be a top G5 and that comes from winning games, not from playing the toughest schedule we can assemble. I think Mora can get us to that place. But some of our schedules make that very very difficult. 2026 is nuts. Lafayette then We will probably be 1-4 out of the gate. Even if we are a petty good team. Playing 5 P4 teams is not a route to being successful. It is the route to mediocrity or worse. That’s why Army plays 2 FCS games annually. It’s why Navy did the same prior to joining the AAC. They play a mix of MAC Sunbelt and CUSA and a couple of MW/AAC teams. And at most 2 P5 teams.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom