do you have hope in this? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

do you have hope in this?

Reaction Score
I’m still holding out hope. We have a very good football schedule, considering our independence for the next few years and our basketball is obviously doing very well in the Big East. The Big12 is up for renewal in 2031 so there could be more potential conference realignment later this decade. We have time to correct and make improvements to the football team. I believe there will be quite the turnover after the season is over as many of the existing players will likely hit the portal.

I like Jim Mora’s philosophy of embracing the portal to gain players with game experience.

Reaction Score
Yuck, seems like a step in the wrong direction. If you’re so concerned about planning Wins, I’d rather play two FCS games per year and keep the rest of the independent schedule… I do think AD David Benedict has gotten some good matchups scheduled, and isn’t done yet.
i think the point was, we need to stop playing clemson/michigan/ohio state/tennessee, etc. for the immediate future. the money we make is not worth the embarassment and deeper hole that getting ruined like that, puts us in. it's true that a sun belt opponent isn't as sexy as Michigan, but again what the heck is the point if we have to go to ann arbor just to get destroyed by the end of the first quarter. we need FBS wins and fast. a fairer schedule against appropriate competition, makes that more possible. overscheduling P4's without being one, is masochism.

Reaction Score
i think the point was, we need to stop playing clemson/michigan/ohio state/tennessee, etc. for the immediate future. the money we make is not worth the embarassment and deeper hole that getting ruined like that, puts us in. it's true that a sun belt opponent isn't as sexy as Michigan, but again what the heck is the point if we have to go to ann arbor just to get destroyed by the end of the first quarter. we need FBS wins and fast. a fairer schedule against appropriate competition, makes that more possible. overscheduling P4's without being one, is masochism.
You really don’t have to lose that badly when your team is decent. We’ve beaten SEC and Big Ten schools several times in the past and we were never a great team.

If we can offer NIL money, Mora will recruit well. He’s a great guy with a reputation and a track record. The focus should be on NIL, recruiting and the offense. Downgrading the schedule isn’t worth it.

Reaction Score
I’m still holding out hope. We have a very good football schedule, considering our independence for the next few years and our basketball is obviously doing very well in the Big East. The Big12 is up for renewal in 2031 so there could be more potential conference realignment later this decade. We have time to correct and make improvements to the football team. I believe there will be quite the turnover after the season is over as many of the existing players will likely hit the portal.

I like Jim Mora’s philosophy of embracing the portal to gain players with game experience.
Just remember that shopping in the portal requires enough cash in the collectives allocated to FB and not BB.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
It's an unsolvable problem, imo. Hence, my lack of hope. This market will not support anything less than P5 football. And I see no path there. Especially since the ACC, our only reasonable landing spot seems to want to kill us.
The closest thing to P4 football is playing as many P4 teams as possible (5-6).

shizzle787

Reaction Score
I don't have a problem scheduling P4 teams. I have a problem scheduling buy games at top 20 programs. Playing UNC, Pitt, Ole Miss, Maryland, Wake H/H is perfect for me. Most of those games we can at least be competitive.

Reaction Score
Yuck, seems like a step in the wrong direction. If you’re so concerned about planning Wins, I’d rather play two FCS games per year and keep the rest of the independent schedule… I do think AD David Benedict has gotten some good matchups scheduled, and isn’t done yet.
They are only “good matchups” if we have at least a punchers chance. I’m saying it makes no sense to put together a schedule where your best outcome is 6-6. You guys are like the farmer wow enters his mule in the Kentucky derby. Knows he can’t win but hopes the mule gets a benefit from the association. You guys want to play games we don’t have the horses to win. Do you think James Madison fans say we’re 9-0 and ranked 24 but we didn’t play 4 P5 opponents? Do Tulane fans say we’re 8-1 and probably going to the Sugar Bowl but we only played 1 p5? In a couple of years, with a reasonable schedule, we could get to that level. With our schedule maybe we get to 7-5 in a really good year.

Reaction Score
Too many words without hitting the answer. I’m not worried about the University doing enough. The money we keep throwing at the program, given the last dozen years, is frankly amazing. Can we do things better, or throw more at it, sure.

NIL is not paid for by the school. NIL is paid for by boosters. If you want to know if there is hope, ask whether boosters are willing to support football players with enough money to compete with the good G-5 schools. We know our boosters are doing enough for top basketball players, if not the very top. But the way to rapidly climb the ranks of the G-5 is to have more NIL money from boosters that the school can connect players with.
The UConn budget is $3.1 Billion for next year. The budget without UConn Health is 1.6 Billion. Spending on football is lost in the decimal points.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
You really don’t have to lose that badly when your team is decent. We’ve beaten SEC and Big Ten schools several times in the past and we were never a great team.

If we can offer NIL money, Mora will recruit well. He’s a great guy with a reputation and a track record. The focus should be on NIL, recruiting and the offense. Downgrading the schedule isn’t worth it.
This is the post that everyone panicking needs to re-read! If we had won a couple of the close games this year, most folks wouldn’t be wanting to downgrade the schedule.

Let’s use the NIL right, hit the portal hard this off-season and see how the next year or two look before we downgrade the schedule/team.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
They are only “good matchups” if we have at least a punchers chance. I’m saying it makes no sense to put together a schedule where your best outcome is 6-6. You guys are like the farmer wow enters his mule in the Kentucky derby. Knows he can’t win but hopes the mule gets a benefit from the association. You guys want to play games we don’t have the horses to win. Do you think James Madison fans say we’re 9-0 and ranked 24 but we didn’t play 4 P5 opponents? Do Tulane fans say we’re 8-1 and probably going to the Sugar Bowl but we only played 1 p5? In a couple of years, with a reasonable schedule, we could get to that level. With our schedule maybe we get to 7-5 in a really good year.
This isn't even honest. We played 4 P5 opponents including BC who is one of the worst power conference programs.
Most of us went into the season thinking we could win anywhere from 5-8 games. Yes, Tennessee was going to be an automatic loss, but every other game (bar NC State), most people thought we would have a chance to win. The other problem is that many people are forgetting our two easiest opponents we have not even played yet. We are not going to finish 1-11. At worst we will finish 2-10 and likely 3-9. We literally blew three games this year. That is the difference between being a bowl team and not. We can be competitive, and we are likely to get blown out by James Madison this week but they are 9-0.

I would rather be 7-5 playing a P4-heavy schedule than 8-4 or 9-3 playing in the MAC. It is much more of an achievement, and let's not forget, UConn has NEVER won more than 9 games at the FBS level so I do not expect that to happen in CUSA or the MAC.

Reaction Score
The UConn budget is $3.1 Billion for next year. The budget without UConn Health is 1.6 Billion. Spending on football is lost in the decimal points.
Not quite. That spending is offset by revenue. It is the balance between the two which is important. The deficit, if there is one, must be covered by the State. That is the touchy part.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
This isn't even honest. We played 4 P5 opponents including BC who is one of the worst power conference programs.
Most of us went into the season thinking we could win anywhere from 5-8 games. Yes, Tennessee was going to be an automatic loss, but every other game (bar NC State), most people thought we would have a chance to win. The other problem is that many people are forgetting our two easiest opponents we have not even played yet. We are not going to finish 1-11. At worst we will finish 2-10 and likely 3-9. We literally blew three games this year. That is the difference between being a bowl team and not. We can be competitive, and we are likely to get blown out by James Madison this week but they are 9-0.

I would rather be 7-5 playing a P4-heavy schedule than 8-4 or 9-3 playing in the MAC. It is much more of an achievement, and let's not forget, UConn has NEVER won more than 9 games at the FBS level so I do not expect that to happen in CUSA or the MAC.
My sentiments exactly.

Reaction Score

UConn has never won more than nine games in a regular season and only two, 2 loss regular seasons since the year I was born which was a long time ago. Program should have been better even without the BCS come.

Reaction Score
That will DEFINITELY happen. The only question is whether it is in this millennium or the next.
Thank you for your interest and support of Jim Mora and UConn football.

Reaction Score
I can see your point but I also think (1) we will get zero to little football credibility from a conference realignment perspective joining a G5 conference as football only or playing a G5 weighted football schedule, and (2) if we joined one of the better G5 conferences or even played the better G5 football teams consistently, we may not win the majority of those games which just devalues our football brand even more.

Reaction Score

Since 2015 here is our record against P5 teams: 2-19. Outscored 751-233. 6 Losses by less than 2 tds. So 14 have essentially been blowouts. The teams we have played ranged from the top (Michigan, Tenn, Clemson) to the bottom (Bc, Vandy) of P5. I’m not saying don’t ever play another P4. I’m fine with teams like BC, Virginia, Syracuse, Vanderbilt, Illinois. I am saying we need to limit those games to 2/year. We simply don’t have the horses to compete. We barely compete with the bottom wrung of P5 teams. If we start putting together winning seasons with 9-10 wins and national rankings or borderline ranking, better bowls and so forth, we can rethink scheduling.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Since 2015 here is our record against P5 teams: 2-19. Outscored 751-233. 6 Losses by less than 2 tds. So 14 have essentially been blowouts. The teams we have played ranged from the top (Michigan, Tenn, Clemson) to the bottom (Bc, Vandy) of P5. I’m not saying don’t ever play another P4. I’m fine with teams like BC, Virginia, Syracuse, Vanderbilt, Illinois. I am saying we need to limit those games to 2/year. We simply don’t have the horses to compete. We barely compete with the bottom wrung of P5 teams. If we start putting together winning seasons with 9-10 wins and national rankings or borderline ranking, better bowls and so forth, we can rethink scheduling.
Lol most of the blowouts were when we were in a G5 league.

As an indie: we are 1-7 against the P4 (with a 10-point loss to NC State, and a 7-point loss to BC). 3 of the losses were buy games we should have never played.

Our record against P4 teams as part of H/H series as an indie: 1-4. Not great, but if we play 5 P4 opponents every year and go 1-4 that leaves us seven games to get five wins (including one against an FCS opponent). That is very doable. If you can't go 4-2 against a smattering of G5 programs, the issue isn't with scheduling: it's with coaching.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Well, their teams do still schedule UConn, so I don't quite agree with that part. But yes,nothing less than P4 football will be supported. Except when it comes to raising money to pay the players. So there is indeed no path unless UConn wins both natties this winter and a P4 invites UConn. Then things get easier. But until then?
There is no doubt we will be competitive if we got in, in NIL and any other way. But I can't see us ever getting good enough to get in from the outside.

Reaction Score
We definitely shouldn't schedule anymore bodybag/payday games. It's not worth the money losing 59-3. Schedule a Sunbelt/CUSA/MAC/Mountain West team and have a fighting chance of winning the game and get a home and home. The goal going forward is to finish 6-6 to 8-4 so we're in good position when the next round of Conference realignment happens, likely in 5-7 years.

A payday game such as Notre Dame at Yankee Stadium or Fenway Park or similar may be something to be considered?

Reaction Score
I can see your point but I also think (1) we will get zero to little football credibility from a conference realignment perspective joining a G5 conference as football only or playing a G5 weighted football schedule, and (2) if we joined one of the better G5 conferences or even played the better G5 football teams consistently, we may not win the majority of those games which just devalues our football brand even more.
my point is simple - nothing loses credibility faster than LOSING. Quality of schedule does matter, I agree - but if it were all that mattered for getting into P4, then screw it - let's just schedule the entire SEC and B1G for all 12 games. go 0-12 and 60 Points For / 550 Points Against, but MANNN look at those brands on our schedule!!! please let us in, Big 12?? Bueller?

see what i mean?

it doesn't matter if it's the dallas cowboys, if we get destroyed. Especially if we the next week we get destroyed again by the likes of GA State.

we. are. not. at. that. point. yet. We need to win first. Winning gets eyeballs, eyeballs gets money, money gets better recruits and staffing talent, talent get wins, wins get eyeballs... etc. Because we don't have the talent to win at the level we want to win at, we must adjust the schedule to give us a shot to win with the talent we ARE able to get. Since our schedule is set and we're locked to going to Columbus OH in a few years, then we need money to buy the kids. lol

Reaction Score
We definitely shouldn't schedule anymore bodybag/payday games. It's not worth the money losing 59-3. Schedule a Sunbelt/CUSA/MAC/Mountain West team and have a fighting chance of winning the game and get a home and home. The goal going forward is to finish 6-6 to 8-4 so we're in good position when the next round of Conference realignment happens, likely in 5-7 years.

A payday game such as Notre Dame at Yankee Stadium or Fenway Park or similar may be something to be considered?
agree - i think some people here think i'm saying that we shouldn't play any P4's ever. That's not what i'm saying. I have no problem scheduling mid-level P4 teams (indiana, illinois, wake forest, duke, arizona, northwestern, vandy, georgia tech, etc.) to keep our strength of schedule at a respectable level for the eventual next round of conference discussions.

But there is no value in getting annihilated by Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, Bama, and the like. well besides a literal paycheck, but man that is some FCS-level thinking to do that to ourselves. Keep in mind those body bag games are the few times Uconn gets on primetime ESPN - so all people see of us, is demolishings. That cannot be worth the paycheck Michigan is paying us.

like cmon guys (talking to UConn athletic dept)

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
UConn had a losing season in 2012...Louisville was 11-2 that year in the BE...and in 2013 went 12-1 in the AAC while UConn was 3-9...UConn didn't hold serve after their 8 win seasons and Louisville was tapped to go to the ACC in 2014.

You can blame an ACC grudge...but UConn had three consecutive losing seasons right before Louisville went to the ACC...the fact that Louisville was 2012-13 basketball NC probably did not play in....but it did not hurt.
It's more than blame on grudge, it's optics. I can't defend UConn's record after the Fiesta Bowl, they laid a massive goosegg. Yet the ACC knew that record and still had it play out very publicly that UConn was under (leading?) consideration to join. Can't dispute that Louisville did a better job of advocating while Warde and Suzy were chasing butterflies. If the ACC, like the Big12 this year, truly wanted UConn, they take them. Nope. I'm exaggerating, but I think this disdain for UConn goes back to the 1999 MBB championship upset of their precious Puke. Had UConn lost, maybe they actually get invited.;)

Reaction Score

Doesn't Notre Dame still owe UCONN a game at Rentschler?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom