do you have hope in this? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

do you have hope in this?

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
I'm a fan of all things UConn. I get disgruntled and may even give up in the short term, like this year for football, but I always have hope for the future. I still have faith in Jim Mora.

mikedog10

Tailgating Enthusiast
Reaction Score
If I were making the schedule it would be more AAC/MWC/MAC and less P4. I’d say something like:
AAC: 2 home. 2Away
MWC 1 H 1 A
MAC. 1 H 1A
P4. 1H. 1A
Sun/CUSA 1 H 1A
Substitute FCS for 1 Sun/CUSA from time to time.
Avoid perennial Top 10s.
Yuck, seems like a step in the wrong direction. If you’re so concerned about planning Wins, I’d rather play two FCS games per year and keep the rest of the independent schedule… I do think AD David Benedict has gotten some good matchups scheduled, and isn’t done yet.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hope is an aspiration that something good might happen by chance. Faith is the belief that something good will happen in the absence of any evidence or understanding to the contrary. We need to operate on faith.
That's a nice distinction. Hope is aspirational while faith is absolute belief.

I hope that the program can become competitive once again, but, I don't have faith that it will happen.

Reaction Score
I think we underestimate the the disdain the rest of the country has for UConn.
I agree with this. Hence my argument that we over schedule. Having 4-6 games a year where we have no shot does no good for our perception. Winning 8-10 games a year changes it even if those are eh teams.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I agree with this. Hence my argument that we over schedule. Having 4-6 games a year where we have no shot does no good for our perception. Winning 8-10 games a year changes it even if those are eh teams.
It's a fair point, but I also think it's a dangerous mindset. Once you start seeking success by lowering your competition there is the potential to think that you could have more success by lowering your competition further and so on. It's a death spiral mindset or, at least, has the potential to become one.

Reaction Score
It's a fair point, but I also think it's a dangerous mindset. Once you start seeking success by lowering your competition there is the potential to think that you could have more success by lowering your competition further and so on. It's a death spiral mindset or, at least, has the potential to become one.
I disagree. Our current scheduling mindset is what creates a death spiral. Playing 4-6 games a year where you are almost guarenteed to lose means you are almost guaranteeing a 500 record is your upside. Army is the poster child for this. They play 2 P5 teams a year, but offset this with 2 FCS teams. This year they played 3 P5s but that is unusual. They also played Delaware State and have Holy Cross. Navy did the same thing when Johnson came pre AAC. VaTech used to schedule non-conference teams they new they would usually beat outside there old Big East games. They wanted to be 4-0 in the non-league portion of the schedule. Once they were an established program they upgraded their schedule. Just to be clear, I’m not advocating playing 2 FCS teams. But not 4-6 P5 teams either.

Reaction Score
I think we will be better next year, but I also think we need a realistic world view. Those who think we should be playing a heavily loaded P4 schedule are surely going to be disappointed. We can be a good to very good G5 team. We can win against mid to lower level P5 teams, but again being a realist, our upside is probably 40% on those type games. We aren’t beating a Top 15 team except in some exceptional circumstance. Think Appalachian State over Michigan. If I were making the schedule it would be more AAC/MWC/MAC and less P4. I’d say something like:
AAC: 2 home. 2Away
MWC 1 H 1 A
MAC. 1 H 1A
P4. 1H. 1A
Sun/CUSA 1 H 1A
Substitute FCS for 1 Sun/CUSA from time to time.
Avoid perennial Top 10s.
We need to schedule for success. Look at the ranked G 5 teams. Tulane played Ol’ Miss. That’s it and their only loss. James Madison beat a dismal Virginia by a point. That’s it for Power teams. Both are top 25 teams. Liberty is 25 in the AP and has played 0 p5 teams. We over schedule, at least right now. If we are 10-2, people will talk about us in a good way.

Bottom line is we are where we are. Our goal should be to be a top G5 and that comes from winning games, not from playing the toughest schedule we can assemble. I think Mora can get us to that place. But some of our schedules make that very very difficult. 2026 is nuts. Lafayette then We will probably be 1-4 out of the gate. Even if we are a petty good team. Playing 5 P4 teams is not a route to being successful. It is the route to mediocrity or worse. That’s why Army plays 2 FCS games annually. It’s why Navy did the same prior to joining the AAC. They play a mix of MAC Sunbelt and CUSA and a couple of MW/AAC teams. And at most 2 P5 teams.
Well sorry, but no one will care to come and watch if you do that. I would much rather go back to FCS and play an ex-Yankee, Patriot, and Ivy schedule.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It's an unsolvable problem, imo. Hence, my lack of hope. This market will not support anything less than P5 football. And I see no path there. Especially since the ACC, our only reasonable landing spot seems to want to kill us.

Reaction Score
I don't think that rhe ACC wants to kill the Huskies...I think it is all about football and has been for 20 years...

How much discussion of Cal, Stanford, or SMU's basketball worth did we really hear ?

Reaction Score
I don't think that rhe ACC wants to kill the Huskies...I think it is all about football and has been for 20 years...

How much discussion of Cal, Stanford, or SMU's basketball worth did we really hear ?
Unfortunately it's been made amply clear that basketball doesn't matter.

Reaction Score

Cal, Stanford, and SMU aren’t exactly world beaters on the football field.

Reaction Score
I disagree. Our current scheduling mindset is what creates a death spiral. Playing 4-6 games a year where you are almost guarenteed to lose means you are almost guaranteeing a 500 record is your upside. Army is the poster child for this. They play 2 P5 teams a year, but offset this with 2 FCS teams. This year they played 3 P5s but that is unusual. They also played Delaware State and have Holy Cross. Navy did the same thing when Johnson came pre AACoVaTech used to schedule non-conference teams they new they would usually beat outside there old Big East games. They wanted to be 4-0 in the non-league portion of the schedule. Once they were an established program they upgraded their schedule.
Well sorry, but no one will care to come and watch if you do that. I would much rather go back to FCS and play an ex-Yankee, Patriot, and Ivy schedule.
Then don’t go. I suspect a 10-2 team will out draw a 6-6 one on a regular basis.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately it's been made amply clear that basketball doesn't matter.
I mean I agree. We have been the best program, measured by championships at least, for the last 25 years. Nobody has won more championships over the past quarter century. It has gotten us nowhere.

Reaction Score
Too many words without hitting the answer. I’m not worried about the University doing enough. The money we keep throwing at the program, given the last dozen years, is frankly amazing. Can we do things better, or throw more at it, sure.

NIL is not paid for by the school. NIL is paid for by boosters. If you want to know if there is hope, ask whether boosters are willing to support football players with enough money to compete with the good G-5 schools. We know our boosters are doing enough for top basketball players, if not the very top. But the way to rapidly climb the ranks of the G-5 is to have more NIL money from boosters that the school can connect players with.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score

Respectfully disagree. Considering the Fiesta Bowl appearance and beating South Carolina in a bowl, UConn was doing reasonably well in football, but the ACC chose Louisville University when they had a chance to elevate the conference with an across the board solid academic and athletic university that gets more of the New York market than the fruit could. Don't kid yourself Billy, your beloved ACC has a singular goal of hurting UConn every time it can, and it has.

Reaction Score
Yuck, seems like a step in the wrong direction. If you’re so concerned about planning Wins, I’d rather play two FCS games per year and keep the rest of the independent schedule… I do think AD David Benedict has gotten some good matchups scheduled, and isn’t done yet.
you can only count 1 FCS game per year.

---

I'm not up for making the scheduling easier. I don't the scheduling Michigan or Tennessee has any real value until we have a 10-20 percent chance of winning but i know these contracts are done far in advance. My desire for the MAC is more a league to give the players something to fight for every week, to struggle up and down the standings and leaderboard.

Reaction Score
So seems like a long time ago. This team was very competitive against NC St. 10 point loss. From there, straight down hill.

Reaction Score
If the 2010 Fiesta Bpwl year is cited as a high point...yes, I think that UConn can be an 8-5 team again. I have faith.

Four of those games were three point games with 3 of the 4 going the Huskies' way. Winning close games makes a difference.

However, as an Indy, it will be very difficult to see a NY6 bowl...and an 8 win record won't get you there if not a conference champ and probably not then.

But, I certainly see participation in one of the 42 bowl games as a recurring future possibility.
As an outsider with an keen interest in football and some UConn knowledge
In the absence of a P conference invite for 5-6 years
Is the Best course Indy or a G5 league as a football only ?
if the later
Which league is the best option?
PAC/MW if it happens
AAC
MAC
Sunbelt
CUSA

Reaction Score
Cal, Stanford, and SMU aren’t exactly world beaters on the football field.

Respectfully disagree. Considering the Fiesta Bowl appearance and beating South Carolina in a bowl, UConn was doing reasonably well in football, but the ACC chose Louisville University when they had a chance to elevate the conference with an across the board solid academic and athletic university that gets more of the New York market than the fruit could. Don't kid yourself Billy, your beloved ACC has a singular goal of hurting UConn every time it can, and it has.

UConn had a losing season in 2012...Louisville was 11-2 that year in the BE...and in 2013 went 12-1 in the AAC while UConn was 3-9...UConn didn't hold serve after their 8 win seasons and Louisville was tapped to go to the ACC in 2014.

You can blame an ACC grudge...but UConn had three consecutive losing seasons right before Louisville went to the ACC...the fact that Louisville was 2012-13 basketball NC probably did not play in....but it did not hurt.

Reaction Score
Can I wait to see the caliber of the 12-14 players Mora gets from the portal? Always faithful but a great crew of impact players would sure make things seem more hopeful.

Reaction Score
UConn had a losing season in 2012...Louisville was 11-2 that year in the BE...and in 2013 went 12-1 in the AAC while UConn was 3-9...UConn didn't hold serve after their 8 win seasons and Louisville was tapped to go to the ACC in 2014.

You can blame an ACC grudge...but UConn had three consecutive losing seasons right before Louisville went to the ACC...the fact that Louisville was 2012-13 basketball NC probably did not play in....but it did not hurt.
No doubt. That played a huge role. I was just stating a fact about the 3 new additions. They are all pretty terrible. I think SMU will elevate their programs in the ACC. I think the move for Cal and Stanford will be a net loss in terms of athletics for both school and makes absolutely no sense for them.

Reaction Score
It's an unsolvable problem, imo. Hence, my lack of hope. This market will not support anything less than P5 football. And I see no path there. Especially since the ACC, our only reasonable landing spot seems to want to kill us.
Well, their teams do still schedule UConn, so I don't quite agree with that part. But yes,nothing less than P4 football will be supported. Except when it comes to raising money to pay the players. So there is indeed no path unless UConn wins both natties this winter and a P4 invites UConn. Then things get easier. But until then?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom