Do you guys think...... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Do you guys think......

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Even if the AD doesn't read the boneyard, the athletic department should be using a number of tools to determine overall interest and the specific topics being discussed on the internet as pertains to UConn sports. This should be reported daily to his office. I do not know if he has this done. But he should.
I know for a fact ('cause they told me) that the UConn Compliance Dept reads the Boneyard. I once asked Geno Auriemma if he reads the Boneyard and he said, "No, but everyone else does" meaning his assistants, the players and their parents. Believe me, the players in all UConn sports know about the Boneyard.

Reaction Score
It will be very easy for Manuel to gauge interest in the program. Barring a miracle repeat of 2010, the Rent may be the emptiest it's ever been for the Cincinnati game. Second, send out a survey email to season ticket holders after Dec. 1 asking if they plan to renew next season. That should do the trick.

Reaction Score
I thought the same thing, then I realized what he says is meaningless. If we win the next 5 games, PP definately returns. WM isn't going to make his decision right now. As much as I want a new coach, I realize that it is still "possible" to go 8-4. At season's end, I think 7-5 or better and PP is lock to return, 6-6 maybe a 60/40 chance. Any less and WM goes shopping. But right now, as of today, WM is hoping Coach P works a miracle.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Obviously the folks who cover the program daily have their opinions, just as folks on this board do. When/If it happens it will be Herbst, Manuel and BOT who put it in motion - until then...

Ed Daigneault@EdDaigneault
Buckle up, #UConn football fans. Pasqualoni isn't going anywhere this year, nor is DeLeone, IMO. Good or bad, that's what it is.

Desmond Conner@desmondconner
Folks recruits read #rumors. #UConn is not looking for a new football coach. You're going a little too far now whoever started it #SHAME

I saw these tweets last night when my infant son woke me up at 2:00. I know Mr. Connor has been adament about his belief that the Coaching staff is here for the 2013 season. He is on record as saying Coach P has been running Coach Edsall's players and should have an opportunity to coach his own recruits. He also has what amounts to a Vote of Confidence from the Athletic Director on the current coachig staff. That said, I have a few coments and questions:

C1) The above tweets only reference THIS year and UConn is not CURRENTLY looking for a new coach. The Athletic Department would certainly be better served in waiting for the end of the year and get all the facts before making a move.
C2) If memory serves, the Courant Blog, including Mr. Connor, got all up in Boston College's grill about their coaching staff telling Mike Nebrich that the Edsall administration wasn't going to be here. Now, I realize that most of that conversation related to dirty pool in the recruiting game and Screaming Eagles fans were less than cordial, but what ultimately happened? Edsall took his "dream job" 8 hours after losing to Alabama and Spaz's staff was proven right.
Q1) How many times has a general manager or athletic director given the infamous V.O.C. and the coach is gone in a matter on weeks? Anectdotal? Perhaps. But it seems to happen a lot to the point of being at least circumstantial. BL may tell us that, anectdotally, juries have convicted on less.

Reaction Score
ruskin, In a sense, at least from a scheduling perspective, next season could be almost a free pass as far as UConn football goes. Probably the best home schedule in our history. they will sell a few extra season tix just for the Michigan game, Randy returns with Maryland and if by some fluke, ranked Louisville, Rutgers and say Boise, for example, end up on the home slate the ticket base might actually increase. so given that, Manuel might decide that its worth the risk to keep Pasqualoni around another season. That depends largely on his evaluation of whether he thinks that we are seeing an upgrade in talent and potential I think. Remember Pitt in Wanstadt's first two years went 5-7, 6-6 then turned it around and went 10-3, so it is possible.

Reaction Score
Desmond Conner and Co. have a soft spot for Coach P. He treats them better than Edsall did, and many of the media thought Edsall was a liar and phony.

I think they will say anything they can to try and stabilize things.

Secondly, it was dirty pool on BC's part. It's negative recruiting. However it was an open secret that Edsall's desired future landing spot was an ACC or SEC School in the south, or a few other choice national level destinations. If Georgia Tech had offered him a job, I think he would have left after the 2007 season.

All of this "I'll stay as long as you will have me" was a bunch of malarkey:)

Reaction Score
The unfolding drama is that GDL is on much thinner ice than PP and how loyal will PP be to G when the order comes down to get a new offensive coordinator. P may not go to the mat and grudgingly get a new OC but he'll probably find a way to keep his buddy on the staff. It's just got to be somewhere where he can do the least amount of damage (ie no input into the gameplan and not undermine a new OC). It will suck if we lose Foley.
The rough scoring average for FBS teams is 28 (Stanford is 60th of 120 at 28.5. We're 109th at 19.0; throw out UMass and we'd be at 116th. That ain't selling too many seats for 2013.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I get that and wrote as much:
… Now, I realize that most of that conversation related to dirty pool in the recruiting game and Screaming Eagles fans were less than cordial…
But all the facts were not known that summer and the season had yet to be played out. I believe there would have been a much lesser chance that Maryland would have come calling if the 2010 team went 3-2 or 4-1 down the stretch missed the BCS, and played in the Beef O’Brady’s Bowl instead.

Similarly, this season has not played itself out. Future results may force the Athletic Director to re-evaluate his earlier position.

Reaction Score
I thought the same thing, then I realized what he says is meaningless. If we win the next 5 games, PP definately returns. WM isn't going to make his decision right now. As much as I want a new coach, I realize that it is still "possible" to go 8-4. At season's end, I think 7-5 or better and PP is lock to return, 6-6 maybe a 60/40 chance. Any less and WM goes shopping. But right now, as of today, WM is hoping Coach P works a miracle.

I don't think you ever want to announce you're firing a coach before it's done. Look at the mess in Maryland where they announced it's the Fridge's last year, then they go out and won a bunch of games. Then last year everyone wonders why they fired a 9 win coach to bring in a 2 win coach. He's turning things around now, but it was a messy transition to say the least. Plus, I would imagine that knowing the coach will be gone is terrible for recruiting. All we can hope for is that Warde is knee deep in information on prospective hires in case we need to go shopping in 6 weeks. I'm still hopeful that we'll win out, but I'm sure Warde will have contingency plans.

Reaction Score
The rough scoring average for FBS teams is 28 (Stanford is 60th of 120 at 28.5. We're 109th at 19.0; throw out UMass and we'd be at 116th. That ain't selling too many seats for 2013.
But as I said, with the home schedule we have coming up, i think there is really a prospect of selling a pretty hefty number of season tix. And don't be shocked if Michigan is only available as part of the season ticket package. When you have a big name opponent it isn't uncommon for programs to do that.

Reaction Score
I saw these tweets last night when my infant son woke me up at 2:00. I know Mr. Connor has been adament about his belief that the Coaching staff is here for the 2013 season. He is on record as saying Coach P has been running Coach Edsall's players and should have an opportunity to coach his own recruits. He also has what amounts to a Vote of Confidence from the Athletic Director on the current coachig staff. That said, I have a few coments and questions:

C1) The above tweets only reference THIS year and UConn is not CURRENTLY looking for a new coach. The Athletic Department would certainly be better served in waiting for the end of the year and get all the facts before making a move.
C2) If memory serves, the Courant Blog, including Mr. Connor, got all up in Boston College's grill about their coaching staff telling Mike Nebrich that the Edsall administration wasn't going to be here. Now, I realize that most of that conversation related to dirty pool in the recruiting game and Screaming Eagles fans were less than cordial, but what ultimately happened? Edsall took his "dream job" 8 hours after losing to Alabama and Spaz's staff was proven right.
Q1) How many times has a general manager or athletic director given the infamous V.O.C. and the coach is gone in a matter on weeks? Anectdotal? Perhaps. But it seems to happen a lot to the point of being at least circumstantial. BL may tell us that, anectdotally, juries have convicted on less.

We played Alabama? Dang - they game planned for Oklahoma. Red uniforms are red uniforms :D I'm glad my 0200 wake ups are long gome!

Reaction Score
But as I said, with the home schedule we have coming up, i think there is really a prospect of selling a pretty hefty number of season tix. And don't be shocked if Michigan is only available as part of the season ticket package. When you have a big name opponent it isn't uncommon for programs to do that.
Right, like the people who bought BC season tix this year just for ND. If Irish stay undefeated those tix buyers will make a killing even if they didn't use/sell the other games.
If Manuel/Herbst don't make any staff chaages based on the "We're not making changes because we know we're going to make a killing on Michigan" they are trading short-term gain for long-term dissatisfaction.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
5-7 may win PP another year with the comments from WM we read this morning.

You've heard of coach speak, well that's AD speak. He can't anything with games left to play. Manual knows this program is dead in the water. Below .500, P is gone.

Husky25

Reaction Score
We played Alabama? Dang - they game planned for Oklahoma. Red uniforms are red uniforms :D I'm glad my 0200 wake ups are long gome!
oops. sorry. Brain Fart...

Reaction Score
Right, like the people who bought BC season tix this year just for ND. If Irish stay undefeated those tix buyers will make a killing even if they didn't use/sell the other games.
If Manuel/Herbst don't make any staff chaages based on the "We're not making changes because we know we're going to make a killing on Michigan" they are trading short-term gain for long-term dissatisfaction.
read my first comment on this...If Manuel decides that the program is going in the right direction, and right now that seems an awfully big stretch, but there are 5 games left, with next season's home schedule, which will likely be the best we've had so far...potentially 5 ranked teams, they can take a chance that things will work out because with that many Top 25 teams coming they will sell tickets. It isn't short term thinking. It is a calculated risk. It just means they don't have to be forced to make a decision to please the fan base. because the base won't stay away in droves next season. Because if you are a UConn fan and you tell me you are not going to see Michigan unless Pasqualoni is ousted, I don't believe you for a minute...

Reaction Score
Scoot, sad to say, unless GDL is moved to a place where he doesn't have major influence over the offense, Id sell the Mich tickets the way the anti-Spaz BC people are selling their ND tix. And I hate saying that; been to almost every game at the rent. Guarantee I'm not alone. There is going to be a lot of maize and Blue at the Rent as it is, it'll be double if George is still OC.

Reaction Score
Scoot, sad to say, unless GDL is moved to a place where he doesn't have major influence over the offense, Id sell the Mich tickets the way the anti-Spaz BC people are selling their ND tix. And I hate saying that; been to almost every game at the rent. Guarantee I'm not alone. There is going to be a lot of maize and Blue at the Rent as it is, it'll be double if George is still OC.

Well if you're going that ridiculous route - I sure hope you give the UConn fans first shot @ your tix!

Reaction Score
the BC thing isn't comparable anyway. BC and Notre Dame have played and the Irish have come to Boston for 20 years, so getting to see them play isn't the draw is was the first time they played. Michigan is the first really big names coming to Rentschler...first of the historic powers. Of course people will want to be there...regardless of who the head coach is, and certainly they won't be deterred because of the Offensive coordinator...you'll likely get way over face value for your tix, though. Spend it well...

Reaction Score
From a purely capitalist standpoint, it's not 'ridiculous'. I think the market prices for Michigan will be pretty similar to this
http://boston.craigslist.org/search/tix?query=Notre+Dame&srchType=A&minAsk=&maxAsk=
Beyond that, the games cease to be fun when you have worry from the start if the coaches are going to do the right/smart thing and when it ceases to be enjoyable it's time to stop subsidizing it. If GDL is running the offense next September against Michigan, I'll root for UConn, but from in front of a TV.

Reaction Score
the BC thing isn't comparable anyway. BC and Notre Dame have played and the Irish have come to Boston for 20 years, so getting to see them play isn't the draw is was the first time they played.
I'd agree if it was the same mediocre ND team of recent years but what makes this year's trip different is the Irish might be coming to BC undefeated.

Reaction Score
From a purely capitalist standpoint, it's not 'ridiculous'. I think the market prices for Michigan will be pretty similar to this
http://boston.craigslist.org/search/tix?query=Notre+Dame&srchType=A&minAsk=&maxAsk=
Beyond that, the games cease to be fun when you have worry from the start if the coaches are going to do the right/smart thing and when it ceases to be enjoyable it's time to stop subsidizing it. If GDL is running the offense next September against Michigan, I'll root for UConn, but from in front of a TV.

Take your money and run for all I care but if you sell your UConn tickets to Michigan fans before offering them to UConn fans first it is no doubt ridiculous and I don't see how you can argue it (but sure you will).

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Obviously the folks who cover the program daily have their opinions, just as folks on this board do. When/If it happens it will be Herbst, Manuel and BOT who put it in motion - until then...

Ed Daigneault@EdDaigneault
Buckle up, #UConn football fans. Pasqualoni isn't going anywhere this year, nor is DeLeone, IMO. Good or bad, that's what it is.

Desmond Conner@desmondconner
Folks recruits read #rumors. #UConn is not looking for a new football coach. You're going a little too far now whoever started it #SHAME

I will wager that the question (is UConn looking to replace PP) has been asked and I will wager heavily that the standard answer is "No. We do not foresee any coaching changes". This is said as the wheels are perilously close to falling off as it is and everything would become completely unhinged if a statement comes from UConn's administration even remotely suggesting a coaching change is being considered.

Daigneault, Conner and any other journalist publishing (or tweeting) this is merely passing on what he was told and not considering the possibility that they are not being given the complete truth.

I don't know how quickly those in charge are willing to act but I would be stunned if PP isn't informed that there must be major changes for him to remain. I also have a good idea on what things are like among the coaching staff and I do not see it as possible for the entirety of the offensive staff to return. If one member does return, at least two other members will not.

Reaction Score
Daigneault, Conner and any other journalist publishing (or tweeting) this is merely passing on what he was told and not considering the possibility that they are not being given the complete truth.

Dude are you for real... give these guys some credit.

Geez - a reporter not believeing the answer given but quoting it anyways never happens.

Bovine-excrement-meter-animation.gif

Husky25

Reaction Score
I will wager that the question (is UConn looking to replace PP) has been asked and I will wager heavily that the standard answer is "No. We do not foresee any coaching changes". This is said as the wheels are perilously close to falling off as it is and everything would become completely unhinged if a statement comes from UConn's administration even remotely suggesting a coaching change is being considered.

I don't know how quickly those in charge are willing to act but I would be stunned if PP isn't informed that there must be major changes for him to remain. I also have a good idea on what things are like among the coaching staff and I do not see it as possible for the entirety of the offensive staff to return. If one member does return, at least two other members will not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom