Diggins, McBride and Dolson Cut | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Diggins, McBride and Dolson Cut

Status
Not open for further replies.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I doubt Angel would have a snit around Geno, she knows that does not fly with him from prior USA team experience. She did whatever he needed from her the last time and I am sure she will do so again. I must confess, I thought that what little I did see of Ms. Diggins this time around, that her demeanor was much improved from her ND days. (and I am now choking from that admission, but true is true...) Anyway, good luck to the whole team against the Czechs today in Prague, I am off to the stat thread to see what is going on. Toodles.

I don't see anything that Diggins does that most WNBA players don't do. Whalen and McCarville come to mind, as they have NEVER committed a foul and make those faces of disbelief every time they are called for a foul. Complaining about the refs is certainly not isolated to Diggins.

That is one of the things that I like about Stewart and EDD, for example. They just get back to work and don't make all the faces and rant and rave like some other players do. Bonner is another one that just drives me crazy with her hysterics when she is called for a foul.

Reaction Score
I don't see anything that Diggins does that most WNBA players don't do. Whalen and McCarville come to mind, as they have NEVER committed a foul and make those faces of disbelief every time they are called for a foul. Complaining about the refs is certainly not isolated to Diggins.

That is one of the things that I like about Stewart and EDD, for example. They just get back to work and don't make all the faces and rant and rave like some other players do. Bonner is another one that just drives me crazy with her hysterics when she is called for a foul.

That seems to be a trend in all sports- whining to the officials after every.single.call. I wish the officials would call a personal foul for unsportsmanlike conduct the next time someone whines. I think that would put a stop to a lot of it.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score

ETT - I was speaking of Skylar's improved demeanor since her ND days, when she was the Princess of Pout. I was not speaking of her current behavior, except to say it was an improvement.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
ETT - I was speaking of Skylar's improved demeanor since her ND days, when she was the Princess of Pout. I was not speaking of her current behavior, except to say it was an improvement.

Understood and I agree with you. I am a big fan of Diggins and her college demeanor did not really bother me.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Understood and I agree with you. I am a big fan of Diggins and her college demeanor did not really bother me.

Thanks for the reply, but please realize that many on this board WERE bothered by her behavior in college. And no, I am not speaking of the losses to ND, but by her all around demeanor for her college days.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
JoePgh said:
Two comments:

1. I am one visitor-friendly UConn fan who does not mind ETT's enthusiasm for Griner. And I agree with him and others that the offense should flow through her, and she should shoot until the other team contorts its defense to stop her. I expect Tina to play the 4 next to her, and get a lot of points on putbacks.

2. I cannot imagine any criticism that can be made of Skylar Diggins's style, attitude, basketball approach, or personality that would not apply equally to Diana. Diana involved her teammates, but so did Skylar at Notre Dame.

Without trying to sound offensive please take a minute and read the boneyard rules.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
msf22b said:
I also cannot stand THE ND DIVA!

May iI respectfully take issue with the multitude of Diggins haters.

Usually, despite rabid approval of all things UConn, this generally is a pretty fair and knowledgable board.

To chastise Diggins for her charisma and over-the-top demonstrations
is to completely ignore a penetrating BB mind.
Who gets the max out of somewhat limited pure physical gifts.
An unyielding competitor.
A young woman who went back to the drawing board after a difficult first pro season
and found a way to rejigger her game and was hugely successful (that Stef can do the same),

Sure , she's not perfect: dribbles a little to much…fine on the Tulsa offense
Pouts a little when she's down, the perfect front runner
A streaky shooter who can be off.
Better at going for the steal on D than actually perfect man defense.

Nevertheless, she is a monster competitor, with the game on the line, you're confident with the ball in her hands

And she is going to have a wonderful pro (and yes) Olympic career.
She was a major contributor in several of the most painful Ct. losses in history
I still remember( perhaps the first loss), her darting behind screens at the top of the key
and no one could stop her, even though it seemed that the whole was unfolding in slow motion.

I think to lump her with Muffit's shenanigans is unfair.
Sure, her end of game theatrics at our expense were not in the best of taste

But, she earned it and we have been not exactly innocent of the same, (think Dee).

One man's ceiling is another man's floor...

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
01Neaggrad02 said:
If I were a rich man.. la da da da da da de.... If I were 6 inches taller and had basketball talent I would be a wealthy man.... The main thing is Muffet is not the National Coach... they tend to go with winners for that. Geno has won 7 national titles since Notre Dame won their one..... Not lets see what happens when we add some substance to that flame...

This thread has been a very interesting read I must say...

Shana Tova everyone!

Reaction Score
Two comments:

1. I am one visitor-friendly UConn fan who does not mind ETT's enthusiasm for Griner. And I agree with him and others that the offense should flow through her, and she should shoot until the other team contorts its defense to stop her. I expect Tina to play the 4 next to her, and get a lot of points on putbacks.

2. I cannot imagine any criticism that can be made of Skylar Diggins's style, attitude, basketball approach, or personality that would not apply equally to Diana. Diana involved her teammates, but so did Skylar at Notre Dame.
SHAME, SHAME, SHAME ON YOU! For eluding to Skylar (or any nd player) being anywhere near the quality of player of D!

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Thanks for the reply, but please realize that many on this board WERE bothered by her behavior in college. And no, I am not speaking of the losses to ND, but by her all around demeanor for her college days.

I liked her college days...she always lost to Baylor.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
... I cannot imagine any criticism that can be made of Skylar Diggins's style, attitude, basketball approach, or personality...
SHAME, SHAME, SHAME ON YOU! For eluding to Skylar...
Is that where Joe ran off to, this time??? Still one of our Boneyard's most elusive characters...
...Shana Tova everyone!
No, I'm pretty sure ND is NOT recruiting her. But I think I've heard her name mentioned at Hofstra.

Last edited:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Without trying to sound offensive please take a minute and read the boneyard rules.
I confess to being puzzled by this comment. As a result of that perplexity, I did in fact just re-read the BoneYard rules, including the section at the bottom entitled "Not Rules, But ...". That section contains admonitions to the effect that posters here should not expect other posters, particularly those who are enthusiastic UConn fans (as I consider myself to be), to be objective or even to try to be objective. And I don't. However, I try to be objective in my own posts, and I believe I have a right to comment when (IMHO) other posters are not applying the same yardstick when judging opposing players that they use in judging UConn players.

Thus my comparison of Diana and Skylar. No one, especially on this board, is required to judge one of those players by the same standards that they apply to the other. But I try to do that, and I cannot distinguish one from the other in "style, attitude, basketball approach, or personality", which were the dimensions of comparison cited in my original comment. I can certainly distinguish them in basketball talent and basketball accomplishment -- in those dimensions Diana is clearly and incomparably better than Skylar. But not in the other behavioral dimensions cited in my previous post.

Are you or other posters suggesting that greater basketball talent or achievement justifies boorish behavior that would not be acceptable in someone of lesser talent? I don't think you really want to endorse that proposition. Actually I don't think either player's behavior is boorish or unacceptable -- just hypercompetitive and "in your face" to basketball rivals (Diana to those in orange; Skylar to those in flag blue). And I think it is beneficial to the game to have some star players with those personality traits.

But perhaps I have not succeeded in identifying the transgression of Boneyard rules or etiquette that you wrote about.

Reaction Score
I confess to being puzzled by this comment. As a result of that perplexity, I did in fact just re-read the BoneYard rules, including the section at the bottom entitled "Not Rules, But ...". That section contains admonitions to the effect that posters here should not expect other posters, particularly those who are enthusiastic UConn fans (as I consider myself to be), to be objective or even to try to be objective. And I don't. However, I try to be objective in my own posts, and I believe I have a right to comment when (IMHO) other posters are not applying the same yardstick when judging opposing players that they use in judging UConn players.

Thus my comparison of Diana and Skylar. No one, especially on this board, is required to judge one of those players by the same standards that they apply to the other. But I try to do that, and I cannot distinguish one from the other in "style, attitude, basketball approach, or personality", which were the dimensions of comparison cited in my original comment. I can certainly distinguish them in basketball talent and basketball accomplishment -- in those dimensions Diana is clearly and incomparably better than Skylar. But not in the other behavioral dimensions cited in my previous post.

Are you or other posters suggesting that greater basketball talent or achievement justifies boorish behavior that would not be acceptable in someone of lesser talent? I don't think you really want to endorse that proposition. Actually I don't think either player's behavior is boorish or unacceptable -- just hypercompetitive and "in your face" to basketball rivals (Diana to those in orange; Skylar to those in flag blue). And I think it is beneficial to the game to have some star players with those personality traits.

But perhaps I have not succeeded in identifying the transgression of Boneyard rules or etiquette that you wrote about.
It was a tongue in cheek comment. All in fun.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

I have no issues with your posts and I'm sure JS or Biff would have spoken up if they did. I appreciate your courteous and measured response as well.

Reaction Score

Exactly my feeling about Bonner. She also missed shots and acted surprised!!! Consistently!!!

Reaction Score
What's the sense of having a rival if you can't dislike (hate,too strong?) them?

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
mhshuskies said:
It was a tongue in cheek comment. All in fun.

it was a passing comment on how some fans on this board would and have responded about the comparison of Diana to Diggins.

I did not imply that I found anything wrong with your post and although I can understand your strong reaction to my I post, it appears you took it completely the wrong way.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
RadyLady said:
it was a passing comment on how some fans on this board would and have responded about the comparison of Diana to Diggins.

I did not imply that I found anything wrong with your post and although I can understand your strong reaction to my I post, it appears you took it completely the wrong way.

This is actually supposed to be for Joe.

and I did preface the comment with "without trying to be offensive" because truly I wasn't

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom