Diggins, McBride and Dolson Cut | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Diggins, McBride and Dolson Cut

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is just my humble opinion, but I really think Sims showed she's a better team player. Diggins is a shoot first guard. They don't need any 2G's as they have Dee, Siemone, and even probably Angel can fill that roll. Additionally, both Bird and Whalen can score if/when needed.

For the true PG's, they have Bird and Whalen. Bird is getting older. They need the next generation of PG's, not the next generation of SG's.

I've just never cared for Diggins. She's talented for sure, but the prima donna attitude rubs me the wrong way. She seems to be more about "me" than about "team". I'm sure she knows it takes a team to win, but she plays a brand of more selfish basketball that I don't care for...
Diggins playing SG with as Sims as the PG led Tulsa in assists and broke the team's assist record.

I guess it's between Dupree and Lavender for the final spot.

Reaction Score
I also cannot stand THE ND DIVA! I put her with Candace "watch me dunk" Parker! There's not enough TV cameras to go around for those 2.
With all the great players in the USA I can load the team with superstars and not have those 2 even sit in the arena!
I agree with the posters above that J. Lavender will be cut when B. Griner is feeling in tip top condition! C. Dupree is a much more versatile player than Lavender.
After 2016 Bird, DT, Whalen, & Augustus will leave USA BB with an unbelievable international record. Then Sims, Robinson, Jefferson, and maybe January will be the next PG's for the USA.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I can hardly wait to see how Geno uses BG. Will he be happy with her getting 8 to 10 shots a game like has been the case so far in the WNBA or will he go to her until the opponents prove that they can stop her?

It seemed like a good amount of shots for her (As she made most of them) and those shots can make all the difference offensively with this USA team. DT is great at feeding her. I don't think they really need more shots than that from her. And obviously nobody knows better than you that what she brings to the defensive end is unmatched.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
National Champions and you're still complaining about her number of shots. Even after Phx won the last game without her.

11 other "all-americans" on the National team but BG should get ALL THE SHOTS... glad Geno is the coach!

There was no complaint there. Just wondering how Geno's use of BG may differ from what we've seen throughout BG's career.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
There was no complaint there. Just wondering how Geno's use of BG may differ from what we've seen throughout BG's career.
college BG would have been a better project for Geno... but in the W/Olympics there's more options

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I suspect Geno will feed BG plenty - he likes working inside out and in these three games has made a point of feeding Tina down low at the start of the second halves.
I know as a Uconn fan I should be fully behind Tina, but I actually don't think she has been playing particularly well on this USA team both offensively and defensively.
No surprises on the cuts. I think the China game was what the committee was looking for from Sims and she finally showed it. I doubt we see her get much playing time, but the experience is going to be great for her.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
You have a roster of unselfish guards who can make things happen. Diggins imo watching her at Harbor Yard dribbled to much. You need good ball movement and I didnt see it. Hey Diana Sue and Lindsey are much better. Sims or Diggins is what I think it came down to and Sims won out for what ever reasons. McBride had to many talented players a head of her too. They will both be on future teams but right now Team USA is loaded.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
This ought to stir the pot a little. I feel that if Muffet is the National Coach, then Diggins and McBride make the team. Just a thought....

Let the flaming begin...

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
This ought to stir the pot a little. I feel that if Muffet is the National Coach, then Diggins and McBride make the team. Just a thought....

Let the flaming begin...

I don't think there is any question that a history with the coach has an impact on a player's chances of making the team. If a coach knows and trusts the players then that will be part of the decision, even if subconsciously.

If Kim were the coach maybe BG would be the master of ceremonies in a gay pride parade somewhere instead of playing for her.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score

Let the flaming begin...

If a bullfrog had wings, he wouldn't bump his ass every time he jumped.

(You forgot that National Coach McGraw would replace Griner with Achonwa.)

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
college BG would have been a better project for Geno... but in the W/Olympics there's more options

I am very excited about seeing BG on the floor DT and Maya. Talk about a triple threat!! And with BG getting coached by Geno she is going to come back next season as a much smarter player. What an opportunity this is for Griner and I hope she takes full advantage of it. This is part of her progression in reaching her full potential.

Reaction Score

Let the flaming begin...

There is no way McBride makes the team. She's a great player but she doesn't fill a need for this team.

Reaction Score
It was between Skylar and Odyssey for the PG slot, and it looked like Skylar performed better as an SG and Odyssey better as a PG...especially as time wore on. That pretty much sealed the PG slot that we expected to be open. I think the SG slot required one of the returning guards to stumble badly, and arguably an injury was going to be the only way that was going to happen. Perhaps if Muffet were coaching, she could've gotten Skylar to be more of a distributor for the Senior team...we'll never know. Both Kayla and Skylar have positioned themselves for the future. It will be interesting to see how that competition comes out.

You do have to wonder how much the fact that Brittany is available affected the PG decision...you'd expect that it would weigh in Odyssey's favor, as well, with such a limited amount of practice time. That underlying familiarity will be very important given the relative inexperience of both players.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
If you take away all hypotheticals, you effectively end 90% of all sports discussions...

Just think how boring this board would be without speculation and conjecture. Then we would be forced to argue on the facts, alone, and nobody wants to see that.

Last edited:
G

genosguy

I'd thought Diggins might get the edge over Sims, but McBride no surprise. Not too surprised by Dolson either.
I agree and disagree--. I could make a case for each of the 3, but I don't have Doug or Genos visions.
As much as I disliked Chest Thumping, self promoting Diggins she is an excellent ball handler, great passer, decent (sometimes hot) shooter. Sims (notice please only one M) is a decent ball handler and a hot head. Steff--Her energy, her physical size, her positive attitude--WOW, but fluidly mobile she isn't. At Uconn she was ten times more of a factor than she was credited with--maybe next olympics--I hope. Stewie, or Sims (my choice Sims) next.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I agree and disagree--. I could make a case for each of the 3, but I don't have Doug or Genos visions.
As much as I disliked Chest Thumping, self promoting Diggins she is an excellent ball handler, great passer, decent (sometimes hot) shooter. Sims (notice please only one M) is a decent ball handler and a hot head. Steff--Her energy, her physical size, her positive attitude--WOW, but fluidly mobile she isn't. At Uconn she was ten times more of a factor than she was credited with--maybe next olympics--I hope. Stewie, or Sims (my choice Sims) next.

LOL...based on that description I am surprised she would make they YMCA team.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Of course for Muffet to be the coach, she would first have to agree to work for USA basketball, something she has never done I believe.
And I don't think the committee would actually have let her take both Diggins and McBride. I am not saying that coaches do not have some influence in the selection process, but USA coaches come and go, the committee and the players stay. USA demands commitment and loyalty from its players and that is a two way street. I think the situation with Cappy is an example when she decided Fashion was more important than the team that one year. And I sort of wonder about Parker - there was a suggestion I read somewhere that the operation she had was elective as to when she had it done and her Euro club demanded that she have it immediately. I don't blame Cappy - basketball is a ten year career and following up on a passion for the rest of your life is a very valid choice. Same for Parker - she has a window in which she can earn top dollar for her family's future and that is equally valid (if in fact true.)
And ... I think coach K said something about 'winning with USA basketball' looks good on your resume, losing with USA basketball is a nightmare for a coach. I don't think any national team coach has ever purposefully chosen an inferior player for personal reason.

Reaction Score
Just think how boring this board would be without speculation and conjecture. Then we would be forced to argue on the facts, alone, and nobody wants to see that.

The horror, the horror!!!!!! Actually having to argue on facts alone? God forbid it...:eek::D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom