Diggins, McBride and Dolson Cut | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Diggins, McBride and Dolson Cut

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamcbs

Buckeye Guest
Reaction Score
There was no complaint there. Just wondering how Geno's use of BG may differ from what we've seen throughout BG's career.
You saw how different Sandy Brondello used her, BG's offensive skill level has increased and as it continues to increase she will be able to do more things and take on a bigger offensive load. With Team USA Offense isn't an issue so they don't need much "O" from BG. The Mercury certainly didn't.

Reaction Score
I suspect Geno will feed BG plenty - he likes working inside out and in these three games has made a point of feeding Tina down low at the start of the second halves.
I know as a Uconn fan I should be fully behind Tina, but I actually don't think she has been playing particularly well on this USA team both offensively and defensively.
No surprises on the cuts. I think the China game was what the committee was looking for from Sims and she finally showed it. I doubt we see her get much playing time, but the experience is going to be great for her.

all these posts about Griner and scoring. If she gets 8 or 10 pts a game and clogs up the middle ( our biggest problem in last 2 games) as only she can do, we will have zero problem.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
all these posts about Griner and scoring. If she gets 8 or 10 pts a game and clogs up the middle ( our biggest problem in last 2 games) as only she can do, we will have zero problem.
Agree that defense will be the biggest contribution, but she is a very good offensive option who is very hard to stop. She has good hands and is willing to pass back out and Geno does like the ball to move in and out on offense. And while most people try to defend Tina one on one, BG usually draws a double which opens both wing players and rebounders to crash the boards should she miss.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
National Champions and you're still complaining about her number of shots. Even after Phx won the last game without her.

11 other "all-americans" on the National team but BG should get ALL THE SHOTS... glad Geno is the coach!
I don't know, running something until an opponent can stop it is a tried and true approach to basketball. This isn't rec ball where you want to get all the girls the same number of minutes. Why wouldn't Geno go to BG if he has a mismatch?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
You saw how different Sandy Brondello used her, BG's offensive skill level has increased and as it continues to increase she will be able to do more things and take on a bigger offensive load. With Team USA Offense isn't an issue so they don't need much "O" from BG. The Mercury certainly didn't.

Brondello was brilliant this season. She knew exactly how to properly balance out the Mercury attack.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I don't know, running something until an opponent can stop it is a tried and true approach to basketball. This isn't rec ball where you want to get all the girls the same number of minutes. Why wouldn't Geno go to BG if he has a mismatch?

This may be the biggest test of the "all we care about is winning" attitude of these players. I suspect that BG will dominate and that she will get the lion's share of the shots. If not, and we have players going a combined 5 - 30 taking outside shots, then I would have to question the attitude of the team.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
This may be the biggest test of the "all we care about is winning" attitude of these players. I suspect that BG will dominate and that she will get the lion's share of the shots. If not, and we have players going a combined 5 - 30 taking outside shots, then I would have to question the attitude of the team.

ETT - with all due respect, a team with DT, CD and MM does not need to give the lion's share of its shots to BG. She will get her share I am sure, but this is a team, not the BG tour....and for the stats of 5-30, everyone had an off day. It happens. And I truly hope that BG is okay and has healed well from her injuries. I just think balance is the key here, really.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
ETT - with all due respect, a team with DT, CD and MM does not need to give the lion's share of its shots to BG. She will get her share I am sure, but this is a team, not the BG tour....and for the stats of 5-30, everyone had an off day. It happens. And I truly hope that BG is okay and has healed well from her injuries. I just think balance is the key here, really.

It is not true that everybody had an off day. Check the box score.
Angel 4-7
Charles 5-10
Dupree 3-3
Nneka 3-4
Augustus 3-3

Our post players went a combined 14-20. We went a combined 3-14 from three point range. We shot too many long range shots and didn't get the ball to our post players enough.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Everyone is speaking as if BG is definitely on the team. All I can find on the USA basketball
site is " . . . Griner, who is expected to join the team on September 24 . . . ".

The expectation is encouraging, but I will feel better when she actually joins the team in Europe
and is pronounced good to go.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Everyone is speaking as if BG is definitely on the team. All I can find on the USA basketball
site is " . . . Griner, who is expected to join the team on September 24 . . . ".

The expectation is encouraging, but I will feel better when she actually joins the team in Europe
and is pronounced good to go.

It doesn't seem to me that USA Basketball would announce that if they hadn't confirmed that she would be going. But I guess she could miss her flight...or maybe travel and then not make the team. But I am sure it would be worth it to her. Who doesn't want a free trip to Istanbul?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
The Boneyard = All Brittney All The Time :)

Everybody loves BG!!! :p

Is there any doubt that she will be the most talked about player at the WCs? The fans who have never seen her play are in for a real treat.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Everybody loves BG!!! :p

Is there any doubt that she will be the most talked about player at the WCs? The fans who have never seen her play are in for a real treat.
Yes, because Angel McCoughtry is too boring to watch, Diana Taurasi is too old, Nneka Ogwumike is too young, Breanna Stewart is just a college kid, and Maya Moore, well, who wants to see her score 50 points again?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Yes, because Angel McCoughtry is too boring to watch, Diana Taurasi is too old, Nneka Ogwumike is too young, Breanna Stewart is just a college kid, and Maya Moore, well, who wants to see her score 50 points again?

See, even you agree that BG is more fun to watch. ;)

I bet the only two people any happier than I am that BG will be in Turkey are BG and Geno.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

I bet the only two people any happier than I am that BG will be in Turkey are BG and Geno.
While I admire your enthusiasm for all things Brittany and respect your loyalty as a fan, constantly promoting her on a UConn site is not a good way to earn her fans here.

Reaction Score
It might be better if she didn't play. Eye injuries are serious business. Maybe she should take some time off and make sure she heals up correctly. What if someone elbows her in the eye again?

Reaction Score
It might be better if she didn't play. Eye injuries are serious business. Maybe she should take some time off and make sure she heals up correctly. What if someone elbows her in the eye again?
Goggles!

JS

Reaction Score

ETT, you're going to have to get off this mode of "all BG all the time."

Your enthusiasm for her is beyond well known. Many here are with you on that, and others are not quite so ready to anoint her, at this stage of her development, as the biggest game changer in sight.

What is inarguable, however, is that the sheer volume of your BG-touting posts has crossed the line into an annoyance even to the most visitor-friendly UConn fans.

Time to dial it back, ETT. Or take it to the Baylor board if you can't wait to comment, in an appropriately limited number of posts, on her actual international play.

Reaction Score
Goggles!
Goggles are the obvious accessory given her relative stature compared to the great Kareem Abudul Jabbar. She has had some lessons from him on the sky hook, which is the most unblock-able shot in basketball history!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
In all fairness, BG didn't even get the lion's share of the shots on her own team (Phx) and that only featured one Olympian on it - Diana. In fact, on her own team, Griner was 3rd in shots taken, and also 3rd in FG%.

Now on a team of Olympians you think it's going to be all about BG? I get that you are enthused, but it's beginning to border on the ridiculous. I would not be surprised if Griner doesn't even start for Team USA. And you are talking about her dominating the world and being the toast of Istanbul? And if I'm understanding you correctly - IF BG does not get the lion's share of the shots, then the team does not care about winning? You really believe that? For real??

Last edited:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I also cannot stand THE ND DIVA!

May iI respectfully take issue with the multitude of Diggins haters.

Usually, despite rabid approval of all things UConn, this generally is a pretty fair and knowledgable board.

To chastise Diggins for her charisma and over-the-top demonstrations
is to completely ignore a penetrating BB mind.
Who gets the max out of somewhat limited pure physical gifts.
An unyielding competitor.
A young woman who went back to the drawing board after a difficult first pro season
and found a way to rejigger her game and was hugely successful (that Stef can do the same),

Sure , she's not perfect: dribbles a little to much…fine on the Tulsa offense
Pouts a little when she's down, the perfect front runner
A streaky shooter who can be off.
Better at going for the steal on D than actually perfect man defense.

Nevertheless, she is a monster competitor, with the game on the line, you're confident with the ball in her hands

And she is going to have a wonderful pro (and yes) Olympic career.
She was a major contributor in several of the most painful Ct. losses in history
I still remember( perhaps the first loss), her darting behind screens at the top of the key
and no one could stop her, even though it seemed that the whole was unfolding in slow motion.

I think to lump her with Muffit's shenanigans is unfair.
Sure, her end of game theatrics at our expense were not in the best of taste

But, she earned it and we have been not exactly innocent of the same, (think Dee).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom