Diamond Stone (Committed to Maryland) | Page 61 | The Boneyard

Diamond Stone (Committed to Maryland)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You never know in recruiting that's for sure. But the dried up info and the late Duke run seem to have us on the outside looking in. If he wanted to be a Husky it would have been done. Maybe he's just making sure Okafor is gone, who knows but this just can't be good!

what "late Duke run"? He never even visited them.

Reaction Score
There's no doubt its used against recruits - I don't think they think of it themselves but I think other coaches bring it up and even guardians/parents who want the best for their kid bring it up. He is giving off mixed signals about his future - that leaves a sour taste sometimes.

But I for one think he's going to be in the NBA eventually.

I don't think he goes to the NBA unless he's unhappy with the way the school/athletic department is being run. He's definitely not leaving while his daughter is still in school, and I think he's sticking around as long as UConn keeps up their end of the bargain.

Reaction Score
KO has class and dignity. He is doing the whole "never say never thing" because he doesn't want to look like a jerk if he ever leaves. However, there is no indication when he expounds on the subject that he is looking to go to the NBA. The guy says, "I love UCONN", "UCONN is my home", "UCONN is where I want to be" and makes other strong statements about his passion for UCONN in every interview. All sought after coaches reserve the right to change their mind at some point, even Coach K did it for many, many years. Making an issue of it is ridiculous.

KO isn't leaving while JC is still on campus and probably not while he's still breathing. It is an honor thing. KO wouldn't have a chance to be an NBA head coach right now if JC didn't fast track him to head coach of a blue blood program.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
When near-septuagenarians are successfully recruiting players, Kevin Ollie's status is not a viable excuse.

I don't think anyone thinks he's leaving in the near-term.

Reaction Score
When near-septuagenarians are successfully recruiting players, Kevin Ollie's status is not a viable excuse.

I don't think anyone thinks he's leaving in the near-term.

Exactly. And Calipari is mentioned in open NBA positions every off-season and that doesn't stop him from getting these kids to yes. Everything is an excuse from the contract to NBA talk to the conference. He, like Calhoun, isn't willing to play the game needed to land these kids. Anyone that still doesn't think we are losing kids because of dirty recruiting are hopelessly delusional. I will say that this specific case might not involve dirt but many, if not most, of our recruiting misses do.

Reaction Score
You never know in recruiting that's for sure. But the dried up info and the late Duke run seem to have us on the outside looking in. If he wanted to be a Husky it would have been done. Maybe he's just making sure Okafor is gone, who knows but this just can't be good!

After watching Amida against Duke/Okafor it's got to be obvious to NBA scouts that he's not NBA ready.

With Kaminsky leaving Wisconsin, and the opening that gives in the frontcourt, have to feel that Wisconsin can offer a guaranteed starting position while UConn can't. For a one and done, gotta believe that's important.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
After watching Amida against Duke/Okafor it's got to be obvious to NBA scouts that he's not NBA ready.

With Kaminsky leaving Wisconsin, and the opening that gives in the frontcourt, have to feel that Wisconsin can offer a guaranteed starting position while UConn can't. For a one and done, gotta believe that's important.
Why? I'd look at that performance and think, okay I'm starting.

Reaction Score
Why? I'd look at that performance and think, okay I'm starting.

Correct response to yet another excuse. Kids commit to Duke and Kentucky even though they already have talented kids at their position. Why would kids be afraid of competing against Brimah but not the hyped players at Kentucky?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure Diamond Stone is starting wherever he goes, and I'm pretty sure every school he's considering has made that clear to him at this point, including us. I don't care what our policy is, I have a hard time believing KO stopped by to see him again recently just to tell him he can come here and try to earn a starting spot.

Reaction Score
Paesano said:
Correct response to yet another excuse. Kids commit to Duke and Kentucky even though they already have talented kids at their position. Why would kids be afraid of competing against Brimah but not the hyped players at Kentucky?

Who did Kentucky have backing up the Harrisons and Young last year at the 1-3 spots when we beat them? Or for that matter, what was their depth in 2011 when we beat them then? This year is an anomaly because 3 guys returned unexpectedly - maybe 4 if you count Poythress, but certainly the Harrisons and WCS were expected to be gone, and they only figured to go 7 deep after they finished their recruiting, not 10. Duke also had no bench points against us this year (although it was an off day for Suilamon, so that's a bit of an anamoly too) and a guy like Jeter signed with Okafor at his position because he knows Okafor won't be there.

I don't think anyone could make conclusions on Brimah based on the Duke game - he barely played. But he doesn't look ready to jump, and if Stone thinks he'll play 35 at Wisky and 25 at UConn, it could affect his thinking. Hopefully not - hopefully he'll see a team without much post scoring and think he'll demand 30 or more, but if not, it won't be the first time a recruit went where there were fewer players at his position. It isn't being afraid of competition, it's trying to find the best situation. But one of our selling points to counter that is likely that Brimah is an NBA level shot blocker who he could compete against every day in practice and get better to prepare for the next level, while still earning significant minutes in game action. Whether that resonates with him enough, who knows.

Reaction Score
amoeba is not ready for anything beyond mundane

he could not carry rod sellers knee brace

he disappears vs reel playa one on eins

his blocks are on lil dudes from weak side

he is only 6-9 on dayz of ecstasy with always elongated arms

he has know moves

free toss fourteen out of sixteen very impressive even vs stiffs but he really gets few free flip chances vs reel playas instead of cop state gunners

his place is reserved in sled hall of fame for trois mark play vs saint guiseppe of quakertown to save world title or start world title or whatever it was

did yo see UTX bigs swallow him up

did yo see his father panic village stint vs dooker by k

Reaction Score

he has know moves

free toss fourteen out of sixteen very impressive even vs stiffs but he really gets few free flip chances vs reel playas instead of cop state gunners

his place is reserved in sled hall of fame for trois mark play vs saint guiseppe of quakertown to save world title or start world title or whatever it was

So you spoke English for only one post?

Reaction Score
I feel sorry for your family

he has know moves

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure Diamond Stone is starting wherever he goes, and I'm pretty sure every school he's considering has made that clear to him at this point, including us. I don't care what our policy is, I have a hard time believing KO stopped by to see him again recently just to tell him he can come here and try to earn a starting spot.

From everything I know about KO, there's a 0% chance he would do that. Based on nothing can we conclude that Stone is going to be a better player than Brimah in November of 2015.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
From everything I know about KO, there's a 0% chance he would do that. Based on nothing can we conclude that Stone is going to be a better player than Brimah in November of 2015.
Yes, and I'm sure he went to Las Vegas to see Tyler Dorsey after the Duke game just to tell him that we have a scholarship for him if wants to compete for playing time, too.

We don't need to conclude that Stone will be a better player than Brimah in November 2015 in order to make clear to him that he has a starting spot here if he wants it. If they are both that good, they can both start.

Reaction Score
Yes, and I'm sure he went to Las Vegas to see Tyler Dorsey after the Duke game just to tell him that we have a scholarship for him if wants to compete for playing time, too.

We don't need to conclude that Stone will be a better player than Brimah in November 2015 in order to make clear to him that he has a starting spot here if he wants it. If they are both that good, they can both start.

So you think Ollie just hands out starting positions like they're breath mints? I understand your point - Ollie isn't recruiting players that he doesn't think will be major contributors their freshman year - but I just can't see him guaranteeing anything.

We don't know that Stone or Brimah can play the four, particularly when there is a rapidly improving player on the roster in Facey who appears perfectly suited for the four position. Maybe we're just arguing semantics - Stone certainly will have a great chance to come in here and play big minutes right away, but it will be just that, an opportunity.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
So you think Ollie just hands out starting positions like they're breath mints? I understand your point - Ollie isn't recruiting players that he doesn't think will be major contributors their freshman year - but I just can't see him guaranteeing anything.

We don't know that Stone or Brimah can play the four, particularly when there is a rapidly improving player on the roster in Facey who appears perfectly suited for the four position. Maybe we're just arguing semantics - Stone certainly will have a great chance to come in here and play big minutes right away, but it will be just that, an opportunity.
Yes, I think it's probably semantics at this point. I don't think he's guaranteeing anything, and certainly not handing out starting positions. But with a couple top remaining targets who fill major needs for us, like Stone and Dorsey, I'm guessing he's made it pretty darned clear that they will have all the opportunity in the world to start here immediately. I think he's sick of losing out on recruits after so many reportedly close calls, and I don't think he's very sanguine about what we have in the cupboard for next season.

And I don't care how much Facey improves or Brimah continues to develop offensively or as a shot blocker: if Brimah doesn't start grabbing significantly more rebounds KO is not going to accept that. You could hear it even in his comments immediately following the CCSU game yesterday--he is not happy with Amidah's apparent allergy to rebounding.

Reaction Score
Yes, I think it's probably semantics at this point. I don't think he's guaranteeing anything, and certainly not handing out starting positions. But with a couple top remaining targets who fill major needs for us, like Stone and Dorsey, I'm guessing he's made it pretty darned clear that they will have all the opportunity in the world to start here immediately. I think he's sick of losing out on recruits after so many reportedly close calls, and I don't think he's very sanguine about what we have in the cupboard for next season.

And I don't care how much Facey improves or Brimah continues to develop offensively or as a shot blocker: if Brimah doesn't start grabbing significantly more rebounds KO is not going to accept that. You could hear it even in his comments immediately following the CCSU game yesterday--he is not happy with Amidah's apparent allergy to rebounding.

OK, I can agree with most of that. I'm probably higher on our prospects next season than you are, especially in the front court, but there's no doubt I would feel much, much better about our team depth and overall talent level with a couple of recruits like Stone and Dorsey in the fold. But really, point guard - or trying to cobble together enough to replace, say, 80% of what Boat gave us - will be our biggest challenge, IMO.

Reaction Score
I think there's been this misnomer over the years that UConn doesn't promise anything to recruits. We may not tell a recruit that you are going to start, but we've definitely told guys that they would play right away. Case in point, when Khalid committed, "They need a lead guard, and I felt, and Coach [Jim] Calhoun felt, I can come in right away and do my thing,'' El-Amin said. ``And that's what I was looking for. He made me feel very comfortable with the program. . . . I'll have a chance to come in and play big minutes and show everybody I am one of the best guards in the nation.''

http://articles.courant.com/1997-04-26/sports/9704260380_1_el-amin-khalid-el-amin-uconn

If KO's pitch to Dorsey and Stone does not contain the idea that they will play right away, then we need someone to help with recruiting. Altruism and college basketball don't exactly mix.

C

Chief00

The last thing I am concerned about is does the number 1 or 2 player in the country start for us. Do the math! Of course he does as he would anywhere with 1 or 2 possible exceptions.

Reaction Score
I cant even believe this is a real argument. Stone is a top 5 player in his entire hs class. he is 6'10", 250lbs; he has the ability to score in a variety of ways, can play solid defense and knows how to rebound. Where ever he goes and who ever they have, he is going to get 20 minutes a game, minimum. You don't bring top ten guys in (DD is the rare exception) to sit on the bench-gary parrish did a report on it and top 10 kids are the closest thing to an NBA lock you will find. KO probably isnt telling him that 35 minutes a night are a lock, but they both know that on talent alone Stone is not going to sit on the bench. I am sure that KO made it clear that he will play as many minutes as he can, but that time is contingent on effort and defense. Also, I do not see how Brimah can play C in the NBA. We all know he is closer to 6'9" than he is to 7" and 6'9" is a SF at that level. While I am sure Brimah will continue to work on his post moves and playing with his back to the basket, I think next year, whether Stone comes here or not, we see Brimah moving further away from the basket on offense. If stone comes, he starts at the 5 with Brimah at the four and Hamilton, Purvis and Adams filling out the starting 5, which, if the current development continues, will have to be one of the best starting lineups in the country. Frankly, if Stone comes, I think we are a top 10 lock preseason. Boat will be difficult to replace obviously, but Stone/Brimah/Facey playing 74-80 minutes at the 4-5 (left a few open for small lineups) with a sophomore Hamilton at the 3 with breaks from a 6'5" senior and then some combination of Purvis, Adams, Samuel and Cassell. That's a very good squad.

Short Version-If Stone doesn't come here, I think it has much more to do with conference affiliation and being close to home/his home town team than it is he is worried he is going to come here and not play. His size alone make him a valuable asset and when you consider his talent, he will play.

AstarIsBorn31

Underrated Poster
Reaction Score
Atleast crystal ball predictions lean our way...thats all I can ask for at this point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom