Diamond Deshields transferring from UNC | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Diamond Deshields transferring from UNC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
She cannot play in the "W" until such time as her entering class graduates from college. Ex: CP3 left for the WNBA after 3 seasons of play because she red-shirted one year
And she had her degree. Also, if you complete you degree in three years you can leave ahead of your class.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
WOW!!!!!

Talk about a shocker!

Interesting that one comment said she came back from the tournament and packed up. If true, something was going on for a while.

Guess we'll have to wait to see what happens. But I don't see her transferring to UCONN.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
And she had her degree. Also, if you complete you degree in three years you can leave ahead of your class.

Interesting -

I also found this on the W site:

THE WNBA VICE PRESIDENT OF PLAYER PERSONNEL ANSWERS YOUR QUESTIONS
Hoops 101: Reneé Brown

Can female high school and college athletes leave school early and enter the WNBA Draft? Take care.
Renee, E. Palo Alto, CA

Brown: No, the WNBA has eligibility requirements for all prospects which require that any woman (regardless of nationality) may sign a WNBA player contract provided that she meets one of the following:

- Is at least 22 years old during the calendar year of the applicable season
- Has completed her intercollegiate basketball eligibility
- Has graduated from a four-year college or university
- Or has played at least two seasons for another professional basketball league

So she could play two seasons overseas and then go to the WNBA. News to me. If she went this route, she could be eligible for the Draft in 2016 and play in the W that summer, a year earlier than if she did the usual 4 years in school.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Would Geno accept her transfer? I think the best answer is the example of Brittany Hunter, who transferred to UCONN after being very unhappy at DUKE. Geno accepted her transfer even though there was a good chance she would not be able to play, much less at the high level she was capable of when she was the #1 recruit coming out of her senior year at High School. Here is her perspective on that situation:

http://blogs.courant.com/uconn_womens_basketball/2011/01/former-uconn-player-brittany-h.html

While she was never the player she once was, at UCONN she inspirational in her efforts. Because of her injuries, Geno would rarely play her more than 10 minutes a game.

If she does want to come to UCONN, she certainly should know by now what Geno's expectations are.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
All it does for me is underline the Gestalt of UCONN...the team is more than the sum of its parts. How neat it is to be a fan of UWBB.

IAC, I hope she lands in a spot that develops her considerable talent. She is fun to watch.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
They don't get to pick.

The school can refuse to release her if they want. KSU is just refusing to let a kid go outright. She couldn't transfer for a year unless she paid her own way.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Because it's not a fit

If that was the case, why would he have recruited her so hard in the first place? It's not like he didn't know who she was.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
Thanks for the assistance on Sydney Moss' name. Was pretty sure the player played for a Florida team.

Her situation is an excellent example of how difficult a school can make it for a student to transfer - if they so choose.

Re: her possibly transferring to UConn - I want her if Geno wants her. She's a special talent and it would be exciting to watch her development within his system.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Am I correct in my understanding that UNC has to release her from her LOI before she can talk to another school??? Is the rule that you have to sit out 2 years if you transfer within your conference??

I still think it's one year, no? But you can't attend another school on a scholarship (UNC would have her ship for that year).

Reaction Score
The school can refuse to release her if they want. KSU is just refusing to let a kid go outright. She couldn't transfer for a year unless she paid her own way.

or they can restrict which school she goes to

Reaction Score
Look what this girl is potentially giving up. A chance for a National Championship. A change for National Player of the Year (after Stewie leaves). A chance to plays on the Olympic team ( if the powers that be are still around when her time would come). For what? A few dollars or euros? This doesn't add up. Could it be something even deeper??

Her father made close to 30 million dollars playing Baseball I doubt money is a factor!

Reaction Score
Here is DD's last post on her Facebook page. It was entered 4/11

"Life Is Too Short"
What's the purpose of crying over spilled milk? That's a proverb a lot of us grew up hearing from loved ones, but it has so much truth behind it. At times, we forget the beauty of life because we are so consumed with things that are non factors when it comes to our happiness! Ecclesiastes 8:15 states "So I recommend having fun, because there is nothing better for people in thisworld than to eat, drink, and enjoy life.That way they will experience some happiness along with all the hard work God gives them under the sun." We just must understand as believers that there's a right and a wrong way to have fun; and just because you are a Christian doesn't mean we can't enjoy life and have fun! So today I just want to encourage you to enjoy the fruits of your labor and enjoy this day that God Almighty has blessed us with, because life is too short not to.

Food for thought: Place nothing but positive happy people that are full of joy around you and see how your day turns out! Blessings on you, walk in God's favor through obedience!

Draw your own conclusions.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Here is DD's last post on her Facebook page. It was entered 4/11

"Life Is Too Short"
What's the purpose of crying over spilled milk? That's a proverb a lot of us grew up hearing from loved ones, but it has so much truth behind it. At times, we forget the beauty of life because we are so consumed with things that are non factors when it comes to our happiness! Ecclesiastes 8:15 states "So I recommend having fun, because there is nothing better for people in thisworld than to eat, drink, and enjoy life.That way they will experience some happiness along with all the hard work God gives them under the sun." We just must understand as believers that there's a right and a wrong way to have fun; and just because you are a Christian doesn't mean we can't enjoy life and have fun! So today I just want to encourage you to enjoy the fruits of your labor and enjoy this day that God Almighty has blessed us with, because life is too short not to.

Food for thought: Place nothing but positive happy people that are full of joy around you and see how your day turns out! Blessings on you, walk in God's favor through obedience!

Draw your own conclusions.

The only thing I get from that is she might join the Peace Corps.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
And that is very rare. And not very smart. Bad PR and bad morally (IMO)
I agree but it does still remain leverage that has been used. I believe Rene Portland used it at PSU back in the day.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
If that was the case, why would he have recruited her so hard in the first place? It's not like he didn't know who she was.

Remember the crazy recruiting saga of Gillian Goring, a 6-7 center from Waterloo, Iowa? She was coming here for the longest time and then things changed . Goring declared for Connecticut but was unable to get past the NCAA Clearinghouse for academic standards. She was going to a prep school to get ready and Geno stopped recruiting her. She was a #1 Post Player and he stopped. He could have waited for her to get the grades up but he did not. I remember on one of his shows he was questioned about it and he flatly stated she would not be coming. Things CAN and do change during the process and after the process. We recruited Ariel Massengale pretty hard too but when the time came to offer her we didn't do it. And she wanted to come here. Just because we recruit a kid doesn't mean that interest continues indefinitely.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
13564622-puzzled-confused-lost-signpost-shows-puzzling-problem.jpg

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Ok, I'll say it if it hasn't been yet. I'd take DD to UConn in a heartbeat. A nanosecond. In some other infinitesimally small period of time. She's talented as all get out and would have two years of eligibility after Stewie graduates.

Last edited by a moderator:

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I'd take her too. I highly doubt she comes to UConn, but if she did, it would be huge.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Ok, I'll say it if it hasn't been yet. I'd take DD to UConn in a heartbeat. A nanosecond. In some other infinitesimally small period of time. She's talented as all get out and would have two years of eligibility after Stewie graduates. Geno doesn't tolerate drama, but he'd break her down and build her back up once she had nothing left.
Geno has, also, spoken of the importance of team chemistry. He would want clear indications that bringing her in would not be disruptive of the team. Remember he places great importance on the interaction of recruits with current players who will be their teammates.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well, the thread title says "transferring" so someone at UNC must know, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom