Diamond Deshields transferring from UNC | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Diamond Deshields transferring from UNC

Status
Not open for further replies.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
Is there any rule that she has to finish school at all ? If not I say make the jump to the WNBA
as an undrafted free agent.

The WNBA has a restriction that prevents it.

Re: NC's ability to restrict where DD goes - there was a pretty good player a couple of years ago that ended up at either a D2 or D3 school because of the restrictions placed on her transfer by the place she was leaving. Dang I wish my memory didn't stink.

Reaction Score
Then why was Geno recruiting her up to the end?

(shrug) All recruiting is a risk, in the sense that you're speculating whether any given player will work in your system. If the player is really good, the potential return can be huge, so you're willing to take bigger risks.

But now Geno has had a year to see how she plays in a collegiate setting, and perhaps he has enough data by now to know whether he'd actually want her or not.

Last edited by a moderator:

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
Then why was Geno recruiting her up to the end?

I was referring to comments and things happening post-recruiting that I believe would indicate to Geno that she wasn't right for UConn. But that's just my opinion.

As for Geno's attempt to recruit Diamond DeShields "up to the end," wouldn't you agree that he doesn't always recruit young women who are right for UConn? Just in the last few years, haven't several left and transferred to other schools?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
attachment.php

Reaction Score

Re: NC's ability to restrict where DD goes - there was a pretty good player a couple of years ago that ended up at either a D2 or D3 school because of the restrictions placed on her transfer by the place she was leaving. Dang I wish my memory didn't stink.

Sydney Moss?

Reaction Score

Sydney Moss of Florida. Ended up at D3 Thomas More (KY), which lost in the D3 final 4 after Moss was hurt in the first half of their game.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
She was UConn bound from everything I heard then chose UNC. Now after encouraging other girls to come to UNC she leaves. Tuff to figure out. This wasnt something that just happened because of Wilsons decision. This was something that was leaked a few days ago. So I have to think it wasn't about Wilson. Well gotta wonder if UConn is back on her list again and what if any other teams are too???? I guess we wait and see.

Reaction Score
"I do not know or understand why Diamond DeShields has decided to leave The University of North Carolina,"

That's a very strange statement coming as it did from the head coach. Did DD just pack up and leave without talking with anyone connected to the team?

At the very least it does not seem like she spoke to Hatchell.

Reaction Score
I was referring to comments and things happening post-recruiting that I believe would indicate to Geno that she wasn't right for UConn. But that's just my opinion.

As for Geno's attempt to recruit Diamond DeShields "up to the end," wouldn't you agree that he doesn't always recruit young women who are right for UConn? Just in the last few years, haven't several left and transferred to other schools?

Look. I understand the Ms DeShields would be coming with a lot of baggage at this point but I can't imagine Geno turning her away if she asked to come to UCONN.
I just hope the reason for her leaving is not some horrible circumstance like Jannah Tucker.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
For a 1 year waiting period to play again, the schools can restrict transfers. This happens occasionally in men's basketball. There is a 2 year waiting period to play for transfers in the same conference.

But that doesn't mean she can't transfer wherever she wants just that the school can give her a hard time. It's very rare that they would give her a hard time for an out of conf. school.

Reaction Score
Which were her final set of schools before she committed? That's of

You're right unfortunately for the league fans, she won't be in the ACC. She'd have a two year wait to play if she transferred within the ACC.

Conn, Tenn, Duke, Maryland.

Duke would likely be out of the list because of the 2 year wait. Maryland is out of the ACC, so that is a possibility.

If she plays professionally abroad for one year, would she still be able to play for a Div I school the following year?

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Is there any rule that she has to finish school at all ? If not I say make the jump to the WNBA
as an undrafted free agent.

She cannot play in the "W" until such time as her entering class graduates from college. Ex: CP3 left for the WNBA after 3 seasons of play because she red-shirted one year

Reaction Score
Haven't read the whole thread but my wife and I have been discussing it and she thinks she is headed to South Carolina. The hang up could be if Sylvia doesn't release her. If she does she may make it contingent on her not joining say an SEC school. I can't imagine Geno would take her even if she was considering UCONN. Why take a player who turned you down in the past and changed your recruiting focus? We have many guards coming in, granted not as good as she is but still,no! If she goes to SC, Dawn Staley is in for some chilly relationships with fellow coaches.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
If she plays professionally abroad for one year, would she still be able to play for a Div I school the following year?
I don't think the NCAA would let one go play "pro" for a year and come back and play "amateur" in college.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Remember K State is not releasing a player.

Reaction Score
Haven't read the whole thread but my wife and I have been discussing it and she thinks she is headed to South Carolina. The hang up could be if Sylvia doesn't release her. If she does she may make it contingent on her not joining say an SEC school. I can't imagine Geno would take her even if she was considering UCONN. Why take a player who turned you down in the past and changed your recruiting focus? We have many guards coming in, granted not as good as she is but still,no! If she goes to SC, Dawn Staley is in for some chilly relationships with fellow coaches.

Hahaha.. I said it yesterday in the "rumor" thread that it is Wilson recruiting Deshields, not the other way around like
people were talking about :)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Conn, Tenn, Duke, Maryland.

Duke would likely be out of the list because of the 2 year wait. Maryland is out of the ACC, so that is a possibility.

No, she would be professional unless she played for what was an amateur club which is not likely.

loneycafe

Go Pack! #GTHC
Reaction Score
You know this major news when the Triangle Sports Radio show has this among its lead-in for the Afternoon Drive time show.

And when, on Pack Pride, there are more posts in the thread on the main board about DeShields' transferring than Jabari Parker declaring for the NBA.

Reaction Score
Look what this girl is potentially giving up. A chance for a National Championship. A change for National Player of the Year (after Stewie leaves). A chance to plays on the Olympic team ( if the powers that be are still around when her time would come). For what? A few dollars or euros? This doesn't add up. Could it be something even deeper??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom