Diamond Deshields transferring from UNC | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Diamond Deshields transferring from UNC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Which were her final set of schools before she committed? That's of
In all honesty, Im a bit saddened by the news. ... Her presence will definitely be missed in the ACC.

That being said... GTHC ! GTH ! ;)

You're right unfortunately for the league fans, she won't be in the ACC. She'd have a two year wait to play if she transferred within the ACC.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The good news for Duke is that McCallie catches yet another break because UNC would have surpassed Duke in next year's ACC standings.

#LessonsLearned
#SpecialPeople
#GoodbyeToNumber23

At least Coach doesnt have to worry about shaking her hand 2-3 times a year now :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
At this point, I'm so shocked that nothing would 'surprise' me , as far as her ultimate destination.
My guess is South Carolina. She is good friends with A'ja and the timing of this
makes me think SC.

Reaction Score
I would guess that UNC would not allow her to play at SC.
NC is in the ACC and SC is in the SEC, they probably wouldn't want her to
transfer within the conference.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
And VERY disappointing if she didn't talk to Hatchell.

I really feel bad for Coach Hatchell.... especially after all that she has gone through

Reaction Score
Has this ever happened with freshman of the year player?
It hasn't happened in the last 15 years and probably never. The media will make it known one way or the other.

Reaction Score
Do you guys think Geno would take her?

Depends.
It would depend on why she was leaving, what she was looking for, etc. She'd be going from one of the least disciplined styles of playing to the one of the most -- she'd need to come hat in hand.

And if it is true that she didnt talk to Hatchell then that doesn't speak well of her. That would be a big negative.

loneycafe

Go Pack! #GTHC
Reaction Score
In all honesty, Im a bit saddened by the news. True she played for our school's biggest rival, true she was a thorn in our side the past year and was destined to be for the next 3 years... but.... she was an exciting player to watch.. and she definitely brought energy and a buzz to the crowds @ the ACC tournament. I know alot of the tar heel fans in Greensboro were excited to see her play in person... and also the young kids and youth as well. Her presence will definitely be missed in the ACC.

That being said... GTHC ! GTH ! ;)

Oh, I agree. She was an exciting player to watch, and she added to the rivalry. She was like Ivory Latta to me. I hated she played for UNC, and I didn't always like the attitude, but I loved watching her play and respected her skills and talent.

And I do feel for Hatchell.

But, the transfer could be good for Moore as he rebuilds NC State's program.

Reaction Score
I saw an exchange on twitter between Harold Guttman, who reported this story, and a UNC student who lives on her floor and is a sports writer for the DTH saying that he saw Diamond and her mom moving stuff out after the team got back from California. He never thought anything of it at that time, but now it makes some sense.

Harold Gutmann ‏@haroldgut 1h

BREAKING: Diamond DeShields to transfer from UNC | The Herald-Sun fb.me/12I7uRfmx

Expand

Retweet
Favorite

Aaron Dodson ‏@DodgerThat 35m

@haroldgut Diamond lives on my floor. I saw her and her mom moving things out 2 weeks ago but didn't think much of it. Great work, Harold!
Expand

Retweet
Favorite

Harold Gutmann ‏@haroldgut 33m

@DodgerThat thanks Aaron. No reason why you would. I was shocked at first
Hide conversation

Reaction Score
I really feel bad for Coach Hatchell.... especially after all that she has gone through
I second that
Women's basketball was involved. I can't find the articles where WBB players are referenced as taking the classes never met, but WBB has been mentioned alongside of football and MBB.
Thanks for the correction. I never thought that WBB would be involved.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I have held a very low opinion of the many Boneyard posts bashing DeShields, but this does NOT look likely to reflect well on her integrity.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
Because it's not a fit

Totally agree. She has demonstrated she's not Geno's type of player. I've quoted this before, but it says an awful lot about her and I'm quoting it again in light of today's shocking news. This is from a John Altavilla column dated May 5, 2012:

“I felt at North Carolina I can be myself on and off the court,” DeShields told HoopGurlz. “Coach (Sylvia) Hatchell develops players in to young women. I feel like once you get that feeling, you should do it. I have had this feeling about some of the other schools, but never for this long.”

Reaction Score
Am I correct in my understanding that UNC has to release her from her LOI before she can talk to another school??? Is the rule that you have to sit out 2 years if you transfer within your conference??

Reaction Score
Am I correct in my understanding that UNC has to release her from her LOI before she can talk to another school??? Is the rule that you have to sit out 2 years if you transfer within your conference??

The "2 year" thing is not an NCAA rule; instead it's a rule that have several conferences have. Not sure if ACC does, but it probably does.

Reaction Score
They don't get to pick.
For a 1 year waiting period to play again, the schools can restrict transfers. This happens occasionally in men's basketball. There is a 2 year waiting period to play for transfers in the same conference.

Reaction Score
Is there any rule that she has to finish school at all ? If not I say make the jump to the WNBA
as an undrafted free agent.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
"I do not know or understand why Diamond DeShields has decided to leave The University of North Carolina,"

That's a very strange statement coming as it did from the head coach. Did DD just pack up and leave without talking with anyone connected to the team?

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I think we're entering a new era, pro and college in which young superstars:
Announce their choice of schools on National TV
Demand trades or refuse to play
Transfer for good or not so good reasons.

It's all part of a new primacy of a classic buyers market.
Of course, NC can do a K-State and refuse to release.

And the NCAA could threaten NC with the "death penalty"
If so, all bets are off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member