Death Storm | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Death Storm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The one thing you notice when you get back to Connecticut is the trees seem to be on top of you. I noticed last year they were finally doing some cutting .I understand
Companies have been negligent in trimming in past years. It's no shock that you have severe outages with every storm. We come out for June and experience at least one.
This storm seems pretty scary.Much more than a nuisance.
I have a son-in- law who will probably get called out ( he works for a utility comp.)
Working with downed lines in cold temps isn't a piece of cake.
My mother-in-law is a shut in but where she lives power is usually restored quickly.
We've asked her to spend the winters with us but she is pretty stubborn, as 90 years olds typically are.
I thought when you lose power gas and oil furnaces don't work either.
I know my oil furnace didn't work nor did you have water if you had a pump.

So unless you burn coal or wood your in trouble.
Good luck to all you hardy New Englanders. I hope the forecasters are wrong.

Reaction Score
It's not even a story on Accuweather. They are more focused on Glendale Arizona and if footballs will be inflated properly next Sunday at 6:19 pm. :confused:
Uof P stadium ( AKA the mother Ship)has a roof ,what does the weather have to do with the game?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 32

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Just saw a meteorologist give this report about the storm on his way out of town:

Very funny!

FWIW, Zulu is a great movie, based on one of the most incredible defensive actions of all time. If you haven't seen it, it might be a good way to kill some time during the storm.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I guess that's one way to control them but I wouldn't post about it.
Relax, he's waters down the scotch for the kids.

Reaction Score
There's nothing like pulling 280 feet opf water line up and out of the well in order to replace the pump. Then to drop it all in again hoping that was the issue. i love well water...and hate chlorinated public water.
I think their are filters which can remove the flourine.

Reaction Score
There's nothing like pulling 280 feet opf water line up and out of the well in order to replace the pump. Then to drop it all in again hoping that was the issue. i love well water...and hate chlorinated public water.
I grew up on god ole MDC water. Had more chlorine than a pool, but nothing ever kept it from pouring from the tap! :)

Reaction Score
Relax, he's waters down the scotch for the kids.
Of course, and if he's really practical why give the good Scotch to the kids, just pour them Four Roses.

Reaction Score
Whoa!! CL&P calls you directly?! How did you manage that? To be fair, after the Super Storm and hurricane fiasco a few years ago, they have been decimating trees statewide. There is a section of Route 2 that looks post apocalyptic, but damn there won't be any trees bringing down any wires along that stretch!
And the ride down the Merritt Pkwy isn't what it used to be now that they're clear cutting 75 feet back on both sides plus all of the trees down the middle. So much for being one of America's scenic highways. Somebody must've sued the state to justify that expense. Good time to be an arborist (or any hack with chain saw) in Fairfield county.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Uof P stadium ( AKA the mother Ship)has a roof ,what does the weather have to do with the game?
So AZPOP has been under a rock the last 8 days.
I think their are filters which can remove the flourine.

Sometimes fluoride is added to town water as a dental aide (Damn you Gov't, If I want cavities, that's my business :rolleyes:!!!) But, yes. Yhe water from the tap smells more like a public pool than the filtered water from the refrigerator.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Can't wait to see how high the water gets up to my front porch here in Fairfield. I stocked up on booze as well, so I should be good. The house, don't know.

Reaction Score
We had to evacuate during Sandy, so I'm nervous about the surge too. Supposed to happen during the night which is not a comforting thought, along with a sleepless night.

Reaction Score
I live in milford less than a quarter mile from the water, but I'm lucky enough to be on top of a hill. More worried about keeping my driveway clean. My generator is already hooked up and ready to go if I need it.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I live in milford less than a quarter mile from the water, but I'm lucky enough to be on top of a hill. More worried about keeping my driveway clean. My generator is already hooked up and ready to go if I need it.
20ft from the water in Fairfield so my house is getting some a bath.

Reaction Score
Got let out early from downtown NYC at 1 PM due to safety issues as building management closed all entrances/exits from the building so that they could put up the storm/flood barriers. Building was closed 6 months due to Sandy after the first floor and the subbasement flooded. Can't evacuate a 40 story skyscraper quickly with just one door.

Reaction Score
Sent a picture the next time a Cat 5 Hurricane coms to visit :)

Fortunately, we don't get hurricanes here. There is a long rainy season, but never anything worse than thunder storms.

Reaction Score
Last winter, around this time....the prankster clan resolved to decamp to warmer climes.

And yet, here, I find myself experiencing inclement weather, still!

Winds gusting to 35mph...rain showers....temps only reaching the low 60's...with the promise that we may see night time temperatures in the low 40's this week....

You folks aren't the only ones suffering....
I understand. I just don't get the badge of honor new Englanders feel. This storm really won't affect much, but 2 days, but it's the garage, with the generators, the snow shovels, the gloves, hats, and boots, year round for which to care and organize. It's the wood pile to be maintained throughout the fall. It's the generator fuel to store, just in case for 3 winters, so when it comes, you're prepared. It's the phone calls to overworked people you haven't thrown much business to in 2 and a half years to come get you out, or the self bailing, on the fourth hour, every hour as the snow piles up. And it's the high, high state taxes and high, high property values. But the selling points are immense. Hartford, Providence. I mean compare those world class cities to Atlanta, Miami, Nashville, Dallas, Phoenix. It's really no comparison. And plus, in April, when it's 80 for 3 days in Atlanta, it's a much more comfortable 42 in Hartford. And then in July, when it's 95 both places, they have a/c pre-installed and it works. And it cost 1/3 what it did in Hartford. Everything makes so much sense to me now. It costs nearly half as much to live down South, the weather's way better, but damnit "I have brass balls." Have a great Death Storm, and in all seriousness, have fun, but take care.

Reaction Score
I understand. I just don't get the badge of honor new Englanders feel. This storm really won't affect much, but 2 days, but it's the garage, with the generators, the snow shovels, the gloves, hats, and boots, year round for which to care and organize. It's the wood pile to be maintained throughout the fall. It's the generator fuel to store, just in case for 3 winters, so when it comes, you're prepared. It's the phone calls to overworked people you haven't thrown much business to in 2 and a half years to come get you out, or the self bailing, on the fourth hour, every hour as the snow piles up. And it's the high, high state taxes and high, high property values. But the selling points are immense. Hartford, Providence. I mean compare those world class cities to Atlanta, Miami, Nashville, Dallas, Phoenix. It's really no comparison. And plus, in April, when it's 80 for 3 days in Atlanta, it's a much more comfortable 42 in Hartford. And then in July, when it's 95 both places, they have a/c pre-installed and it works. And it cost 1/3 what it did in Hartford. Everything makes so much sense to me now. It costs nearly half as much to live down South, the weather's way better, but damnit "I have brass balls." Have a great Death Storm, and in all seriousness, have fun, but take care.
What is the point of this post? Great you like where you live, do you really think Atlanta, Nashville, Dallas and Phoenix are world class cities?

Reaction Score
Phoenix leaves a lot to be desired, imho,plus I don't especially like cacti and sand, except on a beach !(sand that is).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom