Death Storm | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Death Storm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Phoenix leaves a lot to be desired, imho,plus I don't especially like cacti and sand, except on a beach !(sand that is).
No grass to mow, or places to fish. Do they even sell lawn mowers there?

Reaction Score
I understand. I just don't get the badge of honor new Englanders feel. This storm really won't affect much, but 2 days, but it's the garage, with the generators, the snow shovels, the gloves, hats, and boots, year round for which to care and organize. It's the wood pile to be maintained throughout the fall. It's the generator fuel to store, just in case for 3 winters, so when it comes, you're prepared. It's the phone calls to overworked people you haven't thrown much business to in 2 and a half years to come get you out, or the self bailing, on the fourth hour, every hour as the snow piles up. And it's the high, high state taxes and high, high property values. But the selling points are immense. Hartford, Providence. I mean compare those world class cities to Atlanta, Miami, Nashville, Dallas, Phoenix. It's really no comparison. And plus, in April, when it's 80 for 3 days in Atlanta, it's a much more comfortable 42 in Hartford. And then in July, when it's 95 both places, they have a/c pre-installed and it works. And it cost 1/3 what it did in Hartford. Everything makes so much sense to me now. It costs nearly half as much to live down South, the weather's way better, but damnit "I have brass balls." Have a great Death Storm, and in all seriousness, have fun, but take care.

I just don't understand the badge of honor that you feel do you want a cookie.

Reaction Score
Very funny!

FWIW, Zulu is a great movie, based on one of the most incredible defensive actions of all time. If you haven't seen it, it might be a good way to kill some time during the storm.

Agree on it being a great movie. I remember staying up late (or at least what I considered "late" when I was 10 or 11) to watch that and have enjoyed it since then.

You may have already read this book, but, if not, I suggest checking out "Like Wolves on the Fold" by Mike Snook. It's a detailed account of the battle. The same author also has a book about the battle of Isandlwana, "How Can Man Die Better," which I thought was well done.

Reaction Score
Phoenix leaves a lot to be desired, imho,plus I don't especially like cacti and sand, except on a beach !(sand that is).

Atlanta is really fun to watch when the city shuts down for over a week because they get 6" of snow due to the fact that have less than a dozen trucks that can plow for all of Fulton County. Happens about every other year. Hartford, New York, Boston, etc. will be back up and running for the most part by Thursday.

Reaction Score
The one thing you notice when you get back to Connecticut is the trees seem to be on top of you. I noticed last year they were finally doing some cutting .I understand
Companies have been negligent in trimming in past years. It's no shock that you have severe outages with every storm. We come out for June and experience at least one.
This storm seems pretty scary.Much more than a nuisance.
I have a son-in- law who will probably get called out ( he works for a utility comp.)
Working with downed lines in cold temps isn't a piece of cake.
My mother-in-law is a shut in but where she lives power is usually restored quickly.
We've asked her to spend the winters with us but she is pretty stubborn, as 90 years olds typically are.
I thought when you lose power gas and oil furnaces don't work either.
I know my oil furnace didn't work nor did you have water if you had a pump.

So unless you burn coal or wood your in trouble.
Good luck to all you hardy New Englanders. I hope the forecasters are wrong.

You come to CT every June and experience a power outage? I'd call that an exaggeration but I think that's a given.

Reaction Score
I understand. I just don't get the badge of honor new Englanders feel. This storm really won't affect much, but 2 days, but it's the garage, with the generators, the snow shovels, the gloves, hats, and boots, year round for which to care and organize. It's the wood pile to be maintained throughout the fall. It's the generator fuel to store, just in case for 3 winters, so when it comes, you're prepared. It's the phone calls to overworked people you haven't thrown much business to in 2 and a half years to come get you out, or the self bailing, on the fourth hour, every hour as the snow piles up. And it's the high, high state taxes and high, high property values. But the selling points are immense. Hartford, Providence. I mean compare those world class cities to Atlanta, Miami, Nashville, Dallas, Phoenix. It's really no comparison. And plus, in April, when it's 80 for 3 days in Atlanta, it's a much more comfortable 42 in Hartford. And then in July, when it's 95 both places, they have a/c pre-installed and it works. And it cost 1/3 what it did in Hartford. Everything makes so much sense to me now. It costs nearly half as much to live down South, the weather's way better, but damnit "I have brass balls." Have a great Death Storm, and in all seriousness, have fun, but take care.

I like that you list the selling points as Hartford and Providence. It's great that no one outside of this area know about New York, Boston, and Philadelphia, otherwise even more people might end up living here.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Gaw haw, you sssure got us, haw, haw, haw.

TOOTHLESSOLDMAN.gif

Reaction Score
Hartford and Providence are historical cities. Most cities you mention are just circuses.

Reaction Score
Hartford and Providence are historical cities. Most cities you mention are just circuses.

Atlanta, Dallas and Phoenix are cities without souls.

Reaction Score
Don Lemon is cruising the streets of Manhattan in his blizzardmobile, this is groundbreaking journalism. Don Lemon, "I'm in a blizzardmobile because this is a blizzard, the streets are slushy."

Reaction Score
Just saw the American an European model updates, both shift the storm's bullseye to Eastern CT, RI and SE Massachusetts and away from the NY/NJ area except for eastern LI, which is getting it on the chin.

Reaction Score
What is the point of this post? Great you like where you live, do you really think Atlanta, Nashville, Dallas and Phoenix are world class cities?
With Hartford, it's Earth to Mercury. Any one of them.

Reaction Score
Stay there then. Different strokes for different folks. But you'll still pay more.

Reaction Score
Atlanta is really fun to watch when the city shuts down for over a week because they get 6" of snow due to the fact that have less than a dozen trucks that can plow for all of Fulton County. Happens about every other year. Hartford, New York, Boston, etc. will be back up and running for the most part by Thursday.
You're paying for that snow removal, just in case you haven't gotten that far in civics.

Reaction Score
What is a cool historical selling point for Hartford? Can you give me like a whole weekends worth? A whole days worth? Because I lived there for 20 years, and I never wanted to go down into Hartford and check out the historical sites(and neither did anyone else I knew). Are historical sites old skanky New England chicks, dirty snow and the Hartford Coliseum... Oh, I've done that.

Reaction Score
You come to CT every June and experience a power outage? I'd call that an exaggeration but I think that's a given.
I am fond of Hyperpole but in this case is very minimal.
Litchfield County has an outage with every thunderstorm.
Late May and June are prime thunderstorm months, I usually joke I see more rain in one month than I do all year," that's hypepole". But in the last 5 years ,we've even had a small tornado.

Reaction Score
Just woke up here in Lisbon ; eastern CT. Getting hit hard right now. Estimates lowered to26" from 36" still alot of snow. Big freaking drifts all over the house. Could always be worse and still have power and satellite knock on wood. Stay safe old timers.

Reaction Score
What is a cool historical selling point for Hartford? Can you give me like a whole weekends worth? A whole days worth? Because I lived there for 20 years, and I never wanted to go down into Hartford and check out the historical sites(and neither did anyone else I knew). Are historical sites old skanky New England chicks, dirty snow and the Hartford Coliseum... Oh, I've done that.
Then you obviously have no value for history. There's loads in Hartford and all around.

All you care about is the chicks? As if Miami and Atlanta don't have skanks? Really?

Reaction Score
Got a whopping 3" to 5" inches where I live in North Jersey. Mother nature faked all of the forecasters and government forecasters out on this one. Would laugh; but, a colleague n Long Island has 2 feet on the ground, saw a note from UConn that Storrs has +16" and more coming and areas around Boston, especially south, are getting crushed.

Reaction Score
It's real here in Boston. Not sure about the wind, but there is a solid foot outside my apartment building right now

Reaction Score
Probably 18" in Vernon. Apparently there's already 2' on the ground at my work in Putnam.

Reaction Score
Too soon. I feel like you can't overreact to a current phenomenon. You have to let some time go by. Remember, there was a time when New Kids On The Block were being compared to the Beatles.

(On edit: I guess I did mention deflated footballs - so I was inconsistent).
A girl who worked for me and I were having a discussion about her favorite group, One Direction. She blurts out "you know they are the Beatles of our generation" No lie "the Beatles of our generation" My only reply after smh was "why? Are 1/2 of them dead"

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
A girl who worked for me and I were having a discussion about her favorite group, One Direction. She blurts out "you know they are the Beatles of our generation" No lie "the Beatles of our generation" My only reply after smh was "why? Are 1/2 of them dead"

Actually, The Beatles are The Beatles of her generation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32