Death Storm | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Death Storm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yes, CL&P is very excited about the fact they once again have the potential to lose millions of dollars NOT getting their customers back up and running. Because why would 2 feet of snow and 40-50mph winds have an affect on power lines????

Not really worried to be honest. So many branches fell in that disaster October storm, plus Irene and Sandy and they have done a bunch of work on what is left. It is crazy though that 3 and a half years later I still see branches just dangling and ready to drop, as long as they aren't over power lines then I'm okay with that I guess. I am definitely jinxing myself and I am going to lose power now.

Reaction Score
And I'll be pissed at CL&P for the rest of my life since I ended up losing power for 10 days during that October snowstorm. CL&P.

Reaction Score
Actually I didn't get to go, my wife decided we (her use of the word we is not inclusive its actually synonymous with you )needed to clean the garage in anticipation of installing cabinets on Tuesday. Since we don't usually have basements and our attics can reach amazing temps ,garage space is utilized to its maximum.
I did find a bunch of UConn stuff from the eighties and early nineties in a sealed boxed I moved from CT 7 years ago.
I actually have a program signed by Carl Hobbs as a player.I didn't go through the entire box who knows what I will find.
My wife told me Ansonia already cancelled school for Monday and Tuesday.her mom still lives in the valley.so she is hooked in to the local news. Via the patches.
What is going on ? Some places are predicting over 30 inches.
Those use to be once a century storms.
Nothing yet, in 24 hours that will change.

Reaction Score
Did everybody else get the call from CL&P that said if you relay on electricity for heat or well water, seek alternate housing. WTF? They are planning on having power outages they can't fix?
Whoa!! CL&P calls you directly?! How did you manage that? To be fair, after the Super Storm and hurricane fiasco a few years ago, they have been decimating trees statewide. There is a section of Route 2 that looks post apocalyptic, but damn there won't be any trees bringing down any wires along that stretch!

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Last winter, around this time....the prankster clan resolved to decamp to warmer climes.

And yet, here, I find myself experiencing inclement weather, still!

Winds gusting to 35mph...rain showers....temps only reaching the low 60's...with the promise that we may see night time temperatures in the low 40's this week....

You folks aren't the only ones suffering....

Reaction Score
Only one true "Death Storm"
o-chris-farley-el-nino-facebook.jpg

Reaction Score
Last winter, around this time....the prankster clan resolved to decamp to warmer climes.

And yet, here, I find myself experiencing inclement weather, still!

Winds gusting to 35mph...rain showers....temps only reaching the low 60's...with the promise that we may see night time temperatures in the low 40's this week....

You folks aren't the only ones suffering....
Bite me!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
My office is shutting down at noon today and is closed tomorrow.

Time to peruse the beer thread for some purchases on my way home.
Don't forget the bourbon thread.

Reaction Score
Don't forget the bourbon thread.

indeed, i actually already discussed with my roomate that a bottle of Hudson Baby Bourbon Whiskey will need to be procured.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I'm not worried as much this time around as I was in 2010 (seemed like a Nor'easter rolled through twice a week.). Also, as has been stated, CL&P rolled through and mulched up much of the trees engulfing wires along state routes. It's the local roads I'm most concerned about. I was driving up West High Street in East Hampton this morning and there're many a tree limbs popping through the wires. We've only lost power once since Irene, so hopefully that streak continues.

Be that as it may, I brought in wood for the fireplace and cleared out my garage bay (was filled with my son's outdoor toys) to park my 4Runner, and brought my 20 lb LP tank into the garage in case we have to cook the meat and chicken in the refrigerator (tailgate grill!!!). One good thing about this storm vs. Irene is that we don't need ice to keep the frozen food cold. Just put it outside!!! Bottle of Vodka and a some wine for the wife is on the docket for the ride home...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It doesn't sound like tree limbs will be the problem as the snow won't be sticking. Wires should be able to withstand 35mph gusts.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
My wife is already sniping me about not getting that generator or chopping wood for the fireplace that we never use. I am confident we'll be ok. CL&P made upgrades along Rt 80. And the snow will be powdery.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
My wife is already sniping me about not getting that generator or chopping wood for the fireplace that we never use. I am confident we'll be ok. CL&P made upgrades along Rt 80. And the snow will be powdery.
famous last words.
You'll be out for a week. Im already resigned to that. Cedar lake power goes out when someone sneezes.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Shoot me a text if we lose power. I'll strap on the snowshoes or cross-country skis and bring you some cider.

Our kids have been directed that they must bring 30 logs each into the garage before I get home. Get your fireplace match-ready today in case we lose power overnight. I can tell you from experience that gathering all that crap to start a fire in the middle of the night, in the middle of a storm, in the dark is no fun.

Fill your tub with water today too. I'm assuming you're on a well like we are. We use buckets from the tub to flush the toilets when we lose power. And we have about a dozen gallon jugs already filled too.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Made a trip to Big Y. The place was packed. Got the groceries then stopped at the package store for wine for the wife and bourbon for me.

Got gas for the blower, pellets in the garage. If power goes out, the generator will kick in.

And it started snowing here in Sandy Hook about 30 minutes ago. So time to hunker down. Stay safe Boneyarders!

Husky25

Reaction Score
Fill your tub with water today too. I'm assuming you're on a well like we are. We use buckets from the tub to flush the toilets when we lose power. And we have about a dozen gallon jugs already filled too.

Thank your chosen deity for town water and sewer.

Reaction Score
Thank your chosen deity for town water and sewer.
That is a MUST for wherever we retire. I will never, ever have a well again...

Hubby says the Weather channel isn't even talking about the snow. they are behaving as if it's a CAT 5 hurricane. Dandy!

Husky25

Reaction Score

Hubby says the Weather channel isn't even talking about the snow. they are behaving as if it's a CAT 5 hurricane. Dandy!
It's not even a story on Accuweather. They are more focused on Glendale Arizona and if footballs will be inflated properly next Sunday at 6:19 pm. :confused:

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

There's nothing like pulling 280 feet opf water line up and out of the well in order to replace the pump. Then to drop it all in again hoping that was the issue. i love well water...and hate chlorinated public water.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom