Creighton forum talking UConn | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Creighton forum talking UConn

Reaction Score
I spent 3 yrs living in Michigan, I travel to Ohio all the time, at least a couple times a month. My sense is that the MW starts in Ohio and ends in Iowa, but doesn't go south to Missouri. I'd even say that Cincy is very close to a southern city. Once you hit Columbus and ask for a biscuit with your hash browns and eggs, that biscuit will be full of sugar.

My friends from Missouri always say that the state is split not east west, but north south. North is a Plains state, south is the southern US. I would definitely maintain a difference between the Plains states and the Midwest. Oklahoma too near Tulsa is a Plains state but the rest is southwestern.

Pittsburgh, Central PA and western Maryland are just straight up Appalachia and distinct from the midwest or the south. I can drive 1 hour south of the Canadian border to find a southern twang in the Southern Tier of New York. I recently stopped to eat at a town called Horseheads, NY and the talk was, well, hillbilly. Reminded me of a lot of places in Central, PA when I lived there. Appalachia is distinct from the south though.

Reaction Score
I spent 3 yrs living in Michigan, I travel to Ohio all the time, at least a couple times a month. My sense is that the MW starts in Ohio and ends in Iowa, but doesn't go south to Missouri. I'd even say that Cincy is very close to a southern city. Once you hit Columbus and ask for a biscuit with your hash browns and eggs, that biscuit will be full of sugar.

My friends from Missouri always say that the state is split not east west, but north south. North is a Plains state, south is the southern US. I would definitely maintain a difference between the Plains states and the Midwest. Oklahoma too near Tulsa is a Plains state but the rest is southwestern.

Pittsburgh, Central PA and western Maryland are just straight up Appalachia and distinct from the midwest or the south. I can drive 1 hour south of the Canadian border to find a southern twang in the Southern Tier of New York. I recently stopped to eat at a town called Horseheads, NY and the talk was, well, hillbilly. Reminded me of a lot of places in Central, PA when I lived there. Appalachia is distinct from the south though.
The accent in New York is very strange. I remember my first time vacationing by Caroga lake and I needed to buy propane.

I could barely understand the lady at the local General store but gathered that I could get some a few miles down the road at "Storts".

After driving a few miles I finally found propane at Stewart's.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Disagree. People in the south and midwest might be nicer to your face but they will talk about you the moment you turn around. It's a fake niceness. There's more BS. In the NE there's no BS. I llived in Virgnia nad have family in Georgia, SC, and Louisiana. Down there all the time.

Bless Your Heart.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Dear Lord, no. Firmly midwest.
Minnesota and Wisconsin are about as Midwest as it gets.
Have had multiple interactions with family members(through marriage) who are natives of Wisconsin.. They would be highly offended if you said they were anything other than Midwesterners. Trust me on that.
My whole Dads side of family is from Minnesota. I spent all my summers as kid there. Same.
UW & UMinn offer in-state tuition reciprocally. If one, then the other.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Lived in Illinois which extends much further south than people realize. That is definitely midwest and so is Missouri.
By similar logic along the I-64 path, a majority of Louisville identifies as Midwest, but LouKY, SoIn, presumably southern Illinois, and St Louis can play Southern in a number of ways, especially when it gets relentlessly hot & sticky in the summer.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
[/QUOTE]
everywhere you go there are people that suck and people that suck less...end of discussion, you're welcome
And you are?

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Western North Carolinians definitely define themselves as “Appalatchians” first and southerners as second.

They’re a different breed from the northern “Appalaychians”.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Western North Carolinians definitely define themselves as “Appalatchians” first and southerners as second.

They’re a different breed from the northern “Appalaychians”.
The Appalachians fought the Redcoats. Other Carolinians didn't.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
The Appalachians fought the Redcoats. Other Carolinians didn't.

The Appleations (sic) are a lot like the brits. They both have no teeth.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Ummmm - was your intent to prove him correct?
For the record, I believe the intent of @Get a Job was to have some fun demonstrating the NE mindset.

His first paragraph mocked, and his second paragraph insulted, but I doubt he was representing himself or being serious in either.

I'll also guess that he is (or was) from the NE.

I'm glad that I chose to Love the post.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Posters here thinking that we will be undefeated this year....neither good nor bad. It doesn't effect the play on the floor
...unless you think it does.

A final note: imagine the Creighton fan who visits here and gets excited thinking, "Oh wow, there's a thread with 137 posts about Creighton on the UConn message board."

Last edited:

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
By similar logic along the I-64 path, a majority of Louisville identifies as Midwest, but LouKY, SoIn, presumably southern Illinois, and St Louis can play Southern in a number of ways, especially when it gets relentlessly hot & sticky in the summer.
A few decades back I was on an audit in Jeffersonville Indiana (the locals referred to it as Kentuckiana). Most of those who lived there considered themselves southerners and I was stunned at how southern the culture was.

We had to cross the river into Louisville just to find some civilization and de ent restaurants (Jeffersonville did have more waffle houses than gas stations).

Reaction Score
For the record, I believe the intent of @Get a Job was to have some fun demonstrating the NE mindset.

His first paragraph mocked, and his second paragraph insulted, but I doubt he was representing himself or being serious in either.

Surely you jest

Reaction Score

Correct on all counts!

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
My whole Dads side of family is from Minnesota. I spent all my summers as kid there. Same.
2nd wedding was to a Mound girl, an exburb of Mpls. I was going to do the bachelor dinner at Jax, a Mpls fish/steak place which I love, MIL-to-be said it would be easier for her to arrange it since I was in CT. Next thing I know, if's in a crappy conference room at a 2nd rate suburban hotel. I was surprised it wasn't pot luck. Doesn't get much more midwestern. But you can't beat walleye for good eatin' fish.

August_West

Reaction Score
2nd wedding was to a Mound girl. I was going to do the bachelor dinner at Jax, a somewhat upscale fish/steak place which I love, MIL-to-be said it would be easier for her to arrange it since I was in CT. Next thing I know, if's in a crappy conference room at a 2nd rate suburban hotel. I was surprised it wasn't pot luck. Doesn't get much more midwestern. But you can't beat walleye for good eatin' fish.
Conference rooms at second rate hotels are a Minnesota family get together requirement complete with fold up long tables with paper tablecloths covered with the “ hot dish”Every single person attending brought ( and they all contain a “ cream of something” soup)

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I may be wrong on Minnesota as others have pointed out, in part because I don't think of the Midwest as going that far north. I tend to view the heart of the midwest as centered around the 40 degree latitude line. I'll accept that it's the midwest and I probably just haven't been there (except the airport). But Iowa, Kansas and Missouri are definitely the midwest. No question about it. The plains states are part of the midwest.

As @storrsroars pointed out, the lines on the map aren't perfect here. Is western PA a bit "midwestern", yes. Is southern Missouri in the Ozarks a bit hillbilly sourthern? Yes. Is southwestern Kansas (Dodge City) closer to being the southwest? Yes. The western Dakotas are mountain states. We know that southeastern CT is a little more NY than New England, right? Same thing. Still geographically NE.

August_West

Reaction Score
I may be wrong on Minnesota as others have pointed out, in part because I don't think of the Midwest as going that far north. I tend to view the heart of the midwest as centered around the 40 degree latitude line. I'll accept that it's the midwest and I probably just haven't been there (except the airport). But Iowa, Kansas and Missouri are definitely the midwest. No question about it. The plains states are part of the midwest.

As @storrsroars pointed out, the lines on the map aren't perfect here. Is western PA a bit "midwestern", yes. Is southern Missouri in the Ozarks a bit hillbilly sourthern? Yes. Is southwestern Kansas (Dodge City) closer to being the southwest? Yes. The western Dakotas are mountain states. We know that southeastern CT is a little more NY than New England, right? Same thing. Still geographically NE.

Southeastern CT is NY? Lol no . They are inbred Portuguese fishermen from RI

Reaction Score
2nd wedding was to a Mound girl, an exburb of Mpls. I was going to do the bachelor dinner at Jax, a Mpls fish/steak place which I love, MIL-to-be said it would be easier for her to arrange it since I was in CT. Next thing I know, if's in a crappy conference room at a 2nd rate suburban hotel. I was surprised it wasn't pot luck. Doesn't get much more midwestern. But you can't beat walleye for good eatin' fish.
My wife(from Iowa) has a dry rub for fish/Walleye from a bait shop near Lake Okoboji on speed dial.. Usually have 8-10 packages in inventory.. Also works great with Atlantic fish ..

BTW.. Some of those pot lucks out in the Mid-West kick butt.

Reaction Score

I was actually quoting what people FROM these states told me. I've never been to Missouri other than the St. Louis airport, and I've not been to many places in Oklahoma outside of the one week I spent in Stillwater and Tulsa. The people I know are from Springfield, MO, where they told me they identify as southern. I've also never been to the Plains states, any of them. I just know that midwesterners always draw a distinction, and it mostly has to do with farmers versus industrial workers. So sure, an Indiana wheat farmer has much more in common with a Nebraska corn farmer than either of them do with a typical Midwestern industrial worker. But in the MW, you have a huge number of blue collar workers or ex blue collar families. This is why the politics are so different from the Plains states.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom