Courtney Moving Ahead of Saniya in Depth Chart? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Courtney Moving Ahead of Saniya in Depth Chart?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I hope Saniya was injured for this game because she got barely 1 minute vs. USF. Even Butler and Ekmark got into the game before her. I hate seeing this for Saniya. I'd love for someone to ask Geno what's going on with her because I'm mystified...

Reaction Score
Just to add some clarity to Courtney's senior year of HS so it stops getting mentioned as a poor decision.... Had she played for her HS team as a senior it would have been as close to a waste as possible. For those who remember, her HS team won the fictional national title her junior year. Every member of the rotation graduated except her. She'd have seen a double or triple team on every possession. I'd safely argue that her playing with her brother's AAU team and getting a personal trainer was a far better option than playing on that team that her father was no longer coaching (he finished after her junior year as well). Oh, and in Arizona you have to sit out a year if you transfer (unless you can prove your family moved as a hardship) so she couldn't have changed HS teams either.

Reaction Score
I hope Saniya was injured for this game because she got barely 1 minute vs. USF. Even Butler and Ekmark got into the game before her. I hate seeing this for Saniya. I'd love for someone to ask Geno what's going on with her because I'm mystified...

Why are you mystified if he thinks his 2nd best pg is Nurse and he thinks Butler and Ekmark might be better for the team? He pulled Stewie with 2:23 left. He replaced her with a center in Butler. You're mystified that he didn't pull Jefferson at the same time as Stewie so Chong col have gotten the extra one minute and 30 seconds? Chong seems to have moved to 3rd on the pg depth chart and 4th on the sg depth chart (assuming KLS sometimes plays sg - and Gabby can defend sg's).

I thought from past posts -- though we never discussed - I thought you have always been somewhat okay with Courtney? SO why a shock if she is beating out Saniya as the sg?

Reaction Score
She wouldn't be the first.

Yep! And just like any other coach throughout the history of their careers - they won't be the last. He's even said that he can't turn everyone. No one can while trying to maintain a winning program.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score

The special that was on after the game the other night dealt with Saniya a bit. Geno talked about her maturity level and how much she has changed. I got the impression he may be mystified by her on the court performance as much as anyone else. She admitted that there have been games when she feels really good and others where she loses her way. I wouldn't count her out just yet. We have seen some very good games by her. Hoping for more.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
no thanks, he may say something harsh again

Reaction Score
I would agree that if Chong is injured, we have our answer. If not the injury than what is wrong here. I have seen this kid play for years and the talent level is there, she just continues to look tentative and afraid on the court. I would blame that on Geno. Some kids will not succeed at this level constantly afraid that the first missed shot or missed defensive assignment will put you on the bench and in a very vicious dog house. I will say again that she seems to be Geno's whipping girl and if none have you have noticed she obviously does not respond well to the "tough love".
As for her leaving, I would love it, I would have loved to see her leave after last year and go on to be a star in the Big Ten or Big East instead of sitting on a National Championship bench. However I think she is a Husky for life.

Advice to Ekmark, get out NOW. This kid can play, she has ability, she could be a start on many high level teams. Ekmark will never ever start at Uconn, there is just too much talent. But, maybe she is happy with her roll there, best of luck to her.

In closing, KLS is a true talent and growing, physically and emotionally. She had her hard times early this year but now it is all coming together. Like I said months ago, not to many players can go 2 for12 from 3 and look so damn good doing it. Whatever the coaching staff did with her she has responded in spades, All-American before she is done.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Conlon was the 4th guard behind Sue, Diana, and KJ. And yet she still played her frosh year - even getting minutes in the 1st half of the National Semifinal.
It was only later that a Husky myth developed that she was a low-talent Rudy-like figure.
Conlon got 83 minutes her FR year. Ekmark got 272. Conlon was 5th guard that year until Ralph got hurt.

Her Soph year she was the 3rd guard behind Bird/DT. But there wasn't really too many other options. A Valley was really the only other guard.

(oh I see UCMiami beat me too it)

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Remember Ketia Swanier? She was utterly hopeless as a freshman, not much better as a sophomore. But as a senior, she was an All American.
No, Swanier was never an AA. Best awards she ever received were BE 6th Man Award and BE HM. She did get drafted in the 1st round of the WNBA draft and did play a few seasons in the league.

Reaction Score
No, Swanier was never an AA. Best awards she ever received were BE 6th Man Award and BE HM. She did get drafted in the 1st round of the WNBA draft and did play a few seasons in the league.

OK. First round WNBA selection, and several-year veteran of the pros leagues. Not too shabby, and a great tribute to Coach Geno's teaching ability.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Didn't she get a ring one year with DT in Phoenix? She had a nice little run as a back-up PG in the WNBA but scoring was always her issue.

People always seem to think minutes are the most important part of playing college basketball. I think if you talked to Kiah Stokes you would get a very different answer. Uconn has never, I think, recruited a player for which that would be the most important thing. They have had some players transfer who might cite that as one of their reasons and maybe even their primary reason, but all you have to do is watch Lawlor's reaction to any good play by one of her teammates to see what being a part of a close knit team means to the players that stick around. And for those that have the talent to make it to the next level, like Kiah, learning the game which happens behind closed doors is more important than which minutes you play. Would Kiah have had more fun playing 35 minutes a game at Temple or Cinci, probably, though losing lots of games is not conducive to joyful times. But she would have arrived in the WNBA much less prepared to play with WNBA talent around her, and with less understanding of the game. (and I think both of those coaches are good teachers.) And for someone who may not have the talent to be a WNBA player, but who loves the game and might want to stay involved after college - who better to watch and learn from than the Uconn coaching staff.

There is some gender consideration here as well - male athletes are less team oriented and more selfish in very general terms than women. The social dynamic of being a teammate is more important to women than men. That is commented on frequently by coaches as both a positive and a negative as superior players are less likely to assert themselves on women's teams and have to be pushed to do so. But they are also much more likely to set screens or make passes so someone else can have their moments of glory. And that also means they can truly celebrate team goals like winning games and championships more joyfully even if they have contributed less on the court. As society evolves in the title IX era, and there are more individual prizes to be won for women athletes this may all change, but it is a reality of today.

So I often wonder which gender the posts that advocate a player transfer for playing time come from. :) (I happen to be male if anyone is curious seeing as i raised the issue.)

Reaction Score
If not the injury than what is wrong here. I have seen this kid play for years and the talent level is there, she just continues to look tentative and afraid on the court. I would blame that on Geno.

Advice to Ekmark, get out NOW. This kid can play, she has ability, she could be a start on many high level teams. Ekmark will never ever start at Uconn, there is just too much talent. But, maybe she is happy with her roll there, best of luck to her.

In closing, KLS is a true talent and growing, physically and emotionally. She had her hard times early this year but now it is all coming together. Like I said months ago, not to many players can go 2 for12 from 3 and look so damn good doing it. Whatever the coaching staff did with her she has responded in spades, All-American before she is done.

1--- I don't know how long you have been following basketball but I assume a long time. However I think if you have ben watching the women play all these years you seldom rarely ever see a magnificent/brutal "choke." How many times do we see major chokes from teams that have the offense and have the talent yet shockingly go down in flames? I saw to an extent what you saw- matter of fact just a few weeks ago I was telling sluconn that Chong would be primed for next year because she looked like she was scoring "at will." Looking back I always speak of her offense. Always have. And of course after I said that- she has shot terribly. When you speak of "talent," are you also speaking of defense? Because frankly, I have never seen her as a great defender or rebounder for a guard. IMO she is soft. I just think you and I miss a lot what it means to be great player when it comes to defense. In this manner, Saniya has never been talented. Her lateral quickness is highly suspect imo as is her rebounding and toughness. While you suggest "a missed defensive assignment" it probably is MANY missed defensive assignments over the course of games and practices. And because Auriemma doesn't rely solely on offense, you and I have been fortunate as fans to not have to watch very many major meltdowns/chokes over the past 20 years. Not 2 years but 20 years. If UCONN can't shoot - they still are able to defend. Saniya looks like she is just a very good offensive weapon. If she misses her shots how much else does she really do?

2-- As for Ekmark-- are you serious? Do you really believe when she committed to UCONN that her mindset going in was that she was either going to earn the starting job or quit? Is that the type of player you think UCONN recruits? So YOUR belief is "start or bust?" If you were a player and you had that attitude, you either would have had to have been a top 7 or 8 recruit or Geno would never looked your way. Do you agree? Isn't the type of attitude you suggested that CE should follow, the anti-thesis of what Auriemma is looking for? She is now 7th on the depth chart for next year as of right now, right? So after getting her butt kicked for two years she should give it all up as she is rising just to go play somewhere else because she isn't starting? Do you see her playing pro ball beyond college?

3-- As for KLS-- I agree. But what about next year? I say KLS is an all-american. Do you agree? She sort of reminds me of "Larry Bird" - not the ruggedness definitely not that- but she seems one step ahead even though she isn't super athletic. And Bird was a tremendous passer and shooter, especially for his size. That's what KLS is too. She just seems to see things one step ahead and just incredibly fundamental. And she is a 2/3 now but hopefully can be also a 4. Bird being a 3/4.

Reaction Score

Swanier is one of my favorite huskys. She was fast!

Reaction Score
I would agree that if Chong is injured, we have our answer. If not the injury than what is wrong here. I have seen this kid play for years and the talent level is there, she just continues to look tentative and afraid on the court. I would blame that on Geno. Some kids will not succeed at this level constantly afraid that the first missed shot or missed defensive assignment will put you on the bench and in a very vicious dog house. I will say again that she seems to be Geno's whipping girl and if none have you have noticed she obviously does not respond well to the "tough love".
As for her leaving, I would love it, I would have loved to see her leave after last year and go on to be a star in the Big Ten or Big East instead of sitting on a National Championship bench. However I think she is a Husky for life.
Nice post.

For a while I thought I was in the LV Nation board. Where are BY UConn fans' generosity and hospitality?

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Why are you mystified if he thinks his 2nd best pg is Nurse and he thinks Butler and Ekmark might be better for the team? He pulled Stewie with 2:23 left. He replaced her with a center in Butler. You're mystified that he didn't pull Jefferson at the same time as Stewie so Chong col have gotten the extra one minute and 30 seconds? Chong seems to have moved to 3rd on the pg depth chart and 4th on the sg depth chart (assuming KLS sometimes plays sg - and Gabby can defend sg's).

I thought from past posts -- though we never discussed - I thought you have always been somewhat okay with Courtney? SO why a shock if she is beating out Saniya as the sg?
I didn't mean it as a criticism of Ekmark... But Saniya was a starter at one point for this team, and now she's barely getting 1 minute in a game where both Ekmark and Butler came off the bench before she did. I'm concerned that Saniya is actually somehow regressing.

I'm not sure if it's a confidence thing, the IT band injury, or something else, but Saniya has all the tools - speed, ball handling, shooting, etc. I'm glad Courtney is playing better, but disappointed for Saniya that she seems to be going backwards. If she keeps going in that direction, she won't get any PT at all. Blueballer had some nice comments and explanation for what may be going on with Saniya, which apparently has Geno mystified as well...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I would agree that if Chong is injured, we have our answer. If not the injury than what is wrong here. I have seen this kid play for years and the talent level is there, she just continues to look tentative and afraid on the court. I would blame that on Geno.
Clearly Geno dislikes her and is the only thing standing between her and success. This is the same Geno who made her a starter as a Sophomore and trusted her enough down the stretch against Md in the tightest game of the year so far. The words that keep coming up with Saniya are Trust and consistency. In your opinion, does Saniya bear any responsibility for the lack of trust and the inconsistent play?

Some kids will not succeed at this level constantly afraid that the first missed shot or missed defensive assignment will put you on the bench and in a very vicious dog house. I will say again that she seems to be Geno's whipping girl and if none have you have noticed she obviously does not respond well to the "tough love". As for her leaving, I would love it, I would have loved to see her leave after last year and go on to be a star in the Big Ten or Big East instead of sitting on a National Championship bench. However I think she is a Husky for life.
Some kids will succeed and have under these conditions, it is a very competitive environment where the standards are the same for everyone. Saniya a star in the B10 Or Big East? Really? Besides UCONN the AAC is not exactly a juggernaut. If she can't excel here the Big10 might be a wee bit more challenging.

Courtney doesn't strike me as a quitter. So let me see if I understand you correctly, it is the Talent that is keeping Courtney from starting but it is Geno that is holding back Saniya?

I'm pretty sure KLS and Saniya have the same coaching staff. I wonder why the results are so different?

Reaction Score
We each see the world differently, and I guess HairyDog views the world of WCBB as one of maximizing one's time on the court. For some women, that is the goal, especially if they have WNBA aspirations. For others, playing WCBB means camaraderie or a way to get a college education, and I'm sure there are other reasons as well. I react viscerally against your advice, HairyDog, because it suggests that somehow it's a waste of time or talent to be sitting on the bench. But one is underappreciated only if one feels that herself. No one else can or should be able to make you feel that way if you do not. Molly Bent turned down offers from Princeton and Brown (where she would have played immediately--and--let's not be coy--get a more prestigious diploma) to sit on the UConn bench for at least a couple of years. But she knows that the education she will get every afternoon with her UConn peers and the amazing coaching staff is, in its own way, one of the very best educations anyone can get in college--and I speak as a college professor.

If a kid is enjoying her friends and social circle, feels comfortable in the classroom, and, despite not getting playing time, enjoys practice (where everyone gets lots of playing time), she may well be entirely happy remaining in her current circumstances. It's NOT a waste of talent. What's a waste is feeling compelled to do something against your own instincts because you perceive that others have expectations of you. That's more than a waste; that's a tragedy.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Poor Courtney can't win. Last season some people questioned how she even got a scholarship. This season I guess she's finally good enough for a scholarship but will never start here so it's best to clear out her locker and go where she will be starting. I swear all you can do is laugh at some of this stuff.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Poor Courtney can't win. Last season some people questioned how she even got a scholarship. This season I guess she's finally good enough for a scholarship but will never start here so it's best to clear out her locker and go where she will be starting. I swear all you can do is laugh at some of this stuff.
Sometimes I wish I could laugh it off but it's really not funny. :(

Reaction Score
To several above, I said I would have loved for Chong to leave Uconn last season. I stand by that, that is what I would like her to do. However, I am not Sanyia Chong. She is very happy at Uconn and will no doubt stay through next year.
The college Prof talks about education etc, all well and good but my feeling is that an elite player, a player who scored almost 3,000 points in 4 years and was a National Player of the Year would have the drive to excel on the D1 college level, not sit on the bench.
Your athletic career is a fleeting thing and should be used to its' fullest advantage so that 20 years from now you are not sitting and wondering shoulda, woulda, coulda, but that is just my opinion.
There was a time several years ago, we had a younger member of the family who was to be drafted to play pro ball. The parents were dead set against him leaving college to sign. The young man was a very good student in a very good northeastern university working towards a degree in a very challenging academic major.
He asked me at a family function why I though he should leave school early and sign the pro contract. I told him look outside at the large assembled group of highly educated family members and as he did I asked him how many of the group had college degrees and beyond. He replied almost all. Then I asked how many ever played a pro sport. The answer...none. I told him to chase his dream and he would never regret it, you could always go back to college and get your degree, your athletic career is NOW.
Great athletes are special. Almost anybody can get a college degree in America.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I'm sure that the Chongs would be pleased to take your suggestions about Sania's career path under consideration.

Briefly.

Reaction Score
The college Prof talks about education etc, all well and good
Actually, I didn't talk about education, if you read carefully. I said if she feels happy with friends and comfortable with classes and enjoys practice. I did make the pitch that the informal education of UConn WCBB is priceless--sort of like our military academies in which no one makes the claim that the actual academics are the best in the country but that the overall experience of being there is unmatched. My point is utterly different from what you suggest I said if you had taken the time to read what someone beside yourself said: namely, that if she is happy, she should stay. The idea that I was arguing for a degree over a WNBA future is nonsense and you have shifted the debate to degree vs. non-degree to duck the main issue. After all, wherever she would transfer to, wouldn't she get a degree?

The world is full of people with talents that they don't use or develop fully--from artists, to musicians, to athletes, to public speakers etc. None of these talents claims a higher place in the pantheon of talents. What does claim a high place is happiness. Learning what makes you happy and how to be content with it may be the greatest gift any of us could ever receive. You obviously have regrets in your life, as do we all. But most of us don't try to see our lives--and more importantly, those of others--through them.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
To several above, I said I would have loved for Chong to leave Uconn last season. I stand by that, that is what I would like her to do. However, I am not Sanyia Chong. She is very happy at Uconn and will no doubt stay through next year.
The college Prof talks about education etc, all well and good but my feeling is that an elite player, a player who scored almost 3,000 points in 4 years and was a National Player of the Year would have the drive to excel on the D1 college level, not sit on the bench.
Your athletic career is a fleeting thing and should be used to its' fullest advantage so that 20 years from now you are not sitting and wondering shoulda, woulda, coulda, but that is just my opinion.
There was a time several years ago, we had a younger member of y the family who was to be drafted to play pro ball. The parents were dead set against him leaving college to sign. The young man was a very good student in a very good northeastern university working towards a degree in a very challenging academic major.
He asked me at a family function why I though he should leave school early and sign the pro contract. I told him look outside at the large assembled group of highly educated family members and as he did I asked him how many of the group had college degrees and beyond. He replied almost all. Then I asked how many ever played a pro sport. The answer...none. I told him to chase his dream and he would never regret it, you could always go back to college and get your degree, your athletic career is NOW.
Great athletes are special. Almost anybody can get a college degree in America.
A very touching, perhaps too convenient story. I'm not sure what that has to do with the issue at hand. I remind you of the Pinocchio fable when you write things like Saniya was a National Player of the year, or that she would be a "star" in the B10. Saniya has plenty of drive, enough to be great anywhere including at UCONN. Wish her well and keep it moving.

Reaction Score
Not too many souls can survive and succeed after coach said no trust on national TV. Geno is human after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom