Courtney Moving Ahead of Saniya in Depth Chart? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Courtney Moving Ahead of Saniya in Depth Chart?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Glad to see that Ekmark is coming along. That said, the rest of this thread concerning Chong is killing me. Something is wrong here physically of mentally. I do not think she is the type of kid who is going to respond in a positive manor to being Geno's whipping girl. That spot on All Access was disturbing, harsh and mean spirited. What do I know,? Geno is the genius here but knowing Chong and watching the total collapse of her game this year it is plan to see that "tough love" is not working.
None of use are at practice or with the team daily, maybe Geno or one of the very able assistants have tried another take with Chong, but whatever nothing seems to be working, maybe it is just her.
A crying shame though cause this this kid could have been great.
Don't have an answer, just a frustrated fan who longs for this young lady to live up to her ability.

Reaction Score
Glad to see that Ekmark is coming along. That said, the rest of this thread concerning Chong is killing me. Something is wrong here physically of mentally. I do not think she is the type of kid who is going to respond in a positive manor to being Geno's whipping girl. That spot on All Access was disturbing, harsh and mean spirited. What do I know,? Geno is the genius here but knowing Chong and watching the total collapse of her game this year it is plan to see that "tough love" is not working.
None of use are at practice or with the team daily, maybe Geno or one of the very able assistants have tried another take with Chong, but whatever nothing seems to be working, maybe it is just her.
A crying shame though cause this this kid could have been great.
Don't have an answer, just a frustrated fan who longs for this young lady to live up to her ability.

Couldn't disagree more. This kid is an amazing scoring talent. Geno knows it, and has said it. He's also praised Saniya for all the things she brings to UConn's game. IT band is supposed to heal with time and rest. Let's give her April through October to thoroughly heal, and we'll see an amazing Saniya hit the court. Right now, she's playing with a lot of pain. So her performance is courageous in light of her physical problems.

Rest up, and we'll see a new Saniya.

Reaction Score
I don't know if she will start or not but Saniya will be a huge part of the teams destiny next year. I know she has been inconsistent and has some success and some failure but next year she will be a senior with all that means regarding experience and understanding of how the offense works. I for one will be rooting hard for her.

She doesn't really know when she's going to be put in the games, if at all. That's understandable with the starting roster. She isn't needed to be a this season either. I see her doing well next season and providing more leadership.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
IT band is supposed to heal with time and rest.

No, not really. The way a person moves - over pronation - or compulsive use of certain training machines (leading to muscle imbalances) and a whole lot more goes into IT Band Syndrome. R&R will reduce symptoms (and athletic conditioning), but if the tightness of the IT Band is not relieved, the inflammation will jump up and grab you again. You may remember Rosemary stretching Saniya before games - she's try to take the tightness out of the IT band as it slips back and forth on the outer aspect of the knee (or the hip) to reduce the tendency to inflammation through running.

I got my IT a slightly exotic way. When I had a total knee replacement I had a leg lengthened 3/8 " as a restorative thing ... oops, tight IT Band!

Reaction Score
Did anyone notice that in today's game, Courtney Ekmark entered the game before Saniya Chong?

Did anyone watch the"All-Access" program and other SNY footage of practice and notice that Geno had far more negative comments (and filmed rebukes) concerning Saniya than any other player? And to me, it seemed that his comments about her were more serious -- not needling but actual criticism about whether she has earned the trust of her teammates and the coaches enough to play in critical games.

Regarding Courtney, I continue to notice what I have noticed all season -- she almost never makes a mental error. She is in the right place and makes the right decision. She his limited by her lack of speed and vertical leaping, but her 3-point shot is becoming more reliable, and she can make a contested layup.

The substitution pattern that seems to be in effect lately is a 7-player rotation while the game is competitive: the five starters plus Gabby and Napheesa. Leaving aside Pulido and Lawlor, the last three spots in the depth chart are occupied by Courtney, Natalie, and Saniya, and it looks increasingly like it will be in that order.

I'm glad that you mentioned that about Saniya. I was really bothered by Auriemma's comments. IMO, it's just not the kind of stuff to put out there for public consumption. CERTAIN THINGS SHOULD REMAIN BETWEEN COACH AND PLAYER. I can't remember him ever doing anything quite like that to a player.What on earth could she have done to precipitate such an a public "calling-out"? It was over the line. I see nothing to be gained by doing it, but do see that damage can be done.I felt terrible for Saniya.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm glad that you mentioned that about Saniya. I was really bothered by Auriemma's comments. IMO, it's just not the kind of stuff to put out there for public consumption. CERTAIN THINGS SHOULD REMAIN BETWEEN COACH AND PLAYER. I can't remember him ever doing anything quite like that to a player.What on earth could she have done to precipitate such an a public "calling-out"? It was over the line. I see nothing to be gained by doing it, but do see that damage can be done.I felt terrible for Saniya.

Charde Houston? Tina Charles?

He played Farris but he used to say to paraphrase "I can't always be playing 4 on 5 on offense." Referring to minute distribution.

Reaction Score
I somewhat recalled him calling TC to task. I believe she answered the call.

Reaction Score
I've never seen that take charge resolve in her eyes. Maybe next year if she sheds her health issues.

I think Saniya's demise was the Stanford game. She was the best pre-season practice player, started a few games early. She was our best player that game. KML was awful, so was Tuck, STewie, and Stokes. We lost, Saniya was benched. Her confidence must have felt like it got hit by a Mack truck. I don't think she has fully recovered.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Kia Stokes got the same treatment and she turned out ok

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Did anyone notice that in today's game, Courtney Ekmark entered the game before Saniya Chong?

Did anyone watch the"All-Access" program and other SNY footage of practice and notice that Geno had far more negative comments (and filmed rebukes) concerning Saniya than any other player? And to me, it seemed that his comments about her were more serious -- not needling but actual criticism about whether she has earned the trust of her teammates and the coaches enough to play in critical games.

Regarding Courtney, I continue to notice what I have noticed all season -- she almost never makes a mental error. She is in the right place and makes the right decision. She his limited by her lack of speed and vertical leaping, but her 3-point shot is becoming more reliable, and she can make a contested layup.

The substitution pattern that seems to be in effect lately is a 7-player rotation while the game is competitive: the five starters plus Gabby and Napheesa. Leaving aside Pulido and Lawlor, the last three spots in the depth chart are occupied by Courtney, Natalie, and Saniya, and it looks increasingly like it will be in that order.
There is no comparison comparing Courtney to a "healthy" Chong in physical basketball skills. A healthy Chong can do it all. Meagan said, during a broadcast, that she never saw a Uconn player who can switch hands off the dribble as well as she can. Then, throw in her speed and shooting. Time will tell, and I wish them both the best of luck.

Reaction Score
Kia Stokes got the same treatment and she turned out ok
You're right. But Kiah also played with a very short leash. And all people don't react the same way. Geno obviously doesn't trust Saniya. I don't know what goes on in practice, but 4 min. in the last game is harsh.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I certainly didn't notice Chong being singled out in the All Access program, she may have been in the clips that SNY chose, but it didn't register to me, because in every clip I have ever seen of practice, he is riding someone mercilessly, and whether cameras are in the gym or not doesn't seem to effect his demeanor at all. The report from Lobo of him making Stewart run the same drill over and over and over - something like 12 repetitions until she final got a stop or a teammate missed a shot is the same thing. He doesn't treat anyone like a delicate flower, and neither do the other coaches - there is never 'we'll get it right next time'. If you can't handle it you transfer. If you can, you learn life lessons. And if he stops doing it to you, it means you are no longer worth his time and effort and maybe you should find a new interest in life.

Reaction Score
I think Saniya's demise was the Stanford game. She was the best pre-season practice player, started a few games early. She was our best player that game. KML was awful, so was Tuck, STewie, and Stokes. We lost, Saniya was benched. Her confidence must have felt like it got hit by a Mack truck. I don't think she has fully recovered.
Not meaning to be contrary, but your comments got me going back (ugh!!) to re-watching the Stanford game (thanks a lot??). So, just to say that Stewie had a great game; she was certainly the best player on the court, even though she was being doubled and beaten up with impunity. Saniya had a terrific offensive game, but if you play the game to the bitter end you'll hear the announcers keep saying that Saniya was making a lot of defensive and mental mistakes (there were times when she looked like Lou did the first 6 weeks of this season--playing defense in the wrong zip code) and that Kia was a lot more effective on defense. Geno had Kia in when UConn had a lead close at the end (until she fouled out), so he had already made a judgment about their comparative strengths.

Subsequently, as KML recovered her health and shot, Morgan played herself into being Morgan after a year off, and Mo began demonstrating a solid 3 pointer, Kia's defense was clearly more important than Saniya's offense. I don't think Geno "blamed" Saniya for the loss (and I don't think you're suggesting that either), since he coached it in a way that acknowledged her strengths and weaknesses. If any single play lost that game for UConn, it was Kiah's decision to take that shot with a minute plus left in regulation after Geno signaled to run time.

Last edited:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
and it doesn't help that posters take those comments and run with them for yearrrrrs... Geno get praise cause he has won 10 championships but that doesn't mean his techniques work for everyone. Since he has other talent he can say what he wants about any of his reserve players. I figured that out when he gave up on Charde when Maya came along. His behavior towards other humans isn't always nice but since he's where he is these days he can say/do whatever he wish. Not every coach has that luxury (if that's what you want to call it). Do have anything nice to say don't say anything at all (feeding your fans flame)

Reaction Score
CERTAIN THINGS SHOULD REMAIN BETWEEN COACH AND PLAYER
and then there's that well-known Rebecca Lobo story, where he talks about in public what she assumed had been a confidential discussion. She concluded from that that Coach wasn't going to change; it was up to her to change....

Last edited:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Rebecca, Saniya and whoever else are totally different people... and Im sure as "celebrities" now they can look back at it and chuckle while holding the mic for ESPN or SNY (Kara and Meghan)

Reaction Score
Rebecca, Saniya and whoever else are totally different people... and Im sure as "celebrities" now they can look back at it and chuckle while holding the mic for ESPN or SNY (Kara and Meghan)
I agree on all counts. But obviously Rebecca was deeply hurt at the time, and I'm just reflecting that that's pretty much Geno's well-known style; recruits need to know that it could well happen to them. Geno called out De'Janae publicly about her academics....and then she transferred.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
There is no comparison comparing Courtney to a "healthy" Chong in physical basketball skills. A healthy Chong can do it all. Meagan said, during a broadcast, that she never saw a Uconn player who can switch hands off the dribble as well as she can. Then, throw in her speed and shooting. Time will tell, and I wish them both the best of luck.
What you say is quite true, and I think that explains why Geno makes harsh comments about Saniya and has not made them about Courtney, to my recollection. Courtney is doing everything she can with the body she was born with; Saniya is selling her talent far short.

Having said that, if you compare the two recently in terms of basketball productivity rather than basketball talent, there is also "no comparison", but the balance is reversed. Courtney is producing more in her minutes than Saniya is in hers. I replayed Saturday's Tulane game last night, and when Saniya did get in the game with about 2 minutes left, on the first defensive play she was guarding Tulane's best scorer (forget her name). That player cut to the basket and got a layup while Saniya's attention was elsewhere -- she was 10 feet away when the basket was scored. She can't blame that on her IT band injury. After all the flak that she has taken about her defense over the past two seasons, you would think that would be the last thing that she would let happen when she finally gets in a game.

At this point, if she finds herself at the end of the bench, she has nowhere to look but in the mirror for an explanation.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Saniya is inconsistent. That translates in Geno's world to a lack of trust. She's a great young person and I don't think anyone here was not at one time or another a rooter with high expectations. But expectations, unfulfilled over time, have to diminish, though dramatic turn arounds do occur in sports. Me, I'm going to focus on the stretch run at a historic goal and still wish for Saniya that she reaches her potential.

Reaction Score
IMHO Why would Saniya return next year? She has 2NC's, and a possible 3rd, which she is/was a minor part of. After all, sitting on the bench and watching others play, especially underclassmen, jump past you on the depth chart is not fun, at least not from from my personal experience in recreational/intermural leagues. Can Saniya transfer to a smaller college, with a scholarship, sit out next year, rest her IT band, get her 4 year degree, and then return for her 5th year, having the new college pay for the masters degree and also have a fun year of playing with lots of time on the court before her college, and basketball career ends?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree on all counts. But obviously Rebecca was deeply hurt at the time, and I'm just reflecting that that's pretty much Geno's well-known style; recruits need to know that it could well happen to them. Geno called out De'Janae publicly about her academics....and then she transferred.

He gets the players, he wins national championships, and his teams play like no other women's teams have ever played. And all of this could still be accomplished, IMO, without publicly calling out players. It's a part of his "style" that is ugly, and may have helped Tina, but didn't help Charde, and I think continues to hurt Saniya. It hurt Lobo, has hurt other players, and we really don't know if it has actually ever helped anyone.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Saniya is inconsistent. That translates in Geno's world to a lack of trust. She's a great young person and I don't think anyone here was not at one time or another a rooter with high expectations. But expectations, unfulfilled over time, have to diminish, though dramatic turn arounds do occur in sports. Me, I'm going to focus on the stretch run at a historic goal and still wish for Saniya that she reaches her potential.

Saniya isn't inconsistent, she's in pain. The young lady is hurting- a lot. Give her time to heal, and then we'll see. Do you remember how Coach Geno has praised her work ethic? How much change he said he saw in her? He understands that it's day-to-day in terms of what her painful leg can take. Coach cuts her slack, and so should BY.

Reaction Score

Saniya isn't inconsistent, she's in pain. The young lady is hurting- a lot. Give her time to heal, and then we'll see. Do you remember how Coach Geno has praised her work ethic? How much change he said he saw in her? He understands that it's day-to-day in terms of what her painful leg can take. Coach cuts her slack, and so should BY.

Reaction Score
He gets the players, he wins national championships, and his teams play like no other women's teams have ever played. And all of this could still be accomplished, IMO, without publicly calling out players. It's a part of his "style" that is ugly, and may have helped Tina, but didn't help Charde, and I think continues to hurt Saniya. It hurt Lobo, has hurt other players, and we really don't know if it has actually ever helped anyone.
For me, as a teacher, this is an incredibly important and stimulating point. I struggle constantly with what works better: the carrot or the stick; or, what is the teacher's moral responsibility to support or criticize. But teaching is different from coaching: I don't have a won-loss record or 10,000 fans watching my every class or social media commenting on every syllable I utter. And, of course, I can't morally or probably even legally, call out a student in front of others for academic issues.

But I do think Geno's style is by now so well known that potential recruits are well-advised to consider their feelings and inner resources before committing to UConn. Of course, not every 17 year old knows her true feelings and inner resources, which is why some do transfer and why others probably do graduate with bitter memories. But all in all, it's one legitimate way to run an athletic program--let it all out there publicly and survival of the fittest. Think of Bill Belichick and his BFF, Nick Saban.

Which is not to say that I don't share your deep sympathy for players who seem unable to deal with Geno's public criticisms. It's not the army and Geno isn't George Patton (although look what happened even to him!).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom