Courtney Moving Ahead of Saniya in Depth Chart? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Courtney Moving Ahead of Saniya in Depth Chart?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
IMHO Why would Saniya return next year? She has 2NC's, and a possible 3rd, which she is/was a minor part of. After all, sitting on the bench and watching others play, especially underclassmen, jump past you on the depth chart is not fun, at least not from from my personal experience in recreational/intermural leagues. Can Saniya transfer to a smaller college, with a scholarship, sit out next year, rest her IT band, get her 4 year degree, and then return for her 5th year, having the new college pay for the masters degree and also have a fun year of playing with lots of time on the court before her college, and basketball career ends?
No!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
As this discussion ensues, once again I think of the incomparable Red Auerbach. He made no bones about it -- "one set of rules for Russ and another set of rules for the rest of you."

What was a little bit subtle (he thought) was that he never criticized Russ or Cooz. I have Tommy Heinsohn on DVD explaining that Red considered them to be so completely driven that nothing need be said to motivate them. So, as Heinsohn tells it, he and Jim Luscotoff were "Red's whipping boys," innocent victims of Red's wrath, even when Russ or Cooz had it coming.

Such tactics worked for Red. Ditto for Geno's more recent version.;)

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
"Coach cuts her slack, and so should BY."

He cut her zero slack the other night. Negative comments while the camera was focused on her. I think one of two things is happening. Either he has given up on her or he is trying a different tack to motivate her.

"Saniya isn't inconsistent, she's in pain. The young lady is hurting- a lot"

She has probably been the most inconsistent player on the team for the last 3 years. If she is "hurting a lot and in pain", I don't think she would be playing.

Reaction Score
So are we saying that Geno hasn't been able to develop Chong?

They're some former players that have bitter memories of there time in the program but the program continues to roll on.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Beltway when it comes to guards Shea Ralph works with them...ie., Moriah giving Shea props at the end of the senior night game. Marissa and CD work with the post players... Geno just gets all the credit (good or bad).

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
He gets the players, he wins national championships, and his teams play like no other women's teams have ever played. And all of this could still be accomplished, IMO, without publicly calling out players. It's a part of his "style" that is ugly, and may have helped Tina, but didn't help Charde, and I think continues to hurt Saniya. It hurt Lobo, has hurt other players, and we really don't know if it has actually ever helped anyone.
Umm, yea we do. Just listen to the players talk about their time at UCONN. Very, very few complain about it. Yea, not always fun at the time, but looking back most are extremely grateful for their time at UCONN with Geno.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
As this discussion ensues, once again I think of the incomparable Red Auerbach. He made no bones about it -- "one set of rules for Russ and another set of rules for the rest of you."

What was a little bit subtle (he thought) was that he never criticized Russ or Cooz. I have Tommy Heinsohn on DVD explaining that Red considered them to be so completely driven that nothing need be said to motivate them. So, as Heinsohn tells it, he and Jim Luscotoff were "Red's whipping boys," innocent victims of Red's wrath, even when Russ or Cooz had it coming.

Such tactics worked for Red. Ditto for Geno's more recent version.;)

An aside. I saw Heinsohn in person have probably his worst night as a pro. It was at old MSG but not against the Knicks. It was one of the old 4 team doubleheaders with the Knicks in the nightcap. Heinsohn was something like 0-15 and fouled out. Probably anxious to get to a bar.

That same game, big Clyde Lovellette was ending his career in Boston. Beer belly and all, he got into the game in the last few minutes. The NY fans egged him to shoot. Of course, he launches his patented deep set shot. Swish and the crowd goes wild.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
@cohenzone. I remember Red describing a different Heinsohn game performance. Something like this:
"Tommy went 17 for 19."
"Wow! 17 baskets?"
"No. 19 touches, 17 shots."
"Oh."​

[Now someone is sure to transplant this conversation, change the names, and blog it somewhere to discredit some hotshot.]

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Permit just one more. In Jerry Kramer's book he explained how Vince Lombardi inspired his players:

"[Coach Lombardi] treated us all the same. Like dogs."

Reaction Score
"Coach cuts her slack, and so should BY."

He cut her zero slack the other night. Negative comments while the camera was focused on her. I think one of two things is happening. Either he has given up on her or he is trying a different tack to motivate her.

"Saniya isn't inconsistent, she's in pain. The young lady is hurting- a lot"

She has probably been the most inconsistent player on the team for the last 3 years. If she is "hurting a lot and in pain", I don't think she would be playing.

Very unfair. She was a freshman one year. And this year she's suffered through a very painful, chronic leg injury. Come on! I don't know whether you've been listening to Coach Geno very closely, or following UConn very closely. But the coach has been very complementary of Saniya, and he has backed that up by giving her lots of playing time. But sometimes she is in so much pain, she can't handle much time. And the coach has been very upfront about how she's trying to deal with that IT band injury. Let's stop piling on. She doesn't deserve it.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Very unfair. She was a freshman one year. And this year she's suffered through a very painful, chronic leg injury. Come on! I don't know whether you've been listening to Coach Geno very closely, or following UConn very closely. But the coach has been very complementary of Saniya, and he has backed that up by giving her lots of playing time. But sometimes she is in so much pain, she can't handle much time. And the coach has been very upfront about how she's trying to deal with that IT band injury. Let's stop piling on. She doesn't deserve it.
As in the case that I cited previously (in Saturday's game, where she loses her defender and gives up an uncontested layup on her first defensive possession when she gets in the game), not all of her problems can be attributed to her injury. In the SNY footage, a lot of Geno's complaints about her in practice were similar ("Saniya, how could you lose her?"). The injury cannot become an all-purpose excuse for anything that she does wrong.

Saniya is extremely talented, and she has on some occasions (like the end of the Maryland game) made a critical contribution to the team's success. But she hasn't done it often enough to be relied upon in those situations. When Kiah Stokes finally demonstrated that while she would never be a big scorer (regardless of her ability to do that), but would CONSISTENTLY be an excellent rebounder and shot blocker, she got major minutes. Until her senior year, she wasn't even doing those things other than in spurts.

I'm sure that there are some UConn alumnae (not to mention those who transferred) who did not benefit from Geno's style, and found it to be painful with no compensating benefit. But obviously they are not in the majority, or the program would not be as successful as it has been. Geno doesn't treat everyone the same (remember how Nykesha Sales and Asjha Jones were "precious"), but it would be silly to think that he can tune his style so that absolutely every player gets the optimal inputs for her personality. If his style works for 90% of those who come to UConn, that is all that can be expected. If some talented recruits (maybe Diamond Deshields or Kelsey Bone) avoid UConn because they don't like the style that they see, that is probably a good thing for all concerned.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Focusing only on Courtney for a moment, is it blasphemous of me to suggest a very strong similarity between her skills and Maria Conlon's? As you think about my suggestion -- and before you banish me to Knoxville -- I ask only that you be reminded that Courtney is now a sophomore. Two more years as a Husky.;)

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Focusing only on Courtney for a moment, is it blasphemous of me to suggest a very strong similarity between her skills and Maria Conlon's? As you think about my suggestion -- and before you banish me to Knoxville -- I ask only that you be reminded that Courtney is now a sophomore. Two more years as a Husky.;)
A good analogy. I will raise you one -- how about Mel Thomas? (Yes, I've suggested that previously.)

Reaction Score
Focusing only on Courtney for a moment, is it blasphemous of me to suggest a very strong similarity between her skills and Maria Conlon's?

Conlon got a LOT more playing time her first 2 years than Ekmark.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Conlon got a LOT more playing time her first 2 years than Ekmark.

True. I believe that a freshman injury, then Moriah, Kia and (until recently) Saniya all playing well limited her PT. Next year could be different. We'll see.

Reaction Score
True. I believe that a freshman injury, then Moriah, Kia and (until recently) Saniya all playing well limited her PT. Next year could be different. We'll see.

Conlon was the 4th guard behind Sue, Diana, and KJ. And yet she still played her frosh year - even getting minutes in the 1st half of the National Semifinal.
It was only later that a Husky myth developed that she was a low-talent Rudy-like figure.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

First off - nobody is piling on anyone. Just relating the facts. While Auriemma was very complimentary at the start of the season relating how hard she was practicing and commenting on how much she had progressed, he seems to have changed his tune. 'Cause that ain't what he's saying now. He was downright, flat out, no tact, critical during either the Geno Show or the All Access show. I actually felt sorry for her. You must have dozed off for that part.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Saniya isn't inconsistent, she's in pain. The young lady is hurting- a lot. Give her time to heal, and then we'll see. Do you remember how Coach Geno has praised her work ethic? How much change he said he saw in her? He understands that it's day-to-day in terms of what her painful leg can take. Coach cuts her slack, and so should BY.

Hey, I was going to let it go, but you posted it twice! Twice. And got two different sets of likes! Saniya was inconsistent long before the IT Band Syndrome showed up. We all come to feel a real kinship for these young people who commit to give their all to UConn WCBB, but we should be reasonably objective about their development and capability, otherwise it turns into this participation trophy kind of thing, and that does a disservice to those who truly excel.

Reaction Score

They're some former players that have bitter memories of there time in the program but the program continues to roll on.
Almost sounds like the Tennessee fans here.

Reaction Score

Some might say Chong didn't develop/may never develop under Geno's HOF coaching.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Just to set the record straight - Maria as a freshman got a glorious 83 minutes in total, which clearly overwhelms Courtney's 272 minutes as a freshman! :rolleyes:
Maria's sophomore season she increased dramatically to 691 minutes as she became the first guard off the bench with Johnson gone. The only other guards were freshman Ashley Valley and walk-on Stacey Marrron. So far this year Courtney has 239 minutes with hopefully 10 more games to play, both Chong and Samuelson.

Reaction Score
Hey, I was going to let it go, but you posted it twice! Twice. And got two different sets of likes! Saniya was inconsistent long before the IT Band Syndrome showed up. We all come to feel a real kinship for these young people who commit to give their all to UConn WCBB, but we should be reasonably objective about their development and capability, otherwise it turns into this participation trophy kind of thing, and that does a disservice to those who truly excel.

The two postings came from an odd computer notice. Not sure exactly what happened there.

I've got to say that this kid could be amazing. Freshman year is freshman year. She's been shooting close to 40% from 3. I'm gonna make you a gentlemen's bet that this kid, with proper rest, will really surprise next year.

Courtney and Maria: In my opinion Courtney Ekmark has far better tools than Maria Conlon had. Ekmark is big, strong, a great outside shooter, and with rising confidence, she could be a real surprise. Keep in mind that Ekmark was highly rated in high school, or at least until she got homeschooled her senior year (good idea, not?). She is 6'0" in height, can rebound, handle the ball, and shoot 3's. And she's not slow. And keep in mind the miracles that Coach Geno and his staff work over four years with virtually every guard who comes through. Remember Ketia Swanier? She was utterly hopeless as a freshman, not much better as a sophomore. But as a senior, she was an All American.

Next year is going to be a completely different world. Lots of kids are going to get a lot more playing time, and will be called to rise to the challenge. You'll see.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
The two postings came from an odd computer notice. Not sure exactly what happened there.

Don't think you meant it. We've all been in the double post "triangle" mystery. Just my pathetic effort for a yuck. And I'll not bet against Saniya and it would be a really long lasting good feeling for me to see her come on and shine. Just the odds are against it. Oh, and your inference that Freshman Year doesn't count: well we have a couple of freshman counting this year and both of them were held to account big time as I recall.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

I've got to say that this kid could be amazing. Freshman year is freshman year. She's been shooting close to 40% from 3. I'm gonna make you a gentlemen's bet that this kid, with proper rest, will really surprise next year.

Courtney and Maria: In my opinion Courtney Ekmark has far better tools than Maria Conlon had. Ekmark is big, strong, a great outside shooter, and with rising confidence, she could be a real surprise. Keep in mind that Ekmark was highly rated in high school, or at least until she got homeschooled her senior year (good idea, not?). She is 6'0" in height, can rebound, handle the ball, and shoot 3's. And she's not slow. And keep in mind the miracles that Coach Geno and his staff work over four years with virtually every guard who comes through. Remember Ketia Swanier? She was utterly hopeless as a freshman, not much better as a sophomore. But as a senior, she was an All American.

Next year is going to be a completely different world. Lots of kids are going to get a lot more playing time, and will be called to rise to the challenge. You'll see.

My last post on this - Saniya Chong has played in 100 games in a UConn uniform. Her play over the last 5 games is indicative of why she isn't getting more PT. In 5 games she has played but 49 minutes I don't know if this is due to a nagging injury but after hearing Auriemma's comments my guess would be that it isn't. In the 49 minutes that she has played she has made two baskets on 2 of 11 shooting (18%). She has scored a total of 9 points (1.8 ppg). I will concede your point that she is not inconsistent because it's obvious that she is. I have to believe that if the coaches had more confidence in her play (I don't think they question her ability) she would get a lot more PT.

I also believe that there is not a single UConn fan on this message board that doesn't want Chong to not just succeed but to excel. Certainly no one wants her to struggle the way she has but we all have eyes. I would like to see her fill up the stat sheet but reality is - it's just not happening.

I don't make gentlemen's bets, but I would be up for a high end single malt against your favorite libation that not much is going to change unless she has some sort of basketball epiphany.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom