Courtney Moving Ahead of Saniya in Depth Chart? | The Boneyard

Courtney Moving Ahead of Saniya in Depth Chart?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Did anyone notice that in today's game, Courtney Ekmark entered the game before Saniya Chong?

Did anyone watch the"All-Access" program and other SNY footage of practice and notice that Geno had far more negative comments (and filmed rebukes) concerning Saniya than any other player? And to me, it seemed that his comments about her were more serious -- not needling but actual criticism about whether she has earned the trust of her teammates and the coaches enough to play in critical games.

Regarding Courtney, I continue to notice what I have noticed all season -- she almost never makes a mental error. She is in the right place and makes the right decision. She his limited by her lack of speed and vertical leaping, but her 3-point shot is becoming more reliable, and she can make a contested layup.

The substitution pattern that seems to be in effect lately is a 7-player rotation while the game is competitive: the five starters plus Gabby and Napheesa. Leaving aside Pulido and Lawlor, the last three spots in the depth chart are occupied by Courtney, Natalie, and Saniya, and it looks increasingly like it will be in that order.

Reaction Score
Did anyone notice that in today's game, Courtney Ekmark entered the game before Saniya Chong?

Did anyone watch the"All-Access" program and other SNY footage of practice and notice that Geno had far more negative comments (and filmed rebukes) concerning Saniya than any other player? And to me, it seemed that his comments about her were more serious -- not needling but actual criticism about whether she has earned the trust of her teammates and the coaches enough to play in critical games.

Regarding Courtney, I continue to notice what I have noticed all season -- she almost never makes a mental error. She is in the right place and makes the right decision. She his limited by her lack of speed and vertical leaping, but her 3-point shot is becoming more reliable, and she can make a contested layup.

The substitution pattern that seems to be in effect lately is a 7-player rotation while the game is competitive: the five starters plus Gabby and Napheesa. Leaving aside Pulido and Lawlor, the last three spots in the depth chart are occupied by Courtney, Natalie, and Saniya, and it looks increasingly like it will be in that order.
Not sure that will be the way it turns out, but Courtney's play has been noticeably better to me too. I think she'll be a dependable reserve next year, if not this year.

Reaction Score
During the All Access show, Saniya mentioned her confidence, but it's really her concentration or lack of focus that sinks her. She has plenty of confidence when it comes to shooting. There was a play on Wednesday where she let a bouncing ball go only for an SMU player to grab it before it went out of bounds. A junior heading into her senior year should not make that kind of mistake. I once thought Saniya would get Mo's starting guard spot next year, but maybe it makes more sense to give it to freshman Dangerfield and let her learn on the job versus a one and done Saniya.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I wouldn't put much faith in what The PuppetMaster is saying publicly (he'd make a great Super-Villain for the next Batman movie). I suspect he is trying to get a rise out of Tommy. He clearly has faith in her, but he needs the most he can get out of the few minutes he can risk using her; at least, that is my opinion. He needs her next season, so limits her minutes to not cause further injury, but she still needs to learn and grow.

Ek is just waiting for that breakout to be the player we all think she can be. I think she has finally realized that she needs to contribute individually in order to be effective as a distributor; if she can't draw the defense, they'll just collapse on her passing lanes. She should contribute this post season, and be an effective distraction to get Lou breathing space next season. At least that is what I am seeing, right now. She is looking more confident every game.

As for the rest of the bench...SOMEONE TEACH BUTLER TO KEEP THE BALL UP. Stop trying to dribble!!! SOMEONE bring Bill Cartwright into the gym and get him to teach her to keep the ball HIGH ABOVE the defender's hands!!

'nuff said.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
This year for Chong as for Natalie has just been an impossible situation - she has looked good at times, but with the can she/can't she play and practice through December and into January, it must be really difficult to keep up with the rest of the team and establish any kind of rhythm. She has had some nice outings but has been unable to sustain anything or really build momentum. Being less than 100% can be a huge drag on the mental side as well.

Reaction Score
Honestly, I wouldn't put much faith in what The PuppetMaster is saying publicly (he'd make a great Super-Villain for the next Batman movie). I suspect he is trying to get a rise out of Tommy. He clearly has faith in her, but he needs the most he can get out of the few minutes he can risk using her; at least, that is my opinion. He needs her next season, so limits her minutes to not cause further injury, but she still needs to learn and grow.

Ek is just waiting for that breakout to be the player we all think she can be. I think she has finally realized that she needs to contribute individually in order to be effective as a distributor; if she can't draw the defense, they'll just collapse on her passing lanes. She should contribute this post season, and be an effective distraction to get Lou breathing space next season. At least that is what I am seeing, right now. She is looking more confident every game.

As for the rest of the bench...SOMEONE TEACH BUTLER TO KEEP THE BALL UP. Stop trying to dribble!!! SOMEONE bring Bill Cartwright into the gym and get him to teach her to keep the ball HIGH ABOVE the defender's hands!!

'nuff said.
This x1000. You get the ball at a height no one else can reach and then you bring the ball down to dribble it where even a small child could get at it? It's like you have one advantage over 99.9% of other basketball players - height. Use it. She does have a nice jump shot, but needs to stop buttering her hands before the game.

Reaction Score
I don't know if she will start or not but Saniya will be a huge part of the teams destiny next year. I know she has been inconsistent and has some success and some failure but next year she will be a senior with all that means regarding experience and understanding of how the offense works. I for one will be rooting hard for her.

Reaction Score
So who is going to be the PG next season? Please tell me.
This is one of two questions that is bothering me most.
Will Kia be the PG? Or Chong? or Xtal? Or will it be by committee?

The other question is what happens if Natalie is injured or fouls out.
All teams will play us physical.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I don't know why, but Saniya has been careless with the ball the past 2-3 weeks. I'm fine with her shot, but not her ball handling.

Courtney seems to be progressing. She looks like the shooter we heard about in high school.

Reaction Score
I don't know if she will start or not but Saniya will be a huge part of the teams destiny next year. I know she has been inconsistent and has some success and some failure but next year she will be a senior with all that means regarding experience and understanding of how the offense works. I for one will be rooting hard for her.
I don't see how she could play a huge part if she doesn't start. Better to invest the time in younger players with potential.

Reaction Score
This x1000. You get the ball at a height no one else can reach and then you bring the ball down to dribble it where even a small child could get at it? It's like you have one advantage over 99.9% of other basketball players - height. Use it. She does have a nice jump shot, but needs to stop buttering her hands before the game.
Agreed about her jump shot. I guess I am little hard on Butler, but only because I see so much good, and then something incredibly bad.

Tina Charles' game changed immensely when she learned this lesson, and again when she developed that jumper of hers. Butler already has the latter, and should be able to use it either score easily or freeze a defender and take an easy layup and foul.

Reaction Score
With the love fest for Courtney, I hereby nominate her for PG next year. Even before this person set foot on Campus so many annointed her as the Savior. Of what, I never understood. She lacks the defensive skills, quickness and b.handling sophistication to run this team and most of the currently ranked teams. And it is unlikely that she will develop these skills. We are not a team that can put someone on the outside to shoot threes- we have distain (rightfully) for such things. And she is not that deadly a shooter. This isn't high school. Geno once made a comment about a player (her, w/out name) who took a year off to wk w/ a personal trainer. Needless to say, he saw very little in such practices.
As for Chong, I too have noticed some bad plays, but foot, hand and back injuries can work their tricks on even the best of us. Try diving or suddently exerting your self for a loose ball and experience the pain- if you can pull-off the feat. There is no one coming back next year who is not in need of off season improvement. Nurse is a bit tired/burnt-out probably from too much bb and some role changes. Perhaps that may extend well into the summer again. Remember is was the last to arrive in Storrs! We all know who the in-coming pt will be- sooner or later.

Reaction Score
Neither Saniya nor Courtney is nimble enough to blanket a strong opposing point guard--something that Mo's been a master at. This leads to compensatory match-ups on defense and rethinking offense. Until Crystal is battle-worthy, I'm thinking Kia is defending the other team's point guard, and that may mean she also plays the role of bringing the ball up, helped by Lou. (I'm avoiding the term "point guard" because we don't need to be boxed into existing patterns.) With Gabby, Napheesa, and Natalie/Kyla, this is a biggish team, but one with a lot of interior speed. Eventually, Crystal obviously starts and then we call her the "point guard," though she will be a work in progress, as are all freshmen. But if she starts, someone needs to sit, and that may prove an unattractive alternative, because I believe that Gabby and Napheesa will both be monsters next year--both individually and as a combined force. So, we need to remember that, while we fans focus on "who starts," Geno scoffs that that's a concern for high schoolers. He's got at 7 impact players next year (Kia, Lou, Gabby, Napheesa, Kyla, Crystal, Natalie) and will find time and opportunity for them all.

Reaction Score
Neither Saniya nor Courtney is nimble enough to blanket a strong opposing point guard--something that Mo's been a master at. This leads to compensatory match-ups on defense and rethinking offense. Until Crystal is battle-worthy, I'm thinking Kia is defending the other team's point guard, and that may mean she also plays the role of bringing the ball up, helped by Lou. (I'm avoiding the term "point guard" because we don't need to be boxed into existing patterns.) With Gabby, Napheesa, and Natalie/Kyla, this is a biggish team, but one with a lot of interior speed. Eventually, Crystal obviously starts and then we call her the "point guard," though she will be a work in progress, as are all freshmen. But if she starts, someone needs to sit, and that may prove an unattractive alternative, because I believe that Gabby and Napheesa will both be monsters next year--both individually and as a combined force. So, we need to remember that, while we fans focus on "who starts," Geno scoffs that that's a concern for high schoolers. He's got at 7 impact players next year (Kia, Lou, Gabby, Napheesa, Kyla, Crystal, Natalie) and will find time and opportunity for them all.

I gotta tell ya that Saniya is a tremendous talent. I will never forget seeing what a phenom she was in high school. Perhaps she didn't have to play defense back then. But she is amazing. Let her have the summer off to recuperate and heal her band injury. I'm telling ya, a healthy Saniya is going to be amazing. And as to her ball-handling abilities, did you all watch how she threaded the Tulane press last night? How she got around double-teams? She's doing just fine. Let the pain subside, and you'll see a dynamo on the court.

Having said that, Eckmark is going to do a great job next year as well. She's acquiring the one thing she hasn't had so far: confidence. She now knows she can come into a game and drop in threes. She knows she can handle the ball. And she knows how UConn plays basketball. She's going to be a completely different player come November. Just watch.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Comparing ANYONE to Moriah's defensive ability is a little crazy, because they will all come up looking slow footed and weak, and I would say that includes the last great defender Kelly Faris who compensated by adding strength and more size to what Moriah has. Moriah's speed, quickness, and anticipation, her ability to mirror, and her boundless energy are not going to be seen next year, and thinking anyone on the team can provide those qualities is delusional. Our incoming freshman will disappoint if that is the criteria, and Chong, Williams, Ekmark, and Nurse do not possess those qualities either. So our defense will certainly look different, but it does every year, and Uconn can still be a great defensive team, just as it was before Moriah arrived.

The art of Geno and CD and the coaching staff is adapting both offensive and defensive systems to the capabilities AND liabilities of the players on the team and getting the team to function in unison so no defender is left on an island. Geno as well as any coach I have ever seen is able to play to his team's and his players' strengths and to mask their weaknesses. Can a good opponent figure out how to exploit the weaknesses, or disrupt the team unity - of course, it happens all the time, but can they sustain that through four quarters - very rarely.

Chong proved she can lock onto a very good offensive player, Courtney can play very good positional defense and her height gives her the ability to play off a little to compensate for slower foot speed, Nurse is a bulldog who can frustrate and intimidate (and has drawn a number of charges in the last few games), Lou plays even further off but has the height to really intimidate jump shooters and the width to keep them in front of her, Gabby has great speed and anticipation and though she lacks Moriah's lateral quickness, she has hands almost as quick. And we'll see what Bent and Dangerfield bring to the table.

Next year's team is going to look very different from this years team - there is no duplicating what seniors Breanna and Moriah bring to the table. The offense will look different and the defense will look different, just as the team changed fundamentally when Dolson graduated and when Bird, Cash, Jones, and Williams graduated - the results can still be great. Or maybe they resemble more what the team looked like after Moore graduated or when DT graduated, which was still pretty darned good. Not NC good but very enjoyable just the same.

Lets enjoy the next ten (hopefully) games, and worry about next year when this one is over.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I gotta tell ya that Saniya is a tremendous talent. I will never forget seeing what a phenom she was in high school.

Hold on to the memory. Tenn has 7 HS AAs. I would like nothing better than for Saniya to catch fire, but the probabilities are that what we see now is what we get.

Reaction Score
I've never seen that take charge resolve in her eyes. Maybe next year if she sheds her health issues.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I didn't see Geno's comments. They however may be meant to be a clarion call only for Saniya. My frustration with Saniya has always been her defense. I mean boy does she get beat off the dribble, and she's often late to cover the perimeter shot. Offensively she has this unique ability to slither through defenders inside and has a nice shot to and beyond the arc. Her offense to me has never been and issue. But man, her defense has not improved to my eyes. What Geno likes about KLS is her ability to play defense when her shot fails her. How she stays in front of the ball handler and doesn't foul, how her long arms are disruptive, how she goes for loose balls etc. Courtney also gets beat off the dribble, but does many little positional things that doesn't make her quite the liability Saniya is. Hopefully the summer will be a season of improvement for both young ladies.

Reaction Score
Chong is in nowhere land on this team and has been for a while.........There is something missing because she makes the same mistakes over and over every year. [ ]

Last edited by a moderator:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I gotta tell ya that Saniya is a tremendous talent. I will never forget seeing what a phenom she was in high school. Perhaps she didn't have to play defense back then. But she is amazing. Let her have the summer off to recuperate and heal her band injury. I'm telling ya, a healthy Saniya is going to be amazing. And as to her ball-handling abilities, did you all watch how she threaded the Tulane press last night? How she got around double-teams? She's doing just fine. Let the pain subside, and you'll see a dynamo on the court.
IT Band Syndrome doesn't heal - you just learn to mange the pain. I speak from experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom