Could Big XII expand to 16 in order to fend off threats? | The Boneyard

Could Big XII expand to 16 in order to fend off threats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
They would have to steal from the American or Mountain West, but Boise State isn't great academically so basically it could be six American schools. I feel that E. Carolina, Tulsa, and Tulane would have little chance, so the six spots go to 6 of 8 schools:

I think these would be the six: UConn, Cincy, Memphis, Temple, UCF, USF. (Texas would not want recruiting rivalries with Houston or SMU.)

East vs. West would lead to very uneven divisions, but with deregulation the Big XII could have four divisions with the two best division winners meeting in the CCG. (9 game conference schedule: other three in division, other division in your half of the country (E/W) every year, two swap games)

Northwest:
Kansas
Kansas St.
Oklahoma
Oklahoma St.

Northeast:
UConn
Cincy
Iowa State
Temple

Southwest:
Texas
Texas Tech
Baylor
TCU

Southeast:
West Virginia
Memphis
UCF
USF

shizzle787

Reaction Score
No way in bloody hell UConn, Temple, USF, UCF get in Big 12 ahead of BYU and Houston. Just none at all.
BYU is never getting in as they refuse to play on Sundays, and the Big XII wants all sports or none.

Reaction Score
They would have to steal from the American or Mountain West, but Boise State isn't great academically so basically it could be six American schools. I feel that E. Carolina, Tulsa, and Tulane would have little chance, so the six spots go to 6 of 8 schools:

I think these would be the six: UConn, Cincy, Memphis, Temple, UCF, USF. (Texas would not want recruiting rivalries with Houston or SMU.)

East vs. West would lead to very uneven divisions, but with deregulation the Big XII could have four divisions with the two best division winners meeting in the CCG. (9 game conference schedule: other three in division, other division in your half of the country (E/W) every year, two swap games)

Northwest:
Kansas
Kansas St.
Oklahoma
Oklahoma St.

Northeast:
UConn
Cincy
Iowa State
Temple

Southwest:
Texas
Texas Tech
Baylor
TCU

Southeast:
West Virginia
Memphis
UCF
USF
quite the contrary I've heard UT is pushing for UH to replace the gap left by aTm and the SEC.

Reaction Score
BYU is never getting in as they refuse to play on Sundays, and the Big XII wants all sports or none.
all sports or none......they may not even have a conference w/o adding a national brand like BYU along with the couple others still looking or P5 homes who add value.Personally i like Temple but doubt the Big 12 is in the cards.

Reaction Score
No way. Texas may allow the addition of Houston and Memphis as neither would dilute their power within the XII (Houston would actually add to their political power in the state house) in order to make others happy in allowing for a conference championship game; but, an expansion to 16 would take away more power from Texas than it adds and the XII is the Long Horns' bewitch.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
No way. Texas may allow the addition of Houston and Memphis as neither would dilute their power within the XII (Houston would actually add to their political power in the state house) in order to make others happy in allowing for a conference championship game; but, an expansion to 16 would take away more power from Texas than it adds and the XII is the Long Horns' bewitch.
Well, if they did add those two, would that convince Louisville to jump ship from the ACC (and BYU to start playing on Sundays) to join the conference, leaving a spot open for us in the ACC?

shizzle787

Reaction Score
quite the contrary I've heard UT is pushing for UH to replace the gap left by aTm and the SEC.
Interesting (I assume Memphis would go with Houston) but I could be wrong.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
Well, if they did add those two, would that convince Louisville to jump ship from the ACC (and BYU to start playing on Sundays) to join the conference, leaving a spot open for us in the ACC?

Unfortunately, no.

UConn is B1G or bust at this point. XII will never go to 16 without hitting the 12 and 14 landmarks first, there's just not enough cohesiveness and business savvy in the conference to make it happen (plus the lack of quality teams that actually add to the TV contract).

If UT was ever willing to morph the LHN into a XII Network theres actually some pretty decent schools within larger markets remaining that could help bridge the conference together. Again for these networks, in the beginning stages it is not so much about who is actually watching the programming on the networks, but rather the carriage fees they can get within a marketplace.

Temple (Philly)
UConn (Hartford/New Haven)
USF (Tampa)
Memphis (Memphis)
UCF (Orlando)

leaves one remaining hole to fill between ECU/Boise/Tulane/Houston/SMU/BYU. BYU would bring the most value by far to a TV network but as stated above their refusal to play on Sundays in any sport will never allow them into a league.

This will not happen but I'm going to write it anyways. One to keep an eye on as a potential "sleeper" if you will is the University of New Mexico. They were up for serious discussion when the XII originally formed if I remember correctly and actually possess a bigger media market in Albuquerque (#47) than that of New Orleans (#51) Memphis (#50) Louisville (#49) with a growing population.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
BYU would bring the most value by far to a TV network but as stated above their refusal to play on Sundays in any sport will never allow them into a league.
I hear this a lot and can't help but wonder why this is a big deal? Other than conference tournament time, I just don't see no Sunday games as an issue. I'm not saying it isn't an issue for a potential conference suitor, I'm just a little too slow to see why. Is it primarily a conference tourney thing?

Reaction Score
Had an interesting thought the other day when looking at the rankings.

Right now Clemson is sitting at 6 and FSU is at 9. If FSU upsets Clemson, but loses on the road in the swamp to Florida in the last game of the season, it's entirely possible the ACC champ gets left out of the playoff.

Last year an undefeated FSU team got into the playoff with the No. 3 seed behind 1-loss SEC and Pac12 programs. The ACC this year has clearly been the weakest of the P5.

If the Big 12 champ gets in over the ACC champ I wonder if FSU and Clemson start rethinking a move to the Big 12?

Those are the only two programs the Big 12 could poach that would bring stability to the conference.

Reaction Score
I hear this a lot and can't help but wonder why this is a big deal? Other than conference tournament time, I just don't see no Sunday games as an issue. I'm not saying it isn't an issue for a potential conference suitor, I'm just a little too slow to see why. Is it primarily a conference tourney thing?

Major deal for Olympic sports. Just go to UConnHuskies.com and see what's going on this Sunday.

We got W Tennis, M Tennis, W Soccer, W Volleyball, W Hockey and Field Hockey all playing in one day.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Had an interesting thought the other day when looking at the rankings.

Right now Clemson is sitting at 6 and FSU is at 9. If FSU upsets Clemson, but loses on the road in the swamp to Florida in the last game of the season, it's entirely possible the ACC champ gets left out of the playoff.

Last year an undefeated FSU team got into the playoff with the No. 3 seed behind 1-loss SEC and Pac12 programs. The ACC this year has clearly been the weakest of the P5.

If the Big 12 champ gets in over the ACC champ I wonder if FSU and Clemson start rethinking a move to the Big 12?

Those are the only two programs the Big 12 could poach that would bring stability to the conference.
If they do that, we are into the ACC no questions asked. But if the Big XII were to poach those two, they would probably poach Georgia Tech and Virginia Tech as well, leaving the ACC as primarily a basketball conference.

Reaction Score
FSU & Clemson have little interest in the B12 & don't want to pay a large exit fee on top of getting out of their GOR. A lot can happen over the next month or so, the Pac 12 & SEC could end up with 2 loss champions, Notre Dame could run the table & place themselves in the CFP conversation. The only thing that keeps you alive is to win every week period

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Major deal for Olympic sports. Just go to UConnHuskies.com and see what's going on this Sunday.
We got W Tennis, M Tennis, W Soccer, W Volleyball, W Hockey and Field Hockey all playing in one day.

But it's 1 school out of a conference of 12 (or more). When you play BYU, you play on Saturday. Given their national following, it just doesn't strike me as it should be this enormous hurdle/sticking point given their potential or probble value.

Reaction Score
But it's 1 school out of a conference of 12 (or more). When you play BYU, you play on Saturday. Given their national following, it just doesn't strike me as it should be this enormous hurdle/sticking point given their potential or probble value.

If BYU were in Dallas I would agree with you. But it's in Provo, Utah so given the travel involved not being able to play Sunday is also taking Saturday off the table as well. Unlike football teams that only play once a week, your Olympic sports teams play 2-3 times so you're now looking at one school that has only 5 days a week to schedule games.

Might not seem like a big deal, but it's a scheduling nightmare.

Also, if you want to talk overall value, not playing on Sunday's hurts your ability to monetize basketball games in the winter. If CBS has a 12 Noon time slot on Saturday and Sunday and has to choose between BYU-Texas, Florida-Kentucky, Georgetown-Villanova or UNC-Duke and BYU-Texas can only play on Saturday, you better believe they are going to be the odd game out each time.

Reaction Score
FWIW Brett McMurphy has said that all of his sources tell him that the BXII will not expand west ... that BYU is out as an expansion candidate.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
FWIW Brett McMurphy has said that all of his sources tell him that the BXII will not expand west ... that BYU is out as an expansion candidate.
I'm not sure about that. I believe they sent an invitation to Air Force, and they DECLINED.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure about that. I believe they sent an invitation to Air Force, and they DECLINED.

Where are you getting that from? Seriously, that is the first I have ever heard of such a statement.

Also, nobody has a better realignment track record than Brett McMurphy, so if he's saying something I would give him a listen.

Reaction Score
Here's the quote .. which doesn't seem to leave much in the middle.
"The only thing I know for certain is that the Big 12 does not want to expand west. I’ve said that 100 times and I’ll say it 100 more. I know everybody talks about BYU, but everyone I talk to, all my sources, they tell me BYU is not an option. So then the question is, if the Big 12 does expand, who are the two teams they go toward?"

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Isn't that why they added TCU? or is my timing off
No TCU was coming to the OBE and thats a whole different story...but the TCU'a AD made a personal drinking night plea to Deloss Dodds....the lockout of the Big12 is last yrs playoff and Okies dismay set off a whole new political CR scenario..besides Houston and DFW are entirely different markets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom