Could Big XII expand to 16 in order to fend off threats? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Could Big XII expand to 16 in order to fend off threats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I just question your need to respond. I mean think about it....does it really matter? Sometimes an argument is so bad that not giving a response is how you win...in this particular case, participating is called losing. If you don't get that...well, I certainly won't be adding my next $0.0000000002 to this thread.

Reaction Score
I just question your need to respond. I mean think about it....does it really matter? Sometimes an argument is so bad that not giving a response is how you win...in this particular case, participating is called losing. If you don't get that...well, I certainly won't be adding my next $0.0000000002 to this thread.

You do realize this is a board about realignment, right? You don't think people should say anything when others are looking at the chances for schools? I don't get that.

Reaction Score
If Texas has its way, Houston will be strongly considered considered. U Texas has lost a lot of clout lately in the Texas State house as former Governor Rick Perry was a A&M alumni and brought in a mix A&M supporters into state government and those who don't like U Texas's elitism/liberal ways. By bringing in Houston to the XII, Texas basically makes Houston its political servant in the state house for the foreseeable future and will help push back the A&M delegation. In addition, U Houston would also owe U Texas big time within the XII and would not threaten the Long Horn's rule over to XII unlike adding a school that would beholden to the Long Horns such as a Florida school, BYU, Cincinnati or UConn. The only reason that U Texas would not support the addition of U Houston is if U Texas actually views the XII has a long-term home because they know adding U Houston will basically push U Oklahoma out the door and without the Sooners, the XII will fall. Adding U Houston now allows U Texas to continue to own the XII and maximize the return on its investment on the XII and LHN over the short-term knowing that in the long term, U Texas will find a new home (B1G or PAC).
UT is an excellent flag ship school.
UConn is the only available flagship with both Acedemic and Athletic credentials.

I don't see Texas wanting another Texas School.
Having said that I still don't think we get asked but pushing that line doesn't hurt your chances of another invite ,particularly to the ACC

Reaction Score
No news here and it may have already been posted and discussed, but it does present a nice history lesson. Seems to me the Big 12 must expand or disband.
http://www.houstonpress.com/news/a-seismic-shift-what-is-the-future-of-the-big-12-7720862

“There are three Big 12 schools that have options outside of the Big 12,” he says. “Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas can go lots of places, which is great for those schools, but it also means they can’t be relied upon if you’re one of the other seven Big 12 schools.”

I always find comments like these interesting in that Kansas is included. I know Kansas BBall is a big deal, a bigger deal than UConn BBall, but when it comes to $$$, you can't tell me that Kansas BBall is = to UConn ball. Plus it's in the middle of Kansas, nowhere near population centers like NY or Boston. It continues to lure talent. BUT--it can also easily become the Nebraska football of college BBall. Frankthetank says the same thing about Kansas BBall, it is such a valuable property that any conference would gladly take the school.

What they're really saying though is not that UConn is out of luck because it's football is bad, but that UConn is out of luck because it's basketball isn't good enough.

Reaction Score
“There are three Big 12 schools that have options outside of the Big 12,” he says. “Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas can go lots of places, which is great for those schools, but it also means they can’t be relied upon if you’re one of the other seven Big 12 schools.”

I always find comments like these interesting in that Kansas is included. I know Kansas BBall is a big deal, a bigger deal than UConn BBall, but when it comes to $$$, you can't tell me that Kansas BBall is = to UConn ball. Plus it's in the middle of Kansas, nowhere near population centers like NY or Boston. It continues to lure talent. BUT--it can also easily become the Nebraska football of college BBall. Frankthetank says the same thing about Kansas BBall, it is such a valuable property that any conference would gladly take the school.

What they're really saying though is not that UConn is out of luck because it's football is bad, but that UConn is out of luck because it's basketball isn't good enough.
Kansas is AAU but according to wikipedia, it only has an endowment of $185 million. It has name recognition. UCONN's biggest problem is geography, I think. Kansas doesn't even have men's soccer, hockey, or lacrosse. Wait, on the mens side, Kansas has football (barely), basketball, baseball, x-country, golf, track & field. 6 sports. Go figure.

Reaction Score
Kansas is AAU but according to wikipedia, it only has an endowment of $185 million. It has name recognition. UCONN's biggest problem is geography, I think. Kansas doesn't even have men's soccer, hockey, or lacrosse. Wait, on the mens side, Kansas has football (barely), basketball, baseball, x-country, golf, track & field. 6 sports. Go figure.

UConn's biggest problem is subpar football and lack of AAU recognition. Check those two boxes off and we're good.

Reaction Score
Who cares about the Big 12? They are so stubborn and are now paying for their poor planning, they could have had Louisville and Cincy by now and locked up a conf champ, sending us to the ACC, but sucks to be them.

It's t he B1G first then the ACC or no one

Reaction Score
UConn's biggest problem is subpar football and lack of AAU recognition. Check those two boxes off and we're good.
Subpar only during the PP era. That's not bad.

Reaction Score

Its TV market (Kansas City, though Missouri owns a good chunk of the market) is also #31, which is just behind Hartford/New Haven at #30. They have good fans, though, who pack Jayhawk, Chiefs, Royals, and Sporting KC games.

Reaction Score
Any new additions are intended to protect the leftover schools from the impending departures. The conference needs to keep 10 members after OU, KU, UT leave.
you understand the game.

Reaction Score
If Texas has its way, Houston will be strongly considered considered. U Texas has lost a lot of clout lately in the Texas State house as former Governor Rick Perry was a A&M alumni and brought in a mix A&M supporters into state government and those who don't like U Texas's elitism/liberal ways. By bringing in Houston to the XII, Texas basically makes Houston its political servant in the state house for the foreseeable future and will help push back the A&M delegation. In addition, U Houston would also owe U Texas big time within the XII and would not threaten the Long Horn's rule over to XII unlike adding a school that would beholden to the Long Horns such as a Florida school, BYU, Cincinnati or UConn. The only reason that U Texas would not support the addition of U Houston is if U Texas actually views the XII has a long-term home because they know adding U Houston will basically push U Oklahoma out the door and without the Sooners, the XII will fall. Adding U Houston now allows U Texas to continue to own the XII and maximize the return on its investment on the XII and LHN over the short-term knowing that in the long term, U Texas will find a new home (B1G or PAC).
You see the picture well.

Reaction Score
B12 should make a deal with ACC and Big Ten to put the programs in new homes. UT, WVU, BU, TCU, TT, Okie State to ACC. OU and KU to Big Ten. ACC Network gets going with the state of Texas included. The ACC media contact gets shared between FOX and ESPN as a result, increasing exposure across several channels. KSU and ISU join the AAC to enhance that league.

Reaction Score
B12 should make a deal with ACC and Big Ten to put the programs in new homes. UT, WVU, BU, TCU, TT, Okie State to ACC. OU and KU to Big Ten. ACC Network gets going with the state of Texas included. The ACC media contact gets shared between FOX and ESPN as a result, increasing exposure across several channels. KSU and ISU join the AAC to enhance that league.

So you're suggestion to the Big 12 is...surrender?

Reaction Score
The best two teams for the Big 12 that are not hampered by a GOR....Arkansas and Mizzou. They make a lot of geographic and rivalry sense and are in the same time zone.

But the SEC money, not a GOR, will hold them fast.

But...Arkansas back playing Texas, and Mizzou against Kansas, Kansas State....

Reaction Score

Over on Landthieves, I read about the idea that the networks should or would find safe landing spots for the Big12 teams. All of the scenarios about how homes could be found for the other schools if OK left. You're doing the same thing. Meanwhile, no one gave a damn that UConn was screwed in conference realignment.

pj

Reaction Score
Over on Landthieves, I read about the idea that the networks should or would find safe landing spots for the Big12 teams. All of the scenarios about how homes could be found for the other schools if OK left. You're doing the same thing. Meanwhile, no one gave a damn that UConn was screwed in conference realignment.

The Big East didn't have a Grant of Rights, or a long-term TV contract, such that consent of league teams was needed to reassemble the league. In the Big XII today, they have to take care of everyone, or nothing will happen.

Reaction Score
The ACC to possibly have, what, 21-22 schools?? 4 from TX? lol. It probably will take 22 schools to get your precious ACCN off the ground. B1G did it with 11, but I digress.

...And ARK & MIZZ leaving the SEC to revive their TX & KS/K-ST rivalries?? Mizzou just left the damn BXII, you fool!

I see CoastAtlantic and billybud are still the two dumbest posters in the history of intertronz expansion forums.

Holy hell. kys.

Reaction Score
This is fantasy land....I never said that I expected Mizzou and Arkansas to go to the Big 12, even without a GOR...only that they made the most geographic and rivalry sense for that conference. You disagree with that..fine..

You either can not read, or are, as I expect, an anger filled, name calling attacker.

Reaction Score
Yeah...I can get into this!

Chest beating macho posts seem to raise the tetosterone level. Now, all I have to do is practice my mouth breathing...you dumbshit posters.

Wheee! On a testosterone high. Where do they sell wife beater's?

Reaction Score
UH, Memphis, UCF and USF can be added by the Big 12 get to 14 and Cincinnati or Tulane/Tulsa can take them to 16. There's more options if they want to go to 18.

Reaction Score
That could be coming...Baylor and TCU each having a loss now guarantees that the Big 12 Champ will have one loss.

If Stanford hadn't lost Saturday, I would have had the Big 12 out of the play off...now, they have a chance.

If Clemson wins out...Clemson

Ohio State if they win out

Notre Dame if they win out

mystery...Big 12 or Pac 12

Reaction Score
That could be coming...Baylor and TCU each having a loss now guarantees that the Big 12 Champ will have one loss.

If Stanford hadn't lost Saturday, I would have had the Big 12 out of the play off...now, they have a chance.

If Clemson wins out...Clemson

Ohio State if they win out

Notre Dame if they win out

mystery...Big 12 or Pac 12
Isn't Oklahoma State undefeated? Seems like they can make it in by beating Baylor and Oklahoma at home.

pj

Reaction Score
Seems to me Alabama or the SEC champ has a claim as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom