Could Big XII expand to 16 in order to fend off threats? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Could Big XII expand to 16 in order to fend off threats?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Had an interesting thought the other day when looking at the rankings.

Right now Clemson is sitting at 6 and FSU is at 9. If FSU upsets Clemson, but loses on the road in the swamp to Florida in the last game of the season, it's entirely possible the ACC champ gets left out of the playoff.

Last year an undefeated FSU team got into the playoff with the No. 3 seed behind 1-loss SEC and Pac12 programs. The ACC this year has clearly been the weakest of the P5.

If the Big 12 champ gets in over the ACC champ I wonder if FSU and Clemson start rethinking a move to the Big 12?

Those are the only two programs the Big 12 could poach that would bring stability to the conference.
It's nice to think these things could happen, but I don't think schools make decisions of this magnitude in that fashion. Besides, it was only last year The Big12 had their champion left out.

Reaction Score
A two loss team will not be in the playoff. There will be too many one loss teams and even some undefeated's to consider. ACC Champion Clemson should be undefeated and won't be excluded for a one loss Pac12 or two loss SEC Champ.

Reaction Score
No way in bloody hell UConn, Temple, USF, UCF get in Big 12 ahead of BYU and Houston. Just none at all.

Take Temple out and I could see UConn and a Florida school getting in ahead of Houston and BYU.

Reaction Score
quite the contrary I've heard UT is pushing for UH to replace the gap left by aTm and the SEC.

UT is adamantly against expansion, so I would check your sources.

All of the B12 Texas fans are convinced that Houston would be a very hard sell when you already have 5 P5 schools in Texas.

Texas is against expansion END STOP. But the other schools do not want one more P5 member in state.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
UT is adamantly against expansion, so I would check your sources.

All of the B12 Texas fans are convinced that Houston would be a very hard sell when you already have 5 P5 schools in Texas.

Texas is against expansion END STOP. But the other schools do not want one more P5 member in state.
That's why I think the Big XII will add Memphis and Cincinatti.

Reaction Score
Take Temple out and I could see UConn and a Florida school getting in ahead of Houston and BYU.
What? UCONN is not getting invited to the Big 12. No. BYU and Houston are at least in the discussion, what little discussion there is.

Reaction Score
What? UCONN is not getting invited to the Big 12. No. BYU and Houston are at least in the discussion, what little discussion there is.

Im responding to someone who said "No way in bloody hell."
You're convinced Houston is a viable candidate. UConn is highly unlikely, but may be more of a candidate than Houston. So for you guys to be so certain is highly questionable. Houston adds nothing. While UConn is unlikeliest, I don't think Houston is even a candidate.

Reaction Score
Im responding to someone who said "No way in bloody hell."
You're convinced Houston is a viable candidate. UConn is highly unlikely, but may be more of a candidate than Houston. So for you guys to be so certain is highly questionable. Houston adds nothing. While UConn is unlikeliest, I don't think Houston is even a candidate.
I guess it's a moot point because UCONN is an absolute no. At least Houston has a decent team today, is close (In Texas), is in a huge market, has a history with the current Big 12 schools, and may have political pressure. But there is no way anyone could possibly believe that Houston has less of a chance than UCONN. It is mathematically impossible.

Reaction Score
I guess it's a moot point because UCONN is an absolute no. At least Houston has a decent team today, is close (In Texas), is in a huge market, has a history with the current Big 12 schools, and may have political pressure. But there is no way anyone could possibly believe that Houston has less of a chance than UCONN. It is mathematically impossible.

Does UConn have a better chance than Houston? YES.

Reaction Score
Does UConn have a better chance than Houston? YES.
Again, no. Houston is at least mentioned. Its chances may be minute, they may be close to zero. Houston's chances could even be rounded down to zero. But no matter how you measure it, they are still better than UCONN's. I am of the opinion that UCONN will never ever remotely be considered as an option for a Texas based, football first conference. My opinion. Never.
As an aside, does Texas really consider anyone in Texas a recruiting rival? Texas is national. It is international. If the Big 12 expands, I don't think recruiting is an issue, not for Texas.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Again, no. Houston is at least mentioned. Its chances may be minute, they may be close to zero. Houston's chances could even be rounded down to zero. But no matter how you measure it, they are still better than UCONN's. I am of the opinion that UCONN will never ever remotely be considered as an option for a Texas based, football first conference. My opinion. Never.
As an aside, does Texas really consider anyone in Texas a recruiting rival? Texas is national. It is international. If the Big 12 expands, I don't think recruiting is an issue, not for Texas.

I know UConn's chances are close to zero. I already said that.

Reaction Score
Not sure why Houston is so outlandish. Isn't the biggest reason for the Houston mentions Texas politics? Then the Houston market / Texas A&M's incursion?

Reaction Score

If Texas has its way, Houston will be strongly considered considered. U Texas has lost a lot of clout lately in the Texas State house as former Governor Rick Perry was a A&M alumni and brought in a mix A&M supporters into state government and those who don't like U Texas's elitism/liberal ways. By bringing in Houston to the XII, Texas basically makes Houston its political servant in the state house for the foreseeable future and will help push back the A&M delegation. In addition, U Houston would also owe U Texas big time within the XII and would not threaten the Long Horn's rule over to XII unlike adding a school that would beholden to the Long Horns such as a Florida school, BYU, Cincinnati or UConn. The only reason that U Texas would not support the addition of U Houston is if U Texas actually views the XII has a long-term home because they know adding U Houston will basically push U Oklahoma out the door and without the Sooners, the XII will fall. Adding U Houston now allows U Texas to continue to own the XII and maximize the return on its investment on the XII and LHN over the short-term knowing that in the long term, U Texas will find a new home (B1G or PAC).

Reaction Score
BYU is not in the discussion.
There seems to be an awful lot of discussion about BYU for BYU to not be in the discussion. UCONN and the Big 12 is only discussed here at the yard.
I am no Big 12 expert, nor do I care to be. But I would still say Houston's chances are 5 times greater than UCONN's, however small that chance may be.

Reaction Score
There seems to be an awful lot of discussion about BYU for BYU to not be in the discussion. UCONN and the Big 12 is only discussed here at the yard.
I am no Big 12 expert, nor do I care to be. But I would still say Houston's chances are 5 times greater than UCONN's, however small that chance may be.
McMurphy said it isn't happening. He's one of the only credible guys out there on this issue, and he doesn't usually make definitive statements without good reason.

Reaction Score
McMurphy said it isn't happening. He's one of the only credible guys out there on this issue, and he doesn't usually make definitive statements without good reason.
Isn't everyone pretty much saying the Big 12 is not expanding? At least that's been the opinion and result. So given the Big 12 is not expanding, the rest of the conversation is just, "yeah but IF it does..." It's all just discussion. Any potential list doesn't have UCONN on it unless you go 10 deep.

Reaction Score
Isn't everyone pretty much saying the Big 12 is not expanding? At least that's been the opinion and result. So given the Big 12 is not expanding, the rest of the conversation is just, "yeah but IF it does..." It's all just discussion.
McMurphy said the Big 12 isn't expanding west. He didn't rule out expansion.

Reaction Score
Even if the Big 12 expanded to 16, what schools could they add that wouldn't make the top schools in the conference jump ship if an invite ever came? Boise State, BYU, etc. etc. etc........do you think Kansas would stick around for that if the B1G sent the Jayhawks an invite? Texas will stay as long as they get to run the show. Everyone else needs to be happy being Texas's b*tch or hope an invite comes from another conference.

Reaction Score
Even if the Big 12 expanded to 16, what schools could they add that wouldn't make the top schools in the conference jump ship if an invite ever came? Boise State, BYU, etc. etc. etc...do you think Kansas would stick around for that if the B1G sent the Jayhawks an invite? Texas will stay as long as they get to run the show. Everyone else needs to be happy being Texas's b*tch or hope an invite comes from another conference.

None. This is exactly why the Big 12 is next to go. Any new additions are a band aid at best, an excuse for other schools to leave at worst.

TBH the conference is better off staying in it's current form at the moment rather than make a move from a position of weakness like they are right now.

pj

Reaction Score
Any new additions are intended to protect the leftover schools from the impending departures. The conference needs to keep 10 members after OU, KU, UT leave.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Adding another Texas school actually makes sense for Texas if they can get their Alpha groove back.

If Texas can sell more in state away games to Texas high school players and parents, it gives them something over A&M.

Reaction Score
Forget the discussion.

The first step is what do Oklahoma and Texas want to do. I think OU is leaning out the door. Texas feeling that, is certainly looking at the landscape & thinking profit optimizer. And that means that the B12 is not the solid stable P5 you'd bet on. If they do expand, with the concurrence of OU and Texas, there's something that is coming down the pike in terms of revenue that isn't obvious. Expanding just for a Championship Game makes zero sense to me. And if they remain the Conference with the hardest path to the CFB Playoff, then so be it. They have few options.

All this discussion is too Football-centric. Please? Temple as a riser? Why ... because they beat Penn State (because the other 6 wins won't knock over most football experts)? Houston taken for MORE Texas? Why? They need another mouth?

OU is the one to watch. And we might be years away from the SEC/B1G revenue tripling the ACC or B12. That's going to be a consistent story.

Reaction Score
so what are we arguing here??? Where is Harry Dunne when we need him? - reference Dumb & Dumber

I responded to someone who said Houston's chances are greater

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69