Charlton has been one of our best coordinators, and yes I want him gone!!! | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Charlton has been one of our best coordinators, and yes I want him gone!!!

Reaction Score
We had no choice but indy in FB. The AAC would not, and will not, have us in FB only.
Would like to hear more from DB as to what he is planning or plans to do. He is too damn secretive. Just friggin say you’re pissed you were left at the altar so many times.
I bet it would have us as a football only now, but the AAC now is nowhere near the quality of the league we left a few years ago.

Reaction Score
It's not about hiring one, it's restructuring the coaching staff to put him on the field calling the defense. John Pagano should be the natural choice. But as the special assistant to the head coach, he wasn't an on field assistant.
Good point... I forgot the guy's name (Pagano), because he was behind the scenes... With all the experience he has coaching wise, if he's the guy, so be it... Just let him do what we need him to do full time now...

Reaction Score
I bet it would have us as a football only now, but the AAC now is nowhere near the quality of the league we left a few years ago.
I think UConn and UMass as football only to the AAC makes a lot of sense for everybody involved. But I certainly wouldn't hold my breath on that.

Reaction Score
I’m not. This is actually what people think. And there isn’t a material difference between what you said and what I said.

Nobody protects basketball by hurting football. Even schools like Duke and KU don’t do that.

Coaches don’t believe they will be supported at UConn. That’s the perception we have to change.

I agree with your overall sentiment, coaches don't believe they will be supported at UConn. But I think comparing us to Duke and Kansas is comparing apples to oranges. They are in a P5 and have plenty of money. They don't have to choose one or the other because they have plenty of money to adequately support both. There really isn't a program in the country that you can truly compare to UConn, we're in a unique situation. I think if you swapped Duke or Kansas with UConn's situation, they would have made the same or similar decisions we did to protect basketball.

Reaction Score
Nationally, not even attempting to play in 2020 damaged the football perception. Even UMass gave it a shot. Last season's story with Mora being mentioned for COY was the only positive thing written about the program in the last 13 years.

This too. It wasn’t just the AAC/SNY thing.

Reaction Score
I agree with your overall sentiment, coaches don't believe they will be supported at UConn. But I think comparing us to Duke and Kansas is comparing apples to oranges. They are in a P5 and have plenty of money. They don't have to choose one or the other because they have plenty of money to adequately support both. There really isn't a program in the country that you can truly compare to UConn, we're in a unique situation. I think if you swapped Duke or Kansas with UConn's situation, they would have made the same or similar decisions we did to protect basketball.

If they did they would suffer the same consequences.

But I doubt they would essentially sabotage a football program like we did.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I think UConn and UMass as football only to the AAC makes a lot of sense for everybody involved. But I certainly wouldn't hold my breath on that.
Hypothetically, We pair with UMass and approach the AAC with a proposal that both schools join as football only members. What benefit would the AAC receive from this?

Reaction Score
Hypothetically, We pair with UMass and approach the AAC with a proposal that both schools join as football only members. What benefit would the AAC receive from this?
Eyeballs from NY to Boston.

Reaction Score
No…

1701355703349.jpeg

… but there is a salary offset if he is hired by another program.

Reaction Score
If we keep doing this (the old way) it always seems we miss out (impact recruits, impact coach(es)(ing) alike)... We're still moving like a snail, forget about a turtle... We want BIG time but keep making mediocre (equates to small time) moves... When are we going to learn what it really takes if that's what we (the powers that be in this state.. not me... I'm cool with being mid level for a little bit, with Bowl game ties... you know? the college football experience most FBS schools live by) want...

I say we swallow our pride a little longer for decent success on the field and build up to the top (eventually)... but what do I know... I mean, all we've had as of late is a bunch of losing/complaining/criticizing/uninspiring results...

This is not an overnite thing folks.. We're going through it... Let's continue to go through, so we can get to... I still think we can... even with patience running thin...

Reaction Score
This is where the basketball myopia crowd think we belong

qqq2166b.jpg

Also the best thing about this is that it illustrates why we can’t go back down.

Northeastern Football-gone
BU Football-gone
UMass-FBS
Delaware-FBS

No sense in dropping down because almost everyone worth playing is coming up and sone don’t even exist anymore.

Reaction Score
Exposure in NYC and Boston (admittedly not that important), opportunities for lightened travel for their eastern teams, helps alleviate Army's upcoming schedule changes, and two large, top-tier, state flagship universities that have big upsides should they ever be good at football again. In the past I get why it wouldn't have happened, but the AAC lost all of its top end brands with the remaining top few looking to bail ASAP - UConn and UMass, even for football only at their current lows, are a brand and viewership improvement over the Charlotte, North Texas, Tulsa, Temple (though our addition would help Temple) contingency imo.

All that said it won't happen

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The AAC media deal pays about $7 million/school. The Big East pays around $4.5-5
Keep in mind though that the AAC media deal requires that Connecticut bear the production cost for all home games other than football. That means hiring cameraman producers and on air talent. Additionally, Susan Herbst said that by moving to the big east we saved roughly $2 million in travel expenses. You pull out those two items playing in either conference is more or less a wash to us. And that's before you add an extra $600,000 for our CBS Sportsnet football deal, and before adding the extra gate and contributions, both of which rose sharply when we joined the big east. Finally, I know that the big east is in the process of negotiating a new media deal. In all likelihood it will go up, with at least one estimate putting it in roughly the $8 million per school range.

KryHavok

Oh yes, UConn IS a BB blueblood!
Reaction Score
JMU has a head coach opening, perfect for a former head coach turned OC... Charlton should apply tonight. Just please leave Nick, considering you've driven away some of our main offensive weapons, go, and take this awful stank with you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom