Charlton has been one of our best coordinators, and yes I want him gone!!! | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Charlton has been one of our best coordinators, and yes I want him gone!!!

Reaction Score
You've been stealing from Waylon's playbook.

When three offensive players hit portal midseason and members of the media are mentioning his unpopularity then I don’t see why it makes sense to challenge the idea that he is unpopular unless you are carrying his water.

Reaction Score
It doesn’t matter why. The perception matters and we didn’t manage it well.

Imagine explaining to recruits and top coaches that we actually care about football when we sacrificed conference football to keep wbb on a regional cable network.

It’s a reasonable red flag.
So it was OK to lose money for the sake of football? AAC football, where we were the bottom of the league? The AAC was the one that was going to force us to give up money.

Reaction Score
So it was OK to lose money for the sake of football? AAC football, where we were the bottom of the league? The AAC was the one that was going to force us to give up money.

Yes people outside the bubble might say that. Most people don’t have two elite basketball programs to look after.

Don’t argue with me. Argue with the football coaches who don’t think we have a serious football program.

Reaction Score
Outside of Lashlee and Weist,

Lashlee had Shirreffs and Weist eventually found his way to Cochran. Isn't amazing how offensive coordinators look so much better when they have good QB's working for them. Shirreffs and Cochran were two of our very best of the FBS era. Do you think we might have had a better functioning offense this year if we had a QB who could run like Shirreffs?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Instead we chose to give it up. The AAC media deal pays about $7 million/school. The Big East pays around $4.5-5 There are also, of course, other sources like NCAA tournament credits, but that is the media base. By the way, this is going, at some point, to be unsustainable for basketball too.

We made a choice. It isn’t sustainable in the long term. The plan needs to be to get football back to respectability then get into a p4 league. I thing joining a league for football only makes short term sense too. Which would you rather be, going 6-6 because you play 4-5 unwinnable games every year or being 11-1 and being talked about for a New Years Day bowl or the CFP playoff because you play 11 G5 games and 1 P4? Even if we go unbeaten in our G5 games next season, a tall order to be sure, we are likely 8-4 and ordinary. Meanwhile, Tulane is 11-1. James Madison is 11-1. Liberty is 10-2. Those teams get that winning brings lots more than competing.

Reaction Score
Yes people outside the bubble might say that. Most people don’t have two elite basketball programs to look after.

Don’t argue with me. Argue with the football coaches who don’t think we have a serious football program.
Not trying to argue at all. Just trying to understand your point of view, especially regarding perception.

Reaction Score
Instead we chose to give it up. The AAC media deal pays about $7 million/school. The Big East pays around $4.5-5 There are also, of course, other sources like NCAA tournament credits, but that is the media base. By the way, this is going, at some point, to be unsustainable for basketball too.

We made a choice. It isn’t sustainable in the long term. The plan needs to be to get football back to respectability then get into a p4 league. I thing joining a league for football only makes short term sense too. Which would you rather be, going 6-6 because you play 4-5 unwinnable games every year or being 11-1 and being talked about for a New Years Day bowl or the CFP playoff because you play 11 G5 games and 1 P4? Even if we go unbeaten in our G5 games next season, a tall order to be sure, we are likely 8-4 and ordinary. Meanwhile, Tulane is 11-1. James Madison is 11-1. Liberty is 10-2. Those teams get that winning brings lots more than competing.
By the time we're in a P4 league, things will be P2 only, or even worse, P1 only.

Reaction Score
Lashlee had Shirreffs and Weist eventually found his way to Cochran. Isn't amazing how offensive coordinators look so much better when they have good QB's working for them. Shirreffs and Cochran were two of our very best of the FBS era. Do you think we might have had a better functioning offense this year if we had a QB who could run like Shirreffs?
Cochran is a huge what could have been. But damn if I'm not proud of him for getting out of the sport before it completely ruined his life.

Reaction Score
Remember, UConn gets ~$1 million from SNY and ~$500k from CBS so the media dollars are comparable with a big savings in travel costs. And, it was obvious that the AAC was a league of schools looking to get out, so it was only a matter of time before the most attractive schools left. If UConn stayed in the AAC, the schedule would have been made up of teams like UAB, FAU, UNC Charlotte, North Texas, UTSA, Tulsa,... Disaster for both football and especially basketball.

Don't get me wrong, UConn needs more money and that means it will be up to the fans to help with donations.

I think moving to independent in football was more attractive than what the AAC became. Our frustration is that the school did not invest in football in years and expected better results which was crazy. For the first time in a decade, I feel that UConn is investing and focusing on football. LT, we are hoping that UConn will be in a conference with like schools and I feel that is coming.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Remember, UConn gets ~$1 million from SNY and ~$500k from CBS so the media dollars are comparable with a big savings in travel costs. And, it was obvious that the AAC was a league of schools looking to get out, so it was only a matter of time before the most attractive schools left. If UConn stayed in the AAC, the schedule would have been made up of teams like UAB, FAU, UNC Charlotte, North Texas, UTSA, Tulsa,... Disaster for both football and especially basketball.

Don't get me wrong, UConn needs more money and that means it will be up to the fans to help with donations.

I think moving to independent in football was more attractive than what the AAC became. Our frustration is that the school did not invest in football in years and expected better results which was crazy. For the first time in a decade, I feel that UConn is investing and focusing on football. LT, we are hoping that UConn will be in a conference with like schools and I feel that is coming.
We had no choice but indy in FB. The AAC would not, and will not, have us in FB only.
Would like to hear more from DB as to what he is planning or plans to do. He is too damn secretive. Just friggin say you’re pissed you were left at the altar so many times.

Reaction Score
Are people just mad at the results or are there specific plays we didn’t like, other than the stupid gadgets.

This is a serious question. For years, we moaned about the run, run, pass, punt. Charlton certainly wasn't that. And while you can certainly question situational play calling and players not developing, but it's that going to happen with poor athletes?

I really don't know how many open looks weren't attempted.
The results are what they are. Bad verging on terrible. He needs to go. Are we hamstrung financially? Yes. Are other programs doing more with the same or less? Yes. That's all I need to know

Reaction Score
Our frustration is that the school did not invest in football in years and expected better results which was crazy. For the first time in a decade, I feel that UConn is investing and focusing on football. LT, we are hoping that UConn will be in a conference with like schools and I feel that is coming.
THIS......

Reaction Score
If Charlton isn’t canned it tells you the school has no intention of doing anything but showing up to games. School is very comfortable with failure on the grid iron.

I hate the job he is doing but we would have to pay him 800k to go away.

If we have that money then let’s hire a real DC and a QB coach. Oh and a ST coach.

Reaction Score
Trust Mora. Less than a year ago there were many Yarder's who wanted Hurley canned as they were convinced he would never win anything here. That sure aged well.

BTW our scheduling practices as a G5 team are absurd. Play more G5 games please and all of the coaches will look better.

Shireffs was good but many complained about him being a FB and not a QB. I enjoyed him and he was much better than the others. CC played after Boyle. Sometimes it’s the player more than the coaching.

Reaction Score
I’m not. This is actually what people think. And there isn’t a material difference between what you said and what I said.

Nobody protects basketball by hurting football. Even schools like Duke and KU don’t do that.

Coaches don’t believe they will be supported at UConn. That’s the perception we have to change.
I think Duke and KU are in the power 5

Reaction Score
If we don't hire a DC in the off-season that's just malpractice.
It's not about hiring one, it's restructuring the coaching staff to put him on the field calling the defense. John Pagano should be the natural choice. But as the special assistant to the head coach, he wasn't an on field assistant.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The results are what they are. Bad verging on terrible. He needs to go. Are we hamstrung financially? Yes. Are other programs doing more with the same or less? Yes. That's all I need to know
This is the biggest complaint. Lesser programs are doing more with less. Other than geography, it begs an explanation.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Shireffs was good but many complained about him being a FB and not a QB. I enjoyed him and he was much better than the others. CC played after Boyle. Sometimes it’s the player more than the coaching.
Diaco bulked him up to be a fullback. RE had him lose weight to be more mobile. It was one of Diaco's crazy ideas

Reaction Score
By the time we're in a P4 league, things will be P2 only, or even worse, P1 only.
But at least we'll be in an upward conference trajectory unlike remaining with a status quo.

Reaction Score
Would like to hear more from DB as to what he is planning or plans to do.
Me too but sad to say we will get nothing more than what we find out from @huskymedic who we have to thank, for so much info.
AD's are very much like politicians who say what those listening want to hear and their cards close to their chest. ;)

Reaction Score
If Charlton isn’t canned it tells you the school has no intention of doing anything but showing up to games. School is very comfortable with failure on the grid iron.

This says it all right here. There's no need to further elaborate.

Reaction Score
Not trying to argue at all. Just trying to understand your point of view, especially regarding perception.
I recall quotes in the articles from the Big XII flirtation, stating that the perception of UConn "downgrading" and "not being serious" about football was a big portion of the school president's reluctance to back Yormark's plan to add the Huskies.

Ultimately history has proven it was the right move for UConn's unique situation.. but it was a very outside the box move, and one that football first schools in the Big XII core couldn't ever fathom. Our stated reasoning (avoiding the ESPN+ paywall) is also looking weaker and weaker as more content is pushed to streaming, essentially we've become the school who picked the secondary sport over the primary income driver and have stated, that our (fairly affluent) market isn't willing to stream our content.

We know that's not the case... but those are things UConn has to overcome to eventually find a home beyond a bottom-tier conference desperate enough to offer football-only. UConn needs to do more to socialize the quality of the facilities to show, hey we made a non-traditional football move, but we've got the investment here... they need to do more to talk about the benefits, real or imagined, they've realized for football (hey attendance is higher the last two years, we get to play a stronger schedule than what we would've had in the AAC)... but until they can really message the move and get people thinking that not only was the Big East a basketball move.. but a "football move" or not the downgrade it's perceived to be, outside the northeast, UConn abandoned football in favor of basketball (and honestly no matter how successful basketball is, will cancel that narrative, if anything it reinforces it).

Reaction Score
I recall quotes in the articles from the Big XII flirtation, stating that the perception of UConn "downgrading" and "not being serious" about football was a big portion of the school president's reluctance to back Yormark's plan to add the Huskies.

Ultimately history has proven it was the right move for UConn's unique situation.. but it was a very outside the box move, and one that football first schools in the Big XII core couldn't ever fathom. Our stated reasoning (avoiding the ESPN+ paywall) is also looking weaker and weaker as more content is pushed to streaming, essentially we've become the school who picked the secondary sport over the primary income driver and have stated, that our (fairly affluent) market isn't willing to stream our content.

We know that's not the case... but those are things UConn has to overcome to eventually find a home beyond a bottom-tier conference desperate enough to offer football-only. UConn needs to do more to socialize the quality of the facilities to show, hey we made a non-traditional football move, but we've got the investment here... they need to do more to talk about the benefits, real or imagined, they've realized for football (hey attendance is higher the last two years, we get to play a stronger schedule than what we would've had in the AAC)... but until they can really message the move and get people thinking that not only was the Big East a basketball move.. but a "football move" or not the downgrade it's perceived to be, outside the northeast, UConn abandoned football in favor of basketball (and honestly no matter how successful basketball is, will cancel that narrative, if anything it reinforces it).
Yeah, but it’s just dumb. We need to do a better job marketing and controlling narratives. We should be getting heaps of praise for what we did. We should also get credit for having the option. Many other schools would have pursued the same course but it wasn’t available to them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom