Chances of both Daniels and Boatright returning next year?? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Chances of both Daniels and Boatright returning next year??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
You are correct, but I was not talking about whether he should go or not, simply whether he would be drafted in the first round this year or not. There's people arguing he won't; I disagree.
I believe he has a shot at late first round, but if he comes back, I think he has a better shot at Top 5.

Reaction Score
I'm watching this Nuggets/Warriors game and if Quincy Miller can actually log minutes for an NBA team, then DeAndre can definitely play in the league next year. They're basically the same type of player, with the same build as well.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I believe he has a shot at late first round, but if he comes back, I think he has a better shot at Top 5.

Daniels has no realistic chance of improving from a borderline first round pick to a Top 5 pick. That kind of improvement is so rare between the end of a junior and senior year that I can not remember the last time it happened.

Reaction Score
Very happy that the Huskies won while Daniels did not play well. If he was on the NBA radar after having a great tournament, maybe this off game for him gets him off the radar. He is still not being mentioned as being picked on nbadraft.net. Neither is Boatright. Thoughts on both returning?
Boat will be back to lead the team visa vi, Bass/ Kimba.
Bob Diaco will factor into DeAndrea Daniels decision. After taking a blood test he will be made aware of a Vitamin D shortage and will go on a Vitamin D regimen and will bulk up to 295 lbs. He will reposition to power forward and then have to decide between the NBA and the NFL! Daniels will become famous because of the Vitamin D usage and will hence be referred to as Triple D! He will then become the spokesperson for 1 A Day vitamins and become a very wealthy young man. As it has been said, We're DOOMED!

Reaction Score
If DeAndre had Boat's heart, he would be a lottery pick for sure. I think they both return for the Senior season.

Reaction Score
What I'm saying is that Boatright's heart and toughness is off the charts. DeAndre has a great skill set and NBA body if he had Boatwright heart he would be a lottery pick for sure. That's no knock on Daniels it's simply a tribute to Boatright.

DeAndre makes plays that few others at the College level can make. I think that next year he will be ready to dominate on a more consistent basis.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What I'm saying is that Boatright's heart and toughness is off the charts. DeAndre has a great skill set and NBA body if he had Boatwright heart he would be a lottery pick for sure. That's no knock on Daniels it's simply a tribute to Boatright.

DeAndre makes plays that few others at the College level can make. I think that next year he will be ready to dominate on a more consistent basis.

After the way he played the past 2 months that conclusion doesn't make any sense. The rebounding, the defense on much bigger players like Payne (remember the block against Patrick Young?!), and the way he took over the Iowa St game.

DD is as tough, and has as much heart as anyone on that team.

Reaction Score
After the way he played the past 2 months that conclusion doesn't make any sense. The rebounding, the defense on much bigger players like Payne (remember the block against Patrick Young?!), and the way he took over the Iowa St game.

He just doesn't show it the same way as Boat, who is much more demonstrative.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Daniels has no realistic chance of improving from a borderline first round pick to a Top 5 pick. That kind of improvement is so rare between the end of a junior and senior year that I can not remember the last time it happened.

We'll see.

Daniels was woefully inconsistent until Rutgers on March 5, at which time he was probably fully healthy from his high ankle sprain. He missed two games but most likely played hurt in the rest. From 3/5 on, he played at least 21 minutes with only one game under 26. He was in double figures in all but two games as well, during one of those getting into early foul trouble in the National Title game (One could argue phantom fouls, but it still happened). Finally, the best 4 games in that stretch from 3/5 were arguably the Sweet Sixteen, Elite Eight, Final Four, and National Title game.

It is absolutely true that Daniels' stock is at its historical highest, but I don't believe it is at it's peak. He was third chair while accomplishing the above. He will be at least 1b next year and with a consistency game in and game out, he can certainly move into the lottery and possibly a top 5 pick.

Reaction Score
Chance they return? Should be 100%. Likelihood? Should still be 100%.

I don't know everyone, I'm new to the board but not new to UConn basketball or the NBA. I think I'm in the rare breed that actually enjoys both systems equally and watch too much for my own good (ask the girlfriend). But I'll be honest, and I await the vitriol about to come my way, Daniels and Boatright aren't even close to sniffing the first round. I don't think Boatright is draftable this year and Daniels could maybe be between picks 50-60?

This isn't a star-ladden draft class. It still remains to be seen what the highly touted Embiid, Wiggins, and Parker (if he declares) can bring to the NBA. However, this class is FULL of role players. A year or two ago this year's Dougie McD would've been arguably a Top 5 pick but this draft is so stocked with rotational role players that most analysts put him between 13-16.

I honestly don't see any reason for a college junior to enter the draft if he's not going to be surefire first round pick with a guaranteed contract. My words may seem harsh but I don't want either of these UConn boys drafted in the second round, to non-guaranteed money/roster spot, to only get cut in October. These two still have room to improve, Daniels more so than Boatright in my opinion.

It's not that I don't recognize Daniels's flashes of NBA potential but rather I've been watching Shabazz's placement on mock drafts very heavily. Best case scenario is that he played his way to a 25-30 pick in the first round. I would be esctatic is he was picked at 30 to the Spurs (estimated to have that pick). No way do I want Shabazz on a horrible team (Sorry Kemba). I want to see Shabazz develop an NBA game similar to how Lamb was luckily able to (thanks to horrible ownership in OKC trading Harden for tax-savings). My point here is: if Shabazz is likely to be the last first round pick, where exactly do we see Daniels and Boat going? This senior year can be huge for them, a chance to re-write the books on post tournament year after Kemba left. That early NCAA exit still haunts me.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Well, despite the fact he was drafted 9th, Kemba made that jump talent-wise. And yeah, the vast majority of players can't do this.

Husky25

Reaction Score

I don't know everyone, I'm new to the board but not new to UConn basketball or the NBA. I think I'm in the rare breed that actually enjoys both systems equally and watch too much for my own good (ask the girlfriend). But I'll be honest, and I await the vitriol about to come my way, Daniels and Boatright aren't even close to sniffing the first round. I don't think Boatright is draftable this year and Daniels could maybe be between picks 50-60?

This isn't a star-ladden draft class. It still remains to be seen what the highly touted Embiid, Wiggins, and Parker (if he declares) can bring to the NBA. However, this class is FULL of role players. A year or two ago this year's Dougie McD would've been arguably a Top 5 pick but this draft is so stocked with rotational role players that most analysts put him between 13-16.

I honestly don't see any reason for a college junior to enter the draft if he's not going to be surefire first round pick with a guaranteed contract. My words may seem harsh but I don't want either of these UConn boys drafted in the second round, to non-guaranteed money/roster spot, to only get cut in October. These two still have room to improve, Daniels more so than Boatright in my opinion.

It's not that I don't recognize Daniels's flashes of NBA potential but rather I've been watching Shabazz's placement on mock drafts very heavily. Best case scenario is that he played his way to a 25-30 pick in the first round. I would be esctatic is he was picked at 30 to the Spurs (estimated to have that pick). No way do I want Shabazz on a horrible team (Sorry Kemba). I want to see Shabazz develop an NBA game similar to how Lamb was luckily able to (thanks to horrible ownership in OKC trading Harden for tax-savings). My point here is: if Shabazz is likely to be the last first round pick, where exactly do we see Daniels and Boat going? This senior year can be huge for them, a chance to re-write the books on post tournament year after Kemba left. That early NCAA exit still haunts me.

Quality first post and allow me the honor of giving you your first "Like."

Napier has been rumored as going as high as the Celtics with pick number 18. If they move back (as you are indicating they could), pick up another future 1st round pick and still take Napier, I'd be all for it. I think Rondo still has a year on his deal and if Napier works out, his expiring contract will can be used to gather additional picks.

If Napier is 3 inches taller, he's in the lottery and we aren't having this discussion. But he's not and his height is a disadvantage vs. guards in the NBA. Yes, there are 5'11" - 6'1" players in the Association who are thriving, but in the absence of actual performance at an NBA level, GMs have no choice but to overweigh the tangibles in their analysis of a given player.

Reaction Score

Daniels already has late first round buzz this year. And nobody was selecting McDermott top 5. McDermott can't guard league small forwards

Reaction Score
Quality first post and allow me the honor of giving you your first "Like."

Napier has been rumored as going as high as the Celtics with pick number 18. If they move back (as you are indicating they could), pick up another future 1st round pick and still take Napier, I'd be all for it. I think Rondo still has a year on his deal and if Napier works out, his expiring contract will can be used to gather additional picks.

Don't even tease me with Shabazz going to the Celtics. I love the Huskies as much as the Cs. Even though I find myself to be one of Rondo's biggest supporters, I can't lie that seeing the Cs go in a new direction without Rondo knowing they have Stevens, another quality coach that can coach young players, I'd be pumped for Shabazz.

Or I'd be just as happy with Shabazz gobbling up Phil Pressey's minutes to be honest. Love Pressey, tons of heart but isn't Shabazz.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Well, despite the fact he was drafted 9th, Kemba made that jump talent-wise. And yeah, the vast majority of players can't do this.

Kemba made that jump between his sophomore and junior year, not junior and senior year.

A lot of NBA minds are already made up about DeAndre, and there is a big CJ Fair risk with him. This also feels like a draft with about 45 guys that could go in the first round if they nail their tryouts. Finally, the chance of Daniels and Boat cutting down the nets two years in a row is slim, so they won't get the postseason love that they got this year.

I don't see how Daniels ever becomes a lottery pick. I just don't think it is realistic. Daniels can be a quick small forward that should develop into a very good defender eventually. His realistic upside is a quality reserve, which is how the NBA seems to be viewing him. This is a really tough call.

Reaction Score

I still think DeAndre needs to show that he is dominant on a more consistent basis in order to elevate his draft stock. He was great over the last month of the season, but he only had 8 points on 4 of 14 shooting in the Championship game. If he is consistently good next year, he could wind up as a lottery pick.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Right, because as a pick in the 20s Snell was expected to be an elite wing right off the bat...take a look around the NBA, nobody in that draft is a "force", but I'm not really sure what the point of that is, its about getting drafted and continuing to develop, college isn't the only place you develop. Jimmy Butler played very little his rookie year and he's now one of the better 2 way wings in the NBA. As for the Ross comparison, I didn't see you list a reason why its not valid..

So you're saying Daniels would be better off going in the 20s now rather than staying, putting up a more consistent year just by getting more FGA game to game and potentially adding some strength? I'm not sure where this assumption that DD is a guarantee to fly up draft boards based on a couple big tourney games and some potentially good workouts comes from, Lamb was 3 years younger, had a better So year than Daniels had as a Jr and still went in the mid 1st in a fairly weak draft (depth wise). If Daniels stays, he can play himself into a lottery pick, if he leaves now he's at best a late 1st, which of those gives him more of an opportunity to succeed in the nba?

Also, Jimmy Butler actually played big minutes in the 2nd half of last year, and that was only due to injuries ravaging the bulls depth/backcourt.

DD would be much better served coming back and playing himself into a higher pick where he'll be paid more and given much more of an opportunity to shine (for 2nd contract purposes, which is what players and agents really prepare for anyways).

Reaction Score
Im resigned to both being gone. If either comes back it will be a surprising gift.
While both could improve their games by coming back, it is about draft stock perception, and it is hard to have better draft stock perception than coming off winning a National Championship.

What if we don't make a deep run next year? Who gets the blame for that? The two seniors: Boat and DD. A lot of risk for them coming back.

NBA doesn't care about march results, Parker isn't hurt by dook losing nor are Wiggins/Embiid by kansas losing. Added exposure can allow people to poke holes in your game just as much as see the things a player does well, look at Joakim Noah, or Matt Leinart from USC football.

Reaction Score
If age is his negative, what's the benefit of waiting another year to go in the draft?

It's already seen as a negative regardless if he goes now and being an older draft prospect who is both polished and physically ready vs one who is not...

Reaction Score
And what if he is not consistent? Does he gain or lose?

He loses over what his stock is right now.

You're crazy if you don't think DD would be in line to take ~5 more FGA next year. He'd be more consistent just because of that.

Reaction Score
So you're saying Daniels would be better off going in the 20s now rather than staying, putting up a more consistent year just by getting more FGA game to game and potentially adding some strength? I'm not sure where this assumption that DD is a guarantee to fly up draft boards based on a couple big tourney games and some potentially good workouts comes from, Lamb was 3 years younger, had a better So year than Daniels had as a Jr and still went in the mid 1st in a fairly weak draft (depth wise). If Daniels stays, he can play himself into a lottery pick, if he leaves now he's at best a late 1st, which of those gives him more of an opportunity to succeed in the nba?

Also, Jimmy Butler actually played big minutes in the 2nd half of last year, and that was only due to injuries ravaging the bulls depth/backcourt.

DD would be much better served coming back and playing himself into a higher pick where he'll be paid more and given much more of an opportunity to shine (for 2nd contract purposes, which is what players and agents really prepare for anyways).

Last year was Butler's 2nd season in the league, not his 1st, his rookie year he only played in 40 something games. Last year he saw minutes right off the bat and played in all 82 and was a steady contributor and really elevated himself in the playoffs. As for DD, I'm not pushing him towards him going, I'm putting the argument out there on why he could go and quite a few of ya'll are dismissing the value of workouts, guys rise and fall up the draft boards all the time because of them, I gave the perfect example in T Snell, Tim Hardaway Jr is another example who was not a first round lock by any means when he declared. GMs aren't basing their draft decisions on DraftExpress and NBADraft.net mock drafts, they are evaluating guys based on games and in person when they come in for workouts. Lastly, I keep seeing posts saying that DD can come back and dominate the whole season and improve his standing and draft stock, ya'll do realize we were expecting this type of consistent performance heading into this season and not just the occasional flash and then the impressive stretch to close it out, right? I mean he did the same thing last year that had us thinking we were going to see these type of performances game in and game out, I'm glad he finally turned it on but it wouldn't shock me if he was inconsistent again next year as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom