Chances of both Daniels and Boatright returning next year?? | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Chances of both Daniels and Boatright returning next year??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have a question I posted before but no one answered, with Daniels I am torn whether he goes or stays and can see it going either way, with Boatright is him going even a realistic option. Other than these message boards has anyone seen rumors / talks / mock drafts with Boatright on it? As a 5'11 guard who was second in command this year, I'm not sure him going this year is even worth discussing. Have people heard / read otherwise other than these message boards?

Have you read any quotes from Boat over the past 2 years? I don't believe he's going to enter, but the discussion has nothing to do with any mock drafts. He said coming into his sophomore year that he considered entering the draft after his freshman year, then coming into his junior year he said this would be his last year. His quotes during the beginning of the tourney makes it seems like he's wised up a bit and was leaning towards coming back, but that was also before the title run and him playing his best ball of the year. The speculation on Boat is based solely on the quotes he's given the past few years that show he's had his mind focused on the NBA. I'm sure Boat isn't the only player who's come thru the program who thinks like that, but he is the only one I can recall who has spoken so freely and open about it.

Reaction Score
I think often the guys who can develop the most in college are guys who perhaps lack confidence and need to grow mentally and emotionally. I completey agree that DD could raise his stock next year. I just think its stupid to think college develops players better than the NBA.

As for champs post, I think Lamb developed a ton in the D league. I watched him play there and he was running the point some and always the go to guy. I bet he developed there more than he would have at Uconn.

You might be right. I admit to not being overly familiar with the D-League, so if you watched him play, I'll take your word.

I feel like my point still stands, though: Lamb and a few others being exceptions, most of the time, the D-League is littered with guys who aren't real NBA prospects. Granted, certain guys (Jeff Adrien, Danny Green, Reggie Jackson, J-Lamb, etc.) have used it to vault themselves into more prominent roles in the NBA, but in general, if you're a high-end first round pick, teams aren't sending you there because it is almost admittance of a mistake.

If the D-League becomes a viable option, that's probably the NBA's best option. But right now, it just isn't utilized properly, at least not by everybody, which is why I think you can make the argument that a kid would be better off playing in college than he would be playing 5-10 minutes a game in the pros. So, while I agree with you that college doesn't develop kids better than the NBA, it's really a case-by-case basis in my opinion. Some might develop better in college, others might grow faster in the NBA. It depends on a lot of factors, draft position being one of them.

Reaction Score
Boat: 80%.

DD: 50%.

For those who aren't math majors, that would make 40% both come back.

Since Daniels is almost certainly not coming back, the probability of both coming back is almost zero. If you want a better probability of at least Boatright coming back, then it is at least 0.80 but not by a lot. (0.0001) (0.80) +(0.9999)((0.80) +(0.0001)(.20)

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Adrien doesn't really fit into this convo because he was who he was and even staying 4 years his height held him down when it came to draft stock.

Given how sparingly Deandre Jordan played his first couple of years I think ue may have been better staying. Even now he gets by on his physical skills rather than any discernable skill, especially offensively.

Overlooked here is that guys just develop at different rates, have different drives to improve, and most importantly have different ceilings. When guys don't fit the physical prototype for the NBA, it's even more difficult to predict that ceiling.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure I'll ever believe that DD has round 1 potential this year unless Ollie comes out and says it himself. Hard to imagine DD being a first rounder in a draft where Shabazz might not even go first. I understand they're two different players, ages, bodies, positions, but Shabazz is much more prepared for the nba than DD.

Teams picking in the late first round are projected to be the likes of the Rockets, Spurs, Heat, to name a few. Even if DD got picked late first round, you think he'd get lucky enough to actually play? It took Lamb what, two seasons before he cracked the rotation? It's so hard to believe the DD I see today would make it without more overall development.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Teams picking in the late first round are projected to be the likes of the Rockets, Spurs, Heat, to name a few. Even if DD got picked late first round, you think he'd get lucky enough to actually play? It took Lamb what, two seasons before he cracked the rotation? It's so hard to believe the DD I see today would make it without more overall development.

But the only thing that matters is that he developed. Lamb should have gone when he did and the results are paying off. He's going to earn a nice second contract.

Doesn't matter if you are ready right away. Fact is, most guys aren't.

Reaction Score
Overlooked here is that guys just develop at different rates, have different drives to improve, and most importantly have different ceilings. When guys don't fit the physical prototype for the NBA, it's even more difficult to predict that ceiling.

That's partly why I think he should stay. Stock can only go up with a big year and the higher he gets picked the more opportunity he'll have.

Reaction Score
What is the basis of this statement?

It's been discussed in another thread -- about someone speaking in his behalf.

His draft cannot go much higher that what it is (late first draft, probably close behind Bazz) right now, unless he stays to lead the Huskies to a repeat.

Reaction Score
It's been discussed in another thread -- about someone speaking in his behalf.

His draft cannot go much higher that what it is (late first draft, probably close behind Bazz) right now, unless he stays to lead the Huskies to a repeat.

Handlers or those who pretend to be a kids "handler" sometimes tip their hand on what THEY think the kid should do because they foresee some benefit as a result. Daniels has a serious decision to make. His father obviously does not fall into the category of a parent pressuring the kid to leave from everything I have read/heard. Ollie/Calhoun in this case will be the deciding factor. I think the coaching staff is getting mixed reviews on the prospects of DD from NBA personnel. His stock rose significantly during the tourney but he was completely OFF the radar before March Madness. My guess is DD could go as high as El-Amin went when he left early (early 2nd round).

Most of us reasonable minds new Boat would stay 4 years despite his repeated references to the NBA. Why? The coaching staff loves him to much to watch him make the biggest mistake of his life. Boat has a shot at the league right now with a breakout season next year. I think DD falls under this umbrella also.

Reaction Score
Handlers or those who pretend to be a kids "handler" sometimes tip their hand on what THEY think the kid should do because they foresee some benefit as a result. Daniels has a serious decision to make. His father obviously does not fall into the category of a parent pressuring the kid to leave from everything I have read/heard. Ollie/Calhoun in this case will be the deciding factor. I think the coaching staff is getting mixed reviews on the prospects of DD from NBA personnel. His stock rose significantly during the tourney but he was completely OFF the radar before March Madness. My guess is DD could go as high as El-Amin went when he left early (early 2nd round).

Most of us reasonable minds new Boat would stay 4 years despite his repeated references to the NBA. Why? The coaching staff loves him to much to watch him make the biggest mistake of his life. Boat has a shot at the league right now with a breakout season next year. I think DD falls under this umbrella also.

Bluedog, I understand your concerns and agree with your insights. Here is a recent draft news that may shed some light on the subject. Notice that Bazz is now 18th. Look up Daniels, too.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2014mock_draft

Reaction Score
It's possible Bazz and Daniels may even move up to at around #15 and #21, respectively. Pretty much depends on which NBA executives are calling the shots.

Reaction Score

I don't disagree. In Deandre Jordan's case he would have been given much more playing time and in game opportunity with the ball in his hands. Hard to get that in game opportunity unless you're a lottery pick usually.

Reaction Score
I thought so, too. In fact, I felt he would have gone higher than Siva. And where is Siva now?

Siva has actually been getting some decent minutes lately with the Pistons. As for Russ Smith, the fact that he's not considered a first round pick or at least an early second kind of baffles me. Great, great college player, who, while may be a tweener at the next level, certainly seems capable of playing a reserve role somewhere.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Every other mock draft I've seen is not as hopeful for Deandre.

Reaction Score
NBADraft.net is not an informed site. Just some dudes' opinions. Take it with a grain of salt.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
NBADraft.net is not an informed site. Just some dudes' opinions. Take it with a grain of salt.
Not for nothing, but all mock drafts are "some dudes' opinions." Some are just more educated than others. There are more trades in two rounds of the NBA Draft than in seven rounds of the NFL draft. It would be foolhardy for a GM to let show their hand early.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom