Chances of both Daniels and Boatright returning next year?? | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Chances of both Daniels and Boatright returning next year??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's so obvious that some people here are letting their UConn fandom cloud their judgment. DeAndre will raise his stock if he consistently puts up these big games we've seen from him, sure. But it's far from a given that he'll do that. If he has his off nights like this year, then his stock doesn't get better. In fact, unless we win another national title, it's unlikely his stock does anything except drop.

Not saying he should definitely go, but some people are making it seem like it's a no-brainer for him to stay. It's not, and if he decides to declare for the draft I hope our fans take the high road rather than bashing him for "making a mistake."

I'd wish him the best of luck whatever he decides to do. Winning the title this year and whatever hsppens next year has very little to do with Daniels stock though, he'll be judged on his performance and his skills.

Reaction Score
Kemba's not much bigger than Shabazz and he went #9, and I think it's his athleticism, rather than his height, that made the difference. Boat has the athleticism.

Not only that, but an entire year of proving he can run the point will help his stock as well.

Reaction Score
Daniels honestly wont change his draft stock anymore in my opinion if he comes back and plays strong next year. Right now hes late 1st at best. If he comes back next year stronger , improves his consistency , and basically his overall game. He will still be drafted about the same , mainly because his age is holding him back. SO his focus should be on making as big an impact on the league when he gets there. Similar player is Chandler Parsons ; 4 year guy, 6-9, shooter , underrated athleticism, all around game. He went in early second round to houston. now he is a starter averaging 16-5-5. Deandre can reach that easily to me. So IMO , he should come back, not because of draft position , but because it will increase his chance of staying in the league and reaching that 2nd contract.

Reaction Score
I don't think people realize how difficult it is for a senior to get drafted in the lottery, let alone a senior who is 23 years old.

Also, I don't know where the whole narrative started that guys develop more in college than the NBA, but I just don't think it's true.

Reaction Score
I don't think people realize how difficult it is for a senior to get drafted in the lottery, let alone a senior who is 23 years old.

Also, I don't know where the whole narrative started that guys develop more in college than the NBA, but I just don't think it's true.

Wesley Johnson was like 24 and a top 10 pick. Being a 4 year player doesn't matter if you both have good numbers and what scouts/gm's discern to be nba skills.

Also, players clearly develop more in college than the nba, without getting into the "who spends more time working with thw players" argument, the fact is that you develop more physically from 18-22.

Reaction Score

It's not that you develop more in college. It's that you have to be ready for the NBA or else you get cut.

Reaction Score
Wesley Johnson was like 24 and a top 10 pick. Being a 4 year player doesn't matter if you both have good numbers and what scouts/gm's discern to be nba skills.

Also, players clearly develop more in college than the nba, without getting into the "who spends more time working with thw players" argument, the fact is that you develop more physically from 18-22.

The NBA spends much more time working with their players. It's a year round job. I understand that there is a natural physical development that takes place when a kid is college aged, but that's not really the point. Given the option of the NBA or college, a player is going to develop more in the NBA.

Reaction Score
The NBA spends much more time working with their players. It's a year round job. I understand that there is a natural physical development that takes place when a kid is college aged, but that's not really the point. Given the option of the NBA or college, a player is going to develop more in the NBA.

I disagree wholeheartedly. There's too much going on in season (back to backs, 3in4, 4in5) and traveling for a ton of development to take place.

Reaction Score
I disagree wholeheartedly. There's too much going on in season (back to backs, 3in4, 4in5) and traveling for a ton of development to take place.
Well, there are no practice maximums and what not. A ton of development takes place in the league.

Reaction Score
DD is not a lottery pick, so don't confuse emotion with reality. He needs strength and a better handle. He had a few really good tourney games, but his handle and upper body strength needs work. As for Boat, he needs to get stronger, improve his outside shooting, and learn how to rise up and take the mid-range instead of taking the ball into the crowded middle. Love both these guys, and hope they stay.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
DD is not a lottery pick, so don't confuse emotion with reality. He needs strength and a better handle. He had a few really good tourney games, but his handle and upper body strength needs work. As for Boat, he needs to get stronger, improve his outside shooting, and learn how to rise up and take the mid-range instead of taking the ball into the crowded middle. Love both these guys, and hope they stay.

He's been rising and firing on the mid range a fair bit; best example was that huge bucket over Randle late in the Final. He's got decent strength too imo. But he definitely needs to work on his outside shooting.

Reaction Score

You don't need to be drafted in the lottery. If you can go from late second round to late first round (like, say, Shabazz), you'll be doing yourself a pretty big favor with a guaranteed contract, etc., no?

Reaction Score

Popovich is not working out the Spurs' young guys on the mornings of game days. That's why they have a staff of coaches. You're kidding yourself if you think a young kid - a young kid a team has invested in for the future - is not getting a lot more focused instruction in the NBA than he would be in college.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
You don't need to be drafted in the lottery. If you can go from late second round to late first round (like, say, Shabazz), you'll be doing yourself a pretty big favor with a guaranteed contract, etc., no?

I totally agree. But many people in this thread have been saying that he'll be a lottery pick if he comes back next year.

Reaction Score
Daniels will be a late first rounder whether he goes this year or next. It's about how quickly he wants the guaranteed contract. Obviously we'd all love to have him back next year but we can't blame him for leaving and taking the money now.

Reaction Score
if I had to take a wild guess I would tell you DD is leaving and Boat is staying based on what I saw at the parade, obviously I wish both would stay but if I had to choose I would rather Boat stay.

Reaction Score
that dude is one of the more annoying AAU characters around, and now with DHam you're gonna have to hear him spout nonsense for a few more years.

FWIW, here is Daniels' former AAU coach going at it with people on Twitter about DD's rankings coming out of high school, and he dropped this little nugget:
Evan Daniels ‏@EvanDaniels
@trigonis30 @GoodmanESPN 12 of 30 people ranked ahead of DD are already in NBA. 8 more will come out this year. Way more right than wrong
https://twitter.com/trigonis30/status/455777143830495232

Reaction Score
that dude is one of the more annoying AAU characters around, and now with DHam you're gonna have to hear him spout nonsense for a few more years.
Yeah, I saw the conversation and had no idea how DeAndre had entered into it since it all started with a tweet about Montrezl Harrel going pro.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I saw the conversation and had no idea how DeAndre had entered into it since it all started with a tweet about Montrezl Harrel going pro.

all in an effort to pump up his boy(this isn't a shot at DD, just this guy and his self promoting ways), he's crying that Evan Daniels and the Scout guys had him ranked too "low" @ 31, when given the way he's performed through 3 years there's nothing wrong with that ranking at all. all season long it was Bazz and Boat don't pass DD the ball when he slept walked thru a game, then when he plays well its "see what happens when they pass", that dude and alot of those west coast AAU mafia guys are clowns. Ed Isaacson who runs NBA Draft Blog lit him up on twitter the other night.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
The following player was selected #12 based almost exclusively what he did his senior year.

3yr average (Fr.-Jr)
(G) 30, (GS) 8, (MPG) 10.77, (FG%) 52, (FT%) 47, (RPG) 3, (APG) .53, (SPG) .2, (BPG) .87, (PPG) 3

Senior Year
(G) 34, (GS) 33, (MPG) 27.7, (FG%) 50, (FT%) 69, (RPG) 6.6, (APG) .7, (SPG) .6, (BPG) 3.1, (PPG) 9.7

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Let The Kid Get His Money. He Clearly Wants It. Had A Solid College Carr. Let Us Start Developing Facey next.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I worry about our front court depth if Daniels leaves.

If he's gotten word he'll go Round 1, it makes sense to come out.

It sucks they can't test the waters, work out and then see where they stand and either enter it come back now. Just another way to screw the players.

Reaction Score
The idea that players can't develop their skills once they are in the NBA or won't be given the time to develop is one of the biggest BS myths of all time.

To find a player who has improved his skills after joining the NBA just randomly pick a player from any starting NBA lineup, chances are they have improved their skills after joining the league.

I'm sure Cincy fans thought Lance Stephenson was making a mistake.

Last edited:

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
The following player was selected #12 based almost exclusively what he did his senior year.

YearTeamGPGSMPGFG%3P%FT%RPGAPGSPGBPGPPG
2002–03322210.8.545.000.5002.8.7.2.72.8
2003–043519.1.500.000.3882.8.3.1.72.4
2004–0530012.4.519.000.5253.4.6.31.23.8
2005–06343327.7.608.500.6926.6.7.63.19.7
Career1315615.1.563.333.5783.9.6.31.44.7

Hilton was a late bloomer, DD was a full-time starter by his sophomore year and was a huge part of our national championship run. Bad example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom