Chances of both Daniels and Boatright returning next year?? | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Chances of both Daniels and Boatright returning next year??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Hilton was a late bloomer, DD was a full-time starter by his sophomore year and was a huge part of our national championship run. Bad example.
Daniels was incredibly inconsistent and a third scoring option. He will be 1 or 1a his senior year. If he gets a guaranteed contract, I say: Thanks for the memories. If there is even a chance that he goes in the second round, I say: let's make some more memories.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm basically taking it as a given that Boatright will be back this year, he wants to be "the guy" and isn't projected to be picked in the draft anyway.

I expect to see DD back too. I think he's teetering on the edge of being a great player but his consistency isn't there yet. A solid senior year could put him firmly into the 18-25 pick range. He seems like he's very comfortable at UConn with KO, doesn't look like he's going to rush it.

Reaction Score
I'm basically taking it as a given that Boatright will be back this year, he wants to be "the guy" and isn't projected to be picked in the draft anyway.

I expect to see DD back too. I think he's teetering on the edge of being a great player but his consistency isn't there yet. A solid senior year could put him firmly into the 18-25 pick range. He seems like he's very comfortable at UConn with KO, doesn't look like he's going to rush it.

I expect Boat to be back, but reading the tea leaves, I expect DD to declare for the draft. Of the two, he was always the more likely to go. And it seems like he's leaning in that direction, based on some of the internet chatter above.

Reaction Score
The idea that players can't develop their skills once they are in the NBA or won't be given the time to develop is one of the biggest BS myths of all time.

To find a player who has improved his skills after joining the NBA just randomly pick a player from any starting NBA lineup, chances are they have improved their skills after joining the league.

I'm sure Cincy fans thought Lance Stephenson was making a mistake.
You are wrong, especially if the guy isn't a first round pick. First round picks do get 3 years to develop, but if they are not NBA ready its only a last resort to send them to the NBDL for PT and the NBDL sucks/no development. So then at NBA level the TIME is there and there are assistant coaches to work on player development, but the quality of that depends heavily on the team (i.e. not Philly) AND most importantly is almost entirely up to the individual. If you are AD and you are motivated that works and a 1st year with limited playing time is beneficial. But someone like Gerald Green finds themselves out of the league and playing in Europe. He is a great example, extremely talented but came in with little BBall IQ, immature and not a hard worker. Burned thru his rookie deal and then took him a few years to get back into the league.

So if DD is a borderline prospect right now (FACT) why not get better at basketball, learn to be more consistent, gain some strength etc.. AND most importantly name notoriety that gets you into the first round?
If he's north of 50% chance of first rounder I'd say go, but it is both riskier and less lucrative than sticking around another year if he believes in his NBA talent.

P.S. Lance Stephenson DID make a mistake! He's was picked 40th. He's in his 4th season and has NEVER made more than $1M per year. That is chump change for a player of his caliber. He is going to finally get paid this year, but he came out too early and cost himself millions AND didn't develop as quickly (barely played yr 1-2). This is admittedly extreme and ridiculous but he could have played 4yrs at Cincy and made more $ by being the #1 pick last year. He'll finally make his $ this summer.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Daniels was incredibly inconsistent and a third scoring option. He will be 1 or 1a his senior year. If he gets a guaranteed contract, I say: Thanks for the memories. If there is even a chance that he goes in the second round, I say: let's make some more memories.

If you want to argue that DD is incredibly inconsistent, fine. But don't you think there's a decent chance that, if he's still incredibly inconsistent by the end of his junior year, that maybe he's just an inconsistent player? And if he's still inconsistent next year, that his draft stock will plummet?

His stock is very high right now. He could improve upon it if he has a big year...but he could hurt it, too, if he doesn't improve. While I'd be thrilled if he came back, if he does go, it's not a bad move.

Husky25

Reaction Score
If you want to argue that DD is incredibly inconsistent, fine. But don't you think there's a decent chance that, if he's still incredibly inconsistent by the end of his junior year, that maybe he's just an inconsistent player? And if he's still inconsistent next year, that his draft stock will plummet?
His stock is very high right now. He could improve upon it if he has a big year...but he could hurt it, too, if he doesn't improve. While I'd be thrilled if he came back, if he does go, it's not a bad move.

Potentially...It's only a bad move if Daniels is a 1st rounder this year. There is no guarantee and it only takes one team, but most people have him going in the latter part of the second round. He does not hurt his value by coming back unless he breaks his coccyx or something.

Looks like you are new to this thread, so I'll go back and find one of my posts that you may have glossed over.

We'll see.
Daniels was woefully inconsistent until Rutgers on March 5, at which time he was probably fully healthy from his high ankle sprain. He missed two games but most likely played hurt in the rest. From 3/5 on, he played at least 21 minutes with only one game under 26. He was in double figures in all but two games as well, during one of those getting into early foul trouble in the National Title game (One could argue phantom fouls, but it still happened). Finally, the best 4 games in that stretch from 3/5 were arguably the Sweet Sixteen, Elite Eight, Final Four, and National Title game.
It is absolutely true that Daniels' stock is at its historical highest, but I don't believe it is at it's peak. He was third chair while accomplishing the above. He will be at least 1b next year and with a consistency game in and game out, he can certainly move into the lottery and possibly a top 5 pick.

a la Hilton Armstrong.

pj

Reaction Score
Didn't we just watch these guys win a national championship? If DD falls to the latter part of the second round, the NBA is insane. He has to find the right landing place to fit in, but most late second rounders don't make the league. I would be shocked if DD didn't make a team.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Didn't we just watch these guys win a national championship? If DD falls to the latter part of the second round, the NBA is insane. He has to find the right landing place to fit in, but most late second rounders don't make the league. I would be shocked if DD didn't make a team.
It's not that I doubt Daniels would make a team. That is irrelevant. Second rounders don't get a guaranteed contract. Big Baby has made a nice little career for himself and has a championship ring.

Reaction Score
The wildcard is the international impact. 7 guys from overseas were drafted in the first round last year.

#'s 15, 16, 17, 19, 27, 28, and 30. Daniels could get bumped by some guys teams have no intention of signing for a few years. The NBA draft is a nightmare for borderline guys. I think Deandre should come back. If he plays a full season the way he did the tournament, he should be a top 20 pick, and less likely to drop to the 2nd round.

That said, Deandre is going to get better information from Ollie via the scouts than any of us have. So he should weigh his options and make the best decision for himself. Hopefully that means coming back next year.

Husky25

Reaction Score
The wildcard is the international impact. 7 guys from overseas were drafted in the first round last year.

#'s 15, 16, 17, 19, 27, 28, and 30. Daniels could get bumped by some guys a team has no intention of signing for a few years. The NBA draft is a nightmare for borderline guys. I think Deandre should come back. If he plays a full season the way he did the tournament, he should be a top 20 pick, and less likely to drop to the 2nd round.

That said, Deandre is going to get better information from Ollie via the scouts than any of us have. So he should weigh his options and make the best decision for himself. Hopefully that means coming back next year.
I just check 6 separate Mock drafts. Granted that 3 of them were CBS's and haven't been updated in 3 weeks, but Daniels was not to found in any of them, even the ones that predicted both rounds. Daniels has to declare by the 27th, so we will know within 2 weeks. Tomorrow is the deadline to return to school if the player has already declared.

Reaction Score
As to the guy saying Boat will not de a first rounder bc Bazz is projected end of the first/early second - you do realize how wildly inaccurate mock drafts are, right? Best to take a wait and see approach. I wouldn't be surprised if he rises to the middle of the first.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Potentially...It's only a bad move if Daniels is a 1st rounder this year. There is no guarantee and it only takes one team, but most people have him going in the latter part of the second round. He does not hurt his value by coming back unless he breaks his coccyx or something.

If DD is actually a late second-rounder, then he's obviously coming back. You're too focused on online mock drafts; those are far from gospel. I don't know that DD is a first-rounder, but if he's projected in the late first by scouts then it's not at all a bad idea to jump, and his stock next year could absolutely drop if he doesn't consistently play great his senior year.

Reaction Score
I just check 6 separate Mock drafts. Granted that 3 of them were CBS's and haven't been updated in 3 weeks, but Daniels was not to found in any of them, even the ones that predicted both rounds. Daniels has to declare by the 27th, so we will know within 2 weeks. Tomorrow is the deadline to return to school if the player has already declared.

If it's on the internet it must be true.

Reaction Score
Well, there are no practice maximums and what not. A ton of development takes place in the league.

Not during the season, for the reasons I stated. Regardless, how many NBA teams have the track record for development that UConn has

Reaction Score
Popovich is not working out the Spurs' young guys on the mornings of game days. That's why they have a staff of coaches. You're kidding yourself if you think a young kid - a young kid a team has invested in for the future - is not getting a lot more focused instruction in the NBA than he would be in college.

Are you talking about the same franchise that routinely stashes young prospects in Europe specifically because the Spurs themselves think theyll develop more there than by their own staff? Ok, just making sure.

Reaction Score
Are you talking about the same franchise that routinely stashes young prospects in Europe specifically because the Spurs themselves think theyll develop more there than by their own staff? Ok, just making sure.

Yup, the very same. It sounds like you think you made some sort of point - I'd take another look if I were you. It's always entertaining to hear the uninformed lecture others about how informed they are.

Reaction Score
It's not that I doubt Daniels would make a team. That is irrelevant. Second rounders don't get a guaranteed contract. Big Baby has made a nice little career for himself and has a championship ring.

2nd rounders like him and Arenas are physically ready and pretty much are who they are when they got drafted. Daniels still has some developing to do, and unless you're a very high pick that the team is heavily invested in the player usually doesn't get that opportunity

Reaction Score
Yup, the very same. It sounds like you think you made some sort of point - I'd take another look if I were you. It's always entertaining to hear the uninformed lecture others about how informed they are.
It feels like a lot of people who disparage the NBA haven't really watched since the 1999-2005 period. When people talk about how little defense is played, or how players don't develop, or things of the sort, it's like they haven't realized how the game has evolved at the pro level.

Thankfully, KO does.

Reaction Score

Not even sure how you can attempt to refute that. Whatever it takes to argue though, right?

It's cute that you think DD will be a 2nd round pick and get all this massive development time. How'd that ever work put for Price or Adrien?

Sad that people can't discuss things like this without getting chippy about it.

Reaction Score
Wesley Johnson was like 24 and a top 10 pick. Being a 4 year player doesn't matter if you both have good numbers and what scouts/gm's discern to be nba skills.

Just going to bump this back up for anyone who thinks age is a total nonstarter when it comes to being a high pick.

Reaction Score
KO is probably the best coach for this kind of consultation. he isn't like damn boeheim throwing his players under the bus. it really depends on how DD works out for individual teams, some gm's might already have an eye on him late first round. Go for it if so. Honestly don't know if DD has the drive to survive being a 2nd round pick and to fight for his life/contract. I hate that belmont shores dude, and the fact that he is connected to dham enrages me.

Reaction Score
It feels like a lot of people who disparage the NBA haven't really watched since the 1999-2005 period. When people talk about how little defense is played, or how players don't develop, or things of the sort, it's like they haven't realized how the game has evolved at the pro level.

Thankfully, KO does.

Perry Jones, Jeremy Lamb, Johnny Flynn, Joe Alexander, etc. Are all guys who never were or having yet been given proper chances in the NBA. If Daniels comes back, he'll improve his draft stock. He was in most cases the number 3 guy this year, next year he'll be 1 or 1a. More shot attempts=more points on a consistent basis. And he'll get guaranteed development on the floor, which is something he won't get for at least a couple of years if he jumps to the nba now.

Reaction Score
Perry Jones, Jeremy Lamb, Johnny Flynn, Joe Alexander, etc. Are all guys who never were or having yet been given proper chances in the NBA. If Daniels comes back, he'll improve his draft stock. He was in most cases the number 3 guy this year, next year he'll be 1 or 1a. More shot attempts=more points on a consistent basis. And he'll get guaranteed development on the floor, which is something he won't get for at least a couple of years if he jumps to the nba now.
Perry Jones was drafted around 30, to a great team. Who should he consistently play over?

Lamb does very well when he gets minutes. He doesn't get a ton of minutes. That means he's not developing?

Sorry, Johnny Flynn was terrible. He was given all the time in the world to run a team in the league, and was putrid. Next thing you know, you're going to point to Austin Rivers. Flynn, Alexander, Telfair, Rivers, etc. are more examples of bad NBA talent evaluators on certain teams than bad talent developers.

Reaction Score
Perry Jones was drafted around 30, to a great team. Who should he consistently play over?

Lamb does very well when he gets minutes. He doesn't get a ton of minutes. That means he's not developing?

Sorry, Johnny Flynn was terrible. He was given all the time in the world to run a team in the league, and was putrid. Next thing you know, you're going to point to Austin Rivers. Flynn, Alexander, Telfair, Rivers, etc. are more examples of bad NBA talent evaluators on certain teams than bad talent developers.

Both Jones and Lamb are on a team that gives big minutes to a washed up Perk and Fisher. Great team but very little depth. Hard to believe they can't find more than 12mpg for a guy who was in the discussion of being a top pick that year.

My point on Flynn was that he showed absolutely no development. Even if he was never destined to be a star, he didn't show improvement in any area of his game.

And Alexander was a prime example of never being given the opportunity, do you not remember how he destroyed us in 09, and particularly, the scoring versatility he seemed to have?

Reaction Score
If you have watched Lamb play for the Thunder and think he hasn't developed you should pick a new sport.

You can pick a guy who hasn't developed and I can pick two who have. How bout Lamb's teammate Reggie Jackson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom