CFP Rankings | Page 3 | The Boneyard

CFP Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
While I'm happy to see Memphis still in the Top 25, I still don't have any idea how Navy and Houston are below a slew of 2 loss teams. LSU, FSU, Utah, Michigan, and Stanford have all been more than pedestrian of late. Tough to crack the P5 old money club.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
businesslawyer said:
I just don't understand that. Not a single person would argue if Yale or Fairfield went undefeated in hoops that they were the best team in the country or should be seeded no. 1 in a schedule. If Toledo had gone undefeated, would you really think they deserved to be in a 4 team football playoff?

I know there is no single "right" answer on how you combine SOS with win-loss record, but you have to try.

Those teams don't play on the same level. What the committee is doing is splitting too fine a hair when it comes to P5 strength of schedule. The middle and bottom of the SEC is the same as the P12 and every other conference. One might be slightly better a couple decimals places in, but if the idea is to find the best team, I'm starting with teams that haven't been beaten.

This year I would put an undefeated AAC champ in that mix as well. There are 4 ranked teams in the league and each has a win over a P5. They'd be last, but if only 4 made it through, I'd put them in.

Won't happen of course because it's a shady business.

Dooley

Reaction Score
The myth of Oklahoma State dies this week and get buried the following week.

If I'm mistaken, I seem to remember the ESPN telecast saying that ALL of the B12 contenders still have to go to Stillwater. If that's true, there is no way OK State gets through it undefeated. They'll likely lose to OU and/or Baylor. If Boykins plays, TCU too.

I would say that the B12's only hope is for OU to win out. At 1 loss, they have the old money brand recognition that the other B12 schools (besides Texas) don't. TCU, Baylor, Ok State, K State...all of them would need to go undefeated without a CG. But OU and Texas are old old money and could get in with 1 loss, if things break right. Right now, things are breaking perfectly for OU if they win out.

Dooley

Reaction Score
There is not a doubt in my mind that Houston, Memphis, Navy and Temple can play with anyone in the country from any conference. Alabama would be the toughest matchup. After that, Clemson, Ohio St, ND, OU, Ok State, Utah, Stanford, Mich St, Baylor, TCU...whoever. All 4 of the AAC teams can compete with all of those teams THIS YEAR and would have a chance at winning. And this is coming from a guy who was really down on the AAC until this year.

Reaction Score
If I'm mistaken, I seem to remember the ESPN telecast saying that ALL of the B12 contenders still have to go to Stillwater. If that's true, there is no way OK State gets through it undefeated. They'll likely lose to OU and/or Baylor. If Boykins plays, TCU too.

I would say that the B12's only hope is for OU to win out. At 1 loss, they have the old money brand recognition that the other B12 schools (besides Texas) don't. TCU, Baylor, Ok State, K State...all of them would need to go undefeated without a CG. But OU and Texas are old old money and could get in with 1 loss, if things break right. Right now, things are breaking perfectly for OU if they win out.

OK State has Baylor (this week) and OU (next week) both at home. They beat TCU November 7 in Stillwater. Being OK State it's hard to imagine them winning both but it would make things very interesting if they did especially since one of the B1G teams ahead of them will finish with at least one loss.

Reaction Score
1. Clemson
2. Alabama
3. Oklahoma
4. Iowa
5. Michigan State
6. Notre Dame
7. Baylor
8. Ohio State
9. Stanford
10. Michigan
11. Oklahoma State
12. Florida
13. Florida State
14. North Carolina
15. Navy
16. Northwestern
17. Oregon
18. Mississippi
19. TCU
20. Washington State
21. Mississippi State
22. UCLA
23. Utah
24. Toledo
25. Temple

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Both Navy and Memphis drop out, Temple back in and Toledo is also back.

I heard though that Toledo loses a tiebreaker to N Illinois so likely won't qualify for the MAC championship game and therefore can't be a conference champion? Certainly if Navy, Houston or Temple win out they would be in the NY 6 bowl. Nightmare scenario for the AAC would be if USF managed to steal it because they sure as hell wouldn't be ranked.

Reaction Score
Win or lose OSU is done because MSU beats PSU Unless the following happens.

Iowa v Mich St. would be a very unusual CC game given Hawkeye resume and MSU QB issues. For the sake of argument let's say Iowa wins.

Oklahoma could now lose without starting QB. A game they should comfortably win otherwise against Ok St.. If they do Big 12 probably watches again.

Could come down to ND Stanford result and PAC 12 CC Game for last spot if Oklahoma loses and Iowa wins B1G. Then Baylor wins and hopes for a Stanford win over ND then PAC CG loss and hope they don't have OSU leap them with a win over Michigan. But would the committee really select 2 teams from B1G only to shut out Big 12 again?

Got all that?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Talk about a win-win. BCU loses and drops ND 2 spots in the process.

well played.jpg

Reaction Score
What happens if UNC runs the table and beats Clemson. That means they would have 1 loss and beat the #1 team in the committees eyes. Not to mention their only loss came in week 1 at USCe.

That would cause a clusterF

Reaction Score
What happens if UNC runs the table and beats Clemson. That means they would have 1 loss and beat the #1 team in the committees eyes. Not to mention their only loss came in week 1 at USCe.

That would cause a clusterF
If that did happen... it could mean no ACC team in playoff, instead it's Bama, Oklahoma, B1G champ (Iowa or MSU), and ND. This means ND gets in without having to have played in ACC CG, and having lost to Clemson already! Yes please, and pass the popcorn.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
8 team playoff begins next year. Mark it down now.
Someone is getting left out thus causing a major disruption.
Love it. Chaos in College Football.

Reaction Score
Week 13 - http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/view-rankings

1. Clemson
2. Alabama
3. Oklahoma
4. Iowa,
5. Michigan State
6. Ohio State
7. Stanford
8. Notre Dame
9. Florida State
10. North Carolina
11. TCU
12. Baylor
13. Mississippi
14. Northwestern
15. Michigan
16. Oregon
17. Oklahoma State
18. Florida
19. Houston
20. Southern California
21. LSU
22. Temple
23. Navy

24. Utah
25. Tennessee

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
This is the new boss, same as the old boss. The committee still favors reputation over results. The correct rankings for this week should be:

1. Clemson - undefeated in major conference play
2. Michigan St - the best 1 loss resume
3. Oklahoma - the second best 1 loss resume by a conference champion
4. Iowa - undefeated in major conference play but didn't play the other top 3 teams in its conference. No OOC wins of note.
5. Alabama - 1 loss conference leader
6. Ohio State - 1 loss non-conference champion
7. Stanford - best 2 loss resume
8. Notre Dame - next best 2 loss
9. Michigan - next 2 loss
10. Baylor - next 2 loss
11. UNC - 1 loss but played no other top 25 teams.

The SEC played no one OOC in general and Bama's best wins are against conference also-rans. The SEC just isn't as good as the B1G, P12 or B12 in terms of top teams. No one cares if the 8th best team in the SEC is better than the 8th team in other conferences. Bama may be the best team, but if it's 5 for 4 spots right now, they should be out, or 4th at best after the B1G CCG.

Reaction Score
This is the new boss, same as the old boss. The committee still favors reputation over results. The correct rankings for this week should be:

1. Clemson - undefeated in major conference play
2. Michigan St - the best 1 loss resume
3. Oklahoma - the second best 1 loss resume by a conference champion
4. Iowa - undefeated in major conference play but didn't play the other top 3 teams in its conference. No OOC wins of note.
5. Alabama - 1 loss conference leader
6. Ohio State - 1 loss non-conference champion
7. Stanford - best 2 loss resume
8. Notre Dame - next best 2 loss
9. Michigan - next 2 loss
10. Baylor - next 2 loss
11. UNC - 1 loss but played no other top 25 teams.

The SEC played no one OOC in general and Bama's best wins are against conference also-rans. The SEC just isn't as good as the B1G, P12 or B12 in terms of top teams. No one cares if the 8th best team in the SEC is better than the 8th team in other conferences. Bama may be the best team, but if it's 5 for 4 spots right now, they should be out, or 4th at best after the B1G CCG.
Michigan has 3 losses. Move everyone up a spot.

Reaction Score
Final rankings:

1. Clemson
2. Alabama
3. Michigan State
4. Oklahoma

Tigers-Sooners, Orange Bowl
Tide-Spartans, Cotton Bowl

Reaction Score
Final rankings:

1. Clemson
2. Alabama
3. Michigan State
4. Oklahoma

Tigers-Sooners, Orange Bowl
Tide-Spartans, Cotton Bowl

5. Iowa
6. Stanford
7. Ohio State
8. Notre Dame
9. Florida State
10. North Carolina
11. TCU
12. Mississippi
13. Northwestern
14. Michigan
15. Oregon
16. Oklahoma State
17. Baylor
18. Houston
19. Florida
20. LSU
21 Navy
22 Utah
23 Tennessee
24 Temple
25 USC

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Rose: Iowa v Stanford
Sugar: Ok St v. Ole Miss
Peach: Houston v. Florida St.
Fiesta: ND v Ohio St.

It's good to be B1G.

Big: 3
Sec: 2
B12: 2
ACC: 2
P12: 1
AAC: 1
Ind: 1

Reaction Score
Can anyone explain to me why USC is #25 with 5 losses? They have a 2-3 record against ranked teams this year. Just looks bad on the ranking committee to have a 5 loss team in the top 25. Looked bad when they we #20 last week and had 4 losses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom