CFP Rankings | Page 2 | The Boneyard

CFP Rankings

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
b12 schedule is insanely back loaded and none of them played anybody ooc ('cept okl-tenn). their big 4 start playing each other this week and winners will move up. still I gotta think the big-12 winner needs to be a game better than everybody else due to one less game and weak ooc..... if they don't get a clear conference champ, they'll get a repeat of last year.

Reaction Score
They are making it up as they go along. Alabama has absolutely no business being in the Top 4. Why is 1 loss Alabama ranked higher than 1 loss Florida? It's not like Alabama has dominated mediocre teams like Tennessee and Arkansas. Clemson has 1 really good win, and then has beaten a bunch of teams that will finish with 6 or 7 wins.

I know there is a long time for a Big 12 team to play its way into the Top 4, but the committee is clearly saying that the name on the front of the jersey carries a lot of weight.

Why bother playing the games?
Exactly right...if it was an undefeated Oklahoma and Texas instead of Baylor and TCU, they'd be ahead of ND and Alabama. ,

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
They are making it up as they go along. ....
Why bother playing the games?

Have you seen the list of people that make up the college football playoff committee? It's laughable. Mike Tranghese and Condoleeza Rice? Really?

It's like quick... people will notice this is Stop we better throw in Barry Alverez and Tom Osbourne to make it seem legit.

It's basically a list of ancient vaguely football related people that didn't have anything better to do.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Not sure why anyone would sweat the rankings until the end - and they got them right at the end last year.

Might not be worth claiming conspiracy theories yet.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Not sure why anyone would sweat the rankings until the end - and they got them right at the end last year.

Might not be worth claiming conspiracy theories yet.

I'm not claiming conspiracies... and I've got no doubt they'll zero in on whatever the 'consensus' top 4 will be. It's not exactly difficult... their job is basically to maintain the status quo... I'm sure they'll do a satisfactory job of that.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
How/why would this shake up an independent ND?
P5 pushes ND to join a conference so they'd participate as a conference champ (or 2nd team) so they're not jumping conference champs. It would be a non-starter if/when the playoff moves to 8 teams.

Reaction Score
Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN Nightmare @CFBPlayoff scenario: Memphis, Ole Miss, Alabama win out. Is SEC champ Ole Miss left out? Will committee consider head-to-head?

Uh--this might be a clusterfrig of epic proportions.

What do you do if all these 3 teams win out?

Leave out the SEC champ? 1 loss Alabama? A team that beat the SEC champ that beat Alabama?

I'd love to see these 3 teams win out to see what they do.

Actually, I'd love to see Alabama lose and Ole Miss win out just to make this decision doubly hard on the committee.

Reaction Score
SportSourceAnalytics‏@SportSourceA
Here is the CFP Top 25 ranked by "Combined Record of Defeated Teams". #CFPRankings #whodidyoubeat #CFBPlayoff

CTIgu_RWEAALPWh.png

Reaction Score
Florida 9 Vanderbilt 7

Houston 34 Vanderbilt 0

Does it matter? Think I'll just root for ND to win out and wait till the smoke clears.

Reaction Score
Norte Dame will move in, LSU will drop out. 1/3 of the T25 lost this week:
#2 LSU
# 7 Michigan St
#8 TCU
#13 Memphis
#16 FSU
#18 Ole Miss
#19 Texas A&M
#24 Toledo

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If this doesn't convince the B12 it needs to get off its backside and expand, I don't know what will. Nobody inside the Top 4 will lose again this year. If either Stanford or Utah win out (including a CHAMPIONSHIP GAME), then both would seemingly leapfrog any B12 team ahead of them - undefeated or not.

COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYOFF RANKINGS, NOV. 10
RANK TEAM RECORD NEXT GAME
1 Clemson 9-0 at Syracuse
2 Alabama 8-1 vs. Mississippi State
3 Ohio State 9-0 at Illinois
4 Notre Dame 8-1 vs. Wake Forest
5 Iowa 9-0 vs. Minnesota
6 Baylor 8-0 vs. Oklahoma
7 Stanford 8-1 vs. Oregon
8 Oklahoma State 9-0 at Iowa State
9 LSU 8-1 vs. Arkansas
10 Utah 8-1 at Arizona
11 Florida 8-1 at South Carolina
12 Oklahoma 8-1 at Baylor
13 Michigan State 8-1 vs. Maryland
14 Michigan 7-2 at Indiana
15 TCU 8-1 vs. Kansas

Reaction Score
The AAC has 4 ranked teams. That's the same number as the SEC and Big 12, and more than the Pac 12 and ACC. Of the "P5" conferences, only the Big Ten has more ranked teams.

Reaction Score
If this doesn't convince the B12 it needs to get off its backside and expand, I don't know what will. Nobody inside the Top 4 will lose again this year.

Can I get some lotto numbers, too?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The flaw in this entire process is the overweighting of the low level OOC games by the SEC and B12. If an entire conference plays no one OOC and all the teams go 4-0 or 3-1 of course their conference games will then be weighted more later on.

It would be nice of them to state the purpose of the committee. Is it to find who they think are the best teams or is it to determine the champion, because those are two different things.

If you lose a game you can't be the champion if there are other teams that are undefeated. We know you can be beat, we don't yet know that about the undefeateds.

Are you your conference champion? If not, how can you be the nation champion as clearly there is someone in the conference who already beat you over the course of the season.

SoS and strength of record should only come into play to break ties.

The standings right now should be:
Clemson
Oklahoma State
Ohio State
Iowa
Baylor
Houston
Alabama
Notre Dame
LSU
Michigan State

Dooley

Reaction Score
The flaw in this entire process is the overweighting of the low level OOC games by the SEC and B12. If an entire conference plays no one OOC and all the teams go 4-0 or 3-1 of course their conference games will then be weighted more later on.

It would be nice of them to state the purpose of the committee. Is it to find who they think are the best teams or is it to determine the champion, because those are two different things.

If you lose a game you can't be the champion if there are other teams that are undefeated. We know you can be beat, we don't yet know that about the undefeateds.

Are you your conference champion? If not, how can you be the nation champion as clearly there is someone in the conference who already beat you over the course of the season.

Clemson
Oklahoma State
Ohio State
Iowa
Baylor
Houston
Alabama
Notre Dame
LSU
Michigan State

I agree with most of what you wrote.

It's telling that undefeated Oklahoma State and Baylor are both behind TWO 1-loss teams.

Alabama OOC is Wisconsin, MTSU, La-Monroe, and Charleston Southern. Not exactly murderer's row. They have pedestrian wins over Arkansas and Tennessee and the loss to Ole Miss doesn't look as good now that they have lost 3 games. They close their year with Miss St, Auburn and a cupcake. Neither SEC team has lit anyone's hair on fire this year. And they will likely destroy whatever sacrificial lamb the SEC West sends to Atlanta.

Notre Dame's schedule might be even worse. Pedestrian wins over UVA, Pitt, Ga Tech (thanks to a 4th quarter rally), and Temple. Their loss is better than Bama's since Clemson is #1 in the rankings. They close the year with TWO cupcakes (Wake and BC) before playing at Stanford.

Both are ahead of undefeated Baylor and Oklahoma State.

In fact, because college football is such an exclusive "old money" club, I think the B12's best hope for a Playoff entrant isn't an undefeated Baylor or Oklahoma State. It would be a 1-loss Oklahoma. If they can get past Baylor this weekend, they'll likely leapfrog over both of their B12 counterparts. TCU's loss to Oklahoma State toasts their Playoff hopes for sure.

If the B12 had a Championship Game, that would have added another top game to the conference's champ and would have been enough to crack the Top 4.

Continuing to sit on their hands over expansion only ensures that 1-loss teams from other conferences (or Independents!) will have stronger Playoff resumes than any undefeated B12 team, save for Texas or OU.

Reaction Score
I agree with most of what you wrote.

It's telling that undefeated Oklahoma State and Baylor are both behind TWO 1-loss teams.

Alabama OOC is Wisconsin, MTSU, La-Monroe, and Charleston Southern. Not exactly murderer's row. They have pedestrian wins over Arkansas and Tennessee and the loss to Ole Miss doesn't look as good now that they have lost 3 games. They close their year with Miss St, Auburn and a cupcake. Neither SEC team has lit anyone's hair on fire this year. And they will likely destroy whatever sacrificial lamb the SEC West sends to Atlanta.

Notre Dame's schedule might be even worse. Pedestrian wins over UVA, Pitt, Ga Tech (thanks to a 4th quarter rally), and Temple. Their loss is better than Bama's since Clemson is #1 in the rankings. They close the year with TWO cupcakes (Wake and BC) before playing at Stanford.

Both are ahead of undefeated Baylor and Oklahoma State.

In fact, because college football is such an exclusive "old money" club, I think the B12's best hope for a Playoff entrant isn't an undefeated Baylor or Oklahoma State. It would be a 1-loss Oklahoma. If they can get past Baylor this weekend, they'll likely leapfrog over both of their B12 counterparts. TCU's loss to Oklahoma State toasts their Playoff hopes for sure.

If the B12 had a Championship Game, that would have added another top game to the conference's champ and would have been enough to crack the Top 4.

Continuing to sit on their hands over expansion only ensures that 1-loss teams from other conferences (or Independents!) will have stronger Playoff resumes than any undefeated B12 team, save for Texas or OU.

ND was killing Georgia Tech until two late garbage time TD's by the Yellow Jackets made the final score 30-22, ND.

You may be thinking of the Virginia game where ND lost its starting QB to injury and a redshirt freshman came in for his first game action ever and throw a fifty yard TD bomb with 12 seconds left.

ND also beat 7-1 Navy as well as 8-1 Temple and 6-3 Southern Cal. ND blew out Texas 38-3, the same Texas team that blew out one loss Oklahoma.

Some stats:

1. Brian Fremeau ‏@bcfremeau

Remaining SOS (reg season) of @CFBPlayoff top 6: 2. Baylor 13. Ohio St 16. ND 23. Alabama 59. Iowa 106. Clemson http://www.bcftoys.com/2015-dod/

Toughest SOS to date (and FBS record): 1. GaTech (2-6) 2. ND (8-1) 3. Texas (4-5) 4. USC (6-3) 5. Ole Miss (6-3) http://www.bcftoys.com/2015-dod/

Brian Fremeau ‏@bcfremeau

2. Four @CFBPlayoff top 25 teams have played three games to date vs other top 25 teams: ND (2-1) LSU (2-1) Michigan (1-2) Northwestern (1-2)

Brian Fremeau ‏ @bcfremeau
  3. Ohio St and Baylor only two top 10 @CFBPlayoff teams who haven't played a top 25 opponent yet.

4. ian Fremeau ‏@bcfremeau

1. Record vs @CFBPlayoff top 25: 1. Clemson (2-0) 2. Alabama (2-0) 3. Ohio State (0-0) 4. Notre Dame (2-1) 5. Iowa (2-0) 6. Baylor (0-0)

Right now, ND's SOS is better than both Baylor (by a lot) and Oklahoma State. As you can see, neither Ohio State nor Baylor have even played a Top 25 team.

ND is 2-1 vs. the Top 25, that is as many Top 25 wins as anyone in the country.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I don't care to turn this into a Notre Dame debate, but ND closes with 2 cupcakes and no Championship Game. Theoretically, they should be leapfrogged by any 1-loss team that wins its conference championship game. They probably won't and largely because all of the B12 candidates are out for the same reason: no championship game to add to its resume. The majority of ND's schedule consists of ACC teams...a conference with less ranked teams than the AAC. They've partnered up with the wrong conference and cupcake wins over dregs like Wake and BC shouldn't help their profile. They will need to lay one on Stanford or they should get leapfrogged.

Reaction Score
I don't care to turn this into a Notre Dame debate, but ND closes with 2 cupcakes and no Championship Game. Theoretically, they should be leapfrogged by any 1-loss team that wins its conference championship game. They probably won't and largely because all of the B12 candidates are out for the same reason: no championship game to add to its resume. The majority of ND's schedule consists of ACC teams...a conference with less ranked teams than the AAC. They've partnered up with the wrong conference and cupcake wins over dregs like Wake and BC shouldn't help their profile. They will need to lay one on Stanford or they should get leapfrogged.

#7 Stanford is their last game, in Palo Alto. Stanford is a "cupcake"? I don't think you meant that, but you first sentence implied that.

I think that the winner of the Stanford/ND game is in the playoffs along with Clemson, Alabama and Ohio State.

If a Big 12 team moves up or ND loses, it would still be a fantastic season at 10-2 and a New Year's Day bowl with the Irish losing eight starters early to season ending injuries.

Brian Kelly has done a great coaching job with all the injury and transfer hits to his roster.

I am just enjoying the ride. With ND going 12-1 in 2012, in the championship game and ranked #3 and #4 in the final polls that year and now 8-1 and ranked #4, Kelly has done a great job getting ND back to the national level like the Seventies, late Eighties and early Nineties.

Rick Reilly was very wrong. ND is not "irrelevant".

Dooley

Reaction Score
#7 Stanford is their last game, in Palo Alto. Stanford is a "cupcake"? I don't think you meant that, but you first sentence implied that.

I think that the winner of the Stanford/ND game is in the playoffs along with Clemson, Alabama and Ohio State.

If a Big 12 team moves up or ND loses, it would still be a fantastic season at 10-2 and a New Year's Day bowl with the Irish losing eight starters early to season ending injuries.

Brian Kelly has done a great coaching job with all the injury and transfer hits to his roster.

I am just enjoying the ride. With ND going 12-1 in 2012, in the championship game and ranked #3 and #4 in the final polls that year and now 8-1 and ranked #4, Kelly has done a great job getting ND back to the national level like the Seventies, late Eighties and early Nineties.

Rick Reilly was very wrong. ND is not "irrelevant".

No. I meant Wake and BC are absolute cupcakes and to make up for having them on their late season schedule and without a championship game, they will have to take care of Stanford handily. It will be the last game ND will have to make a statement.

Reaction Score

Clemson
Oklahoma State
Ohio State
Iowa
Baylor
Houston
Alabama
Notre Dame
LSU
Michigan State

I just don't understand that. Not a single person would argue if Yale or Fairfield went undefeated in hoops that they were the best team in the country or should be seeded no. 1 in a schedule. If Toledo had gone undefeated, would you really think they deserved to be in a 4 team football playoff?

I know there is no single "right" answer on how you combine SOS with win-loss record, but you have to try.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I just don't understand that. Not a single person would argue if Yale or Fairfield went undefeated in hoops that they were the best team in the country or should be seeded no. 1 in a schedule. If Toledo had gone undefeated, would you really think they deserved to be in a 4 team football playoff?

I know there is no single "right" answer on how you combine SOS with win-loss record, but you have to try.
My alma mater :D

Its different in basketball and football though. Remember St Joe's (27-0 regular season in 04') a few years back and even Wichita State in 2014 (35-0 until UK loss). You can't really compare the two. An undefeated football squad who goes undefeated playing scrubs would get demolished (most of the time) by any Top 10 team, which is why they get leap frogged.

Reaction Score
http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/view-rankings#week-11

1. Clemson
2. Alabama
3. Ohio State
4. Notre Dame
5. Iowa
6. Oklahoma State
7. Oklahoma
8. Florida
9. Michigan State
10. Baylor