Boston University Game Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Boston University Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
Lost my best friend (my dad) this year. Miss spending time with him watching games so badly sometimes it hurts. As horrible as this team is, I would give anything to watch them with him.

Sorry for your loss bro. I lost my mom young so I cherish every moment I have with my pops. Some of our best bonding moments are watching uconn basketball. I try to ignore the ignorant and smartasssss people on this board, but I can't help bUT feel sorry for them and the self hatred they possess.

Reaction Score
Good:
- defensive intensity from the start
- less turnovers except early second half when they had 3+ back to back
- post scoring happened
- less missed layups
- getting to the free throw line
Bad:
- Gary Apple
- shooting of every player but Vital and Facey
- still incapable of running effective half court offense
- no fast break points
- free throws need to go in
- still failing to handle screens reasonably on defense, but less often than earlier games. They can be taught!

Reaction Score
think KO has earned some "carte blanche" with his rotations due to having like, 8 players. @champs99and04 can't throw a fit

ha...I'm in no mood to give anybody a pass after that game, but you're right that the short bench earns him some leeway.

It's also hard to complain about Facey at the four on a day where he had one of his better games, but we know what Facey is at this point...a guy who is going to play well once every few games. With Enoch, Brimah, and Facey logging 64 minutes between them (plus the 7 Durham played), we saw less of Jackson at the four than I would have liked, especially given the two-big lineup is not equipped to beat the zone.

We haven't seen any dabbling with the type of lineups that might infuse some life into the season. We haven't seen much of Durham and Brimah together, we haven't seen much with Jackson at the four, haven't seen any of Facey at the five, etc. And I get that it's tough to pull that off when you have three guards, but seven/eight man rotations aren't exactly rare in the current college game. A minute chart that looks something like this isn't so far-fetched:

1 - Adams 35 min, Vital 5 min
2 - Vital 25 min, Purvis 15 min
3 - Purvis 20 min, Jackson 20 min
4 - Durham 25 min, Jackson 15 min
5 - Brimah 25 min, Facey 15 min

This way you cap everybody at 35 minutes while staggering their rest in such a way that it actually gives the players a chance to succeed when they re out there. The four spot should be shared between Jackson and Durham, and if that means playing Vital 30-35 minutes, so be it. Note that it is not clear whether Durham is any good at this particular time, but there is also nothing to indicate that we're worse off with him playing over Facey and one obviously has more upside than the other.

On a minor tangential note, remember when I said Purvis and Adams had zero margin for error now? Well they combined to shoot 5 of 25 tonight. For all the problems this team has, a lot of them would go away if these two could hit perimeter shots.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
ha...I'm in no mood to give anybody a pass after that game, but you're right that the short bench earns him some leeway.

It's also hard to complain about Facey at the four on a day where he had one of his better games, but we know what Facey is at this point...a guy who is going to play well once every few games. With Enoch, Brimah, and Facey logging 64 minutes between them (plus the 7 Durham played), we saw less of Jackson at the four than I would have liked, especially given the two-big lineup is not equipped to beat the zone.

We haven't seen any dabbling with the type of lineups that might infuse some life into the season. We haven't seen much of Durham and Brimah together, we haven't seen much with Jackson at the four, haven't seen any of Facey at the five, etc. And I get that it's tough to pull that off when you have three guards, but seven/eight man rotations aren't exactly rare in the current college game. A minute chart that looks something like this isn't so far-fetched:

This way you cap everybody at 35 minutes while staggering their rest in such a way that it actually gives the players a chance to succeed when they re out there. The four spot should be shared between Jackson and Durham, and if that means playing Vital 30-35 minutes, so be it. Note that it is not clear whether Durham is any good at this particular time, but there is also nothing to indicate that we're worse off with him playing over Facey and one obviously has more upside than the other.

On a minor tangential note, remember when I said Purvis and Adams had zero margin for error now? Well they combined to shoot 5 of 25 tonight. For all the problems this team has, a lot of them would go away if these two could hit perimeter shots.
I doubt the coaches want to play Durham for 25 minutes per game this season so flip the per game minutes between Facey and Durham and you have the rotation. We actually have 7.5 players not 8. Just sayin

Reaction Score
Durham is still feeling his way back and has a long way to go physically and getting over the hump mentally with his 2 knee surgeries . Saying we have 8 players is actually 7 1/2 at this point . Down the road I have high expectations .

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Lost my best friend (my dad) this year. Miss spending time with him watching games so badly sometimes it hurts. As horrible as this team is, I would give anything to watch them with him.

Sorry for your loss. Hope there are some brighter moments from the Huskies that can remind you of the good times as well.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score

Agree about Vital. He has shown a toughness and focus that is rare for an incoming freshman. Post game interview indicated the young man has his act together and knows who he is, where he is at and going to. In other words he gets the mission and just went out and executed. Showing amazing leadership and that can be catchy. Makes an occasional mistake but snaps back to heady and effective play. With the redshirt losses and so many young players we are kind of a David going against Goliath for the rest of the year. Would also like to see some more of Durham but of course we don't know all the medical details. Announcers called it a gritty win and considering all the changes going on I think it is.

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, if we played Brimah and Durham together more, we would get tossed around even more like rag dolls.

Reaction Score
I doubt the coaches want to play Durham for 25 minutes per game this season so flip the per game minutes between Facey and Durham and you have the rotation. We actually have 7.5 players not 8. Just sayin

He played 25 minutes against Chaminade. I understand that the inclination is to ease him back, but I'm fairly certain playing him more puts him at no higher risk for re-injury than he would be otherwise.

At this point I don't see what we have to lose by throwing him to the fire. He's definitely a complete rail, but from what limited I've seen he has a higher IQ than our other bigs. I'd like to see what he can do and I imagine I'm not alone.

Reaction Score
He played 25 minutes against Chaminade. I understand that the inclination is to ease him back, but I'm fairly certain playing him more puts him at no higher risk for re-injury than he would be otherwise.

At this point I don't see what we have to lose by throwing him to the fire. He's definitely a complete rail, but from what limited I've seen he has a higher IQ than our other bigs. I'd like to see what he can do and I imagine I'm not alone.
Champs, " a complete rail", isn't that pretty much our roster down low minus Enoch? Brimah, Facey, Durham, Diarra and what about next year's guys, are they more of the same? If a school like BU and Northeastern can get guys how come we can't or don't? Fanning was driving to the hole like a freight train yesterday, no weak garbage there.

Reaction Score
Champs, " a complete rail", isn't that pretty much our roster down low minus Enoch? Brimah, Facey, Durham, Diarra and what about next year's guys, are they more of the same? If a school like BU and Northeastern can get guys how come we can't or don't? Fanning was driving to the hole like a freight train yesterday, no weak garbage there.

Yeah, but Durham makes Facey and Brimah look like the hulk.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

I'm assuming you are referring to basketball IQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom