Big East basketball on FoxSports | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Big East basketball on FoxSports

Status
Not open for further replies.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
What channel is SMU vs. UConn on today? Oh yeah, the Internet.

All sides of the Depaul, Seton Hall, Providence round robin suckfest will be on national TV. And UConn can't get a football game on TV anywhere.

Reaction Score
What channel is SMU vs. UConn on today? Oh yeah, the Internet.

All sides of the Depaul, Seton Hall, Providence round robin suckfest will be on national TV. And UConn can't get a football game on TV anywhere.

Football is under the old BE contract.

New contract begins next year.

92% of BE football games will be on ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Still, though. The UConn men on SNY (i.e. lower tier games like Lehigh) were pulling 8 ratings in the Hartford/NH market. That's 16% of the 700k TVs in the state. So, in the market alone, you had 135,000 TVs tuned in. A far cry from 14,000 nationally.

The Hartford DMA has almost a million TV homes exactly.

So an 8 rating is 80k homes. Where did 700k and 16 percent come from?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Football is under the old BE contract.

New contract begins next year.

92% of BE football games will be on ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU.

I look forward to Big East football?

ESPN News is going to become the AAC football network. That's going to count as national TV because ESPN has so much inventory that is better these games are never going to see the light of ESPN2.

Reaction Score
Marquette scored 35 points today on national TV. National TV has seen enough of the new Big East already.

Now the Big East won't have any ranked teams. They better get used to that.

Reaction Score
I look forward to Big East football?

ESPN News is going to become the AAC football network. That's going to count as national TV because ESPN has so much inventory that is better these games are never going to see the light of ESPN2.

No, wrong again.

The games can only be shown on ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU.

Reaction Score
The Hartford DMA has almost a million TV homes exactly.

So an 8 rating is 80k homes. Where did 700k and 16 percent come from?

I was wrong. I thought the entire state had 1.1, with 1/3rd of the population in Fairfield.
I also somehow thought the rating was the share. Only half of the TVs were tuned in that night.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
No, wrong again.

The games can only be shown on ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU.

It's almost a mathematical impossibility so I guess we'll see next year.

Reaction Score
It's almost a mathematical impossibility so I guess we'll see next year.

It's what the contract stipulates.

AND, Aresco said the same thing about the bball contract. He said 60% of the games had to be on those 3 channels, and that's what we got. BBall started this year, football starts next year.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's what the contract stipulates.

AND, Aresco said the same thing about the bball contract. He said 60% of the games had to be on those 3 channels, and that's what we got. BBall started this year, football starts next year.

Well then I hope you don't mind Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday because there were way better games
today ESPN owned that weren't televised.

There is no room on Saturday for AAC games on ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU.

Reaction Score
Marquette scored 35 points today on national TV. National TV has seen enough of the new Big East already.

Now the Big East won't have any ranked teams. They better get used to that.
Damnnnn, at home too? Ohio State must play defense like 85 Chicago Bears.

Reaction Score
A couple of things, Fox Sports 1 and 2 are about 12 weeks old , ESPN has been around for 30 some odd years. It's going to take time, but it didn't take fox long to already overtake the pathetic competition startups. They are beating everyone in ratings regularly with the exception of ESPN and NFL network.

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2013...nly-struggling-when-you-set-the-bar-high.html

Fox sports just posted its best ratings since it launched so it's growing. It is making a push for nba, has mlb games lined up, and may be bidding for the NFL Thursday night 8game package.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...most-watched-week-since-august-launch/215736/

Fox Sports was the only play for the c7, they were ruined by "big football" and the laughable attempts by UCONN, BC, and other northeast schools to try and play football with the big boys. Never going to happen! Fox sports is paying each big east school more than UCONN for its basketball and embarassing football team. That should tell you what the world thinks of the AAC. Wait til next year when Louisville leaves then you'll realize what a cess pool you're in.

The idea of the big East is a basketball centric league. The pitch to recruits is come play in urban markets where basketball is king. So far so good based on the recruiting hauls. Technically UCONN football with its 0-9 record is king on your campus. That's where the most money and priority is spent. Think about that.

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The divide is coming and whether UConn ends up on the right side or the wrong side, the new Big East is certainly doomed to the wrong side.

No one likes it, but that's your reality.

Anything without football will ultimately be marginalized.

Reaction Score
The divide is coming and whether UConn ends up on the right side or the wrong side, the new Big East is certainly doomed to the wrong side.

Certainly a possibility. There's also the possibility that the big d*** swinging frauds running college football run into a lot of problems if they attempt to split and or pay athletes. I have a feeling congress might have a thing or two to say about that (think title ix, lawsuits, etc etc etc) and how about congressional districts that would lose out if that split we're to happen. Also there is the newly signed contract for the next 14 years and 10.8 billion dollar march madness tournament. I doubt they want to go wrecking that, or that they even could. Plus all talk from the football clowns has been if there is any sort of split it would try not to impact basketball. Lastly the big east will give every effort to be on the level playing field with any FBS school when it comes to basketball and how the athletes could be compensated. They've said so. And fox has a half a billion plus invested in it. Lots of lawyers to make things very costly and difficult for the handful of "power brokers" ruining college athletics.

Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

I don't see any way that UCF, Tulane and ECU are on the right side and Georgetown, Butler and Villanova are on the wrong side. The Big East is a major basketball conference, and always will be. Foxsports all but guarantees that status. The P5 can lock out the mid majors in football with relatively minor consequences to that sport, but they would never risk a split in hoops that would destroy the golden NCAA Tournament goose. Marquette and Creighton draw more fans per game than all but about 15 schools in the country.

Fox has pulled the Big 10, Pac 12 and Big 12 away from ESPN's control, and the Big 10 and Pac 12 are probably the two most stable and successful of all the conferences. By setting up the Big East in prime time, they are telling anyone that is listening that the Big East is protected.

We are backing the wrong horse.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The Big East deal is play money for Fox.

It's a handful of bucks to help fill some hours on a new network - the Big East is a convenience for them. Do you think they even know where Creighton is? Does anyone even care? (Spoilers...no.)

Their heart and their wallets are elsewhere.

They own a controlling interest in the Big Ten Network, they have multiple-billions sunk in the Pac 12 and Big 12 deals...Fox is driving a split as hard as anyone.

Reaction Score
Fox sports is paying each big east school more than UCONN for its basketball and embarassing football team. That should tell you what the world thinks of the AAC.

The only reason ESPN is paying the AAC so little is because contractually speaking, all they needed to do was match NBC's low ball offer. The fact that the previous BE contract was set up that way is beyond frustrating, but there is nothing anybody can do about that now. If you include the exit fees and tournament credits money, the AAC is making more than the BE. Plus, even though I pray that UConn will be long gone from the AAC by then, when the time comes for the AAC to sign its next TV deal it is all but certain that they will surpass what Fox is paying the BE.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The Big East deal is play money for Fox.

It's a handful of bucks to help fill some hours on a new network - the Big East is a convenience for them. Do you think they even know where Creighton is? Does anyone even care? (Spoilers...no.)

Their heart and their wallets are elsewhere.

They own a controlling interest in the Big Ten Network, they have multiple-billions sunk in the Pac 12 and Big 12 deals...Fox is driving a split as hard as anyone.

I think they do care, because despite Z's best arguments to the contrary, a lot of people do care about college basketball, but those people do not live in SEC or Big 12 country. The Big East has the markets and the marquee programs, and they have a good shot at sitting at the big boys table.

But even if your argument was true, staying with the AAC is still the losing hand, because if there is a split, isn't the AAC in worse shape than the Big East? The split will be between the P5 and everyone else, not between those schools that play D1 football and those that don't. If there isn't a split, UConn is better off with the better basketball league. Either way, UConn is better off with the better basketball league.

Reaction Score
The Big East has the markets and the marquee programs.

Ah no. This is not 1985.

National basketball ratings are driven by marquee players, ranked teams, and ESPN talking heads. The Big East has no ranked teams, no marquee players, and ESPN is probably going to put a gag order on its talking heads preventing them from even discussing the Big East.

The C7 are on a slippery slope to no where. UCONN, Syracuse and Louisville aren't around to drag them along anymore.

Nice job by Seton Hall today losing to Mercer.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ah no. This is not 1985.

National basketball ratings are driven by marquee players, ranked teams, and ESPN talking heads. The Big East has no ranked teams, no marquee players, and ESPN is probably going to put a gag order on its talking heads preventing them from even discussing the Big East.

The Big East is on a slippery slope to no where. UCONN, Syracuse and Louisville aren't around to drag them along anymore.

Nice job by Seton Hall today losing to Mercer.
The New Big East is in a better position then it was in the with the Old Big East. That is all that can really be judged right now. How it will compare nationally, will need to be determined. The break gives more money to the schools, there is no worry about teams trying to leave, and fans, recruits and the families of recruits can watch just about every game their team plays. For the most part, it will not matter if you can stream a game or which provider you have.

No, it is not 1985. But it is also not 2012 so the Big East teams will not be dragged around by Syracuse and Louisville anyways. And lets be honest, if there was no split, UCONN would STILL be trying to get an invite out of the Big East.

It is a new conference and a new network, with the deep pockets to wait out the rough start. The Big East may not be on as high a perch as it once was, but they believe they settled into a nice spot, and got off the 'slippery slope'.

Personally, I like that I can watch just about every PC game on TV all year long. It never happened when we were tied to ESPN, and I do not have COX, so I could never see those games either. I will take what has been given to us and wish the AAC well.

Reaction Score
Two things, the big east schools seem happy with the new arrangement, so good for them. The second thing is are those schools making more money than UConn with the exit fees factored in? If they're not, for the time being were better off where we are. Uconn is going to be featured on espn an awful lot this year. The aac contract and the exit fees should lapse around the same time. Hopefully we are out by then or worst case, the league commands a better payday next go round.

Reaction Score
A couple of things, Fox Sports 1 and 2 are about 12 weeks old , ESPN has been around for 30 some odd years. It's going to take time, but it didn't take fox long to already overtake the pathetic competition startups. They are beating everyone in ratings regularly with the exception of ESPN and NFL network.

http://www.awfulannouncing.com/2013...nly-struggling-when-you-set-the-bar-high.html

Fox sports just posted its best ratings since it launched so it's growing. It is making a push for nba, has mlb games lined up, and may be bidding for the NFL Thursday night 8game package.

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/20...most-watched-week-since-august-launch/215736/

Fox Sports was the only play for the c7, they were ruined by "big football" and the laughable attempts by UCONN, BC, and other northeast schools to try and play football with the big boys. Never going to happen! Fox sports is paying each big east school more than UCONN for its basketball and embarassing football team. That should tell you what the world thinks of the AAC. Wait til next year when Louisville leaves then you'll realize what a cess pool you're in.

The idea of the big East is a basketball centric league. The pitch to recruits is come play in urban markets where basketball is king. So far so good based on the recruiting hauls. Technically UCONN football with its 0-9 record is king on your campus. That's where the most money and priority is spent. Think about that.

I'll say this again. College Hockey on NBCSN had as many viewers as PC-BC in the much hyped inaugural game on FS1.

By the time Fox figures it out in several year, no one will even know who is in the BE.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Certainly a possibility. There's also the possibility that the big d* swinging frauds running college football run into a lot of problems if they attempt to split and or pay athletes. I have a feeling congress might have a thing or two to say about that (think title ix, lawsuits, etc etc etc) and how about congressional districts that would lose out if that split we're to happen. Also there is the newly signed contract for the next 14 years and 10.8 billion dollar march madness tournament. I doubt they want to go wrecking that, or that they even could. Plus all talk from the football clowns has been if there is any sort of split it would try not to impact basketball. Lastly the big east will give every effort to be on the level playing field with any FBS school when it comes to basketball and how the athletes could be compensated. They've said so. And fox has a half a billion plus invested in it. Lots of lawyers to make things very costly and difficult for the handful of "power brokers" ruining college athletics.

Fox has much more invested in college sports than the BE. They'll go to where the money is. They aren't going to screw with the B10, Pac10 and B12 to appease the BE.

Reaction Score
I think they do care, because despite Z's best arguments to the contrary, a lot of people do care about college basketball, but those people do not live in SEC or Big 12 country. The Big East has the markets and the marquee programs, and they have a good shot at sitting at the big boys table.

But even if your argument was true, staying with the AAC is still the losing hand, because if there is a split, isn't the AAC in worse shape than the Big East? The split will be between the P5 and everyone else, not between those schools that play D1 football and those that don't. If there isn't a split, UConn is better off with the better basketball league. Either way, UConn is better off with the better basketball league.

The split will happen with schools willing to put a huge budget behind football.

Reaction Score
The New Big East is in a better position then it was in the with the Old Big East. That is all that can really be judged right now. How it will compare nationally, will need to be determined. The break gives more money to the schools, there is no worry about teams trying to leave, and fans, recruits and the families of recruits can watch just about every game their team plays. For the most part, it will not matter if you can stream a game or which provider you have.

No, it is not 1985. But it is also not 2012 so the Big East teams will not be dragged around by Syracuse and Louisville anyways. And lets be honest, if there was no split, UCONN would STILL be trying to get an invite out of the Big East.

It is a new conference and a new network, with the deep pockets to wait out the rough start. The Big East may not be on as high a perch as it once was, but they believe they settled into a nice spot, and got off the 'slippery slope'.

Personally, I like that I can watch just about every PC game on TV all year long. It never happened when we were tied to ESPN, and I do not have COX, so I could never see those games either. I will take what has been given to us and wish the AAC well.

I agree with everything you said, I'm just disagreeing with the person who is claiming that UCONN should have jumped ship with the C7 and gone independent in football or abandoned football and hopes for a conference upgrade all together. That person is wrong. I also think that going forward the AAC will be on par or better than the Big East with UCONN, Cincy, Memphis, Temple, and the improving Texas and Florida schools. Even East Carolina is improving their basketball stock. Being on ESPN is a huge advantage over Fox. It remains to be seen if the C7 can continue to recruit top talent long term, they can no longer claim to be in the best basketball conference and Fox may not generate the eyeballs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr