Big East basketball on FoxSports | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Big East basketball on FoxSports

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well you've got dozens of posts which make it seem like you thought they had an option.

There is less exposure for some of the Big East schools and a lot more for other.

Yes it was a terrible idea for UConn that only a handful of lunatics subscribe to. But Fox and NBC were terrible ideas that more people subscribed to in the past.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The Big East tournament no longer on ESPN, you don't have UConn, Louisville, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame. MSG will find a way out of that contract after the ratings drop through the floor.

Why would MSG care what the television ratings are?

Not that I don't think the Big East will end up elsewhere in the long run, that's not why.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Big East tournament no longer on ESPN, you don't have UConn, Louisville, Syracuse, Pittsburgh, Notre Dame. MSG will find a way out of that contract after the ratings drop through the floor.

The thing about MSG is that they get paid regardless. They rent out the facility. It's the BE's responsibility to fill that place up, not MSGs.

I don't know about concessions. Obviously there is no parking.

But at the end of the day, the only thing that MSG really cares about is that some conference out there is going to shell out MSG's hefty fees to rent the place. I believe I read somewhere that the OLD BE only broke even on the tourney.

Villanova and St. John's better get their act together quick, because the entire fate of that tourney relies on those two schools.

Reaction Score
The Big East Tournament?

It is going to be like a Scout-Jamboree for Catholic parishes. NONE of the remaining schools were forces in that. I also went ... 19 years in a row purchasing 15-24 strips of tickets per year at my height ... and I think it was quaint and fun to see the Georgetown fans and Nova and then Marquette. St. John's HAS faded even though they are local; Seton Hall/Providence are basically Siena with another Star in rankings. The real UConn & Pitt & Syracuse core ... then supplemented by Louisville who comes strong ... is gone. You won't find Creighton coming with big numbers; Marquette never has.

Won't have the bright lights on a Saturday night feel. I am quite certain. Still good hoop though.

Reaction Score
The Big East Tournament?

It is going to be like a Scout-Jamboree for Catholic parishes. NONE of the remaining schools were forces in that. I also went ... 19 years in a row purchasing 15-24 strips of tickets per year at my height ... and I think it was quaint and fun to see the Georgetown fans and Nova and then Marquette. St. John's HAS faded even though they are local; Seton Hall/Providence are basically Siena with another Star in rankings. The real UConn & Pitt & Syracuse core ... then supplemented by Louisville who comes strong ... is gone. You won't find Creighton coming with big numbers; Marquette never has.

Won't have the bright lights on a Saturday night feel. I am quite certain. Still good hoop though.

I think you nailed it with UConn, Pitt and Syracuse. St. John's has faded. I don't understand Villanova, they are very popular in E. Pa. I'll say this for Georgetown fans, they were always a presence. They are just too few in number, but they were always there in the same numbers. They generally look at the other fans and just kind of sneer.

I always found the Syracuse fans at MSG to be great, even-keeled fans. Pitt fans were the absolute worst.

Reaction Score
Looks like the ACC will be holding their 2016 tournament in DC at the Verizon Center..home of the Wizards and Georgetown...

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
To be clear, I can't figure out why anyone is looking at this from the BE's point-of-view. My only concern is UConn here. This is also Nelson's original thread and we know the general idea is that Uconn should abandon the AAC and try to get into the BE.

It's the whole reason we're looking at ratings and exposure for the BE. The ratings are so poor that the bball program (about the only thing UConn still has going for it) will be degraded by such a move.

You are using the fact that the Big East's fluffer games are getting poor ratings is an indication of...what? What are the national ratings of UConn's fluffer games? Oh that's right, they aren't on national TV, so we will never know.

The only valid comparison is to compare some of the better FS1 college football games against ESPN2 or ESPNU.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
FS1 football ratings are way behind ESPN2 and way ahead of
ESPNU.

Reaction Score
You are using the fact that the Big East's fluffer games are getting poor ratings is an indication of...what? What are the national ratings of UConn's fluffer games? Oh that's right, they aren't on national TV, so we will never know.

The only valid comparison is to compare some of the better FS1 college football games against ESPN2 or ESPNU.

The first BE game on Fox was a fluffer game? That they hyped to no end? Really? Wow. That is an insult to the network.

And yeah, judging by SNY's ratings in Conn. and the tri-state area last year, more people watch UConn's fluff games on a local channel than watch BE games on a national channel.

Reaction Score
I will add this. College hockey on CBSSN gets as many viewers as the inaugural BE game (BE v. ACC!) on FS1.

College hockey on CBSSN!

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
If you have a satellite package that gets FS2, you also get SNY. So you would be getting the UConn fluffer games.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If you have a satellite package that gets FS2, you also get SNY. So you would be getting the UConn fluffer games.

Then anyone in NY or CT that would watch UConn on SNY could also watch the Huskies on FS2, along with the rest of the country who doesn't get SNY.

Z's argument comes down to UConn is better off playing in a worse conference with less exposure for less money, because.....ESPN IS AWESOMEST!!!!

Reaction Score
Then anyone in NY or CT that would watch UConn on SNY could also watch the Huskies on FS2, along with the rest of the country who doesn't get SNY.

Z's argument comes down to UConn is better off playing in a worse conference with less exposure for less money, because.....ESPN IS AWESOMEST!!!!

Less exposure???? WHAT? How are they getting less exposure?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I will add this. College hockey on CBSSN gets as many viewers as the inaugural BE game (BE v. ACC!) on FS1.

College hockey on CBSSN!

Last I knew CBSSN wasn't rated. They don't pay for the privilege.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Nobody gets FS2. That is a big problem for Fox and Big East.

Reaction Score
Nobody gets FS2. That is a big problem for Fox and Big East.

Last I knew CBSSN wasn't rated. They don't pay for the privilege.

I assumed it was CBS, might have been NBC. ZLS linked someone's tweet in this thread that college hockey did the same as BC-PC. BC-PC was on FS1.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I assumed it was CBS, might have been NBC. ZLS linked someone's tweet in this thread that college hockey did the same as BC-PC. BC-PC was on FS1.

I checked - CBSSN is not rated by Neilsen. Must be NBC? What the hell game got 150k plus viewers?

And I know what BC-PC was on, Nelson mentioned FS2. Which is death as no one gets it - especially those in Big East cities.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
I think it might not be advantageous for UConn's games to be on a station rated below the Game Show Network and I'm the strange one, ok.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think it might not be advantageous for UConn's games to be on a station rated below the Game Show Network and I'm the strange one, ok.

GSN gets some crazy ratings for some bad shows. 250k watching the horrible New Newlywed Game?

Their demos must be hilarious. MLB can laugh about it.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Anyone see the recent Sportscenter commercial with our very own Husky mascot (in football uniform) sitting in the waiting room? It's been awhile since UConn has been represented.

Also, noticed that on the college football show that preceded the ESPNU game on Sunday (the one hosted by Rece Davis w/ Mark May and Lou Holtz that our UConn Husky helmet is displayed front and center (with about 20 other helmets, but still).

Do you think they are trying to make-good on all the that's been dropped on us? Or are we just readily available? Probably the latter.

Reaction Score
$4 million a year for Minnesota hockey?

A couple of things:

(1) Steve Lepore's Tweet before the one you quoted further noted that the Minnesota-Notre Dame hockey game outdrew 2 out of the 3 NHL games on NBCSN that same week, so this was the college hockey equivalent of the Champions Classic for college basketball in terms of brand name power. That rating was basically as high of a college hockey rating that you'll see outside of the Frozen Four.

(2) Hockey is to Minnesota as women's basketball is to UConn. There is legitimately massive interest in Gopher hockey in their region that few (if any) other schools can replicate. $4 million per year in TV rights for Minnesota hockey is actually very close (if not on the nose) number of what the school gets from its extra hockey bonus payment from the Big Ten Network and the regional deal it has with Fox Sports Net. It's a legit revenue sport and profit center for them where they make more from hockey than what a large number of power conference men's basketball programs make.

Reaction Score
A couple of things:

(1) Steve Lepore's Tweet before the one you quoted further noted that the Minnesota-Notre Dame hockey game outdrew 2 out of the 3 NHL games on NBCSN that same week, so this was the college hockey equivalent of the Champions Classic for college basketball in terms of brand name power. That rating was basically as high of a college hockey rating that you'll see outside of the Frozen Four.

(2) Hockey is to Minnesota as women's basketball is to UConn. There is legitimately massive interest in Gopher hockey in their region that few (if any) other schools can replicate. $4 million per year in TV rights for Minnesota hockey is actually very close (if not on the nose) number of what the school gets from its extra hockey bonus payment from the Big Ten Network and the regional deal it has with Fox Sports Net. It's a legit revenue sport and profit center for them where they make more from hockey than what a large number of power conference men's basketball programs make.

Aha, so... we've made similar points in the past about UConn's home market. BBall is a big deal in the region, and it generates a lot of money. So, you see the value.

I'm a big college hockey fan. You're right about the Minnesota Gophers. Notre Dame... not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom