Big East basketball on FoxSports | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Big East basketball on FoxSports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I will go out on a limb and predict that without an affiliation with FBS schools, that interest in the Big East will recede down to mid major level.

Also, nobody knows where Creighton is, and nobody cares. And nobody outside of St. Louis and Boston gave a crap about the WS so the exposure wasn't all that.
I'll go out further and say that it already has.

Reaction Score
Funny. I used that passage because I had in fact just read it in my "office." At the end of the day, I was trying to express how stupid the grammar police was on a sports message board, when the point is clearly understood (OTOH, one of my pet peeves is not know the correct use of their, there, and they're. Though I rarely point it out).

I agree that a quick proofread is warranted, but the Boneyard is not the Supreme Court and our opinions are not conferred via legal brief. There are surely more important issues to waste calories on. upon which to waste calories (Almost ended my sentence with a preposition!! tsk, tsk :rolleyes:).
I agree. Generally, in an informal place like a message board, a quick proofread is enough provided what you are saying is clear.

(Also, there's no good reason why you can't end a sentence on a preposition; it was John Dryden's excuse to criticize Shakespeare and had no formal bearing in English...and really, still doesn't, except in the hearts of pedants.)

Reaction Score
I'll go out further and say that it already has.

They will have their moment in Feb/Mar but without showdowns against the likes of Cuse, UConn etc. they are lesser. How it affects us undetermined but I think it would be in our best interest to keep playing Big East schools simply because of tradition and the hit the AAC might give us in less RPI.

I am not really a basketball guy, so I could be totally wrong.

Reaction Score
I agree. Generally, in an informal place like a message board, a quick proofread is enough provided what you are saying is clear.

(Also, there's no good reason why you can't end a sentence on a preposition; it was John Dryden's excuse to criticize Shakespeare and had no formal bearing in English...and really, still doesn't, except in the hearts of pedants.)

In incredible news, the Oxford Style Guide today dropped use of the Oxford comma.

Finally, they agree with me. I put in a lot of hard work getting them to do that. I had some help along the way. I owe everything to my parents, George Clinton and Angela Lansbury.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Wow, are you really this dense?

They had a scrub team in their first game.

Everyone knows what conference BC is in. In fact, I have a thread about BC's/ACC's ineptitude!

holy moly, wake up!

Got it somehow it reflects on Fox that Providence's OOC opponent from a P5 conference isn't good this season.

There are only hundreds of games that are worse that are on between now and Christmas - but this one matchup reflects on the entire station.

Reaction Score
Got it somehow it reflects on Fox that Providence's OOC opponent from a P5 conference isn't good this season.

There are only hundreds of games that are worse that are on between now and Christmas - but this one matchup reflects on the entire station.

They hype up a game with scrubs on NFL and the World Series.

That screams second-rate.

Reaction Score
At least this is one debate that can be answered factually with ratings. What are the ratings? The OP said the Big East will kick ass on FSN, do the facts support his conclusion? Let the evidence decide. I'm betting on the side that says nobody outside of fans of those schools will be watching.

Who are the star players in that league? Where are the ranked teams? Why should the casual fan care?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I saw many Big East commercials during the World Series. And Fox NFL games. That's exposure.
Is that exposure or advertising. You could advertise about a product being on a channel, but when most people don't know where the channel is at on their dial, some don't know if they have the channel, and some that want to see the big east don't have the channel, your going to have problems.

I happen to like fs1&2, for some of their content. I'm not interested enough in big east basketball to tune into it, so I can't comment on how it looks on the networks. I do think long term fs1&2, will be a success and I think their hoping this incarnation of the big east does for them what the original did for ESPN.

Reaction Score
At least this is one debate that can be answered factually with ratings. What are the ratings? The OP said the Big East will kick ass on FSN, do the facts support his conclusion? Let the evidence decide. I'm betting on the side that says nobody outside of fans of those schools will be watching.

Who are the star players in that league? Where are the ranked teams? Why should the casual fan care?

zls44 who has access to the numbers said that head-to-head the ESPN2 game versus the much hyped Fs1 game showed that ESPN2 was mediocre at best while FS1 were beyond abysmal. They were bottom of the barrel.

The ratings should be out in a couple days.

Reaction Score
zls44 who has access to the numbers said that head-to-head the ESPN2 game versus the much hyped Fs1 game showed that ESPN2 was mediocre at best while FS1 were beyond abysmal. They were bottom of the barrel.

The ratings should be out in a couple days.

I look forward to finding out, I'm sure Nelson will find a way to plant his victory flag into a pile of crummy results. Patrick Ewing and Chris Mullin can't rebuild the new Big East. As I sit here I can't think of one star player in that league.

Here's the Big East pre-season first team. Just loaded with stars. UCONN by itself has more star power than this.

2013-14 BIG EAST Preseason All-BIG EAST First TeamMarkel Starks, Georgetown, G, Sr., 6-1, 175, Accokeek, Md.
Davante Gardner, Marquette, F, Sr., 6-8, 290, Suffolk, Va.Bryce Cotton, Providence, G, Sr., 6-1, 165, Tucson, Ariz.
D'Angelo Harrison, St. John's, G, Jr., 6-4, 204, Missouri City, Texas
Semaj Christon, Xavier, G, So., 6-3, 190, Cincinnati, Ohio

Last edited:

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
You guys are missing the point re: BE/FS1. The league exposure may or may not be better than the A, but for the individual teams it's not even close.

How many ESPN games was any team not named GTown or Marquette in that league going to get? Not many, unless they were going to play UConn or one of the teams that left for the ACC.

FS1 has a regular BE game schedule they all make out better on the exposure front.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Is that exposure or advertising. You could advertise about a product being on a channel, but when most people don't know where the channel is at on their dial, some don't know if they have the channel, and some that want to see the big east don't have the channel, your going to have problems.

I happen to like fs1&2, for some of their content. I'm not interested enough in big east basketball to tune into it, so I can't comment on how it looks on the networks. I do think long term fs1&2, will be a success and I think their hoping this incarnation of the big east does for them what the original did for ESPN.
They have an uphill battle compared to the original Big East/ESPN. College basketball wasn't the monster it is today. Fox is trying to gain a foothold into mature industries (Cable TV/Broadcast sports/live college programming, etc) that was still in its growth phase 30 years ago. Lots of forward looking folks in the 06010 back then.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
FS1 has terrible ratings for sure. Was BC Providence going to be televised on a better national network? Of course not.

That BC isn't good now doesn't much matter - it's not like anyone who doesn't just hate BC remembers or cares that it was publicized during the NFL and World Series games.

ESPN kept showing UConn and Louisville promos all week during games. Should they be embarrassed by how bad UConn is or how bad that game was?

Reaction Score
You guys are missing the point re: BE/FS1. The league exposure may or may not be better than the A, but for the individual teams it's not even close.

How many ESPN games was any team not named GTown or Marquette in that league going to get? Not many, unless they were going to play UConn or one of the teams that left for the ACC.

FS1 has a regular BE game schedule they all make out better on the exposure front.

We're looking at it solely for our perspective, because I'm sure we don't much care about it from their perspective. I congratulated FriarJ for what looked to me like a very good deal for PC. That doesn't change the fact that UConn would have absolutely been shortchanged by the same deal.

Reaction Score
I look forward to finding out, I'm sure Nelson will find a way to plant his victory flag into a pile of crummy results. Patrick Ewing and Chris Mullin can't rebuild the new Big East. As I sit here I can't think of one star player in that league.

Here's the Big East pre-season first team. Just loaded with stars. UCONN by itself has more star power than this.

2013-14 BIG EAST Preseason All-BIG EAST First TeamMarkel Starks, Georgetown, G, Sr., 6-1, 175, Accokeek, Md.
Davante Gardner, Marquette, F, Sr., 6-8, 290, Suffolk, Va.Bryce Cotton, Providence, G, Sr., 6-1, 165, Tucson, Ariz.
D'Angelo Harrison, St. John's, G, Jr., 6-4, 204, Missouri City, Texas
Semaj Christon, Xavier, G, So., 6-3, 190, Cincinnati, Ohio

Gardner is a very good player but not a star.

The only guy who appeals to me there is Cotton.

BUT, where the heck is Doug McDermott?

Reaction Score
In incredible news, the Oxford Style Guide today dropped use of the Oxford comma.

Finally, they agree with me. I put in a lot of hard work getting them to do that. I had some help along the way. I owe everything to my parents, George Clinton and Angela Lansbury.
I will continue to use and teach the Oxford comma, in large part because it helps to clear up ambiguity:

Attachments

• Oxford Comma.jpg
    Oxford Comma.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I believe the lack of ESPN exposure will slowly be a detriment to the Big East. It's an appealing league, got a good tv contact money wise and will be the featured product on a new network. They had to split, they had to take the Fox deal and they've put themselves in the best position to succeed long term.

I'm just not sure Fox Sports will be enough of a national player for the league to truly flourish.

UConn and the AAC current deal sucks, but the exposure on ESPN (sometimes) and ESPNU (a lot) and the short term nature of the deal are the only redeeming qualities.

UConn can stay afloat with buyout money and this awful tv deal in my opinion until the end of the contract. If we're not in a new league and/or the tv deal remains as low monetarily, football is screwed, but basketball probably has some clout to remain top notch for some time.

So, both leagues have issues exposure wise and dollar wise. Asa basketball fan though, to say you'd rather watch AAC hoops over Big East hoops to me, is crazy given the teams. Then again, I've stopped following college sports aside from UConn since realignment.

Reaction Score
UConn and the AAC current deal sucks, but the exposure on ESPN (sometimes) and ESPNU (a lot) and the short term nature of the deal are the only redeeming qualities.

UConn games on CBS Network: 1
UConn games on ESPN/ESPN2 = 15
UConn games on ESPNU = 7

Anyway you cut it, 16 is more than 7.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
UConn games on CBS Network: 1
UConn games on ESPN/ESPN2 = 15
UConn games on ESPNU = 7

Anyway you cut it, 16 is more than 7.

I know that is for this season and I know going forward without Louisville there'll be more ESPN spots to fill, but honestly I'll believe it when I see it.

I know you'll cite contract language, and that's fine, but until I see a schedule3 years from now in the AAC, I'll be skeptical.

Reaction Score
I'm just relieved that Nelson is trumping Fox Sports 1.

Reaction Score
I know that is for this season and I know going forward without Louisville there'll be more ESPN spots to fill, but honestly I'll believe it when I see it.

I know you'll cite contract language, and that's fine, but until I see a schedule3 years from now in the AAC, I'll be skeptical.

Maybe there's no thing as a GOR either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog