Big East basketball on FoxSports | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Big East basketball on FoxSports

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
On Comcast all the HD sports channels are between 1605 and 17-something and there is a short preview in the corner. My point is that except for G-town, the teams who remain in the Big East are not national brands and they chose on their own volition to break away from the large budget football sponsoring programs. So by loose, but, valid, definition, they chose to become a mid-major conference. By and large, a Big East game will not peek much interest. If interest is not peeked, then did they really gain the exposure they were after? I say no.

Christ its pique not peek.

There is plenty of interest in Big East basketball. This is inane.

What choice did they have? Take less money to hang out with SMU and Memphis?

You are arguing they aren't getting exposure...

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Fox paid the new Big East more than market-value to get them to split away - the ratings will likely suck, but the money doesn't.

And it's a far more compelling basketball league than the collection of s--- that we're tied to in the AAC.

Reaction Score
Fox paid the new Big East more than market-value to get them to split away - the ratings will likely suck, but the money doesn't.

And it's a far more compelling basketball league than the collection of s--- that we're tied to in the AAC.

Sorry, but I think you guys are out of your minds.

They are making $1.5-2m more a year in TV revenue. But they are buried. Most of the fans are complaining about not having FS1. It is 10x better to be on ESPN and making $1-2m less.

I can't believe this is even a debate.

Not playing Georgetown, PC and St. John's absolutely sucks. But next year when UConn is playing teams like SMU with Mudiay and Frazier, Cincy and Memphis with all that talent, the eyes of the nation are going to be on the AAC, not on the BE.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You're crazy if you think the AAC is going to get any regular prime placement on ESPN.

We're going to be ESPN's packing peanuts to fill in gaps their favored brands leave in the schedule.

It's already happening - games shoved to ESPNU, games sold off to a truly invisible CBS Sports channel, games at 6 pm on a Sunday afternoon.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
FS1 looks totally shoddy to me. Granted, I only watched parts of BC-PC but what I saw was ridiculously bad. The HD was pixellated, and there was a gigantic graphic at the bottom where you couldn't see the players' feet near the sideline. Hard to tell when the ball was going out. But that's not the reason I disagree with you on NBC. Last year when I watched the Premier league on Fox it seemed like a rebroadcast of some low production British public Tv event, while now NBC is bringing all the bells and whistles to Premier league events, they look like the NFL. In fact, they even have those cameras over the top of the field like the NFL and you have overhead closeups of players especially when you see nice footwork.
This....I was going to use the EPL as the prime example of NBCSN being far superior than FSN. Many EPL games last year were very low quality and their HD was horrific. I liked their studio crew but whatever. NBC has blown them away this year. On top of that, I can watch any game for free on-line. When there's only one game being shown when 5 others are occurring, I love the ability to watch my team. With FoxSoccer I was lucky to see my team play maybe three times all season.

Reaction Score
You're crazy if you think the AAC is going to get any regular prime placement on ESPN.

We're going to be ESPN's packing peanuts to fill in gaps their favored brands leave in the schedule.

It's already happening - games shoved to ESPNU, games sold off to a truly invisible CBS Sports channel, games at 6 pm on a Sunday afternoon.

I'm scratching my head here. They have 16 games on ESPN, ESPN2 and CBS.

Are you being serious? I can't believe you're serious.

Meanwhile, schools like NC State have 4 games. 4 to UConn's 16. Cuse fans are complaining the games aren't available at all. PC fans can't see ANY of the FS2 games.

This is truly bizarre.

Have you even looked at the schedule?

Reaction Score
This....I was going to use the EPL as the prime example of NBCSN being far superior than FSN. Many EPL games last year were very low quality and their HD was horrific. I liked their studio crew but whatever. NBC has blown them away this year. On top of that, I can watch any game for free on-line. When there's only one game being shown when 5 others are occurring, I love the ability to watch my team. With FoxSoccer I was lucky to see my team play maybe three times all season.

It really is night and day but NBC has been a trailblazer in sports for a long time. When they want to do something right, they do it well. I have to admit to not watching anything else on NBC so I don't know what is going on with NASCAR or boxing or whatever.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Christ its pique not peek.

There is plenty of interest in Big East basketball. This is inane.

What choice did they have? Take less money to hang out with SMU and Memphis?

You are arguing they aren't getting exposure...
Peak, Peek, Pique. Who cares? I didn't realize we were back in ENGL 109 on , 3rd floor, Arjona.

While we're on the subject, "Before the late eighteenth century, English writers generally believed that as long as the reader could understand what was being written, the spelling of words did not matter. Another problem with establishing a uniform English spelling was that the alphabet was borrowed from another language, Roman. The Roman alphabet was never intended to represent English sounds..." - The Book of Totally Useless Information, Don Voorhees

Oh, and you didn't do it in this particular quoted post, but a proper ellipsis does not typically include more than three dots.

Last edited:

Husky25

Reaction Score
People who want to communicate without looking stupid.
People who look stupid on college sports message board include:

1) Overzealous grammar police
2) Those who do not know a great deal about a subject upon that which they opine.
3) Unreasonably unreceptive to reasonable opposing points of view

You have fallen into all three categories over the past few days, IMO.

Be that as it may, I'm done with this little side discussion. Feel free to add anything constructive to the topic at hand. If not...have a nice day, Whale.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
People who look stupid on college sports message board include:

1) Overzealous grammar police
2) Those who do not know a great deal about a subject upon that which they opine.
3) Unreasonably unreceptive to reasonable opposing points of view

You have fallen into all three categories over the past few days, IMO.

Be that as it may, I'm done with this little side discussion. Feel free to add anything constructive to the topic at hand. If not...have a nice day, Whale.

LOL gold.

You don't mind having your point look even stupider because you don't know the proper words that's your issue.

The reason why I know Parker is a scam is because I actually know exactly how that those transactions work.

As for the topic at hand you are claiming the Big East isn't getting exposure - which is so patently ridiculous to anyone who owns a television and watches sports it's painful.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I saw many Big East commercials during the World Series. And Fox NFL games. That's exposure.

Reaction Score
I will go out on a limb and predict that without an affiliation with FBS schools, that interest in the Big East will recede down to mid major level.

Also, nobody knows where Creighton is, and nobody cares. And nobody outside of St. Louis and Boston gave a crap about the WS so the exposure wasn't all that.

Reaction Score
I saw many Big East commercials during the World Series. And Fox NFL games. That's exposure.

That great exposure resulted in no ratings and nobody watched.

They invalidated themselves with their very first game.

BC kicked off the BE on FOX. A team that is 0-3 with losses to the Mac and A10.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Peak, Peek, Pique. Who cares? I didn't realize we were back in ENGL 109 on , 3rd floor, Arjona.

While we're on the subject, "Before the late eighteenth century, English writers generally believed that as long as the reader could understand what was being written, the spelling of words did not matter. Another problem with establishing a uniform English spelling was that the alphabet was borrowed from another language, Roman. The Roman alphabet was never intended to represent English sounds..." - The Book of Totally Useless Information, Don Voorhees

Oh, and you didn't do it in this particular quoted post, but a proper ellipsis does not typically include more than three dots.
Roman isn't a language: Latin is.

We shape how an alphabet works. The way we pronounce certain letters (say, "r") differs from the way other languages pronounce it. And the alphabet has evolved. We had other letters (æ, þ, ð, ƿ) and were not part of the Latin alphabet that we abandoned, and letters like "j" and "w" that we adopted independently.

My point it: Voorhees's point is stupid, and citing a book to read while you are sh¡tting is probably not the best way to prove your point.

Reaction Score
Heh, I like this language discussion on the Boneyard. Getting English to where it is today took some doing. The first guy that tried to write it down at all was a Swede and it made for some funny reading.

Here's the first line ever written in English: :"Þiss boc iss nemmnedd Orrmulum forrþi þatt Orrm itt wrohhte."

"This book is named Ormulum for thee that Orm it wrote."

Or...

"I named this book Ormulum because my name is Orm."

Husky25

Reaction Score
Roman isn't a language: Latin is.

We shape how an alphabet works. The way we pronounce certain letters (say, "r") differs from the way other languages pronounce it. And the alphabet has evolved. We had other letters (æ, þ, ð, ƿ) and were not part of the Latin alphabet that we abandoned, and letters like "j" and "w" that we adopted independently.

My point it: Voorhees's point is stupid, and citing a book to read while you are sh¡tting is probably not the best way to prove your point.
It was a quoted passage. Take it up with the Mr. Voorhees or the publisher. Far being for me to plagiarize a published work.

Reaction Score
Heh, I like this language discussion on the Boneyard. Getting English to where it is today took some doing. The first guy that tried to write it down at all was a Swede and it made for some funny reading.

Here's the first line ever written in English: :"Þiss boc iss nemmnedd Orrmulum forrþi þatt Orrm itt wrohhte."

"This book is named Ormulum for thee that Orm it wrote."

Or...

"I named this book Ormulum because my name is Orm."
I take it you mean the first line ever written in a "Middle English" of sorts, because there is certainly English before the Ormulum.

Reaction Score
It was a quoted passage. Take it up with the Mr. Voorhees or the publisher. Far being for me to plagiarize a published work.
Well, my point was that, aside from being wrong, its somewhat important to vet sources, and a book to be paired with sh¡tting is roughly of the same accuracy as the action.

(Note: While I think it is best to try to get your words right, I generally didn't think it was a worth anyone pointing out that you, in fact, had used the wrong word. Never leads anywhere).

Reaction Score
I take it you mean the first line ever written in a "Middle English" of sorts, because there is certainly English before the Ormulum.

Oh, I'm talking about orthography. For sure there is English, just not set down orthographically in this fashion.

I also think it's just funny stuff.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Well, my point was that, aside from being wrong, its somewhat important to vet sources, and a book to be paired with sh¡tting is roughly of the same accuracy as the action.

(Note: While I think it is best to try to get your words right, I generally didn't think it was a worth anyone pointing out that you, in fact, had used the wrong word. Never leads anywhere).
Funny. I used that passage because I had in fact just read it in my "office." At the end of the day, I was trying to express how stupid the grammar police was on a sports message board, when the point is clearly understood (OTOH, one of my pet peeves is not know the correct use of their, there, and they're. Though I rarely point it out).

I agree that a quick proofread is warranted, but the Boneyard is not the Supreme Court and our opinions are not conferred via legal brief. There are surely more important issues to waste calories on. upon which to waste calories (Almost ended my sentence with a preposition!! tsk, tsk :rolleyes:).

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Dude BC is in the ACC. The Big East beat the ACC in that game.

This one is funny.

Reaction Score
Dude BC is in the ACC. The Big East beat the ACC in that game.

This one is funny.

Wow, are you really this dense?

They had a scrub team in their first game.

Everyone knows what conference BC is in. In fact, I have a thread about BC's/ACC's ineptitude!

holy moly, wake up!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

Exposure is exposure. They are making a ton of dough. They are cleaning the AAC's clock in recruiting. Game, set, match.

Reaction Score
Exposure is exposure. They are making a ton of dough. They are cleaning the AAC's clock in recruiting. Game, set, match.

1. No
2. No
3. No

Everything you wrote is wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads