Big 12 will make significant push for UConn (merged) | Page 20 | The Boneyard

Big 12 will make significant push for UConn (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I was just correcting the number of championships. That's some thing a Connecticut fan shouldn't get wrong.

In any event if it's all about football why was 1 - 11 Colorado the first choice to the Big 12? Why did Rutgers, with it outstanding football pedigree, get the nod for the Big 10? People love the phrase "football drives the bus" because that is the source of the revenue for the vast majority of media contracts. (FWIW, That's only true because the NCAA retains the considerable revenue from the March madness tournament every year. In a month, the NCAA makes enough money to fund a huge bureaucratic monstrosity, including paying its president a multi million dollar salary S, plus it pays for every championship, at every level of college sports, other than football. It is an enormous amount of money.)

In any event, as shown by the examples above the driving forces of what makes an acceptable candidate in any round of conference consolidation, because it is consolidation not expansion and not even "realignment" because the pool the first tier teams keeps shrinking, varies due to the needs of the various conferences at the time of the consolidation event.

That said, football being more successful certainly would help us.
Rutgers had strictly to do with its media territory. The Big 10 Network was allowed to charge more to carry it in the media market for Rutgers, which included NYC. It sure wasn't football prowess, although it was a large state school fitting the academic model of the B1G (which mattered more 10 or so years ago). But strictly I'm sure attractive from a financial sense.

Other than that they were a formal member, I don't know what Colorado's attraction was? The Denver media market? I'm sure if I had the ambition to read enough articles I could find out, but I'm not that devoted.

Your 2nd paragraph is close to accurate, but I would reference PTI's Tony Kornheiser - It is always about the money. Always about the money. After that, yes, other driving forces.

Reaction Score
Rutgers had strictly to do with its media territory. The Big 10 Network was allowed to charge more to carry it in the media market for Rutgers, which included NYC. It sure wasn't football prowess, although it was a large state school fitting the academic model of the B1G (which mattered more 10 or so years ago). But strictly I'm sure attractive from a financial sense.

Other than that they were a formal member, I don't know what Colorado's attraction was? The Denver media market? I'm sure if I had the ambition to read enough articles I could find out, but I'm not that devoted.

Your 2nd paragraph is close to accurate, but I would reference PTI's Tony Kornheiser - It is always about the money. Always about the money. After that, yes, other driving forces.
The attraction of Colorado is "Coach Prime". They are rolling the dice that his flamboyant ways are going to attract recruits, resurrect the program, and bring more eyeballs to TV sets. Plus they were already a member of the Big 12 so there are built-in rivalries.
1691607892625.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
In any event if it's all about football why was 1 - 11 Colorado the first choice to the Big 12? Why did Rutgers, with it outstanding football pedigree, get the nod for the Big 10? P
Easy - Denver media market and NYC media market for....football. Doesn't matter how strong Colorado and Rutgers are, what matters is the eyeballs they bring to the BIG 12 and BIG 10 media packages.

Reaction Score
Easy - Denver media market and NYC media market for....football. Doesn't matter how strong Colorado and Rutgers are, what matters is the POTENTIAL eyeballs they bring to the BIG 12 and BIG 10 media packages.
FIFY just a bit.

Fan support is number two.

Reaction Score
Outside of Rutgers alumni, who in NYC is watching Rutgers football ?
It's not Rutgers football - it's Big 10 football (and all the other Big 10 sports shown on whatever media platform the B1G contracts with - but everything else is secondary). No other reason why the B1G added Rutgers a few years ago.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Easy - Denver media market and NYC media market for....football. Doesn't matter how strong Colorado and Rutgers are, what matters is the eyeballs they bring to the BIG 12 and BIG 10 media packages.
Exactly. Those additions weren't about football prowess.

sun

Reaction Score
In 2018, Rutgers was considered to be the most popular college football team in New York City

It seems like they quoted the same exact data provided by the Nielsen ratings mentioned in this 2012 article.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
In 2018, Rutgers was considered to be the most popular college football team in New York City

It seems like they quoted the same exact data provided by the Nielsen ratings mentioned in this 2012 article.

Yeah, Rutgers isn’t the same team since 2012

CC8B041F-390C-4916-ABC2-386C22C35A31.jpeg

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The article said that ESPN told BC what to do, even though ESPN denied it. Guess who I believe. :rolleyes:

I was looking/listening to a Triangle based Podcast today, and they were talking with the former head of the ACC Presidents Chair. He admitted that Louisville was picked over UCONN precisely because FSU and Clemson wanted the Cards. So BC had nothing to do with it. That's pretty much what was being talked about in/on the sports media down here back in 2012 or whenever it was.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
It's not Rutgers football - it's Big 10 football (and all the other Big 10 sports shown on whatever media platform the B1G contracts with - but everything else is secondary). No other reason why the B1G added Rutgers a few years ago.
But it is not - in any case - about how many folks are actually watching. It is about how many people subscribe to a service (such as DirecTV) that carries the Big Ten Network. Having Rutgers in the market allowed the BTN to up their fee to be carried.

As to folks watching - yeah, there are a lot of alumni of B1G programs in the NY area, although they were probably watching before Rutgers. DirecTV carrying BTN has nothing to do with Rutgers and never did, ditto the other carriers.

Reaction Score
I've been discussing facts.
No attack but you are posting your opinion. Not all facts as you claim. This team will do fine with out worrying about air flight turbulence.
I really hope you can find your comfort and understanding of flight phobia. Players traveling world wide and none bringing up the topic of air travel fear.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Agreed. That's the point. The Big Ten doesn't need Rutgers for people in NYC to watch that conference (B10) play football.
Rutgers adds almost zero in additional viewers.
and the biggest Big Ten games (that include Michigan, Ohio State and Penn State) are already broadcast on the major networks anyway, which cable or satellite subscribers would already get without the Big Ten network.

Reaction Score
I was just correcting the number of championships. That's some thing a Connecticut fan shouldn't get wrong.

In any event if it's all about football why was 1 - 11 Colorado the first choice to the Big 12? Why did Rutgers, with it outstanding football pedigree, get the nod for the Big 10? People love the phrase "football drives the bus" because that is the source of the revenue for the vast majority of media contracts. (FWIW, That's only true because the NCAA retains the considerable revenue from the March madness tournament every year. In a month, the NCAA makes enough money to fund a huge bureaucratic monstrosity, including paying its president a multi million dollar salary, plus it pays for every championship, at every level of college sports, other than football. It is an enormous amount of money.)

In any event, as shown by the examples above the driving forces of what makes an acceptable candidate in any round of conference consolidation, because it is consolidation not expansion and not even "realignment" because the pool the first tier teams keeps shrinking, varies due to the needs of the various conferences at the time of the consolidation event.

That said, football being more successful certainly would help us.
Oops, sorry I added wrong in my head! 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, thanks for catching that!!

CL82

Reaction Score
Oops, sorry I added wrong in my head! 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, 24, thanks for catching that!!
Yeah, no worries. I remember it by thinking 5+5+11+3=24 (Men's basketball plus field hockey equals 10+11 for women's basketball is 21 and then just add in the three soccer championships.)

Reaction Score
But all of the schools in the soon to be Autonomy 4 conferences are deserving of $30,000,000+ a year?
Until the conferences adopt relegation-which WILL happen down the road (Vandy, Rutgers, Northwestern), yes they are as that is what the market bears.

CL82

Reaction Score
Until the conferences adopt relegation-which WILL happen down the road (Vandy, Rutgers, Northwestern), yes they are as that is what the market bears.
That's a fair response. Although, one could argue that what they're currently getting is a statement of their standalone value because it was negotiated as a part of a group.

Reaction Score
This thread will certainly generate a ton of responses. My first thought is how badly does UConn want to join a P5 conference, especially one whose member schools are mostly located in the midwest, and as the article mentions would have travel issues, and their football team is still rebuilding, and two, what is the projected financial health of the Big 12 in the next 5-10 years?

Is this a "Godfather" offer? Would this be a move UConn is willing to make, or are they better off for now staying put in the Big East and perhaps waiting for things to settle down in 2-3 years and then addressing the possibility of changing conferences (assuming an offer would still be on the table)?

The Big 12 is leaking oil and taking on water right now with the departure of Texas and Oklahoma. I’m not sure that is a vessel you want to board right now. I know UConn is eager to join a P5 conference, but I question if this would really benefit them in the long run. A better offer might be forthcoming down the road in a few years.

Carnac, there is no more "Power 5" conferences. And I seriously doubt that Uconn will ever allocate the resources to move itself into the contender for a national championship. While the other schools are cannibalizing themselves we will be so much better off staying put and giving other teams in the league more motivation to strengthen themselves.

Reaction Score
Carnac, there is no more "Power 5" conferences. And I seriously doubt that Uconn will ever allocate the resources to move itself into the contender for a national championship. While the other schools are cannibalizing themselves we will be so much better off staying put and giving other teams in the league more motivation to strengthen themselves.

While I understand these decisions are being made soley for the money, I don't see any benefits in UConn leaving the Big East. Is the Big12 a better fit competitively? That's where I'm stuck.

Sure, with the recent additions of teams like Arizona and Colorado may help buffer the loss of Texas and Oklahoma, is it enough?

Iowa State's a much different team from last year. Will they be able to maintain their ranked 25 status this year? Their freshman class will be the key to that answer.

Baylor, seems like they'll continue to be competitive, but beyond them who else? KSU could be rebuilding after Lee leaves. TCU will be in year 2 of the new coaching staff. The move for WBB would be lateral at best.

Reaction Score
While I understand these decisions are being made soley for the money, I don't see any benefits in UConn leaving the Big East. Is the Big12 a better fit competitively? That's where I'm stuck.

Sure, with the recent additions of teams like Arizona and Colorado may help buffer the loss of Texas and Oklahoma, is it enough?

Iowa State's a much different team from last year. Will they be able to maintain their ranked 25 status this year? Their freshman class will be the key to that answer.

Baylor, seems like they'll continue to be competitive, but beyond them who else? KSU could be rebuilding after Lee leaves. TCU will be in year 2 of the new coaching staff. The move for WBB would be lateral at best.
For football, I think the Big12 will be better fit for UConn than the Big East. But that’s just my opinion.

Reaction Score
Because you can't keep losing money at a high rate. Someday the championship contentions will begin to fade and then the athetic department will begin to preach "we just want to be competitive." And gradually that will fade to just hoping you get an NCAA bid.

In order to recruit you need money. Not only the player but the facilitiy. The "next Geno" the "next Hurely" won't stick around if you are not playing for titles. This is all about money.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom