Big 12 will make significant push for UConn (merged) | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Big 12 will make significant push for UConn (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
boss_dangling_carrot_in_front_of_employee_800_wht1.jpg

Reaction Score
You know it will be big news if the Ivy League decides to move up to FBS and then adds Stanford and Cal Berkeley lol! Ivy League will be one of the richest conferences just from collective endowment values!
A very interesting idea...... birds of a feather, but not a bird-brain idea!
Imagine the Stanford band and the Berkeley Marching bands facing off against
the likes of Yale and Harvard.... highjinks all around!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Yep. Take out Florida State, insert any school not currently in the SEC, Big 10, or Big 12

Reaction Score
Did you draw this?

A very interesting idea...... birds of a feather, but not a bird-brain idea!
Imagine the Stanford band and the Berkeley Marching bands facing off against
the likes of Yale and Harvard.... highjinks all around!
Ah yes, the colleges with the scramble bands - Stanford's band even lost a football game to Cal in the 80's. All Ivies with the exception of Cornell feature scramble bands. Scramble bands' halftime shows require you to listen to the narrative in order to make sense of the formations and the corresponding music. None of them spell out things like "Ohio."

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Shouldn’t it show the foward end of the ship sinking first instead of the aft end of the ship? Next time take a photo with your smart phone instead of working from memory.
I'm a little puzzled by your response and @broooce's. I didn't draw the picture. I was asking if @Carnac drew the picture.

Yes, Titanic went down bow first. I was planning to comment about that pending Carnac's response. :cool:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I think UConn could be one of the next ones to get in, the northeast corridor/NYC market, a newly competitive football team with an excellent coach, and two premier basketball teams, that the Big 12 wants more than football fans might think.
With west coast teams (Stanford & Cal) willing to join (if accepted) the ACC which is comprised mostly of EAST Coast schools, should dismiss the concerns of posters here that are complaining about the possible increase in travel for UConn sports teams. If Stanford and Cal are willing to do it, so can UConn. Get in where you fit in. Asking to join the ACC is a hell of a stretch. It shows us how desperate they are. If the ACC says no, what's their other option.......the Mountain wants no part of the PAC 12 teams. Go independent? Stanford and Cal are quickly running out of options.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
I'm a little puzzled by your response and @broooce's. I didn't draw the picture. I was asking if @Carnac drew the picture.

Yes, Titanic went down bow first. I was planning to comment about that pending Carnac's response. :cool:
Go for it Gus. I answered your query. I'm aware that the Titanic went down "bow first." They didn't back into that iceberg. :rolleyes: I simply picked an illustration that I liked. It served my purpose and got the message across. ;) Everyone that saw it understood the reference.

Here........how's this?

1691519509790.png

Last edited:

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Go for it Gus. I answered your query. I'm aware that the Titanic went down "bow first." They didn't back into that iceberg. :rolleyes: I simply picked an illustration that I liked. It served my purpose and got the message across. ;) Everyone that saw it understood the reference.

Here........how's this?

View attachment 90484
I was just confirming that you didn't draw it before I commented about the bow-first.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
WOW....Who gives a rats rear end about the Titanic going down bow first. Now you have the idiots, (both the conferences and the TV networks) who are currently ruining college sports by saying the heck with tradition and conference rivalries. I guess it's all about the money now.

Carnac

Reaction Score

Here........how's this?

View attachment 90484
I know this is unrelated to the topic of the thread, but here are some interesting questions about the sinking of the Titanic........
Did any passengers survive trapped inside the Titanic as it descended to the ocean floor?
There is much speculation surrounding the final moments of those who were trapped inside the Titanic as it descended to the ocean floor.

Why did so many people perish on the Titanic since each had a life jacket?
The problem wasn't that they drowned; the water was a few degrees above freezing. Once in it, hypothermia would rapidly set in as their bodies lost heat. The cold killed them.

While some believe that all passengers met their fate, others suggest that a select few may have survived.
Unfortunately, there is no concrete evidence to support either theory and the mystery may never be solved.
Regardless of what happened in those final moments, it is clear that the tragedy had a lasting impact on many people's lives.
No. At 28° F the water was too cold for maneating shark species. The only sharks that live in water that cold are not dangerous to humans.

Karen Randolph -
I’ve heard no stories of shark attacks at the Titanic’s sinking. Of course, few people who were thrashing in the water lived to tell about it. And the survivors in lifeboats kept their distance from people in the water, for fear of the boat being swamped.

Reaction Score
WOW....Who gives a rats rear end about the Titanic going down bow first. Now you have the idiots, (both the conferences and the TV networks) who are currently ruining college sports by saying the heck with tradition and conference rivalries. I guess it's all about the money now.
Always was and forever will be

Reaction Score
Glad you came to. We were worried.

Reaction Score

sorry I was replying to Zarathustra's comment - I have no opinion on the picture.

Reaction Score

Sorry for puzzling you. I should have replied to Carnac’s post instead of yours. I was just trying to add a little humor to your question regarding who drew the picture by recommending using a cell phone photo to capture the moment.

sun

Reaction Score
With west coast teams (Stanford & Cal) willing to join (if accepted) the ACC which is comprised mostly of EAST Coast schools, should dismiss the concerns of posters here that are complaining about the possible increase in travel for UConn sports teams. If Stanford and Cal are willing to do it, so can UConn. Get in where you fit in. Asking to join the ACC is a hell of a stretch. It shows us how desperate they are. If the ACC says no, what's their other option.......the Mountain wants no part of the PAC 12 teams. Go independent? Stanford and Cal are quickly running out of options.

There's different groups that can have legitimate input & complain about travel distances.
There's AD's & administrators, there's coaches & staff, there's the athletes, and there's the fans.
And there's also the politicians.
They all have different perspectives.
Some simply want to put the interests of the athletes first & don't want them to suffer & miss a lot of classes.
It's been rumored that some coaches may want to leave their HC job over the increased amount of traveling.
And who really knows how much that increased travel can affect the recruitment & retention of specific individual athletes.
There's no right opinions, only different perspectives.
Then in the end after the decisions are made the cookie ends up crumbling every which way possible.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
There's different groups that can have legitimate input & complain about travel distances.
There's AD's & administrators, there's coaches & staff, there's the athletes, and there's the fans.
Some simply want to put the interests of the athletes first & don't want them to suffer & miss a lot of classes.
It's been rumored that some coaches may want to leave their HC job over the increased amount of traveling.
And who really knows how much that increased travel can affect the recruitment of specific individual athletes.
Then in the end after the decisions are made the cookie ends up crumbling every which way possible.

The increased travel is an interesting point, when it comes to basketball, especially when you look at players who come from prep programs. A fair portion of them are doing a fair bit of travel as it is before they enter college.

When you think of all the exposure events, like Nike Tournament of Champions, GEICO nationals along with the travel schedules they publish, I wonder if it's all that different to them. When I think of how often OSBA programs like Crestwood are on the road, it doesn't feel like it is.

sun

Reaction Score
The increased travel is an interesting point, when it comes to basketball, especially when you look at players who come from prep programs. A fair portion of them are doing a fair bit of travel as it is before they enter college.

When you think of all the exposure events, like Nike Tournament of Champions, GEICO nationals along with the travel schedules they publish, I wonder if it's all that different to them. When I think of how often OSBA programs like Crestwood are on the road, it doesn't feel like it is.
If one conference has less air traveling time then another conference, then why wouldn't an athlete factor that in when deciding on their choice of college.
And I also added the word retention in addition to recruitment because after they join the team, if they really don't like the amount of travel then they can be more inclined to transfer to another program.
Players don't need to express their true reasons for leaving UConn or deciding to not come in the 1st place.
There have been plenty of players who have decided not to come while we're still in the Big East.
Travel would only be another reason to factor in.
If coaches could quit over it then players can too.

Carnac

Reaction Score
And who really knows how much that increased travel can affect the recruitment of specific individual athletes.
Your points are noted. I understand that who you are determines how you look at conference realignment. Administrator, booster, coach, player, fan, or parent. Today with teams changing conferences and allegiances by the hour, college sports as we knew them as recently as last year no longer exist. It's a new day. New and different priorities are the order of the day. I understand the different perspectives of those interests you mentioned. The new order for TODAY is "go BIG, or go home." No one is going to wait for you, feel sorry for you, or pamper you. Get in where you fit in wherever that may be.

As many posters have already acknowledged that. Everyone is simply trying to secure their fair share of conference compensation. Why did Oklahoma and Texas leave for the SEC? More compensation. Why did UCLA and USC leave the PAC 12? More compensation. It's the same with every team that changed conference affiliations this summer, more compensation and in some cases more stability. Colorado head coach Deion Sanders offered his perspective on schools changing conferences in this unprecedented fashion. He said: "They're chasing that bag."

Every program in D-1 is chasing that bag, including UConn whose athletic department (it was reported here) is currently operating at a $45 million dollar deficit. Most folks here in the yard are aware of this. It doesn't mean we have to like it, but we understand that is the order of the day/times. As fans, there is nothing we can do except sit back, watch, and hope for the best for our team. :cool:

Last edited:

sun

Reaction Score
Your points are noted. I understand that who you are determines how you look at conference realignment. Administrator, booster, coach, player, fan, or parent. Today with teams changing conferences and allegiances by the hour, college sports as we knew them as recently as last year no longer exist. It's a new day. New and different priorities are the order of the day. I understand the different perspectives of those interests you mentioned. The new order for TODAY is "go BIG, or go home." No one is going to wait for you, feel sorry for you, or pamper you. Get in where you fit in wherever that may be.

As many posters have already acknowledged that. Everyone is simply trying to secure their fair share of conference compensation. Why did Oklahoma and Texas leave for the SEC? More compensation. Why did UCLA and USC leave the PAC 12? More compensation. It's the same with every team that changed conference affiliations this summer, more compensation and in some cases more stability. Colorado head coach Deion Sanders offered his perspective on schools changing conferences in this unprecedented fashion. He said: "They're chasing that bag."

Every program in D-1 is chasing that bag, including UConn whose athletic department (it was reported here) is currently operating at a $45 million dollar deficit. Most folks here in the yard are aware of this. It doesn't mean we have to like it, but we understand that is the order of the day/times. As fans, there is nothing we can do except sit back, watch, and hope for the best for our team. :cool:
I think it's Wyoming that receives $6 million per year in MW conference payouts.
They're not a bad football team.
It took BYU football many years of being an independent before receiving their Power 5 offer.
Maybe double the amount of years that UConn football has been independent.

US Sen .Chris Murphy recently Tweeted to the effect that the UConn athletic deficit is being misrepresented because of the amount of student subsidies that are being directed towards it, and that the deficit is not as bad as it appears.
He's been lobbying against leaving the Big East.
That would mean that it's not about schools getting the money they deserve but rather it's about some schools getting more money than they deserve for not wanting to subsidize enough of their own athletic budgets themselves.
After all, the students are not being paid as employees & suffer injuries, yet some schools are profiting mightily over it which has now led to proposals in CA & in Congress calling for all student athletes to be compensated, have their medical expenses paid for & to be able to unionize as employees.
There could be ramifications for having such disparities between the rich schools & poor schools.
There seems to be a lot of collusion going on with the TV networks & it's the athletes that will suffer the consequences.

There have been some very tragic airplane crashes in history involving college sports teams where players have died.
Let's not make believe that air travel is perfectly safe.
Recent close calls on the national news have shown that there's been more close calls involving airplanes than ever both in the air & on the runways.
To rely on long air flights for so many NCAA sports only increases the risks & athletes are bound to learn about it one way or another.
It doesn't mean that they're all going to like the additional risk of longer flights.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
. Nobody is gonna give us 30 million plus per year and it’s ridiculous to think there are individuals in the administration who believe otherwise.
But all of the schools in the soon to be Autonomy 4 conferences are deserving of $30,000,000+ a year?

Reaction Score
If one conference has less air traveling time then another conference, then why wouldn't an athlete factor that in when deciding on their choice of college.
And I also added the word retention in addition to recruitment because after they join the team, if they really don't like the amount of travel then they can be more inclined to transfer to another program.
Players don't need to express their true reasons for leaving UConn or deciding to not come in the 1st place.
There have been plenty of players who have decided not to come while we're still in the Big East.
Travel would only be another reason to factor in.
If coaches could quit over it then players can too.

You're missing my point.

To some of these players, travel may not be a factor because they're used to it already. These recruits are committing with the full knowledge that this is the reality.

There are top prospects in Oregon again this for a Nike event. Some of these players just finished competing on the summer circuit, FIBA tournaments, etc. When they go back to school, many of these top HS prep programs will have an extensive travel schedule for their season in place. Not to mention the Top 100/150 events that are being announced for the fall. It's already happening at the HS/prep level.

sun

Reaction Score
You're missing my point.

To some of these players, travel may not be a factor because they're used to it already. These recruits are committing with the full knowledge that this is the reality.

There are top prospects in Oregon again this for a Nike event. Some of these players just finished competing on the summer circuit, FIBA tournaments, etc. When they go back to school, many of these top HS prep programs will have an extensive travel schedule for their season in place. Not to mention the Top 100/150 events that are being announced for the fall. It's already happening at the HS/prep level.
I understood your point.
But that doesn't pertain to coaches who may not want the extensive travel associated with changing conferences.
If a coach leaves for another job then it can disrupt the whole program & effect recruiting too.
College coaches aren't necessarily involved with what players do for AAU.
They may fly around plenty while doing their scouting, but then they're also faced with choices about where they prefer to coach.
There's also more sports involved than just basketball.
There's college football players who don't expected to get drafted into the pros.
Not every player in every sport is elite or expects to become a pro athlete or even receives NIL money.
Who speaks up for their interests?
Will the best next prospective UConn HC want to travel as much as the Big 12 schedule requires or will they decide to not even apply for the job?
There's many different perspectives about what's best for athletes, coaches, staff, fans etc...
The money & football are only single parts of all of it.
At what point does it begin to affect player performance & the mental attitude of the everyone involved?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#